TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MFer

Akon

So I was taking a look at the Billboard charts and saw that Akon's in the top two slots of the Hot 100 list with "I Wanna Love You ft Snoop Dogg" and "Smack That ft Eminem." His album, "Konvicted," also debuted at #2 on the Billboard 200 behind The Game's "Doctor's Advocate." He's had quite a few hits in the past couple years with others such as Young Jeezy, Baby Bash, and Obie Trice as well as his own songs. What do you guys think of Akon as a performer. Is he the new Nate Dogg? How big can he be in the mainstream? Discuss.

I thought this was going to be about Akron/Family. I doubt Akron/Family will be the next Nate Dogg...unless lo-fi folk pop becomes really, really popular.

Modest Mouse was popular for a minute or two...

They're my fave American band. They will get even more popular, presumably, with the upcoming record. But they will never be able to reach the popularity level of 50 Cent/Nickelback/Kenny Chesney and the rest of the mainstream acts that record solely to appease labels and radio.

America has plenty of great artsits, some with a fair level of polularity, but our current system only allows for the cheesiest of the cheese at the top.

Well, they made it on a Kidz Bop CD. And I don't have a problem with Kenny Chesney, persay...He makes good driving music.

Have you heard anything off the forthcoming Modest Mouse CD? When's that puppy comin' out, anyway?

Really my question should have been is he the biggest at this moment . Anyways, I like his new singles. I haven't listened to his album so anyone who has let us know how it sounds. I think Akon is at his best when he's accompanied by another artist or two. When he does songs alone, the results are less than stellar, to say the least.

I liked the song he had with India Arie (I am not my hair) but besides that I find his voice to be pretty annoying. But he has 9 wives to feed so you all should buy his album.

I thought this was going to be about Akron/Family. I doubt Akron/Family will be the next Nate Dogg...unless lo-fi folk pop becomes really, really popular.

Is Akron/Family becoming a little known? I used to be friends with two of those guys. Music's decent, but they'll get better. Pretty talented overall as musicians.

I wouldn't say that they're becoming known unless you're into that kind of music. But yeah, they seem like they're on the verge of becoming a really, really good bad. Their new CD is a big step-up from their earlier one.

Well you'll find out about Akon really soon:

Nov 27 - AKON AND HIS 3 WIVES GET REALITY SHOW!!

November 27. Ever since the release of the hit series Being Bobby Brown, everyone has been trying to get their own reality show. MediaTakeOut.com has learned that the latest to enter the reality show frenzy is hip hop star Akon.

But Akon's reality show has an interesting twist. You see, Akon, who is originally from Senegal Africa, is a practicing polygamist.

The show, which is currently in pre-production, is set to feature all three of Akon's wives - living under one roof. A person close to the production tells MediaTakeOut.com, "this is going to be the strangest reality show ever ... the way Akon manages his 'situation' is nothing short of incredible." Our source adds, "since Akon is on tour most of the time, the show is going to spend a lot of time featuring the wives."

And according to our source, the show is set to have some explosive moments. The insider explained, "only one of the wives is [a native of Africa], the other two are American ... and that seems to cause a lot of tension in the house."

But while the series may be a ratings bonanza for Akon, it may expose the African rapper to criminal liability. MediaTakeOut.com's legal expert Notoya Green explains, "it is a crime in this country to have more than one wife ... Akon needs to be very careful that he doesn't incriminate himself on national television."

Representatives for Akon have refused to comment.

Developing...

Source:http://mediatakeout.com/Exclusives/Akon_Wives.html

I liked when he featured with India Arie "Im not my hair" remix, and Jeezy "Sole Surivior" but he's the modern version of Nate Dogg. I guess when you got 3 wives, and a 1000 kids you got to make yourself visble as possible.

There is only one Nate dog. He is like a mix between kieth Sweat and Nate Dogg. Annoying whiney voice that shows up on the hooks of everyones songs.

Just saying thou, he something like along the lines of Nate Dogg, for those who having heard of him. His 1st album is what call "depressing Music" his album was too depressing. "Locked Up" remix with Styles P was a hot track thou.

Well that settles that. I guess his platnium plaques mean nothing now.

but seriously, if i've never heard of him he can't be the biggest artist in music. i think we can all agree on timberlake, no?