TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest NYankees

Comments that which don't warrant a thread

I finally got to see "Diary of the Dead." If there's any really big problem,

it's the narrations. George, you are better at social commentary without a narrator. That just felt unnecassary, as did the slow motion shots. Also, I really didn't like the character of Debra. Also, Josh is an asshole, though it's obvious you aren't supposed to like him.

That out of the way, I still liked it. It's probably the weakest of the dead films, but There's still plenty to enjoy IMO, including:

-

Samuel! Deaf Amish guys never hurt. Also, his death is awesome.

-

"See, I told you Dead Things don't run!"

-

Drunk English Film Professors=comedy gold.

-

Defibrillator to the head!

-

Zombie clown!

-

Instead of burying the dead, one guy puts them in the pool.

-

Zombie death by jar of acid.

-

Cameos from Stephen King, Quentin Tarantino, Wes Craven, Guillermo del Toro, and Simon Pegg.

So yeah, I liked it, though I can see why some don't. It's a pretty devisive movie.

I loved the hell out of Doomsday, myself. I considered it the best movie of it's type I'd seen since Shoot Em Up.

I pretty much hated Shoot Em Up too. That films was beyond pointless.

Watching it right now on the N, I realize the original All That was just an awesome show, and really was great kids sketch comedy.

I still love Kel Mitchell. Too bad he sort of faded into obscurity, with the last thing I remember him doing being Dance 360 a few years ago.

I just got back from seeing Doomsday, it's pretty shit. It's a film based around homages, but doesnt do them very well. And the 1st and 2nd half of the film are like night and day in comparrison. It feels like 2 different movies. Just for the record, I quite like the 1st half, but the 2nd half sucked so much that I was bored by the end of it.

For those of you who haven't seen it/head of it - it's like Escape From New York meets Mad Max and Robin Hood.

Only shit.

EDIT: Oh, and I saw a trailer for Teeth and since I don't trust the views of IMDB's Team Retard Forums or newspapers and only really trust the views of TSM, is the movie any good? I thought it looked pretty sweet.

You're spot-on about Doomsday. Rhona Mitra was trying her best(and looking it, godDAMN), but she alone had no chance at saving a movie full of rip-offs disguised as "homages". Hoskins and McDowell- God love them- were just there, in roles that could have been done just as well by dozens of other actors. The great cast just made it all the more dissapointing.

Also, Teeth fucking sucked. Don't bother with it.

Thanks, I'll probably rent it. I just don't fancy wasting another 7 quid to view a film that sucks. I've done it twice in one week!

I loved the hell out of Doomsday, myself. I considered it the best movie of it's type I'd seen since Shoot Em Up.

I don't know how anyone can hate Shoot Em Up. That shit was hilarious.

Alright, Spike Lee probably has a point here, but I fucking hate this shit. I went to a movie premiere around here, it was this super low budget project that some dude had been working on for ten years. It had Dante from Clerks and Aly Sheedy and the Green Ranger in it and it was pretty funny, you could tell the guy who made it was thrilled that it was finished... and he went up to take questions about it and the first question was a black chick asking "WHY WEREN'T THERE ANY BLACK PEOPLE IN YOUR FILM!?" and the guy just looked deflated. Guess what, bitch, not every movie has to have a black person in it! Fucking retarded... this is different, since it's big budget and all, but it just reminded me...

Well, he cares enough about Morgan Freeman to give him prominent roles in two films that won Best Picture....oh and not to mention Freeman is set to play Nelson Mandela in a biopic about him directed by Eastwood.

I don't know how anyone can hate Shoot Em Up. That shit was hilarious.

It was just 7 action sequences tied together with a paper thin plot that was thrown in as an after thought. It was characterless (Clive is understanable, but Giamatti?!) and the dialouge was awful.

Don't get me wrong, some of the action was OK, but for the most part it was an awful music video film.

So anyway, last night I saw the new Harmony Korine picture, Mister Lonely.

Christ, what a fucking masterpiece. Now I know a lot of people hate Harmony Korine, and this is definitely recognizable as his work. Not gonna change any minds. But if you love him as I do, holy shit. Better than Gummo, I think, this was approaching Jodorowsky's Holy Mountain for sheer, manic insane brilliance.

The film follows a lonely Michael Jackson impersonator (Diego Luna) who is invited by a Marilyn Monroe impersonator(Samantha Morton) to a commune full of other impersonators—including the Queen of England, Madonna, Sammy Davis Jr. and James Dean—in the Scottish Highlands. In a parallel story line, Werner Herzog plays a Latin American priest who learns his missionary of nuns can literally fly.

[i definitely favored the impersonators of Abe Lincoln, the Pope and the Three Stooges, especially in conjunction]

I get the feeling I'm going to like this movie more than most.

There is some objectively beautiful cinematography.

I think, this was approaching Jodorowsky's Holy Mountain for sheer, manic insane brilliance.

I think this movie might be over my head. Explain to me why it's a brilliant masterpiece and not just a mess of over indulgent shit. I normally like that sort of thing (eg Godard's Week End is totally in my Fave Five) but something about The Holy Mountain just didn't sit right with me. Some of the character backstories were kinda inspired, but other than that it seemed like a whole lot of "Whoa look how RADICAL & TRANSGRESSIVE this is!" and not much else. Am I missing something??

Also, that Harmony Korine movie sounds pretty sweet.

I think it's over your head.

It didn't go over my head. I saw it for what it was.

i saw this a couple weekends ago, loved it. some of the family subplot stuff was admittedly half-baked and awful, but the slow-burn pacing was perfect and made those funny touches even funnier (the doctor examination, the nuclear power plant that sits right behind the house in every shot).

i saw this a couple weekends ago, loved it. some of the family subplot stuff was admittedly half-baked and awful, but the slow-burn pacing was perfect and made those funny touches even funnier (the doctor examination, the nuclear power plant that sits right behind the house in every shot).

I couldn't tell if the power plant thing was there for humorous purposes or not, which just made me dislike it more.

So ummm....

Rambo 1-3 on Blu-Ray in a set for $35, yet Rambo (4) is sold seperately for $22.95.....really? Come On.

On Standard Definition all four are in a set for $35.

Oh, and I'm not sure if the Blu-Ray versions are bare-bones or upgraded transfers of the Ultimate editions that are in the standard definitions contained in the box set.......

Anyone know?

So with Draft Mania going around on this board (NFL, NBA, Music, Wrestling, etc.)...

Who's gonna start the Movie Draft? Or TV Draft?

I'd do it but I wouldn't wanna preside over them. Just participate.

So with Draft Mania going around on this board (NFL, NBA, Music, Wrestling, etc.)...

Who's gonna start the Movie Draft? Or TV Draft?

I'd do it but I wouldn't wanna preside over them. Just participate.

What he said.

I just saw "The Signal", and liked it a lot. Really good horror movie.

I was demonstrating through example that luke-o doesn't understand sarcasm, back there.

As for Holy Mountain, you have to view it as a comedy. When I mention the "manic, insane brilliance", emphasis is on the manic insane, the brilliance is by virtue of such. Mister Lonely is definitely a headier movie than HM, I just compare them in terms of wacked out content (and humor, as ML is hilarious as all hell too, just in a more meaningful way).

My own interest in/adherence to absurdist and nihilistic expression lends these films a personal relevance as well, particularly the last scene of Holy Mountain, where the spiritual quest is revealed to be a big joke (and a meaningless one at that, due to the pull back), a metaphor for the film itself.

I think most of my problems with The Holy Mountain stem from the fact that the first half of the movie feels like a mediocre Buñuel rip-off that's trying way way too hard to be In Your Face. Once it settles down and gets into the meat of the "plot" it's actually pretty entertaining/interesting and I think I was kinda too hard on it when I called it a "mess of over-indulgent shit" on the last page.