TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest TysonTomko420

Comments which don't warrant a thread

I don't *think* that D.C. would hate Ron "the truth" Killings a lot less than Cena, given that they've portrayed the same kind of character.

I guess to me, Cena has just gotten really boring. He wears the same getup every week (I hate that stupid camo hat he's had for the last six months), wrestles the same match, cuts basically the same promos (his one on Monday was good, I'll give him that). Austin and Rock would throw in some variety every now and then.

Also, the way he was pushed into the main event, it wasn't a natural transition like Austin or Rock. He was clearly being force fed to the fans, and it took quite a while to adjust to Cena being a main eventer. His character did change as well during that period, with the loss of his freestyle raps, as noted.

Also, the way he was pushed into the main event, it wasn't a natural transition like Austin or Rock. He was clearly being force fed to the fans, and it took quite a while to adjust to Cena being a main eventer. His character did change as well during that period, with the loss of his freestyle raps, as noted.

I have to say this is very, very wrong. Cena was never force fed to the fans. He got put in the main event because he was really damn over. He got a gimmick that clicked and that got him incredibly over. People on this board were saying that he should have been a main eventer around WM20 instead of dicking around with the Big Show.

Personally, I think Cena could reach those levels of overness that Austin, Hogan, and Rock were at; he has all the tools to do so. It's just that the way WWE has pushed him has hurt his ability to do that by causing some of the fanbase to resent him.

and in case no one noticed, Cena really got most of the fans back during his feud with Edge...the problem is putting him against a guy like HBK or even Triple H.

and in case no one noticed, Cena really got most of the fans back during his feud with Edge...the problem is putting him against a guy like HBK or even Triple H.

Because neither of those two will ever really put him over.

the "smart" cities hate him: Philly, DC, New York, Chicago, Toronto.

Anywhere else, he gets mostly cheers.

The only reason why Toronto hated him really was because of his feud with their hometown hero Edge.

He got a very large pop when I attended Summerslam 2004 from the Toronto crowd.

well I would say Triple H did so last year, no?

Yeah seriously...

Taping out cleanly, in the main event of Wrestlemania, how is that not putting someone over?

The only reason why Toronto hated him really was because of his feud with their hometown hero Edge.

true...but remember, 2004 Cena had a different sort of overness compared to 2007 Cena. Didn't they get after him pretty hard on a Raw or something where Edge wasn't involved?

true...but remember, 2004 Cena had a different sort of overness compared to 2007 Cena. Didn't they get after him pretty hard on a Raw or something where Edge wasn't involved?

In 2004, Edge was on RAW and Cena was still on SD! so no.

Actually the fans in Toronto, actually BOOED Edge at Summerslam... Boy times have changed.

I guess to me, Cena has just gotten really boring. He wears the same getup every week (I hate that stupid camo hat he's had for the last six months), wrestles the same match, cuts basically the same promos (his one on Monday was good, I'll give him that). Austin and Rock would throw in some variety every now and then.

EXACTLY! And his title reigns have been to long

Philadelphia **LOVES** John Cena.

Philadelphia, for WWE, is no longer a smarky audience. They're not 1996 ECW. They're 2007 WWE. Philly loves Cena and DX. About 80/20.

Philadelphia still has a nice bitter smart mark audience - ROH, Chikara, CZW, PWU, you name it. But the types that make up most of Philly's WWE audience are teens who like DX, kids who like Cena, teens who like Cena, and girls who like both.

I have to say this is very, very wrong. Cena was never force fed to the fans. He got put in the main event because he was really damn over. He got a gimmick that clicked and that got him incredibly over. People on this board were saying that he should have been a main eventer around WM20 instead of dicking around with the Big Show.

Personally, I think Cena could reach those levels of overness that Austin, Hogan, and Rock were at; he has all the tools to do so. It's just that the way WWE has pushed him has hurt his ability to do that by causing some of the fanbase to resent him.

I agree he has the tools, he's been so badly neutered by the booking staff. What got him over was his hip hop edginess. If they let him go back to that persona, instead of the goofy stomp-around-salute/overcome the odds nerd, I could see him elevating into that next level.

Source: The Wrestling Observer Newsletter

No Way Out did a disappointing buyrate, with a first company estimate of just under 200,000 buys. WWE were expecting an above-average buyrate on the back of the 'dream team' main event of John Cena & Shawn Michaels vs. Batista & The Undertaker. The card also had Bobby Lashley vs. Ken Kennedy, so the main stars from all three brands were represented in keeping with the recent decision to feature Raw, Smackdown and ECW on all 16 PPVs.

That decision had arisen from Vince McMahon's recent concern over the success or lack thereof from the single-brand PPVs, which he began to express after Cyber Sunday and increased tenfold after December to Dismember. The 'big nine' stars, listed as Cena, Michaels, Batista, Undertaker, Triple H, Edge, Rey Mysterio, Randy Orton and Lashley will now be on virtually every PPV, supplemented by workers on the level of Kane, Booker and Kennedy, while those on the level of Paul London & Brian Kendrick will be featured less on PPV, subsequently pushed less on TV, and be in line for fewer bonuses as a result. As well as the wrestling talent, all three announce teams are expected to work every PPV show too.

I hope the Hardys in MITB means we get them hanging from the hook and swinging around when someone moves the ladder from under them.

that Edge spear on Matt from the hook down to the mat was one of the greatest WWE spots I've ever seen...WM 17, right?

Also, the way he was pushed into the main event, it wasn't a natural transition like

I don't think he can, and it's not his fault. People on this board are complaining that he's not the next Rock and Austin, but is that because of the characters or the times? The Rock and Austin were great characters, but how many things didn't work during the attitude era? Not much, once WWF/E changed to a more edgy product (like Nitro), which really just mirrored society in general wanting edgier/more provocative things. Rap rose to real prominence societally and fiscally speaking in the mid-to late nineties, more violence/sex/cursing on TV/radio was occurring (just think of the things you can see on the radio/tv that you'd never would have heard in 1995) for many reasons (not the least of which people really hated that the eighties and early nineties were so bland/boring). The Rock and Austin characters were great, but only attained their level during the attitude era b/c the people DEMANDED this type of character as opposed to the other way around. Last few years, in general, it seems the public at large feels there may be TOO much sex/cursing/etc. happening/commonplace and in a way, want less edgier things 9and becoming more conservative in many ways). This is why wrestling fell into this recession (not the best word, but you get what I mean) and lost the casual fan, in addition to losing major talent and WWE losing competition, and getting lazy.

NO ONE from the current crop will become Rock/Austin/Hogan big because the public doesn't want it currently. Probably in a half decade-to decade they will, since these things are usually cyclical. But I'd say the mood/general attitude of society at the time dictates the state of the wresting business much more than any character/characters.

I agree he has the tools, he's been so badly neutered by the booking staff. What got him over was his hip hop edginess. If they let him go back to that persona, instead of the goofy stomp-around-salute/overcome the odds nerd, I could see him elevating into that next level.

To kinda piggyback on this--and I hardly ever see this mentioned, so if I'm beating a dead horse excuse me--one of the reasons I think Cena got over like he did back in 03 wasn't so much the fact that people liked the hip hop gimmick, but that he was actually (for the most part) writing his own stuff. In addition to the edginess, this also made his promos stand out from the cookie cutter, pre-written stuff that most people were getting, and also allowed a lot of his true personality to shine through. Now I don't really pay enough attention to know whether or not he plays as big a role in his writing as he did a couple of years ago (judging from the HHH program leading into Mania last year, I'd say no), but it's true that it wasn't until he started moving away from his "freestyles" and started being fed the same cliched b.s. we've been seeing since the Attitude days that people started to turn on him. If that's the case then I don't think he necessarily has to go back to rapping, but if they'd just cut back on some of the scripting and let him cut loose a little more it could probably do a lot for him.

At the Fan Axxess thing I went to today, some young infant (had to be carried by her mom, no more than a year or two old) was doing the 'you can't see me' hand gesture. That was all worth it. That and doing commentary on 5 minutes of a Helms/Hardy match. Commentary sure is hard when you don't have people feeding you lines during lulls in the action or a partner to say something.

I hope the Hardys in MITB means we get them hanging from the hook and swinging around when someone moves the ladder from under them.

that Edge spear on Matt from the hook down to the mat was one of the greatest WWE spots I've ever seen...WM 17, right?

I think it was on Jeff at Summerslam 00.

No, wait, Jeff was on the ladder and Edge jumped off the top/another ladder, I think.

Edge did the spear on Jeff at Mania X-7, but I think he had already done it at the first RAW on TNN in a ladder match pitting the Hardyz vs E&C. Still awesome, nonetheless.

If Candice Michelle isn't the top face Diva in two years, and Women's Champion... I'll be stunned.

If she's in the company in two years, I'll be shocked. She looks like a woman (read: older than 25) and you know girls don't last much longer than 30 in WWE...