TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Youth N Asia

Hughes to retire after 2 more fights?

http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles.asp?n_id=6087

posted today

--------------

There have been rumblings from the Miletich camp for several months that UFC welterweight champion Matt Hughes (Pictures) was considering winding down his extraordinary career.

Hughes recently confirmed to Sherdog.com that he indeed plans on fighting out his current UFC contract, which will have one bout left following his title defense against Georges St. Pierre (Pictures) on Nov. 18, before retiring from active participation in the sport of mixed martial arts.

The question was first broached when Hughes was asked where he saw himself a year from now. “Hopefully retired with my family back home,” the UFC welterweight champion responded.

“In a perfect world” Hughes declared that he would “fight a couple more times, retire, [and] go back home.”

Hughes cited the strain of being away from family, including a newborn daughter, as motivation for hanging up his four-ounce gloves.

The two time UFC champ, who stands at 40-4-0, made it clear he has come to a point where the benefits of fighting are far outweighed by the negatives that come along with it.

Hughes, 33, did leave open the possibility, should he get past a very tough St. Pierre, of moving up in weight to face UFC 185-pound champion Anderson Silva in hopes of becoming the first fighter to concurrently hold UFC titles in multiple weight classes.

Makes sense. He'd go out beating one of his top rivals (GSP) and making history (if he wins both matches) or giving "The Rub" to Silva (if he loses). He's pretty much done everything else he can do in the sport.

Of course, he could LOSE both matches, but let's not think about that right now.

Of course, he could LOSE both matches, but let's not think about that right now.

As a Hughes hater, that's EXACTLY what I want to think about right now.

If GSP loses, I cry. Now that Serra has a title shot, if, say, GSP wins, then would he face Serra, and then Diego?

There's talk of UFC holding their April PPV in Montreal so I imagine that's where Diego/GSP would take place assuming the February show is going to feature the TUF winners getting their shots.

And I do not at all exaggerate when I say that UFC better hire personal security for Diego if he's fighting GSP in Montreal.

There's talk of UFC holding their April PPV in Montreal so I imagine that's where Diego/GSP would take place assuming the February show is going to feature the TUF winners getting their shots.

And I do not at all exaggerate when I say that UFC better hire personal security for Diego if he's fighting GSP in Montreal.

Whoever fights GSP in Montreal (I'm assuming that he fights there title or no, although like Hughes he also has only 2 fights left on his contract) should go full heel and wear a Leafs sweater.

I imagine Hughes will retire after Hughes/GSP III. It's kinda surprising he didn't just retire Saturday night when all that hugging he did to his pals made it look like he was walking to the gallows.

I'd consider the timing of this . He's got one fight left before he's out of contract with UFC. UFC needs stars, and Matt is one of them which he knows. Call me suspicious but I'd say he's just trying to get a better deal for his next contract.

Hughes ain't retiring before he has the third fight with Penn. He knows that he got beaten soundly in the first and he damn sure knows he was getting stomped until a cracked rib gave him an opening.