TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ragingfear79

Wii

I'd buy it for the 360 since I can't imagine a wrestling game working all that great with Wii controls. It would end up something where you use normal controls for the most part, and maybe some sort of gimmick motion add-ons to make use of "Wii controls". Something like that is totally different than a game like RE5. I'm not a blind Wii "fanboy" or anything like that - there's some genres that I just don't think will work as well on the Wii as they do on the other two systems. A wrestling game is one of those genres.

If the Wii was just as powerful as the 360 or the PS3, I'd buy the Wii version of a game every single time for genres like FPS and action games like Zelda. I wouldn't even have to think about anything like that, not even for a second.

Any game that requires significant amounts of aiming is preferable on the Wii. It's unfortunate that FPS developers generally want to push technology to the limit and make the best looking games possible, because that goal is incompatible with the Wii. The Wii also has the worst online service of the three consoles, but theoretically that could be fixed by Nintendo (dropping the friend code nonsense). I think it's moot, because generally the Wii isn't going to be getting the same games that the 360/PS3 are. When a game is multi-platform, it looks like the 360/PS3 get the same game, while the Wii version not only has the graphics reduced, but they change the game in other ways as well.

Although I must say, if PS3 developers start consistently supporting mouse/keyboard control schemes, then the PS3 is the system of choice for FPS and other games of the sort. The UT3 developers have said they're allowing for mouse/keyboard control in the PS3 version of the game, so hopefully that starts it on the road to becoming commonplace.

I don't see RE5 Wii happening. I've said it time and again: it isn't just visual quality that separates the Wii from the real next gen platforms. The amount of on-screen characters/enemies, the size of the enviros, and the character AI also would be a problem for porting lots of next-gen titles.

RE AI usually is poor, and ordinarily the enviros wouldn't be an issue within enclosed spaces, however footage we've seen on RE5 indicates likely lots of characters on screen at a given time along with large, open environments. In comparison, take a look at Metroid Prime 3 on Wii, where the system seems to nearly choke to death going through doors to another large area, likely due to the lack on onboard memory.

It's well known that Wii couldn't handle a Dead Rising, Bioshock, or Assassin's Creed, and I doubt it could handle a RE5 without changing it beyond recognition.

As for whether SD vs. Raw Wii would be worth a go--it depends. I'd give it a rent. The way I see it, THQ/Yukes have been miserable failures at making sim-style wrestling games for almost all of the series' tenure, so I'd want to see if they pull this off well. Otherwise, I'll just stick to No Mercy/Revenge, which is fine by me.

If you owned a 360 and a Wii, and a game came out for both systems, say, RE5, or Smackdown VS Raw 2008, do you buy the 360 version, or the Wii version?

It would all come down to the controls, but usually 360. That's why I purchased both systems, though.

You're missing the point.

If you owned a 360 and a Wii, and a game came out for both systems, say, RE5, or Smackdown VS Raw 2008, do you buy the 360 version, or the Wii version?

Okay well I didn't see the part about owning both systems in your original question. :P

The Wii also has the worst online service of the three consoles, but theoretically that could be fixed by Nintendo (dropping the friend code nonsense).

It's free, period. I'd rather have free online service and have it be somewhat shoddy than pay for good internet service (which I wouldn't even buy in the first place.) It gets back to Nintendo's marketing strategy: making a fun, non-core system accessible by all the age groups. I really doubt that people who are getting into video games for the first time are going to want to fuck around with a complex internet service, and then pay for it.

I guess the ultimate test is going to be shit like SSBB and MarioKart, which should be solid legit real-time gameplay.

Nintendo's online play has generally been lag-free when I played it, and I have to admit they NAILED Custom Robo. Absolutely wonderful online experience there.

Mario Strikers is enjoyable online, nothing to complain.

If all you care about is playing games online against random people, the Wii/DS is just fine. Playing against people you know is tough, because you can't add people you enjoyed playing against as friends*

*except in Metroid Hunters and Custom Robo for DS, and in that you add them as rivals, in which you can see them online and challenge them, but you're not allowed to communicate with them.

But as far as I can tell, even the PS3 is better than the Wii, and the PS3's online is free.

The Wii's online functionality is inferior to the PS3's which is also free. It's also inferior to the 360, which makes the price a moot point. If it was close, it might be comparable, but it's really not. Hopefully as more games come out, there will be a bunch that make sense online, and Nintendo will allow online play in them. That along with a good Wiiware service should improve things dramatically. I'm not so sure about the prospects of online gameplay becoming common place though.

Excuse me, how much do we know about the RE5 AI?

Nothing. But we're making the assumption that the AI will be such that the Wii won't have the processing power to handle the AI as it appears on the PS3/360.

So whats the deal with the Wii being online? I mean ive heard there are a few games that are online but is there alot of games that are coming out soo nthat will be online? Kind of sucks when my roommates are playing there 360 online and here i am getting laughed at for going the Wii route

So whats the deal with the Wii being online? I mean ive heard there are a few games that are online but is there alot of games that are coming out soo nthat will be online? Kind of sucks when my roommates are playing there 360 online and here i am getting laughed at for going the Wii route

Online Wii games can be split into three categories:

Games That Use WiiConnect24 - Use the list of registered Wii friends on your Wii friends system list. These games don't have competitive multiplayer per se, but feature some kind of online interactivity. There are three games that use this so far:

Elebits

Big Brain Academy

Metroid Prime 3

Games That Use WiFiConnection With Friend Codes - These games have their own separate lists of friends. Friends are registered on a per-game basis using 12-digit friend codes. These games support competitive multiplayer. The two games that use this so far:

Pokemon Battle Revolution

Mario Strikers Charged

Other - There are games that support online play without friend codes. The game that uses this so far:

Madden 08

There are other games coming out, like FIFA, Batallion Wars, Dewy's Adventure, and Medal of Honor, that have confirmed online features in those categories, but those six are it so far.

Nothing. But we're making the assumption that the AI will be such that the Wii won't have the processing power to handle the AI as it appears on the PS3/360.

That's a pretty big assumption though. If your going by the trailer, all I saw was a guy surrounded by alot of "zombies" behaving in the same manner as they did in re4. For all we know he allowed than much people gang up on him to give of the impression that you're constantly in trouble. Same thing could be done in certain areas of RE4.

That's a pretty big assumption though. If your going by the trailer, all I saw was a guy surrounded by alot of "zombies" behaving in the same manner as they did in re4. For all we know he allowed than much people gang up on him to give of the impression that you're constantly in trouble. Same thing could be done in certain areas of RE4.

I know it's wrong to jump to conclusions. But sometimes it's tough to be a Wii owner; it's easy to assume the worst. Metroid and Strikers were nice additions to my library, though, and the upcoming releases look pretty good.

Ai isn't a issue in processing power. Its mostly the ability to render onscreen geometry and textures along with animations. The AI could possibly be the same, but if the characters don't have the animations to move or look like blocky characters because of the inability to render that much onscreen geometry, that is what would hold back a WII version.

We are just talking polygons here and animations mostly. and coupled with the control scheme, it has to take it down a notch graphically just to maintain smooth control. That is where the WII isn't able to keep up graphically.

There is no reason that RE5 wouldn't just look the same as RE4 and play the same as its counterparts(ai wise) with a fewer animations. And simplified maps and models isn't that hard to produce for a game like this either.

Oh ok so Madden 08 online is just like xbox live in that i can just randomly player anyone that is also online?

Yeah, all Nintendo games are. It's just that some make it a bitch to know who you're playing.

Ai isn't a issue in processing power.

If the AI has any adaptable qualities (A good example of this is F.E.A.R. or Halo), its reliance on CPU power grows dramatically.

On top of that, AI routines cannot use graphics hardware for acceleration, as graphics hardware is strictly limited to matrix manipulation.

Perfect example: Pop open UT 2004, and start a botmatch. Depending on the machine, each bot reduces the frames per second by 1.

I agree that the RE5 AI itself likely isn't a problem, as they're probably going to be simplistic. It's probably going to be the on screen character, environments, etc. causing a problem. I don't think RE5 is going to be Dead Rising in Africa, but I expect to see a lot more zombies at any given time than before.

Guest Smues

It's being reported that Mario Kart Wii will support online play with 16 players. Awesomeness.

It's being reported that Mario Kart Wii will support online play with 16 players. Awesomeness.

Whoah, I thought 8 players was a pipe dream. If they can do 16 player online that would be insanely awesome.

All the Mario Kart stuff that ONM posted just got retracted saying "We were reporting rumor."

Of course, I'm willing to bet they posted fact before it was okay.

THQ Inc announced Worms: A Space Oddity is scheduled for release in spring 2008. Retaining the humor synonymous with the Worms brand, Worms: A Space Oddity marks the franchise debut on the Wii with a fresh visual style, new environmental settings, intuitive controls and even more customization options. Players will be closer to the action than ever before, launching attacks through a wide range of gesture-based maneuvers only possible with the Wii Remote.

In Worms: A Space Oddity, players will enjoy the ultimate blend of classic Worms game modes and re-invented single-player missions, as well as multiplayer modes that include a host of all-new party games and even more customization options. The game takes advantage of the Wii’s intuitive controls, on-screen hints and the redesigned interface with an in-game help system. Worms: A Space Oddity demonstrates significant visual, technical and design advancement over its predecessors with a new visual style that abandons the traditional drawn approach and replaces it with a distinctive style inspired by classic Sci-Fi looks. The Worms battles take place across six planets, each with its own, unique environments and global events. The online multiplayer experience pits up to four Worms fiends from all over the world against each other.

http://au.media.wii.ign.com/media/960/960194/imgs_1.html

Figured I'd just post this here: http://wii.ign.com/articles/818/818299p1.html

Nintendo's Hold on Japan Continues

Three quarters of all hardware sales are for Nintendo systems.

by Daemon Hatfield

September 6, 2007 - While Nintendo's latest console and handheld systems are seeing success worldwide, their accomplishment is particularly impressive in the company's homeland of Japan. According to the latest Japanese sales data from Famitsu, the DS and Wii combined to make up 75.4 percent of all hardware sales during the month of August 2007. The DS alone accounted for 53 percent. Japanese gamers picked up 578,233 DS Lite's during the month and 245,653 Wiis.

Nintendo was also the top publisher for the month with 20 titles in the top 50, including the best-selling game of the month, Mario Party 8, which sold almost twice as many copies as the next-best selling game, PS2's J-League Winning Eleven 2007: Club Championship. Along with recently released games like DK Jungle Climber and The Legend of Zelda: The Phantom Hourglass, Nintendo has several older titles in the top 50, such as Brain Age 2 (released at the end of 2005) and Nintendogs (released in April of 2005). Nintendo's nearest competition (in terms of publishers) is Square Enix, with five games in the top 50.

Of course many of the 30 games in the top 50 not published by Nintendo are for Nintendo systems, such as Square Enix's Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates for the DS and Capcom's Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trials and Tribulations, also for the DS.

nintendos-hold-on-japan-continues-20070906011823650.jpg

Sin & Punishment, a game that recently came out on the Japanese VC, has been rated by the OFLC (The Australian ESRB). This basically means that a game that was never released outside of Japan, even though it was fully localized, is seeing the light of day.

With a PAL release imminent, the odds of it coming out in the US have increased dramatically.

No Neo Geo games came out in the PAL Regions though, instead, this week was five Genesis (Mega Drive) games for them. Whether we'll get Neo Geo games this Monday is unknown, but I doubt it.

I hope that Sin and punishment is this months n64 game.

Yeah, I'd say we'll get neo geo game but not until the end of the month/ the near future (a few months time). It was a great group of genesis games though.

Metroid Prime 3 made my Wii crap out and now I have to send it in!

Edit: Maybe not, Nintendo wants me to try a differant copy of Metroid Prime 3, which means I have to return this one and rent another one somewhere else. Damnit.