TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Anakin Flair

The Dusty Rhodes Story

Just picked this up today, and am watching it now.

Lots of good stuff in it so far. Lots of old matches, old TV stuff (ROBOCOP?!), and a very good doc ont he first page.

And, they go indepth ont he polkadots. Can't forget the polkadots.

Two thigns against it-

1.- the Audio in a couple of early matches, expecially his match vs. Funk, was shit. The Funk match audio kept cutting out.

2. During the Doc, for his involvement with Ric Flair, they just used the stuff Ric said on HIS DVD. Nothing new to add.

You know, I don't remember the Ric Flair DVD set having a documentary.

It didn't. Since they crammed alot of long matches on there, they cut that stuff out. He just introed the matches and put over the storylines.

Guest droptoehold

you can press the front of the box and it rotates

threw a few dusty quoteables...worth owning just for that

Whats the match list for this?

AWA, 09/03/73 - Dusty Rhodes & Dick Murdoch vs. Dick the Bruiser & The Crusher

AWA, 24/03/73 - Dusty Rhodes & Dick Murdoch vs. Dick the Bruiser & The Crusher

AWA, 06/10/73 - Dusty Rhodes & Dick Murdoch vs. Billy Robinson & Don Muraco

Championship Wrestling from Florida, 5/1974 - Dusty Rhodes & Pak Song vs. Mike & Eddie Graham

Championship Wrestling from Florida, Dusty Rhodes vs. Terry Funk

Championship Wrestling from Florida, Lumberjack Match, Dusty Rhodes vs. Harley Race

Madison Square Garden, 26/09/77 - WWWF Heavyweight Championship Dusty Rhodes vs. Superstar Billy Graham

Madison Square Garden, 19/12/77 - Dusty Rhodes vs. Stan “The Man” Stasiak

Madison Square Garden 20/12/77 - Dusty Rhodes vs. Johnny Rodz

Madison Square Garden, 17/12/79 - NWA World’s Heavyweight Championship, Dusty Rhodes vs. Harley Race

Atlanta, GA, 21/06/81 - NWA World’s Heavyweight Championship Dusty Rhodes vs. Harley Race

Great American Bash, Charlotte, NC, 06/07/85 - World Television Championship Dusty Rhodes vs. Tully Blanchard

Great American Bash, Greensboro, NC, 26/07/86 - NWA World Heavyweight Championship Dusty Rhodes vs. Ric Flair, Commentary by: Steve Romero/Dusty Rhodes/Mike Graham

Starrcade, Chicago, IL, 26/11/87 - NWA United States Heavyweight Championship Dusty Rhodes vs. Lex Luger

Clash of the Champions, Greensboro, NC, 27/03/88 - Dusty Rhodes & Road Warriors vs. Ivan Koloff & Powers of Pain

NWA Main Event, 03/04/88 - NWA United States Championship Dusty Rhodes vs. Ivan Koloff

Clash of the Champions II, Miami, FL, 08/06/88 - NWA Tag Team Championship Dusty Rhodes & Sting vs. Arn Anderson & Tully Blanchard

Starrcade, Norfolk, VA 26/12/88 - NWA World Tag Team Championship Dusty Rhodes & Sting vs. Road Warrior

SummerSlam, E. Rutherford, NJ, 28/08/89 - Dusty Rhodes vs. The Honky Tonk Man

Survivor Series, Rosemont, IL, 23/11/89 - The Dream Team vs. The Enforcers

WrestleMania VI, Toronto, Canada, 01/04/90 - Mixed Tag Team match - Dusty Rhodes & Sapphire vs. The Macho King Randy Savage & Queen Sherri

Madison Square Garden, 24/11/90 - Dusty Rhodes & Dustin vs. Ted DiBiase & Virgil

Living Dangerously, Danbury, CT, 12/03/00 - Dusty Rhodes vs. Steve Corino

Greed, Jacksonville, FL, 18/03/01 - Kiss My Ass match Dusty Rhodes & Dustin vs. Ric Flair & Jeff Jarrett

Whats the match list for this?

Greed, Jacksonville, FL, 18/03/01 - Kiss My Ass match Dusty Rhodes & Dustin vs. Ric Flair & Jeff Jarrett[/i]

There's no reason at all why this match should be included in the set.

I don't care if that was Dusty's last match - at the moment.

EDIT - Wait, he's probably wrestled in TNA and I just don't know about it.

He wrestled in TNA several times, and on various indys as well.

It was his last major televised match though.

But if anyone really wants to dig for something to watch...he wrestled AJ Styles for the NWA title in a 15 minute match on the old Wednesday ppvs that is a must see.

Must see because putting Rhodes in a position to wrestle a 15 minute match (with someone half his size...for a World title no less) is one of the dumbest trainwrecks I've ever seen.

He wrestled in TNA several times, and on various indys as well.

It was his last major televised match though.

But if anyone really wants to dig for something to watch...he wrestled AJ Styles for the NWA title in a 15 minute match on the old Wednesday ppvs that is a must see.

Must see because putting Rhodes in a position to wrestle a 15 minute match (with someone half his size...for a World title no less) is one of the dumbest trainwrecks I've ever seen.

Not compared to his Ladder match against Brian Christopher.

Guest Arnold_OldSchool

On the floor camera shot where Robinson is outside the ring checking on the injured Muraco, you can CLEARLY see three guys sitting next to the ring in street clothes who were in Verne's training camp at that point in time. Ric Flair, Jim Brunzell, and Bob Remus are all sitting right there.

At the end of the third fall, when Robinson gets laid out, the three trainees are the ones who come to check on Robinson. In this shot, Ken Patera is also visible.

Flair looks to be MUCH larger here. His hair is dark, and he's got a swank handlebar mustache too!

My buddy Blake bought this Tuesday after talking about it for weeks. I had little interest in it, but I must say, I want my own copy now. I have only watched the feature and some matches from the first disc, but this thing is turning me into a Dusty Rhodes fan. I love it. I'm going to watch some more now, while Blake's DVD is still here. :)

Seeing Flair and Slaughter in that tag match is almost worth the price of the whole thing. There is no mistaking that chin and Flair looks NOTHING like what he would become. He is HUGE. Fucking awesome.

Guest Overworked

Interesting production note.

I am watching the Dusty Rhodes matches on Disc 3 with the WWF matches.....and you do not Hear Jesse Ventura's commentary with Gorilla Monsoon...you only Hear Gorilla monsoon...

That is very strange

No it's not, Jesse sued WWE about a decade or so ago for video royalties, so these days they edit him out of anything they didn't already release.

I saw the DVD at Best Buy today and it didn't have the talking packaging, just a standard black case. Maybe Koch Canada screwed up on it.

Yeah! I was gonna say that..

Two thigns against it-

1.- the Audio in a couple of early matches, expecially his match vs. Funk, was shit. The Funk match audio kept cutting out.

2. During the Doc, for his involvement with Ric Flair, they just used the stuff Ric said on HIS DVD. Nothing new to add.

1. I think that messed up audio in the Funk match, as well as it and other Florida matches being clipped, is more a knock on the Florida library than the WWE production. The Florida library may very well be the worst of any territory's library because of that, but it's pretty essential that it'd be on the DVD due to Rhodes making it big there.

2. This is nothing new. On the 80s DVD that was released last year, there was a lot of repetition in the sections from older releases for guys like Flair, Rhodes, Hogan, Snuka, Heenan, Arn Anderson, amongst others.

Jesse sued WWE about a decade or so ago for video royalties, so these days they edit him out of anything they didn't already release.

Did he win that lawsuit?

Jesse sued WWE about a decade or so ago for video royalties, so these days they edit him out of anything they didn't already release.

Did he win that lawsuit?

yes in 1994

I like Dusty, but not so much to get his DVD. I have to say though, for a fat guy that could go toe to toe with Flair for an hour any night of the week, that's pretty God damn impressive. The thing with Dusty is that the man was a talker, he could get you into his promos because he was so entertaining.

WWE1134_L.JPG

The cover

zkk2_dustystory.jpg

I like the original cover better myself though.

zkk2_dustystory.jpg

This pic makes me think of Dusty's WWF 90's Americana run I can see him saying something like "Dusty Rhodes the Americana rastler of the south if you will....You can beat our wrestling but you can't beat our sports entertainment".

The lack of Ventura is really annoying and in the past, has killed the atmosphere of the overall matches that have been presented on these DVDs.

The talking packaging is sort of embarrassing, too. I was in Wal-Mart last week and pressed it, expecting a short sound bite. Instead, I got this intesified Dusty Rhodes, spewing a heated promo for everyone in the entertainment department to hear. I just slowly backed away.

The lack of Ventura is really annoying and in the past, has killed the atmosphere of the overall matches that have been presented on these DVDs.

The talking packaging is sort of embarrassing, too. I was in Wal-Mart last week and pressed it, expecting a short sound bite. Instead, I got this intesified Dusty Rhodes, spewing a heated promo for everyone in the entertainment department to hear. I just slowly backed away.

lol same thing happened to me at walmart this week

I didnt get this dvd since I didnt have enough cash, so I settled for Judgment Day 06(it was only 15 bucks and the dusty one was 18, I only had 16 bucks left after buying a new pair of shorts )

LOL!! I think reading that made me laugh more than anything in the last few days.

Good one. :lol: