TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
daileyxplanet

OAO Anime/Manga Thread

I would assume Cowboy Bebop meets most or all of the criteria for HoF.

yes...I think it boils down to crossover appeal...if it can captivate a large american audience or go unnoticed.

Guest wildpegasus

I imagine Lupin would have to go in a Hall of Fame as well. Gatchaman and some Miyazaki movies too. What about St. Seiya?

My personal HOF would have the Tiger Mask series in it. Man, I love that show. I think all wrestling fan would at least like it. I wish somebody would take some of the strong concepts for the show and make a new series. http://www4.airnet.ne.jp/pancra/tigre/

Maybe Bleach will get in some day if it keeps on going at the pace it's going.

Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

Well, I watched the first episode and I liked it; particulary towards the ending. I didn't find myself compelled to watch more however.

Detective Conan has run 440 episodes and 10 movies in Japan, and is still going.

The best thing about Vampire Hunter D is the cover artwork by Yoshitaka Amano.

Akira should definitely be there. it's still one of the best looking movies of all time. The story in the manga is better for sure, but that's often the case.

Appleseed the manga definitely belongs in a HoF, but I wouldn't put any other Shirow Manga. The films are debateable. I love the first GitS personally. That has more to do with Mamoru Oshii, though. I love his stuff in general.

The one thing I think really sets Bleach apart from most other fighting manga are the characters. They're by and large very memorable, and actually GROW during the course of the series.

I also find the character designs are tremendous, especially since it has probably the largest cast of characters I've ever seen in a manga. The animation for the show is really swell too.

~ Also you can't nominate like a whole series that split up. So each Gundam would hafta be nominated seperately. (debatable)

That I have to mention my thoughts on:

I'm thinking that any Gundam series that was associated with the original Gundam story (the universe Amuro Ray (IIRC) had the main Gundam in) would count into one series, while all SIDE Gundam series (G Gundam, Gundam Wing, Turn A Gundam (not sure on this one) would be seperate from that story.

But that's just my view on the subject.

<_< I was trying to get you to rewatch it atomsk. MoSH is my favorite anime, so of course I'll try subliminally try to get you to watch it again.

I imagine Lupin would have to go in a Hall of Fame as well. Gatchaman and some Miyazaki movies too. What about St. Seiya?

My personal HOF would have the Tiger Mask series in it. Man, I love that show. I think all wrestling fan would at least like it. I wish somebody would take some of the strong concepts for the show and make a new series. http://www4.airnet.ne.jp/pancra/tigre/

Maybe Bleach will get in some day if it keeps on going at the pace it's going.

Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

Well, I watched the first episode and I liked it; particulary towards the ending. I didn't find myself compelled to watch more however.

I think we'd probably need to split up anime movies and series because movies would get more nominations and get-ins based on the current basis.

Just like MoSH, I think we'll need to wait till long going series Bleach and Naruto are over for at least two years; to see if they get in. Because everyone would pimp them to be in. Its like Inuyasha. I originally started I would've nominated it in. Now? Hell no.

...speaking of Inuyasha, I think you'd almost hafta nominate the manga. Its still going at 50+ and still being bought up like crazy.

If you mean first for MoSH, as in the actual first, go to the second episode. If you liked the first, you'll love #2. #1 just gets you introduced to the characters and sets up things for the future (since that is after all, episode 10 or 11). The second episode is actual the true first one.

~ Also you can't nominate like a whole series that split up. So each Gundam would hafta be nominated seperately. (debatable)

That I have to mention my thoughts on:

I'm thinking that any Gundam series that was associated with the original Gundam story (the universe Amuro Ray (IIRC) had the main Gundam in) would count into one series, while all SIDE Gundam series (G Gundam, Gundam Wing, Turn A Gundam (not sure on this one) would be seperate from that story.

But that's just my view on the subject.

You see, this is where we'd run into problems. Because if you do that with the regular universe, you'd hafta do it with Dragon Ball and Sailor Moon, and that would create headaches.

Detective Conan has run 440 episodes and 10 movies in Japan, and is still going.

We got it over here ("Case Closed") but it was pulled. I liked the show, although the animation was really lousy. So I guess it would fail for crossover appeal, but the mangas are readily available here. Of course, maybe they never translated enough eps for them to show new ones.

The Berserk manga has been going on forever and the anime was really good, although has a slim chance of ever being shown on US TV. Plus Guts is directly or indirectly referenced in tons of games/anime.

dry.gif I was trying to get you to rewatch it atomsk. MoSH is my favorite anime, so of course I'll try subliminally try to get you to watch it again.

Whoops. But I've certainly run through it enough times anyway.

Yeah, Berzerk is absolutely brutal (in a good way) and has the potential to go longer than Inuyasha, since it's at something like 25 volumes, and the author has stated that the 'real story' started in something like #22.

Ah, its one of those types. No thanks, got my share via Gundam with Kira (and his Godness, ugh).

Oh yeah, SEED and SEED Destiny was some bullshit. One of the things I hated about Destiny was how everybody made Athrun look like a bitch. In SEED, it was understandable somewhat because he was confused and shit, but there's no excuse for how they treated him in Destiny with Kira(and freaking LACUS bossing him around when he was basically half-dead) and Shinn punking him out and the Chairman using him like a puppet. What an annoying series.

Oh, and Wannabe isn't the only one subbing it. A fansub know as Your Mom is also subbing it. ...no that's not a joke on the fansub groups name.

I know about Your Mom, it's just that I have tendency to stick with one particular fansub of a series if I can help it.

How is Digimon Savers? I've heard some people tell me to give it a chance because its not bad.

I like it a lot, but the subs are coming out so damn slow. The group I get my subs of it from have just now done episode 9 and Japan's on like 16 or 17 at the moment.

...and has anyone ever heard about an anime getting a remake only a year later? Because the Negima anime series is getting a "second season" however there's now speculation that it could be a total remake of Negima. I don't think I've ever heard of any anime that gets a remake a year later.

Well, you have to agree that Negima needs it. The anime royally butchered the manga to the point where I didn't even bother downloading the last two episodes because it annoyed me so much. I don't mind when an anime kinda strays off of the manga storyline for a bit just as long as it makes some sort of sense. With Negima, they just took the manga and buttfucked it to death.

Actually, for Negima itself, I could honeslty deal with it till just after the test. Up to that point, it wasn't that bad. Of course, they had changed directories at that point and then it went to hell.

But yeah, they really screwed it up badly. Can't believe that Ken went along with it.

...and if we're to do an Anime HoF, how would we go about criteria for letting in characters? And do we include hentai, or no?

Now that I've finished watching the Naruto anime up to the end of the Sasuke Retrieval arc, I'm turning my attention to Bleach, since I've heard so many good things about it. However, before I start watching the anime, I wanna read the Manga (because it won't take me as long to read all the pages as it would for me to watch all the episodes). My problem is, that I don't have a great deal of space of my HD, so I don't want to actually download the chapters. I'm looking for a site where I can read the chapters online in a gallery type thing. Anyone know a place and if so, mind posting or PMing a link to me?

Actually, for Negima itself, I could honeslty deal with it till just after the test. Up to that point, it wasn't that bad. Of course, they had changed directories at that point and then it went to hell.

But yeah, they really screwed it up badly. Can't believe that Ken went along with it.

...and if we're to do an Anime HoF, how would we go about criteria for letting in characters? And do we include hentai, or no?

There's no reason the main criteria for shows can't be the same for characters for the most part. Though I'd rather it all be kept in a speculative discussion stage anyway.

Guest wildpegasus

I just watched episode 91 of Bleach

Does anyone know why the Bount are so mad at Soul Society? Sure, there's the whole hard life they had to go through because of Soul Society but besides that something else is up. There was talk of Soul Society reaching their hands out to the Bount in some kind of help gesture but according to the lead bount that was a trap? There is also talk about how members of the Bount clan died and had to live in a cave. But there is no definite reason giving why. Even Ichigo after the big explanation is confused about some of the Bount's motivation is for wanting to destroy Soul Society. The dots to some degree are out there but they're not really connected yet.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

The battle is now on.

They better not job out the captain with the live eyepatch (can't think of his name right now) or I'm going to be ticked off.

I just watched episode 91 of Bleach

Does anyone know why the Bount are so mad at Soul Society? Sure, there's the whole hard life they had to go through because of Soul Society but besides that something else is up. There was talk of Soul Society reaching their hands out to the Bount in some kind of help gesture but according to the lead bount that was a trap? There is also talk about how members of the Bount clan died and had to live in a cave. But there is no definite reason giving why. Even Ichigo after the big explanation is confused about some of the Bount's motivation is for wanting to destroy Soul Society. The dots to some degree are out there but they're not really connected yet.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

The battle is now on.

They better not job out the captain with the live eyepatch (can't think of his name right now) or I'm going to be ticked off.

Things should be cleared up while in Soul Society. I assume they only wanted the Bount for research and imprisoned the rest in the caves so they could die out, but the remaining Bount either survived or didn't go with Soul Society in the first place. This explains why the Society had the archived data on the Bount in the first place.

You mean Zaraki Kenpachi. There's no question he'll fight Ichinose and will probably end up looking the best of anyone.

Zaraki!!! sorry had to... and so the wheel takes a new turn, i must admit i saw it coming but the possibilities of awesome fights are endless. I was a lil ticked on how Ichigo was handled on the last episode i was expecting more, and it was like *poof* and that it?

I grew up with the 80s stuff (Robotech espcially) but kinda went away from them. Started getting back into them a bit when the Robotech DVD sets were released, and I've picked up a few since then (Cowboy Bebop the Movie, finally saw Akira [wierd ass ending, but still good], the Macross OVA [great action sequences but the whole man vs. nature/animism debate sorta killed it for me]). Sci-Fi, surprisingly enough, wasn't really my favorite. For some reason, the romantic comedies appealed to me the most. I bought Saukra Diaries (cute work, nothing really strange except for the whole "cousins" thing and they never emphasize that so you tend to forget about it after a while) and recently dowloaded Love Hina (another "cute" one). Maybe I just like animes with loser heroes or something.

Question: do the OVAs of Love Hina really not settle anything? The last episode (based on the fansubbing) really didn't resolve the central issue between Naru and Keitaro, and I would like to see everything wrapped up.

I'm a few discs into "Last Exile" and I have to say it's pretty damn great. I'm more selective than most with my anime so its a bit of an achievement for me to dig it so much.

The animation is AMAZING. they meld CG-ish animation for the airship stuff with some rather fluid traditional animation. there's some truly great airship battles and races and the like. maybe i just don't watch enough anime, but this is really some of the most visually vibrant animation (anime or otherwise) that i've seen.

The setting really makes up for a lot, it's pretty unique. Dubbing is also good one of the rare times I can bear to watch the English track.

I still have I think 2 discs left to watch but I highly recommend it.

I grew up with the 80s stuff (Robotech espcially) but kinda went away from them. Started getting back into them a bit when the Robotech DVD sets were released, and I've picked up a few since then (Cowboy Bebop the Movie, finally saw Akira [wierd ass ending, but still good], the Macross OVA [great action sequences but the whole man vs. nature/animism debate sorta killed it for me]). Sci-Fi, surprisingly enough, wasn't really my favorite. For some reason, the romantic comedies appealed to me the most. I bought Saukra Diaries (cute work, nothing really strange except for the whole "cousins" thing and they never emphasize that so you tend to forget about it after a while) and recently dowloaded Love Hina (another "cute" one). Maybe I just like animes with loser heroes or something.

Question: do the OVAs of Love Hina really not settle anything? The last episode (based on the fansubbing) really didn't resolve the central issue between Naru and Keitaro, and I would like to see everything wrapped up.

If you want to see it wrapped up you need to read the manga. The only OAV worth picking up is the Christmas Movie. It actually advances the story a little bit and even includes what must've been a home video only extra episode that has the Kendo Girl(forgot her name) trying to be a normal girl, I believe, and does farther on the fan service than the rest of the show did. The Summer Movie absolutely refuses to move the plot along and it's like 40 minutes but full price because the idiots releasing it(Bandai, if I recall correctly) are bloody evil. Love Hina again is as best I can tell the conclusion, but it spends its entire running time

keeping Naru from expressing her love. That's the bloody end, she tells him she loves him too. The manga, I'm told, ends with them being married

Oh, and I may as well plug my blog here, lovecraft asked me for my opinion on the worst anime ever. If you want to discuss it here or there, I'm cool either way. I said Legend of Lemnear, by the way.

If you want to see it wrapped up you need to read the manga. The only OAV worth picking up is the Christmas Movie. It actually advances the story a little bit and even includes what must've been a home video only extra episode that has the Kendo Girl(forgot her name) trying to be a normal girl, I believe, and does farther on the fan service than the rest of the show did. The Summer Movie absolutely refuses to move the plot along and it's like 40 minutes but full price because the idiots releasing it(Bandai, if I recall correctly) are bloody evil. Love Hina again is as best I can tell the conclusion, but it spends its entire running time

keeping Naru from expressing her love. That's the bloody end, she tells him she loves him too. The manga, I'm told, ends with them being married

Oh, and I may as well plug my blog here, lovecraft asked me for my opinion on the worst anime ever. If you want to discuss it here or there, I'm cool either way. I said Legend of Lemnear, by the way.

Yeah I bought the set and watched the OVAs. Christmas movie was good, but the Summer movie was ass. Had absolutely no point except to set up Keitaro's willingness to go to work with Seta (which becomes important in the OVAs). The OVAs were OK, but it still ended on a very mediocre note. Unfortunately I never really acquired a taste for mangas so I'm just going to assume everyone lives happily ever after.

I guess I'm a big softy, but I bought 3 of the "romantic comedy" sets. Love Hina (I still liked it despite the ending), Sakura Diaries (good, and none of the strange things that I've heard occur in some of the Ujin animes) and Ai My Goddess (haven't seen it, but heard a lot of positive things about it). Romantic at heart. Maybe I'll go back and watch my Robotech sets or Cowboy Bepop the Movie to cleanse the palate.

Are there any opinions on the Ah My Goddess anime? I like what I've seen in the first two volumes of the manga so the DVDs have been tempting me.

The Christmas Special is definitely worth the pickup if you like the series. You really only need to know the bare minimum about the characters since the plot is pretty good. Regarding the Motoko (Kendo Girl) special episode included with the Christmas Special: If what I heard is correct, that episode was meant to be the first episode for the second season, but budget problems prevented that and it ended up being the last episode of the series before the OVAs.

Love Hina Again is based around the events between volumes 11 and 12 of the manga. The manga ends 2 volumes later in which the true ending

is Naru and Keitaro openly expressing their love for each other after Naru nearly breaks up with Keitaro after convincing herself that she's not his destined girl. Then Grandma Urashima more or less confirms that Naru was the destined girl all along. It goes on to the epilogue five or so years after the fact to reveal that the two are getting married and that all the girls except Kitsune (the short hair slacker) are attending or have graduated from Tokyo University due to Keitaro's influence. There's an extra character introduced who is basically the female equivalent of Keitaro at the beginning of the manga, but she's mainly a plot device for the epilogue.

I'm a few discs into "Last Exile" and I have to say it's pretty damn great. I'm more selective than most with my anime so its a bit of an achievement for me to dig it so much.

The animation is AMAZING. they meld CG-ish animation for the airship stuff with some rather fluid traditional animation. there's some truly great airship battles and races and the like. maybe i just don't watch enough anime, but this is really some of the most visually vibrant animation (anime or otherwise) that i've seen.

The setting really makes up for a lot, it's pretty unique. Dubbing is also good one of the rare times I can bear to watch the English track.

I still have I think 2 discs left to watch but I highly recommend it.

LastEXILE is fantastic, only thing that kinda falls flat is the ending. You'll see what I mean. Dio Eraclea is one of the greatest anime characters I know.

I've said it multiple times, but Maison Ikkoku is by far Rumiko Takahashi's best work in my opinion. The story has a great blend of comedy and romance, the lead characters are relatable, the supporting cast is solid, very few chapters feel like filler, and the conclusion wraps it all up in a very nice package. The anime is also a good view if you can manage to find the boxsets.

I haven't read enough Hana Yori Dango to give an opinion though.

I've said it multiple times, but Maison Ikkoku is by far Rumiko Takahashi's best work in my opinion. The story has a great blend of comedy and romance, the lead characters are relatable, the supporting cast is solid, very few chapters feel like filler, and the conclusion wraps it all up in a very nice package. The anime is also a good view if you can manage to find the boxsets.

I haven't read enough Hana Yori Dango to give an opinion though.

I'd agree with this. Whilst I think that Ranma 1/2 ultimately has the best CAST of any Takahashi series, it's too bogged down with dumb filler (ESPECIALLY from like after the Hinako arc onward, where it became REALLY hit or miss) and the characters almost never progress or gain any sort of depth. I still haven't finished Maison Ikkoku, but the plot there progresses at a rational pace and is fun to read through.

Plus, Yotsuya is awesome.

Maison Ikku is pretty darn good, but Urusei Yatsura is my favorite. Lum is sadly almost completely forgotten. Plus, if I recall correctly some of the UY team went on to do Project A-ko, you can definately see it in the character designs

I'd agree Maison Ikkoku is Takahashi's best work. It's perfectly paced, the characters grow wonderfully, and it's really a touching story.

I felt really cheated when Ranma 1/2 had no proper ending.

I will say Ryoga is probably my second favorite comedic character next to Osaka, though.

The best commentary on this phenomenon of way prolonging things without ever evolving is Mamoru Oshii's (director of GitS movies, Patlabor 1& 2) Urusei Yatsura: Beautiful Dreamer.

It seems like a typical UY episode, until the days start repeating themselves, all the non-essential characters start disappearing, buildings start to decay, all the while Ataru, Lum et al keep on having their hijinks, (initially) oblivious that their day keeps repeating.