TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
spman

Superman Returns

Saw this tonght, and it was leagues better then last months god awful X-Men 3. This was everything that piece of garbage wasn't, it told a good story, had great emotion, and gave plenty of time to develop it all. It wasn't quite up to last years Batman Begins in my opinion at least, but it was definitely the best film I've sene so far. Definitely give this one a look when it comes out on Wednesday.

I've heard mostly positive reviews, although I fear the running time is going to scare off a lot of people.

he running time was one of those situations where, while yes, there was probobly at least a good half an hour of stuff they could have cut out, and the movie still would have been great, it's still not one of those movies that drags for 2 and a half hours either. It goes by really quick, and you don't even realize it's been that long.

Man I wish I could see this thing in IMAX-3D. I don't know if it's Canada or something, but the IMAX in my city isn't showing it or has it listed as upcoming.

Not to derail the thread, but is the Spiderman 3 Teaser attached to this? I thought I read somewhere that it was...

Not to derail the thread, but is the Spiderman 3 Teaser attached to this? I thought I read somewhere that it was...

Trailer programming decisions are made by the theater companies. The Spider-Man 3 trailer is in the can of every print of Superman Returns, but whether or not it'll be on there or not isn't 100%, but in all likelyhood it'll probobly be on every print of the film. I can vouch that the company that owns the theater I manage deemed that the trailer should be placed on every print of the film.

I get to see films early because I manage a theater here to make some extra cash while I go to school. I've been doing this since I've been in High School, and have been manager for only the past 2 years now. We weren't even expecting to get the film in yesterday, but we lucked out and got a Sunday delivery, but I digress.

Ebert hated it.

Ebert also said X3 was the best film in that series

I love Roger, but he seems to have it out for Bryan Singer, he hated Usual Suspects and Apt Pupil, gave thumbs down to X-men and gave faint praise to X2.

Guest Smues

While I never really think of him as hating movies he gives **, he did put a bunch of ** star movies in his "I hated, hated, hated, hated, hated this movie" book.

I don't think the 2 star thing was his idea. I remember reading something about him not thinking the ** movies should've been in there.

I can see the movie tomorrow in digital projection at 3. Is the quality going to be that much better than film? I always had the idea that it would only be better in digital if it was shot in digital, ie Star Wars 1-3.

Are all the Imax releases 3-D? That has to be trying after 2.5 hours. I think I remember captain EO being headache inducing, and that was what? 45 minutes? half an hour?

Just plain Imax is good enough for me. I saw Goblet of Fire in Imax and it was great. Though my leg cramped 10 minutes before the movie ended, and I had to grit my teeth. 3+ hours in a seat basically designed for a kid when you're 6'4 is not fun.

Just got back from seeing it about half an hour ago. Long yes... but REALLY good. I don't want to start saying it's better than some of the beloved superhero movies like Batman Begins or X2 yet, because I'll need to rewatch it, but it's about a hundred times better than X3, as if there was much doubt.

Loved the beginning with Luthor inheriting the old lady's property, as did everyone else in the theater.

Yeah, there was some stupid and cheesy stuff, like Luthor's henchman playing piano with the kid, but most of it got laughs from the theater.

Question: I've never followed the comic storylines at all, only knowing the basic characters and older movies. Did Superman ever have a kid with Lois in the comics?

Everyone clapped at the end. Go see it.

EDIT: I got there a little late, so I only got to see two trailers. Just as I walked in, the Spider-man 3 teaser started, and it immediately got an ovation. I can't wait. The other was just Lady in the Water.

I'm hoping to see it later this week. I'm trying to keep my expectations low, just so I won't be dissapointed. The trailer before X-men 3 blew me the fuck away, though and has me all kinds of hyped.

Oh, and for those who have seen it. is it ever made clear whether it takes place afte Superman 1 or 2?

No and I think this is going to confuse audiences not clear on the character itself or whether this is a reboot for the franchise.

I was expecting something with depth; a movie with characters I could care about and a story that gripped me from reel-to-reel. It didn't happen. Credit can be given for side-stepping a popcorn movie formula, but what's there isn't much better. I'm not sure where to begin, but let's see what we can do here:

- The plot: Perhaps my primary complaint. The Lex Luther storyline becomes secondary to the romance angle, which has never appealed to me. Now we've thrown in a dopey guy to create some tension. The bulk of the scenes that tied in with this storyline seemed to drone on and on.

Granted, Lex's plot wasn't much better, but Spacey is easily the most engaging character in this thing. It would've been nice if he'd not come off as a second-string player. In that respect, the trailers were misleading, since you almost forget he's in the damn thing at times.

- The characters: I was expecting the magic Batman Begins had to come through here. There was a mix of action in Begins, but that was a backdrop element to the movie's characters. With the exception of Katie Holmes, I got into all of the key characters. In Superman Returns, not much is given for me to hold onto. This line from Ebert's review sums it up:

It's strange how little dialogue the title character has in the movie.

Supes has never been the most eloquent speaker, but he's almost a mime during chunks of the film. I'd say most of the characters don't have enough dialogue with substance, too. Lois Lane just comes off as a scorned bitch half the flick. Spacey's a fun, witty character that does Gene Hackman's take on Luthor justice. But he's such a bit player in this grandiose picture that I was left wondering if a marquee name was really necessary for the role.

- The running time: If the story is done well, the length of a film doesn't bother me. I can sit all day and watch a film if it's engrossing enough. Returns isn't. There's entirely too much fat that could've been trimmed. It was almost like watching a Peter Jackson movie, except there were things that could've been condensed without question. Because of the two main plots, the plethora of action sequences and bulky finished product, the movie feels directionless at times.

- The CGI: I usually don't pick at special effects, but some of them in Returns just stick out like a sore thumb. Granted, it's going to be tough to create constantly realistic effects in a film where the lead role has super strength, but still.

Not being a huge Superman fan to begin with probably doesn't help, but this still ranks as a big disappointment for me. I was expecting a compelling story with interesting characters. Superman Returns doesn't deliver either. I really wanted to like it and hope that a subsequent viewing will leave a different impression, but for now, it's nowhere near Batman Begins.

Ebert hated it.

Ebert also said X3 was the best film in that series

I love Roger, but he seems to have it out for Bryan Singer, he hated Usual Suspects and Apt Pupil, gave thumbs down to X-men and gave faint praise to X2.

Not to start something, but Usual Suspects has only gained its cult status because of the end. Take away that and you're left with a fairly entertaining, but unspectacular flick.

I never thought about that before but that's a really good point about The Usual Suspects. It comes together really well at the end but it isn't (to me) a movie that is engrossing at all times. I've seen it once and when I've tried to watch it again I've just gotten bored.