TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JimmyHendricks

What was the biggest crowd pop EVER?

I was on another board and there was a mini discussion within another thread about this. I thought it would make a good topic.

My opinion?: When Austin's music hit during the Rock/Mankind title match on RAW, where Foley won the belt for the first time. I have NEVER seen a response like that.

Honorable mentions:

WrestleMania X-8, when Hogan "hulked up" during his match with The Rock.

HHH's return from the quad tear at MSG in January 2002.

Hogan at the Molson Centre the night after X-8.

Flair's return on Nitro after the lawsuit.

Goldberg's title defeat of Hogan on Nitro.

Undertaker's return at Judgement Day 2000 during the Rock/HHH Iron Man match.

Heel Wise, the only one I can really remember being surprised by was The Rock's entrance on RAW the night after siding with Vince and winning the title at Survivor Series 1998.

Your thoughts?

Guest Fook

Austin's entrance during the HHH/Rock match at Backlash 2000 was a pretty huge pop.

For heels, HBK in Montreal this past summer. If the crowd could've killed him, they would have.

Rock in Toronto the night after No Way Out 2003 got a gigantic heel reaction.

Undertaker's return at Judgement Day 2000 during the Rock/HHH Iron Man match.

This one gets my vote.

The crowd went fucking nuts when Undertaker came out and destroyed everyone.

"HHH's return from the quad tear at MSG in January 2002."

I honestly remember thinking that the crowd pop wasn't anywhere as big as HHH was expecting during that one.

My first instinct was also Austins return in the Rock/Mankind title match....Can Hogan's Molson Centre appearance the night after 18 count? That was I think a different element. An underrated one would be Bulldog's SS92 IC title win.

As for heels, I'll second both Michaels in Montreal this summer, and the formation of the NWO.

Accounting for the size of the arena, Hogan slamming Andre was the biggest one I've ever seen.

The Hart Foundation's introduction before the 10-man tag at Canadian Stampede was pretty impressive also. You could actually see the ring shaking.

One that people tend to forget is the monster face pop Jericho got when his name appeared during his debut. That's a moment that's always given me chills. Most probably forget it because he turned the crowd on him in aproximately 30 seconds.

When Hogan first turned heel on WCW, it took a little bit of time for it to set in for the crowd, and then they LOST it.

There's nothing like foreign crowds for crazy heat, sometimes. Misawa/Kawada and especially Misawa/Kobashi championship matches always had nuclear heat. And I hear when el hijo del Santo turned heel, the crowd was near rioting, with much of the crowd in tears.

I love the pops that are so monstrous that it actually causes equipment malfunctions. Like at November 2 Remember '96, when Sabu appeared in the ring with Taz, and the crowd screamed so loud that it actually overloaded the microphones and everything sounded metallic and robotlike. Or any of the various 90's All Japan main event matches, where they'd pop so hard for the nearfalls that the hard camera would vibrate.

And I hear when el hijo del Santo turned heel, the crowd was near rioting, with much of the crowd in tears.

How in the name of God does El Hijo Del Santo turn heel? Did he take off the mask or something?

During the height of the Austin/McMahon feud: Austin had just lost the title the night before at a PPV to Kane and the Undertaker. Vince has the title belt displayed in the center of the ring and is bragging about his victory over Stone Cold. Suddenly the glass breaks and Austin drives down to the ring in a zamboni. He collides with the ring, jumps onto the hood, and dives off to attack Vince. The cops eventually had to drag him off and arrest him. I just remember the crowd pop for that being enormous.

If we're considering the size of the building and "heat per audience member," Kobashi's entrance in the match with Samoa Joe is worth mentioning. The floor was literally shaking... it was just unreal.

I but the Hart Foundation's entrance in Calgary number 1, with a close second being Hogan hulking up at WrestleMania 18, and Flair's return to WCW and reforming the Horsemen in 1998 as third.

Second Bulldog win over Bret at SS 92.

In good ol Indy days in Niagara Falls, TNA star, Eric Young did a DVD on Derek Wylde off the top of the ladder to the outside through the table on to the floor with no padding. Roughly around 450 people there, and the place went apeshit.

God I must upload that spot seeing me marking the fuck out after that.

the Rumble 90 face off between Hogan and Warrior...fans were going gonzo.

as mentioned earlier, Rock/Hogan just had crazy heat through the whole thing...what was awesome was the total change from cheering the Rock, to totally hating him and back to cheering him.

the fans totally shitting on Brock/Goldberg was pretty crazy...if not asinine.

Why should the crowd give a shit about a match where both guys are gone the next day?

Oh, I remember at MSG the fans were begging for Triple H to tap out and when Benoit won, the crowd just came unglued.

Austin's run-in during Rock/Mankind was probably the biggest surprise pop. The Hart Foundation was one everyone expected and it was big, but the crowd suddenly going nuclear when the glass shattered is one of my favourite moments in wrestling, ever.

HHH's return, Flair's return and Jericho's debut were pretty big too.

As for ones that weren't mentioned, Goldberg winning the title from Hogan was big. How about Eddie at NWO? I remember that being pretty big.

Bret at Canadian Stampede was awesome

but my favorite of all time is Jericho's debut on Raw, it's amazing how many times i've watched it and it still sends chill down my spine when his name appears on the Titantron

Why should the crowd give a shit about a match where both guys are gone the next day?

right, agreed, I was just commenting on it...I was saying that was the craziest "shitting on a match" moment I had ever seen.

Triple H's return- massive pop!

Goldberg beating Hogan for the World heavyweight title on Nitro- the crowd go nuts!

Undertaker's returns at WMXX and Judgement day 2000- both wild pops!