TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest NYankees

Comments that which don't warrant a thread

It's just a repetitive series of scenes in which people get captured, mocked, tortured, maimed, and killed. It isn't remotely scary.

Just wanted to say that this whole post is a really good point and I've felt this way for years. I think it started with the TCM remake, which I hated.

-----

Over the past month, my best friend has ran into Weeman and the fat guy from Borat. Should I be jealous?

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Dead Alive is one of my favorite movies ever. That's the pinnacle of all gore.

anyway: maybe it was because my expectations weren't too high, but i really enjoyed 'burn after reading'. definitely one of the coens' funnier movies, everybody in it is obviously having a lot of fun, and the humor is all based in the characters and layered ironies of the plot. it's exaggerated, but in an understated kind of way (like clooney's character's obsession with running, or how malkovich's character will never let go of the drink in his hand, even when there's an intruder in his house). maybe the funniest i've ever seen brad pitt, and that's saying a lot.

my only problem with it was that it had a rushed "who gives a shit" ending that lacked a real denouement. i know that was intentional, but still...it's a weird sensation to have the dark comic intricacies start piling up and gaining momentum, and then just to stop everything abruptly.

I'm not sure which I liked more: Brad Pitt's eyes in the car scene or the face he makes as the closet doors open.

I gathered "well, this is it" pretty quickly into the final scene but I was enjoying how

JK Simmons was handling the absurdity of it all so I didn't mind. They didn't need to go any farther with the character arcs and I'm not sure if showing George Clooney hurriedly escaping to Venezuela would have been any funnier than the "What the fuck?" dialogue that announced it. The audience loved "No, he's in a coma" as well.

Absolutely a fun, okay movie. Weird use of Tilda Swinton though.

I saw Burn After Reading this afternoon, and I too really enjoyed it. Kinda snuck up on me, and I agree... I can't recall Brad Pitt being funnier than that.

There were trailers for W (a hell of a trailer, without commenting on the movie), and Milk, the Gus Van Sant/Sean Penn Harvey Milk biopic. I'm looking forward to that. Say what you will, I've always liked Van Sant, the cast is good, and partially due to my own ambiguous sexuality have always found Harvey Milk a fascinating man. It looked really good. I mean, plus the movie is just called Milk, how could I not see that.

Tina is rocking it as Palin, like we all knew she would

"I think it's on Ebay!"

So, having just watched Blood Feast, can anyone tell me why some horror fans cherish the "cult classics" of Herschell Gordon Lewis? Yeah, it's gory stuff in an era when they didn't do gore. But aside from that, it's nearly Ed Wood bad in terms of acting, writing, directing, and everything else.

I think it's more cherished as being the first "gore" film. On the special edition DVD boxset (with 2000 MANIACS and COLOUR ME BLOOD RED), there is a great documentary about this very subject. I don't think the movie is very good, but I love it for being original and trying something new.

That being said 2001 MANIACS is a great remake, and I'm watching THE WIZARD OF GORE right now and Crispin Glover , even after only like 10 minutes of the movie, is fucking brilliant!

That being said 2001 MANIACS is a great remake, and I'm watching THE WIZARD OF GORE right now and Crispin Glover , even after only like 10 minutes of the movie, is fucking brilliant!

I watched Wizard of Gore over the weekend, and it started strong, but by halfway through it just became a confusing and disattached mess of a movie.

How have I not heard about Blindness until seeing a commercial for it tonight? It looks good.

I was pleasantly surprised to see this coming out. I was supposed to read the book for class. I never ended up reading it, but the whole premise seemed pretty cool. The book won some awards despite being written without punctuation. If people plan on seeing it and want something else with it, there is a free ticket for it if you buy a brand new DVD or Blu-ray copy of Smart People. I picked up the Blu-ray since I had interest in both movies, although I haven't gotten around to watching SP yet.

MTV's TRL Axed

16 September 2008 5:03 AM, PDT

The MTV show which helped launch the careers of Britney Spears, *N Sync and Eminem is to end after ten years on air.

The music channel's popular Total Request Live (Trl) show has been axed, with the final show expected to be broadcast in November.

Launched in 1998, the show featured hot new music videos, and viewers were introduced to their favourite pop stars through exclusive interviews.

Former Trl host Carson Daly is expected to return for the two-hour special finale.

And stars who shot to fame on the show are sad to see it go - with rapper Eminem saying he'll miss causing trouble on the beloved series.

He says, "I'm going to miss Trl. Where else will I be able to start feuds, defend my honour vigorously and act like an angry teenager on national TV? Oh wait ... The VMAs!"

I always hated that show. Good riddance.

I always hated it too. But, thinking about it, was this the last show on MTV which actually showed music videos? Fragmented clips of videos with idiot kids talking over them, yeah. But I can't offhand think of any other regularly scheduled show on the network which specifically airs any music videos whatsoever.

Well, there's that show hosted by Pete Wentz on Friday nights and I think they still show videos once in a while at odd hours but yeah I think TRL was probably the last regular "music video driven" show on MTV.

The show really died a slow death once Carson Daly left six or seven years ago.

OK, this has been bugging me... Has anyone else noticed the odd occurances of the letters XG in the top-left corner of shows on FOX lately? I've been trying to search it up and I'm getting NOTHING for it.

OK, this has been bugging me... Has anyone else noticed the odd occurances of the letters XG in the top-left corner of shows on FOX lately? I've been trying to search it up and I'm getting NOTHING for it.

I havent seen anything on my HD feed for FOX with that.

I can't help but notice none of these threads are titled "SNL Review - September 13, 2008". Get with it, baron [sic].

I'll try to do it this week. I'm sorry I've been so lax lately, but real job always gets in the way of long winded SNL review that pays 0.

I don't see how that's a story given that everyone knew she was leaving the minute they announced she was doing a show with Greg Daniels.

I knew for a while that 07-08 was going to be her last year, but then because of the strike, she stayed on for a while. So this is old news.

That's my answer though. I don't really care, since this has been known for a long time.

I liked her, won't miss her, and glad she's finally moving on. One thing I hate about SNL is Lorne's refusal to fire anyone, so everyone just stays on forever because they can't find work outside SNL

Darrell knows that once he leaves SNL, that's it for him.

SNL knows that once Darrell leaves SNL, that's it for him.

The guy obviously doesn't care that he's in one skit per show and has no interaction with the cast, and SNL feels he's valueable to them if they need a quick impression.