TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RonL21

Movies you like...

At Close Range - Christopher Walken rules in this movie. Sean Penn's pretty good too.

Angel Heart - I think this is Mickey Rourke's finest performance.

Necessary Roughness and Major League 3. It's the Bacula fan in me.

"Wally, get up, people are watching. Not many but people are watching!"

"If this wasn't frickin astroturf, I'd dig a grave here for myself!"

Necessary Roughness is such a great movie. Scott Bakula owns your asses and you all know it. Plus come on, Jason Bateman as the rich boy starting running back? How do you TOP that? Answer: Sinbad as the star defensive end!

As for me, I gotta go with Buckaroo Banzai and for some reason the movie Screamers. Maybe it's just because Peter Weller rules the world.

Twister. Not because it gets no love or hated on, but because I'm pretty sure there are few who compulsively watch it whenever its on and have seen it as many times as me.

Blast From The Past is a great movie that even Alicia Silverstone couldn't ruin. Brendan Frasier runs house in that flick.

"Angel Heart - I think this is Mickey Rourke's finest performance."

DeNiro and the treatment of his character is the only thing that really holds this back me. Way too cheesy and obvious in both performance and writing, an even more obvious and stupid injoke from DeNiro(I wander who he could be doing an impersonation of?), and than there's the glowing eye nonsense. A more subtle approach would have been welcome. Other than that, a fine hidden gem. Rourke is awesome, supposively the scene where he's interogating the guy and violently stabbing at a block of ice scared the hell out of the actor and set workers for real.

As for me, I'll try to stray from little known but well praised movies or those with too large of a cult base:

Commando

Stone Cold(THE badass action movie.)

Crossroads

Ginger Snaps

Seed of Chucky

The Last Tempation of Christ(fuck the Passion)

Karate Kid II

Exorcist III(shit studio tampering aside, a true hidden gem)

A Nightmare on Elm Street III

Hills Have Eyes remake

Violent Cop

to name a few....

The Craft: The supernatural "Can't Hardly Wait" of teen movies (in terms of well known actors/actress' appearing). It involves Skeet Ulrich, Fairuza Balk in her breakout role, an early Neve Campbell, Rachel True, a young Christine Taylor, an early small role for Breckin Meyer, and Robin Tunney.

Powder: Just a cool premise that unfortunately isn't as fulfilled as it could have been. Sean Patrick Flanery is really great as Jeremy Reed and it also involves Mary Steenburgen, Lance Henriksen in a non-horror movie role, and Jeff Goldblum who rocks as he always does ( :P ).

Get Over It, starring Ben Foster and Kirsten Dusnt, is one of my favourite movies of all time, yet not many people have seen it. I love that movie.

I love this movie. Saw it in the theater and own it on DVD. Always makes me laugh.

"Put your hand DOWN, Little Steve!"

While I'm here...this is like a thread made for me. I've seen numerous movies here that I love, but I'm sure I've got some that may not get as much love as most.

From Justin To Kelly

The Garbage Pail Kids Movie

Grease 2

Jason X

Maniac Cop

Hulk

A Nightmare on Elm Street III

Why would people hate that film? Its awesome.

For me:

Mean Girls

Its a boy/girl thing

Butterfly effect

The friday the 13th series

She's all that

love actually

Con Air

Tin Cup

To name a few.

"Why would people hate that film? Its awesome."

The film's critics like to point out that it's when the franchise went from horror to over the top goofiness and one liners. Apparently, they never saw the first two films. I actually think its the best of the bunch.

Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man - Such a badass movie. Probably the most "guy movie" I've ever seen but Rourke and Johnson are awesome in it and it's all out fun.

The Immortals - Little known mid-90's action movie with Eric Roberts, Chris Rock, Tony Curtis, William Forsythe, Joe Pantoliano, Clarence Williams III and Tia Carrere. Weird cast but a pretty fun movie (even if parts of it make little to no sense).

Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves - This movie gets a lot of hate for various reasons (Costner's accent, the theme song) but it's a perfect summer blockbuster in my opinion and Rickman is all kinds of awesome.

Above The Law - Everyone hates Seagal but his early action movies were awesome. Simple as that.

Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man - Such a badass movie. Probably the most "guy movie" I've ever seen but Rourke and Johnson are awesome in it and it's all out fun.

The Immortals - Little known mid-90's action movie with Eric Roberts, Chris Rock, Tony Curtis, William Forsythe, Joe Pantoliano, Clarence Williams III and Tia Carrere. Weird cast but a pretty fun movie (even if parts of it make little to no sense).

Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves - This movie gets a lot of hate for various reasons (Costner's accent, the theme song) but it's a perfect summer blockbuster in my opinion and Rickman is all kinds of awesome.Above The Law - Everyone hates Seagal but his early action movies were awesome. Simple as that.

Agreed on all fronts

Fled

Metro

Robin Hood: Men in Tights

the day this was finally released as a stand alone dvd was a great one.."Tight Tights"

Get Over It, starring Ben Foster and Kirsten Dusnt, is one of my favourite movies of all time, yet not many people have seen it. I love that movie.

I love this movie. Saw it in the theater and own it on DVD. Always makes me laugh.

"Put your hand DOWN, Little Steve!"

Dr. Desmond Forest Oates: I'd like you to read this poster and tell me what it says at the bottom.

Kelly: "No food or drink allowed in the auditorium at any time."

Dr. Desmond Forest Oates: It says "Twelve original songs by Dr. Desmond Forest Oates."

Kelly: Oh, that part.

Dr. Desmond Forest Oates: Yes, that part. I'll tell you what it doesn't say. It doesn't say "Additional lyrics by little miss sassy pants."

If RH:MIT is considered a movie people don't like, then I'll agree with liking that one.

I think Ghostbusters II is ok.

I think Short Circuit 2 is awesome. I don't mean "OMG 80s nostalgia! This is clearly Toronto but they're calling it New York! Look at the CIBC and Mr. Sub!" good (although that's part of it), I really think it's a funny movie. I think the first one is a bit dull and Michael McKean > Steve Guttenberg.

I've seen the second Mortal Kombat film and the Street Fighter movie several times. I don't really like them, but I do watch them on TV (and own them on VHS) without the need to yell "quick, change the channel!".

Pootie Tang

Kung Pow:Enter the Fist

Return of the Living Dead 3

Event Horizon

Texas Chainsaw Massacre II

Dirty Work

Joe's Apartment

Beyond Re-Animator

Commando

Stone Cold(THE badass action movie.)

Ginger Snaps

The Last Tempation of Christ(fuck the Passion)

Exorcist III(shit studio tampering aside, a true hidden gem)

Agree's with all of these.

I'm with bob_barron on that one. Norm McDonald's asshole films are awesome. Only thing better than Dirty Work is Screwed. Norm + Dave Chappelle is brilliance. Anyways, here's a couple I like that nobody else seems to when I mention them.

Seed People

People Under the Stairs

Waterworld

The Postman

Grandma's Boy

Hey now, who doesn't love Dirty Work?

It's my favourite film of all time

The "Dead Hooker" scene is the best dead hooker joke in the history of cinema.

Anyways, some others

Street Trash (Six words: Hot Potato with a severed penis)

Body Melt (Has a jumbled plot, but still a blast. Also the only movie I can think of were a guy dies because of his own mucus)

Dagon

From Beyond

Blood Diner (OOP 80's horror comedy. Must be seen to be believed.)

Night of the Comet

Shivers

Cabin Boy ("You wanna buy a monkey?")

I Drink Your Blood (70's exploitation horror with a cult of satanic hippies. Incompetent, but a total blast.)

Martin (Little seen George Romero movie. Also one of his best)

My Little Eye

The Roost (fun 70's and 80's horror tribute)

Abominable (see The Roost)

Junk (Japanese zombie movie that feels almost like the best Italian zombie movie never made.)

Cabin Fever (I'm probably the only man on Earth who loves this movie.)

Carnosaur (90's DTV movie that manages to rip off Jurrasic Park and Alien. Features some of the worst special effects in history, hippies getiing shredded, and Clint Howard telling gross stories to people in a diner.)

Super Mario Bros. (I don't care what anybody says: Dennis Hopper as Koopa=awesome.)

I didn't know there were people that didn't like dirty work.

I need to add Bedazzled too. Brendan Fraizer as multiple characters had me laughing pretty freaking hard.

Armegeddon - apparently people hate this movie.

Waterworld: People just hated on it because of the budget. It was a big hit, and one hell of a fun action movie.

Robin Hood - Prince of Thieves- one of the first movies I bought on DVD.

and The Postman - Yeah, I am fully aware of the sheer dumbness of that movie, but fuck that son. I still like it.

So yeah...I think Kevin Costner gets a bad rap sometimes.

Grandma's Boy

Damn I agree. People will dismiss this as the usual Sandler crew fodder but it's GREAT, funny old fashioned stoner humor. The harder edge is very reminiscent of Sandler's albums from the early-mid 90s.

I'm with bob_barron on that one. Norm McDonald's asshole films are awesome. Only thing better than Dirty Work is Screwed. Norm + Dave Chappelle is brilliance. Anyways, here's a couple I like that nobody else seems to when I mention them.

Seed People

People Under the Stairs

Waterworld

The Postman

Grandma's Boy

Screwed is funny, but nowhere near Dirty Work.

Norm hates Screwed and has said that him and Chappelle are horrible in it.

Twister. Not because it gets no love or hated on, but because I'm pretty sure there are few who compulsively watch it whenever its on and have seen it as many times as me.

I'd say that I at least like half of the movies mentioned in here so far (minus Malibu's), but I LOVE this movie for some reason. The wife has threatened to divorce me if I make her sit through it one more time. They were showing it on TNT HD and I think I sat through it 2 or 3 times.

I have no idea why I like it so much, I just do.

Yeah, put me down for The Postman, and to a lesser extent Waterworld. Postman was great with Will Patton chewing scenery like it was his last role. Costner sorta slept threw it, but the rest was inspired. With Waterworld, insert Dennis Hopper over Will Patton.

No fucking way Commando gets mentioned. That's the quintessential Schwarzenegger movie. Anyone who doesn't like that movie deserves a pole through the chest.

Fire Down Below is super great. Marg Helgenberger, Kris Kristofferson, and Steven Segal not allowing anyone to get the better of him ever.

If Robin Hood Men In Tights is allowed, then Hot Shots Part Deux must get love. "I had to come. It was a sequel."

Oh, and Josey and the Pussycats is a fucking tremendous movie.

Oh, and Loaded Weapon I.

Oh, and MAVERICK. I don't care if Mel is nuts, he's still the most charming motherfucker.

Seed People

People Under the Stairs

Waterworld

The Postman

Grandma's Boy

Screwed is funny, but nowhere near Dirty Work.

Norm hates Screwed and has said that him and Chappelle are horrible in it.

I demand a tie together project with Norm, Dave, Arty Lang, and Danny DeVito called Dirty Screw.

"Angel Heart - I think this is Mickey Rourke's finest performance."

DeNiro and the treatment of his character is the only thing that really holds this back me. Way too cheesy and obvious in both performance and writing, an even more obvious and stupid injoke from DeNiro(I wander who he could be doing an impersonation of?), and than there's the glowing eye nonsense. A more subtle approach would have been welcome. Other than that, a fine hidden gem. Rourke is awesome, supposively the scene where he's interogating the guy and violently stabbing at a block of ice scared the hell out of the actor and set workers for real.

I liked DeNiro in it, but yeah the eye glowing stuff was pretty dumb and took away from a powerful scene. The baby's glowing eyes were cheesier that DeNiro.