Sign in to follow this  
Thoth

South Park Season 10 starts tomorrow

Did Cartman just quote from Masters of the Universe

Slap Fight!

God, I love this show.

That was great!

"I am Jesus! Would you like me to poop on you, Mr. President?"

How can you not love that. Plus, it was funnier than Family Guy.

I'm not seeing the humor in these new episodes. I might not "get it", but I just haven't been all that entertained this season. I know being political is the cool thing to do with your shows now, but this is getting ridiculous. I wish Stone and Parker would go back to 'Fun with Weapons' and 'Return of the Lord of the Rings to the Two Towers' types of episodes.

Guest Olympic Slam

Nice to see Family Guy get grilled for what it is: formulaic and 80's reference/pop culture obsessed.

Nice to see Family Guy get grilled for what it is: formulaic and 80's reference/pop culture obsessed.

I wouldn't exactly say they got "grilled." Everyone who likes Family Guy knows that it's just a bunch of obscure references and jokes that have no point. That's what they love about it.

I think parodying Family Guy was pretty dull and pointless. It's a stupid show that hits some funny moments once in a while, its hardly meant to be great art. I'm assuming referenceing Simpsons, MotU, Ice Age and King of the Hill was an intentional irony.

The ending Al Qaeda cartoon was the only bit of the episode that got a proper laugh from me...the rest was ok.

NEW YORK - Banned by Comedy Central from showing an image of the Islamic prophet Muhammad, the creators of "South Park" skewered their own network for hypocrisy in the cartoon's most recent episode.

The comedy — in an episode aired during Holy Week for Christians — instead featured an image of Jesus Christ defecating on President Bush and the American flag.

In an elaborately constructed two-part episode of their Peabody Award-winning cartoon, "South Park" creators Matt Stone and Trey Parker intended to comment on the controversy created by a Danish newspaper's publishing of caricatures of Muhammad. Muslims consider any physical representation of their prophet to be blasphemous.

When the cartoons were reprinted in newspapers worldwide in January and February, it sparked a wave of protests primarily in Islamic countries.

Parker and Stone were angered when told by Comedy Central several weeks ago that they could not run an image of Muhammad, according to a person close to the show who didn't want to be identified because of the issue's sensitivity.

The network's decision was made over concerns for public safety, the person said.

Comedy Central said in a statement issued Thursday: "In light of recent world events, we feel we made the right decision." Its executives would not comment further.

As is often the case with Parker and Stone, they built "South Park" around the incident. In Wednesday's episode, the character Kyle is shown trying to persuade a Fox network executive to air an uncensored "Family Guy" even though it had an image of Muhammad.

"Either it's all OK, or none of it is," Kyle said. "Do the right thing."

The executive decides to strike a blow for free speech and agrees to show it. But at the point where Muhammad is to be seen, the screen is filled with the message: "Comedy Central has refused to broadcast an image of Muhammad on their network."

It is followed shortly by the images of Christ, Bush and the flag.

A frequent "South Park" critic, William Donohue of the anti-defamation group Catholic League, called on Parker and Stone to resign out of principle for being censored.

"The ultimate hypocrite is not Comedy Central — that's their decision not to show the image of Muhammad or not — it's Parker and Stone," he said. "Like little whores, they'll sit there and grab the bucks. They'll sit there and they'll whine and they'll take their shot at Jesus. That's their stock in trade."

Parker and Stone did not immediately respond to a request through a spokesman for comment.

It's the second run-in over religion in a few months for the satirists. Comedy Central pulled a March rerun of a "South Park" episode that mocked Scientologists. Isaac Hayes, a Scientologist who voiced the Chef character on the show, resigned in protest over the episode.

"South Park" again got the last word last month with an episode where Chef was seemingly killed and mourned as a jolly guy whose brains were scrambled by the "Super Adventure Club," which turns its members into pedophiles.

Only last week, "South Park" won broadcasting's prestigious Peabody. Awards director Horace Newcomb said at the time that by its offensiveness, the show "reminds us of the need for being tolerant."

I don't normally watch SP much, but I did happen to catch last night's episode by chance.

All I have to say is the "Family Guy joke lottery" scene with the manatees was spot on and hilarious.

I wouldn't exactly say they got "grilled." Everyone who likes Family Guy knows that it's just a bunch of obscure references and jokes that have no point. That's what they love about it.

Yeah, at least it doesn't get all up its own ass with messages.

I loved the first two minutes and the last two minutes, and when Cartman bitches out Bart, but as for the rest? Meh. I got really, really tired of hearing about how Family Guy's jokes were so random and interchangable, they drove that point into the ground, and it was obviously the only real criticism they could come up with about FG.

And... manatees?! That's like Crab People without the cool song. Really weak. Honestly that joke was just as interchangable as anything on FG, it could've been anything instead of manatees, as long as they were doing the same job.

I love both FG and SP, but man I'm getting tired of how Matt and Trey seem addicted to causing controversy and mocking everything because... well, just because. Guys, you're both multi-millionares, you have so much power in Hollywood that you can make a movie about puppets or show Jesus shitting on the American flag. What do you have to be pissed off about?

I don't think they're pissed off, they just offend to push the show even further by pissing of everybody that isn't a part of thier fanbase like God-fearing Christians. The ep has been all over over the news since it aired so I say mission accomplished for Trey and Matt.

I loved the first two minutes and the last two minutes, and when Cartman bitches out Bart, but as for the rest? Meh. I got really, really tired of hearing about how Family Guy's jokes were so random and interchangable, they drove that point into the ground, and it was obviously the only real criticism they could come up with about FG.

I also think a point they were trying to criticize was that people love to compare all of the prime-time cartoon shows to one another on SOME level, and most people place those two fairly close together, which Matt & Trey don't seem to like, probably due to the fact that they have the ability to be almost instanteously relevant to pop culture, something which pretty much every traditional cartoon can't really say for itself.

And... manatees?! That's like Crab People without the cool song. Really weak. Honestly that joke was just as interchangable as anything on FG, it could've been anything instead of manatees, as long as they were doing the same job.

I will play the "benefit of the doubt" card and say they were probably trying to figure out the most bizarre thing they could think of and get a few fun gags out of. I personally enjoyed the TV president screaming at the tank like a crazy person while they just floated idlely, which just reminded me of the infamous "million emotions of Eddy" promo with Chris Benoit.

I love both FG and SP, but man I'm getting tired of how Matt and Trey seem addicted to causing controversy and mocking everything because... well, just because. Guys, you're both multi-millionares, you have so much power in Hollywood that you can make a movie about puppets or show Jesus shitting on the American flag. What do you have to be pissed off about?

Again, I think they feel slighted trying to do their best to be creative, original, and current, and hate being compared to things they feel aren't on the same page as them, or even within the same boundaries (let's face it, Comedy Central can get away with alot more than Fox), so them going so far as to talk about pedophilia as they do, and tonight's episode with Jesus shitting on the flag...I think it was them saying "You won't ever see THIS on one of those other cartoons...so there!"

Childish or not, they have a point. They just go above and beyond the expected when trying to make their point.

God, words cannot describe how brilliant that episode was. It's just a shame that it got so played up as "OMG South Park is trashing teh Family Guy! WICH IZ BETTERZ~?" when that's not what it was about at all.

Again, I think they feel slighted trying to do their best to be creative, original, and current, and hate being compared to things they feel aren't on the same page as them, or even within the same boundaries (let's face it, Comedy Central can get away with alot more than Fox), so them going so far as to talk about pedophilia as they do, and tonight's episode with Jesus shitting on the flag...I think it was them saying "You won't ever see THIS on one of those other cartoons...so there!"

Childish or not, they have a point. They just go above and beyond the expected when trying to make their point.

I don't know how you could get that. It was them illustrating of the hypocrisy of Comedy Central allowing Jesus shitting on the president and the flag to be shown while Mohammed just standing there had to be censored out.

The manatees definitely weren't an interchangeable joke. They were making a point with it and it was relevant to what was happening in the plot. The joke wasn't that the FG writing staff was simply mantees, the joke is that they were manatees picking from idea balls and that's how jokes on FG got made.

As for your first comment... it was probably a little bit of both. Probably moreso in the direction you were going for, but it was fun they showed Mohammed in the opening crowd shot.

"You think THAT'S bad..."

...didn't they already show Mohammed in super best friends? I don't remember seeing any mass riots for that.

Shhhhhhh! Jeez dude, do you want that brought to their attention?

Guest FileCabinet

I think the opening for the syndicated shows also has Mohammed in it. I know for sure that the Super Best Friends fly by in the background at some point.

South Park Scriptorium has an interesting theory as to why the hell the Family Guy writers were portrayed as Manatees.

Basically Manatees=MnT. MnT as in Matt and Trent. Basically the Manatees are Matt and Trey, who can't be scared with terrorism and terrorist threats and who will stop doing the show if any "idea ball" is taken from their water tank and damn the consequences.....

Heh, just saw a preview for the episode this week with the return of...

Towelie. (On Oprah)

I wonder about the inevitable Cruise bashing that is likely to come.

Heh, just saw a preview for the episode this week with the return of...

Towelie. (On Oprah)

I wonder about the inevitable Cruise bashing that is likely to come.

Toweilie's back! Fuck yeah.

The second part was a huge step-up from part one. The satire here was the strongest it's been since God knows when. They even nailed some small points, like Bush having to defend the First Amendment to the rabid media, in addition to the big stuff.