TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Special K

Bands better live

Someone in this folder recently said that Smashing Pumpkins was a studio act. That's a shame, since I like SP. What acts are better live?

I shall start:

Throwing Muses and 50' Wave. Hersh really let's her voice go, and her guitar-work is better in person. Loud and nasty.

Franz Ferdinand: Much looser and sexier in concert. i thought they were a typical studio band, and am lukewarm on their studio stuff. I've seen them twice, though, and they had a little bit of ferocity and noise I didn't think was their style. They're fantastic live.

The Shins: They're note-perfect, so they're pretty much as good as their albums (which I like a whole lot) but I was surprised to find that the front-man is very funny and gets the crowd into it like crazy.

Queens: Well once Josh Holme was so fucking drunk he was ridiculous. The other three times I've seen them he was incredible on guitar. And engaged with fun riffs with his other guitarist. *Incredible guitar riff*

"I'm Steve Vai!" (other guitarist) "No *I'm* Steve Vai" (cue cock rock dueling and solo)

Yours?

Puffy Ami Yumi sounds more punk-ish when they play live, I hope they put out a live album sometime. There's just more energy in the band, it seems.

When I saw the Shins a few years back, it was the keyboardist who did all the talking and wisecracking, not the singer. And I liked them well enough live, but they pretty much played their stuff as it was on record; it was like putting their discography on shuffle and turning the volume up really loud.

The most surreal act I've ever seen live was ZZ Top. It was SO note-perfect, I could have been on the radio. And these old guys would shuffle up, shake their knees twice and that was it. It really sucked It was like I was listening to classic rock radio and having a growly voice telling me:

"Yeaaaaahhh You all get down there. I want to tell you something.

I like to fuck *eeeeyeaahhhh*

"Y'all like to fuck? I been on Jersey Highway" blah blah blah This is a little number I like to call.....

"Legs" Crowd: eeeeeyeahhhh!

Guest J0bber

Without a doubt, Dope. In the studio, Edsel Dope sounds like a lame version of Marilyn Manson. On stage, he can get the job done riling up a crowd to be a bunch of "felons and revolutionaries". Dope played their harder stuff, not the poorly attempted ballads that make up most of their albums. It was quite humorous seeing Edsel lead a couple hundred people chanting "fuck the police" with several cops in the building. They also have a rather unique setup to their stage with several WWE like steel cages with Dope logos on them around the stage. Edsel's on stage rants were funny as hell too like, "I have to wake up and go all the way to Cleveland tomorrow. What the hell is in Cleveland besides Drew Carrey? You know what fuck Cleveland!" Hilarious and entertaining show overall.

SIDE NOTE: The pits were pretty violent for a Dope show. Luckily, I was only thrown into it a couple times. Some fat, ugly Goth girl behind me sprained her leg and started crying.

Seeing Mansun live was kinda strange, as live they cast off their more restrained side and became this really fun punky mess. Songs like "Closed For Business" became really beefed up and the band were clearly having fun, throwing in b-sides like "K.I.S.S.I.N.G." at random. Great stuff

Children of Bodom. I'm not a fan, but like I said in that "best concerts" thread a little while back, seeing them live at Lupo's Heartbreak Hotel in Providence was one of my favorite concerts ever. Alexi has a lot of stage presence (when he's not COMPLETELY drunk, as I believe was the case at the Unholy Alliance Tour), and the guitar solo's he does while singing are pretty damn impressive.

Mastodon sounds PERFECT live. The only minor changes will be that they'll play a song a little bit shorter or longer than it is on an album, but that's nothing major.

I'd have to say the band that was great live that I never would have expected to be was Sevendust. I don't care at all for anything released by them after their s/t debut, but seeing them live a few years ago nearly made me a fan. So much energy in the whole band that it just translated so well to the stage.

Guest AndrewisyourHero

Dillinger Escape Plan. Albums are fantastic, but holy fuck are they good live. Just an insane amount of energy, and a frantic stage show.

I'd probably have to put Polyphonic Spree at the top of my list. The first album (as it's not well produced etc) is so flat and dull, compared to their live show songs which was probably one of the best gigs I've ever been too. I can't help but admire their energy.

Brian Jonestown Massacre was probably mor enjoyable to see live rather than listen to on cd. I could watch them all night, but sometimes I just get bored by the albums.

I'm not a fan, but I always thought Franz Ferdinand sounded much more lightweight live, I still haven't seen/heard a live version of 'Do You Want To?' that was any good. I think their sound depends on the studio a lot.

Guest Bammey

I liked Primus a lot more when I heard the Family Values CD. Claypool is quite the character.

Can't believe I didn't mention Talking Heads.

Now obviously I haven't seen them live, but the live Stop Making Sense is by far them at their best, IMHO.

I think every track is superior to its studio version.

Inc, you're right, it was the keyboardist hamming it up. He was really funny though.

When I saw FF (twice) they had just released their first album, and I maintain they were much better live.

Just as a point: these are the bands I saw at one concert. Deck The Hall Ball 2004 was great:

Snow Patrol: quite good

Keane: Literally walked out. Couldn't take it. Terrible.

Shins: Funny, and as Inc said, pretty much just note-perfect. Not necessarily a bad thing. They busted out the good songs.

The Killers: Well I don't really like their songs to begin with, and they didn't do anjything special.

Franz Ferdinand: Kicked ass.

Modest Mouse. Took 5 minutes in between songs to switch equipment, and were, honestly, pretty bad.

Thats to bad about your Modest Mouse experience...Ive seen them several times and a few of the shows were among the best Ive ever seen (Radio City Music Hall Nov04, Madison June05, Bonnaroo05) and the others were at least 'very good'. They went thru the songs briskly as well...thats really weird about their equipment.

And, about Primus live...incredible, especially in a muddy field in the middle of the night. :headbang:

Andrew WK...I had no idea live shows could be that fun. On CD it's just dumb party rock, but live it's the most fun I've ever had at a show

Yellowcard...a band I really don't like, but live they were very fun and got the crowd into it.

The opposite.

New Found Glory sucks badly live...didn't help that when I saw them they played all new songs that no one knew, and they kept waiting for fans to sing along

Panic! at the Disco...ok, they're fun live, but you can tell that the singer's voice benifits from studio magic.

Barenaked Ladies...if youve seen them live, you know

Agreed. The ability to improv on the spot is awesome too see.

I think Special K got a little pissy when SP was a studio act.

Pissed to hear it. I really like their albums, never saw them.

My friend saw Modest Mouse at Sasquatch and said they were great, they were obviously having an off night when I saw them. The equipment issues probably weren't helping the lead singer(who's supposed to have a really bad temper)'s effort.

Also, Jack White should get a touring band. When half your best songs cannot be duplicated (or even approximated) by a two-piece live, you're going to really hurt your concerts.

And he can be (purposely) really weird on the mic. Ever see the SNL "dead leaves and the dirty groun?" What a goof.

Soulfly. I saw them live twice before I ever decided to pick up and album. Their live show is super-fun as they always bring out the tribal drums and do some jamming and other fun shit along with their normal songs. It came off awesome live, but the albums themselves were very underwhelming.

My friend saw Modest Mouse at Sasquatch and said they were great, they were obviously having an off night when I saw them. The equipment issues probably weren't helping the lead singer(who's supposed to have a really bad temper)'s effort.

I was at that Sasquatch set as well...pretty good (and the Gorge is an incredible place), though not quite as good as the other three I mentioned. If you get another chance to see them, you should.

Well, they're playing Endfest this year, but know way I'm driving that far and sitting in the heat for Red Hot Chili Peppers, Modest Mouse, and Snow Patrol.

I don't hate any of those bands, but meh.

I'm much happier to be seeing Sonic Youth this Friday. If you read about someone coming up on stage and trying to leg-hump Lee, Kim and Thurston (and probably in that order), well you'll know my full name.

On another note, I saw Sleater Kinney live a couple months ago, and they were amazing. Amazing venue too. You could easily get very close to the stage. Quasi played as well, so that means Janet Weiss drummed for over 3 hours, I think.

Now they've apparently broken up. It's a damn shame, as they were just getting better and better, but now I'm really glad I got the chance to see them.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I'll second The Dillinger Escape Plan. I have a piece of ceiling tile from a venue that was smashed over my face when I saw them in Louisville.

Lividity is the most fun I've ever had at a live show. They were just disgustingly violent and ridiculous for the sake of it.

AND IT'S ONLY GETTIN' HOTTER!