TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RonL21

OAO WrestleMania 23 Thread-April 1st, 2007

While Cena as champ isn't making me tune into RAW, I can't see anyone else who would be better with the belt than him. I mean in 97, you KNEW Austin was going to be champ, and when he won the belt, you never wanted to see him lose it (unless it was by a Vince screwjob). I don't really want to see Edge as champ, or Orton, or Umaga, or Shawn. What bothers me is that I don't know who can work a credible program with Cena this summer. I'm fine with him being champion, it's just that he's boring because he has no one to mesh with. His feud with Edge last year was semi interesting, but it took a back seat to the DX/McMahon shit. If you're going to put him over in the main event two years in a row, HE should be the biggest face on the poster, not Vince or Donald Trump.

Austin/Vince was MONEY. Hogan/Andre was MONEY. Rock/HHH was MONEY. Cena needs someone to do the same for him. And right now, I can't think of anyone who would work, at least within WWE storylines. I guess we'll have another "Cena beats an unstoppable opponent, overcoming all the odds when NO ONE thought he stood a chance" feud coming up.

Traditionally the night after Mania starts a new booking year/period/quarter/whatever, so I guess we'll see what the big summer feud will be. As long as it doesn't involve someone named McMahon, I'll be mildly interested.

FFF's again does not justify his thrashing of WM23

Bob, I respect you as a poster and I'm willing to listen to your opinions, so why don't you quote my last post and rebute my opinions on each match. I'd like to hear why you think this PPV was anything better than mediocre.

Vince's head looks small without his hair. If he ever wrestles in his tanktop with his bald head, he'll look like the shrunken head guy from Beetlejuice. Taker-Batista should have closed, they had thier working boots tonight. The Cena-Michaels match was only good till the 2nd half, why spend 10 minutes working on the leg if it's only going to get ignored ? It was a repeat of last year match, only with less Cena hate.

And the Fast and Furious entrance < THHHor's entrance from last year

I think the crowd was lame which is suprising for a Detroit crowd. Either that or there was some production trickery with the volume, especially in the last match. I hate Cena , but I expected him to win and was fine with that, but just not with the STFU again. Definately should have had Taker close out the shoWii. Seems to me they could have squeezed in one more match. I would have loved to have seen Hass and Benjamin ( with the titles) against Kendrick and London in a crosss promotional match to see who the better tag team is. Of course there was no build up for that and Cena/Micheals have the belts ( God knows why??!!!)

Detriot fans should be embarrased that 20,000 Chicagoans were louder,"hotter" that 80,000.

While Cena as champ isn't making me tune into RAW, I can't see anyone else who would be better with the belt than him. I mean in 97, you KNEW Austin was going to be champ, and when he won the belt, you never wanted to see him lose it (unless it was by a Vince screwjob). I don't really want to see Edge as champ, or Orton, or Umaga, or Shawn. What bothers me is that I don't know who can work a credible program with Cena this summer. I'm fine with him being champion, it's just that he's boring because he has no one to mesh with. His feud with Edge last year was semi interesting, but it took a back seat to the DX/McMahon shit. If you're going to put him over in the main event two years in a row, HE should be the biggest face on the poster, not Vince or Donald Trump.

Austin/Vince was MONEY. Hogan/Andre was MONEY. Rock/HHH was MONEY. Cena needs someone to do the same for him. And right now, I can't think of anyone who would work, at least within WWE storylines. I guess we'll have another "Cena beats an unstoppable opponent, overcoming all the odds when NO ONE thought he stood a chance" feud coming up.

Traditionally the night after Mania starts a new booking year/period/quarter/whatever, so I guess we'll see what the big summer feud will be. As long as it doesn't involve someone named McMahon, I'll be mildly interested.

Cena vs. Khali. I can't wait. :throwup:

Also (might have already been mentioned), but how long before everyone disputes the 80,000 attendance figure? Oh wait, Keith's blog has someone saying it looked like only 55,000.

For the record (and I know you will all shit on me for this), but I believe the 93,173 number for WM III. The SilverDome held 90,000 for football, and all those seats were full, plus all the ones on the floor. How someone could equate that to 60,000 or so is beyond me.

MITB told a great story with good spots. Jeff having the chance to win but Matt convincing him to for the big spot, Booker and his wife, the stuff with Hornswoggle- fun as hell match, perfect way to kick off the show.

You seemed to like or think a lot of stuff was okay, which doesn't lend itself to a horrible show.

The BOTB was fun. Sure the match was nothing, but Trump going after Vince was hilarious, and I thought the post-match stuff wasn't as drawn out as I feared.

The backstage segmenet was cute and it was fun seeing all the legends.

And I was all for Cena winning. HBK didn't need another run in him, and I like how Cena keeps dominating on RAW.

Fink didn't ring announce at last year's WM either

I liked how the two guys who will be the future were the ones at the end. Punk come off looking like he was going to win as well which makes him look good.

The crowd was hot for Punk. They would have blown the roof off if Punk won the MITB match. Crowd was dead in every other match after that with the exeption of the Taker match

Also (might have already been mentioned), but how long before everyone disputes the 80,000 attendance figure? Oh wait, Keith's blog has someone saying it looked like only 55,000.

For the record (and I know you will all shit on me for this), but I believe the 93,173 number for WM III. The SilverDome held 90,000 for football, and all those seats were full, plus all the ones on the floor. How someone could equate that to 60,000 or so is beyond me.

The 93,000 figure has been debunked many times. It was something like 75,000

My quick thoughts of the show.

MITB: I felt like it needed one more big spot to make it balls out good, but still a great effort by everyone involved. I was really concerned about Edge and Jeff. I hate how WWE plays around with the X sign and the fans concerns the past few years. Happy to see Kenedy win. ***

Kane v. Kahli: Passable. I was kind of hoping for something laughable bad. Kane did his best to pull a half way decent match w/ Kahli. *

MVP-Benoit: Very good effort on both ends. It really would have helped to go another 5 minutes. Suprised by the booking, Benoit dosn't need the US Title, a win for MVP would have really elevated him. **3/4.

Batista-Taker. The two were upset they didn't go on last and their effort really showed. Fun big man match. ***1/4

New Breed vs. ECW Originals: Fun but a little too quick. Would have helped if it was an extreme rules match and Punk played a role. Pleasently surprised by the booking. **

Lashley vs. Umaga: Solid but slighlty disapointing. Expected booking, still wished Trump got shaved after taking the stunner. **3/4

Melina-Ashley: Passable. No botched spots a real suprise, along with the Melina victory. Looks like she's safe with the company for company for now :) *

Cena-HBK. Everything went as expected, but a great match. Only thing I didn't like is how Cena keeps making pepole tap out. I wanted HBK to win, but I can only complain that Cena won via submission. JC is not a technical wrestler, just have him win w/ the 123 and it's more beliveable and it dosn't feel like they're forcing Cena down our throats. ****1/4

Atmosphere was great, the set was amazing and made me wish I got high for the show. Solid card top to bottom, nothing I expected Kahli-Kane and Melina-Ashley to be horrible, but turned out passable. Not one of the best Manias but fun and entertaining the whole time through. Thumbs up.

I think the crowd was lame which is suprising for a Detroit crowd. Either that or there was some production trickery with the volume, especially in the last match. I hate Cena , but I expected him to win and was fine with that, but just not with the STFU again. Definately should have had Taker close out the shoWii. Seems to me they could have squeezed in one more match. I would have loved to have seen Hass and Benjamin ( with the titles) against Kendrick and London in a crosss promotional match to see who the better tag team is. Of course there was no build up for that and Cena/Micheals have the belts ( God knows why??!!!)

Detriot fans should be embarrased that 20,000 Chicagoans were louder,"hotter" that 80,000.

Wait till next year, outdoors at the Citrus Bowl. Bret (I think) said it was really tough to wrestle as SSlam 92 at Wembley because the outdoor crowd noise didn't seem as loud/took longer to get in the ring. I bet everything will sound muted.

I liked how the two guys who will be the future were the ones at the end. Punk come off looking like he was going to win as well which makes him look good.

The crowd was hot for Punk. They would have blown the roof off if Punk won the MITB match. Crowd was dead in every other match after that with the exeption of the Taker match

That's funny because Kennedy got a big reaction as well. Crowd was flipping for BoB and the main event. You think they were dead because they didn't hate Cena enough. They were popping for that entire match.

The result I read about Booker choosing to save Sharmell rather than go for the briefcase is something I liked. Makes him seem like a different heel than say Edge who if seeing Lita in the same position would likely shrug and keep climbing.

Yeah, when I saw that I liked it a lot. Makes Booker look less cowardly and willing to do what's right even though he's a heel. Just because someone is a heel doesn't mean they have to be a chickenshit that doesn't give a shit about their loved ones.

For everyone who thinks UT/Batista should have main evented, keep in mind how much getting snubbed probably pissed them off enough to work as hard as they could.

MITB told a great story with good spots. Jeff having the chance to win but Matt convincing him to for the big spot, Booker and his wife, the stuff with Hornswoggle- fun as hell match, perfect way to kick off the show.

You seemed to like or think a lot of stuff was okay, which doesn't lend itself to a horrible show.

The BOTB was fun. Sure the match was nothing, but Trump going after Vince was hilarious, and I thought the post-match stuff wasn't as drawn out as I feared.

The backstage segmenet was cute and it was fun seeing all the legends.

And I was all for Cena winning. HBK didn't need another run in him, and I like how Cena keeps dominating on RAW.

Fink didn't ring announce at last year's WM either

I know Fink didn't do last year..its just that he's the best, he was there tonight, yet they didn't have him do it. I don't get it.

I did think some stuff was ok, but it could have been SO MUCH better. There was so much wasted potential and I hate it. Cena winning pissed me off, but I did expect it, and I know he'll continue his bullshit reign for another few years. I guess there's nothing I can do but accept it and limit myself to watching Smackdown.

The backstage segment was stupid, I don't know how you thought it was cute. A retard, two "gangsta thugs", and 2 elderly women dancing..does not belong on a wrestling show.

He has zero charisma

Oh come the fuck on. :bonk:

To me he has none. He wears the same garb, says the same shit, tries to sound like the Rock, but isnt remotely funny or entertaining to me. They are shoving the fucking guy down our throats!! He has had the belt 20 of the last 24 months??!! They can still sell his merchandise to the kiddies and little future ho's withou having to have the belt on him

Was there a reason why Teddy Long announced the World Title match? Talk about an anti-climatic feel to the entrances.

That's the only complaint I have about this show. The nearfall sequence with Cena and Shawn was one of the best things I've seen in wrestling in a good while.

He has zero charisma

To me he has none. He wears the same garb, says the same shit, tries to sound like the Rock, but isnt remotely funny or entertaining to me. They are shoving the fucking guy down our throats!! He has had the belt 20 of the last 24 months??!! They can still sell his merchandise to the kiddies and little future ho's withou having to have the belt on him

Do you even know what the hell charisma is?

The 93,000 figure has been debunked many times. It was something like 75,000

What was the attendence figures for Toronto ( Hogan - Warrior) and the wrestlemania in the Astrodome?

He has zero charisma

Didn't the Rock wear the same style of clothes and say some of the same shit all the time? I recall that working out real well for him.

He has zero charisma

To me he has none.

Then you're a blind Cena hating tool, fair enough.

I didn't used to like the guy at all, I hated him with a passion, but even I came around to realize he tries hard and is a lot better now than I ever thought he would be. Hate him all you want, you don't have to like the guy, but if you can't at least admit that he has charisma, then you're just being a retard.

That 80,103 figure is legit....They were 76,000+ sold according to the Detroit Free Press at the beginning of the week...That's when they put out the Standing room only tickets for $25.......easily coulve sold 4,000 25 dollar tickets for an event like this in less than a week...

Was there a reason why Teddy Long announced the World Title match? Talk about an anti-climatic feel to the entrances.

That's the only complaint I have about this show. The nearfall sequence with Cena and Shawn was one of the best things I've seen in wrestling in a good while.

The regular announcer had to go potty. :lol: He probably did it as an enforcer type, since he is the GM.

For everyone who thinks UT/Batista should have main evented, keep in mind how much getting snubbed probably pissed them off enough to work as hard as they could.

Taker would have been on his "A" game no matter what

It's probably all been said by now but I'll go over the matches myself with thoughts.

--Money in the Bank. Pretty much what it was going to be, though I have to think this concept is now getting a bit old hat. I also wondered if Edge was legit hurt since I expected the Flair comeback moment where he returned. I was figuring either Kennedy or maybe Punk, so the ending was feasible. Thing is, they sorta booked themselves into a corner with Kennedy winning since he can't beat any of the current champions and that has been well established.

--Kane vs. Khali. They kept it short and it wasn't anything too horrid. I mean what would anyone expect? I thought maybe a DQ involving the hook, but if there was a decisive winner it was going to be Khali.

--Benoit vs. MVP. This was a hell of a match, probably the sleeper of the show. MVP showed me a lot tonight in a defeat. Add another 7 mins. to this one and it's easy ****.

--UT vs. Batista. As I noted earlier in the thread, why the FUCK was this not the main event? You have Batista defending the title. UT 14-0 at WM. Ton of interest and heat. And this was a great match, easily better than the overlong snoozer that was the main event. Batista brought it tonight, UT got the belt...great stuff.

--Originals vs. The New Breed. Ah, booking sanity prevailed. I believe I was one of the few on here to predict this one, figuring they wouldn't dare job out RVD and Sabu in Detroit right after inducting The Shiek last night. I wish this had gone longer and involved all of the guys, maybe they can do a rematch in the future that is Extreme Rules.

--Umaga vs. Lashley. Okay, I have to say this was the first thing on the show that to me pretty much tanked. Since both guys were pawns in the storyline, the fans didn't care about either. And they did the dumbest possible idea of having Austin call it strictly by the book and not just let these guys tear each other up (which was the only way to have a good match). The Shane run in fell flat as well, as I'm sick and tired of him doing a Van Terminator when they have RVD actually ON the show. The blatant outcome killed the heat of this one, I think. That and the timekeeper ringing the bell before the actual 3 count. Oops.

--Melina vs. Ashley. Why was this a Lumberjill match? They hardly came into play. Ah well, at least they didn't actually put the belt on the useless Ashley. Now bring up Beth Phoenix and Katie Lea from OVW and recreate the women's division.

--Cena vs. Michaels. As mentioned, why did this main event? It had the same lame finish from last year's show (HHH and HBK both tapping), the match's overall story made zero sense, and it was entirely too long. What was the point of HBK's leg work on Cena when he later just shrugged it off? It was time killing and in my view done so that Cena didn't get any offense so that he would be booed.

There is no one who can argue that UT winning the title shouldn't have been the main event. Cena could have retained with his weak STF in the middle of the show. I actually thought he would retain most likely, but why in the main event when a more interesting match with a title change was on the undercard?

Something I haven't seen: About 10 mins or so into HBK/Cena, Shawn was working on Cena's leg in the corner, then gets on one knee and starts talking to him. They very noticeably muted the in ring mics for about 5 seconds. Lawler acknowledged it as Shawn saying "something about being his partner". Big coverup or just masking a called spot?

And the guy on 411 is an idiot. I enjoyed his review until he turned into a dumbass mark for predicting Cena/Rock, Hbk/STING! and Hogan/Foley for next year. Why does everyone want these "dream" matches?

He has zero charisma

Didn't the Rock wear the same style of clothes and say some of the same shit all the time? I recall that working out real well for him.

Ummmmm NOOOOO!!!! He switched it up. He went fron the Versace shirts to the black vest, to the brahma bull attire etc. And his mic work was always diffrent and told a diffrent story. He also changed catch phrases. From the smackdown hotel, and know your role, when he was a heel, to Finnally the rock is back....., and the rock loves pie, etc, etc. The work he did with the hurricane was genious (hamburglur), as well as his stuff with Foley, both as a heel and as a face. It never sounded forced or copied like Cena's does

Cena having no charisma? C'mon.. when he was rapping, when he was "fuck the world" the guy had crazy charisma. Him being a face has pretty much killed that and the writing crew has neutered him immensely.

Like someone else said, Rock said the same shit and wore the same "$1,000 shirt" week in and week out with the same lame ass Versace shades.

The only thing I really hate about WM is the entrances seemed really fuckin lack-luster this year. With Cena still going with the whole "marine" schtick, I thought it would've been bad-ass to see him come out in fatigues while about 50-100 guys (druid's re-dressed) lined up along the entrance in Marine dress attire with sabre's held out for Cena to walk under.

HBK using the DX music rubbed me the wrong way.. 'specially with him coming out in older style gear that just doesn't mesh well to the look and music of DX.

With all of the time left, there wasn't a way to televise the Flair/Carlito tag match?