TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ANKLELOCK

ECW One Night Stand II-It's Official

JBL/RVD... honestly I didn't see that one coming, but it's the most plausable when I think about it. HHH doesn't have to job to RVD, and Cena doesn't go full blown heel.

JBL given some liberties that the ECW PPV will grant could work a nice match with Rob. Plus it gives a nice brand switch when RVD takes the title off JBL.

WWE gives us the least fun option possible. Didn't Boogeyman just beat JBL? Ahhh bad booking leading to a mediocre match...what a combination that will be.

Guest Human Highlight Reel

I don't see it happening. It's been stated several time that the MITB is only for the title of the winner's brand, so I don't see them changing that. Plus they'd have to give JBL two titles, along with giving Mysterio around a month long title reign, which I don't see them doing. The other option would be to have JBL lose the US Title, and I don't think they'll have someone who just lost a midcard title win the World Title. I guess I'll believe it when someone else says it.

Yeah, the JBL thing has the most continuity to it from last year, but it would have made more sense had RVD not shifted to Raw in the draft.

I just read that the ECW TV tapings will be right before the SD taping, so this might make some kind of sense.

The main problem I have with this is that RVD beating JBL doesn't mean shit. The guy just jobbed to the fucking Boogeyman, so I kinda doubt anyone would think JBL has a hope in hell of beating RVD in an ECW match.

Here are some positives of this idea:

--JBL would get easy heel heat at the show, and also be the most likely to show his ass and get beat down.

--The one style of match that JBL is any good in is a violent hardcore match, and that's what this would be. RVD has chemistry with some odd opponents.

--If they are going to do the "RVD throws down the belt like Shane Douglas" idea then doing it with the more meaningless World Title is easier than doing it with the WWE title. I can believe RVD would throw down the World Title in disgust, saying it was a belt from a dead company (WCW) and was brought back as a vanity belt for HHH.

--If they wanted to do something cool as hell, RVD could spray paint "ECW" on the World Title belt in a move that would echo the NWO.

The thing I don't like is, yeah, I know the World Heavyweight Title was basically brought in as Triple H's trophy originally, but it still represents in image and name the WCW and NWA World Titles, like it or not. I don't think that legacy needs to be trashed to do this angle.

Maybe they'll do something like this: RVD beats JBL for the World Heavyweight Title at ONS 2. Then, shortly after on a Smackdown episode or the next pay-per-view, RVD loses it in some total screwjob fashion. Paul Heyman comes out the next Smackdown and talks about how RVD represents the legacy of ECW, and how he's still a World Champion. Then he brings out RVD and proclaims him the new ECW World Heavyweight Champion.

I like it except the part where RVD loses. Even in screwjob fashion. Screwjobs are now such an ingrained part of finishes, that now they don't mean anything. If anything, you are seen as outsmarted if you get screwed since that's now the norm. RVD has to look strong going into ECW as the new face of the promotion. You can't have a guy be proclaimed as champion with those circumstances because I think it hurts the guy and worse, hurts the title. If screwjobs meant something in this day and age, I'd agree. But since every show has at least one screwjob finish, if not several, I'd say you don't have RVD lose anything going into a new promotion.

Guest Kobe24KGold

RVD vs. JBL would make me think twice about ordering ONS II. The fans have waited too fucking long to see RVD win the world title. I do not want to see him win the belt that means jack shit (the World Heavyweight Title) and I don't want him to have to wrestle the worst champion in history, JBL.

JBL = overrated piece of shit that makes me change the channel.

Fuck that.

I don't see it happening. It's been stated several time that the MITB is only for the title of the winner's brand, so I don't see them changing that. Plus they'd have to give JBL two titles, along with giving Mysterio around a month long title reign, which I don't see them doing. The other option would be to have JBL lose the US Title, and I don't think they'll have someone who just lost a midcard title win the World Title. I guess I'll believe it when someone else says it.

When was that MITB rule made? I've never heard of it and you have to remember this is WWE, sense doesn't mean anything.

Truth be told, I don't think it was ever mentioned explicitly this year. Besides, since the match was Raw and SD they can always say the winner has his choice. It's the Benoit Rule, he who wins a title shot can face whomever he likes.

The main problem I have with the JBL idea is that JBL has been booked to look like a tool over the past 6 months. Since Batista creamed him out of the main event scene, he really hasn't done anything of note until his US title win. In fact he jobbed to the Boogeyman.

Dangerous A grasps something that some on the net apparently don't. I keep hearing on sites like pwinsider.com that they should do a screwjob on RVD, but the thing is this: If you're starting a new promotion, how will it have any credibility if the top star just jobbed (even via screwjob) in his biggest match? Yes, I know the WWWF originally started with Buddy Rogers like that, with him jobbing the NWA title and the McMahons not recognizing it and keeping him as the WWWF champ. Thing is, he was quickly jobbed to Sammartino, who was the real top guy in waiting. RVD would have to be the top guy in this new ECW for a long while to come, so him looking like a fool really can't happen.

As far as the WCW or NWA title history....do you think Vince or Heyman give a shit? In my scenario the belt itself isn't thrown down a la Shane Douglas, but instead RVD spray paints "ECW" on it in a scene reminiscent of the NWO. No one really ever says this, but that Douglas thing was a really low trick.

I think what you'll see here is a situation where Heyman and the ECW side recognizes RVD as the ECW world champ, whereas Teddy Long won't recognize it and will still claim JBL as his world champ. And they can then do a rematch to clear things up at SummerSlam. There could be the further stips that if JBL wins, the ECW crew will disband and never been seen again. If RVD wins, ECW can gain control of SD.

This is all of course if JBL actually turns out to be the opponent. He's already issued a challenge to Rey, so we'll see.

Here is some news regarding ECW ONS II via The Torch...

The latest indications are that One Night Stand's headline match will be Rob Van Dam challenging JBL for the Smackdown World Title. That would require JBL beating Rey Mysterio for the title between now and the weeks leading up to the PPV. RVD would in this situation keep the Money in the Bank stip, drag out his decision on cashing it in at the ECW PPV until after the title change, and once JBL won the title and antagonized the ECW fans and brand, RVD would choose to face him at the PPV. JBL was the top heel in last year's ECW angle, so it would make sense in that respect to utilize him in the main event rather than introduce Edge (who has no previous ECW ties) or Triple H (who is clearly on the path to turning babyface, so being booed against RVD would make no sense) or John Cena (who isn't a good fit with RVD in the ring).

Thoughts?

That would be the one match they could give us that would make me not order ECW ONS II.

--Stories going around that RVD would face the Smackdown champ and not the Raw champ at One Night Stand are untrue, at least as of the end of business yesterday. The winner at Backlash faces RVD for the title.

Think that's the news we were all hoping for from Meltzer.

Is this really good news though? More than anything I just want RVD to WIN the match and get that elusive world title. Frankly I care way more about that than I do seeing ECW come back to take the place of Velocity. Sure, Van Dam going against JBL would have less pizzazz to it, but at least he'd be the obvious winner of that match.

At this point I would just have Edge win at Backlash. Will they? I dunno. I doubt it.

Regarding RVD's opponent at ONS, according to the Observer I got today......spoilers contain likely finish to tomorrow night's ppv title match.....

Apparently the desicion was made a few weeks ago to put Cena over at Backlash and then go with Cena-RVD at ONS, so supposedly media brass are getting prepped to promote that immediately starting after the ppv. But could still change much like how Mania's booking was worked upon even the day of the show. But the plan of action seems to see Cena going over tomorrow night to lead to Cena-RVD

RedJed, the problem I have with that idea is that I can't really see how you book the stuff leading to it. Sure, it's easy to say

Cena

will get booed like hell at the ECW PPV, but he's technically not a heel at this point and I'm not sure if he'd do some anti ECW bashing before the PPV. And let's face it, that's half the point of these shows. WWE guys run their mouths about ECW being inferior, then at the actual PPV ECW proves their worth.

RedJed, the problem I have with that idea is that I can't really see how you book the stuff leading to it. Sure, it's easy to say

Cena

will get booed like hell at the ECW PPV, but he's technically not a heel at this point and I'm not sure if he'd do some anti ECW bashing before the PPV. And let's face it, that's half the point of these shows. WWE guys run their mouths about ECW being inferior, then at the actual PPV ECW proves their worth.

The problem is, I mean in a way Cena is a good rep. of WWE, he is style not substance, his ring work sucks, he is bland, yet he has the title. On the other hand, it isn't like he is a WWE Mainstay. If he dissapeared tomorrow from wrestling, I don't think he would be remebered all that much in 5-10 Years, opposed to someone like HHH. I mean Cena would be hated for having no talent and his gimmick, but Triple H in an ECW ring would bring all the extra heat for being a political bastard and for well being "in the family"

I guess it comes down to the decision of Vince/Heyman as to who is the better guy to represent "All that Epitomizes WWE"

I'd love to see the way that not only the ECW crowd reacts to Cena, but also the way the regular WWE television crowds react to Cena in the weeks leading up to the match.

They boo him when he's going up against to heels (or at least one heel, and one guy who is supposed to be a heel), so imagine the reaction when he's going up against RVD.

I mean, people hate John Cena for just being John Cena, you add that onto a feud with RVD, and you're looking at some out of this world heel heat.

I'd love to see the way that not only the ECW crowd reacts to Cena, but also the way the regular WWE television crowds react to Cena in the weeks leading up to the match.

They boo him when he's going up against to heels (or at least one heel, and one guy who is supposed to be a heel), so imagine the reaction when he's going up against RVD.

I mean, people hate John Cena for just being John Cena, you add that onto a feud with RVD, and you're looking at some out of this world heel heat.

Exactly. Thanks for adding this because I forgot to mention it in my post. I just find it weird that WWE fans are going to be booing the so-called "WWE REPRESENTATIVE" that is going to be taking on RVD. I mean at least Triple H gets some of the crowd on his side as a "bad-ass heel" I am still trying to figure out how this will work out....I mean Turning Cena full-fledged Hell is probably the ONLY way for WWE not come away looking foolish.

Too bad Triple H wants to be a face now.

Bastard.

Actually HHH as a face is a good thing for Raw, yes he'll still get his title shots and reigns but as a face he'll realize his job is to put people over. So I'm actually good for HHH being a face now.

God this is going to be beautiful. Seeing a couple thousand ECW fans verbally destroying

Cena

is going to be something talked about for a long long time to come.