TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hunter's Torn Quad

WWE General Discussion for June 2007

Fortunately foul play is not suspected so it appears that it was some sort of accident.

Published Tuesday, June 19, 2007

'Sensational Sherri’ lived loudly but died quietly

By Stephanie Taylor

Staff Writer

McCALLA | Sherri Schrull died quietly at her mother’s house on Friday afternoon. But “Sensational Sherri," as professional wrestling fans knew her, lived loudly.

Considered one of the first ladies of wrestling, Sherri Martel, 49, was a WWE Hall of Famer, and an AWA and WWF championship titleholder.

Her husband found her dead at her mother’s home in the McCalla community on the Tuscaloosa-Jefferson County line Friday afternoon, said Capt. Loyd Baker, commander of the Tuscaloosa County Metro Homicide Unit.

Baker said foul play is not suspected, but that Schrull did not die of natural causes.

“The cause of death is pending her autopsy and toxicology report," he said Monday.

She had gone to bed because she wasn’t feeling well, Baker said, and her husband later found her unresponsive at 12:45 p.m. at the home on Eastern Valley Road, where she had been living for the past year.

Martel wrestled in the 1980s but became more high profile when she “managed" wrestling superstars like Shawn Michaels, Ric Flair, and “Macho Man" Randy Savage. She was notorious for antagonizing good guys in professional wrestling.

Professional wrestling managers hardly perform typical managerial duties. They function as sidekicks, usually for villains, whose antics turn the audience against the wrestler.

“She was very good at knowing what to do ringside to get people agitated and interested," said Bruce Mitchell, a columnist for the Pro Wrestling Torch newsletter and Web site. “You knew you would get a show when you watched Sensational Sherri."

Martel wore elaborate costumes that fit her persona; she would paint her face with dramatic make-up. When she managed, she was known to run around ringside swinging at wrestlers with a brick-filled purse or a shoe.

“She’d dress up like a wicked witch in a bridal costume, for example," Mitchell said. “She was way over the top."

Martel, however, was unlike the busty, bikini-clad female wrestlers on television today, he said.

“She would fall into a table, get thrown around the ring and never complain. She loved it."

“Everyone respected her. She was an attractive lady, but she wasn’t just eye-candy," he said. “She was really a pioneer and a trailblazer."

Interviews with Martel published online indicate that she was born Sherri Russell in New Orleans. She said in one interview that she grew up watching wrestling matches with her mother and began training at 20. She trained under the famous “The Fabulous Moolah," reputedly the first female wrestling champion.

She broke into the business by wrestling at small promotional events in Memphis and working her way up.

She was inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame in 2006.

“She paved the road for a lot of others to follow," WWE chairman Vince McMahon said at the event.

Wrestling fans have posted tribute videos and messages to Martel on Internet sites like YouTube.

Mitchell said that Martel, despite her status in the community, was just a wrestling fan herself. He said he saw her at conventions and events in recent years.

“She was just like a fan, having a good time and hanging out," he said.

So I just came across something.......

- Creating a match on RAW for HHH to purposely take liberties with Jim Ross (Ross now has damaged vision as a result)

Did this really happen and if so uh what was the reason they wanted HHH to beat down JR?

Konnan and Ron Killings quit TNA last night, and are going to work for exclusively AAA in Mexico. Does the wwe have any interest? Konnan is pretty much a mouthpiece these days, but he made LAX at their peak with his rantings. I don't think he'd be available because he's pretty committed to AAA, I believe he's booking it for the most part.

Ron Killings has his heat with Cena, and tried to hype up their airport confrontation - does that help or hurt his chances to get back in the company? Assuming of course he wants back in.

Did TNA release them from their TNA contracts, allowing them to work anywhere but wwe? Or are they completely free-agents?

There are rumblings in WWE that Krystal may be the next diva to appear in Playboy.

Credit:F4W Newsletter

Praise the Lord! 23 years old, black, and delicious. That's a day 1 buy for me.

There are rumblings in WWE that Krystal may be the next diva to appear in Playboy.

Credit:F4W Newsletter

Praise the Lord! 23 years old, black, and delicious. That's a day 1 buy for me.

I'm about to delete you from my myspace with a comment like that. :D

I don't think that Killings or Konan should even think about coming to the WWE. I don't like either.

http://slam.canoe.ca/SlamWrestlingBiosW/wi...8may01-can.html

Now, it's time to look back at Show's past. Most reading this realize he got his start in World Championship Wrestling, as he debuted nearly a year before the highly touted turning point in the Monday night wars -- the creation of the New World Order. In the beginning, times were fun, according to the Show, but also not without their pitfalls, as he relates in a humorous story about performing a moonsault.

"It was pretty goofy. The only problem was that I don't think anybody wanted to lay underneath of me when I landed. We were screwing around with it, and one of the upper-echelon in WCW at the time pretty much reamed my ass out for doing that. I was a rookie at the time, and didn't really know how to stand up for myself. Basically, they told me I had no business being on the top rope at all; I was a ground attacker, and I was a tank, so stay off the tope rope. Dallas (Page) and Terry Taylor (put him up to it), and it was one of those collective 'you've got so much athleticism show it.' So I did, and I got my ass chewed out right after it. I haven't actually hit somebody with it, but it was a glorified miss."

Jesus. I always thought it was just an urban myth.

It sounds like Sal Corrente actually went ahead and filed charges against Jerry Lawler for hitting him at the Memphis wrestling show this past weekend. Apparently Lawler thought Sal hit a fan, so Lawler responded by hitting Sal as payback. Sal totally denies that he hit a fan in the first place.

More news on the WWE's referee policy. It seems that any referees who violate the new policy of officiating matches as though they were real get fined. Fines have already been given in a couple of instances for not doing consistent counts and for allowing a heel tag team to get away with too much.

Also Chris Jericho may not be coming back as he's now putting out public statements that he's embarrassed to be associated with the WWE because he finds the McMahon angle to be offensive saying it's a slap in the face to guys like Owen and Eddie.

If I was a WWE stockholder, I would be much more concerned with stuff like their questionable reporting of live gates and attendances, and the poor quality of their creative staff than whether or not Vince Mcmahon is dead.

If I was a WWE stockholder, I would be much more concerned with stuff like their questionable reporting of live gates and attendances, and the poor quality of their creative staff than whether or not Vince Mcmahon is dead.

One would think that WWE stockholders would want to know whether or not the guy who runs the sodding company was dead.

I wonder how many of the stockholders actually watch the product. They just care if it's making money. They waived any right to complain about morality when they brought the stock.

I'm also getting sick of wrestlers crying about having to do these angles. They are hired actors. They agreed to be actors when they signed with WWE. Just do your job or leave.

06/20/2007 - ANNOUNCING DCW - DERBY CITY WRESTLING!

OVW is launching an all new division showcasing the students of OVW. DCW will launch its own website next Tuesday and TV Tapings will begin next Thursday at the Davis Arena. Be sure to check back soon as more information develops!

Derbycitywrestling.com

Any more information? What is DCW, another WWE dev. territory?

Ric Flair has been telling many people backstage that Wrestlemania 24 will be his official retirement match and the end of his in ring career as a performer. The move to Smackdown makes it easier to showcase a Flair retirement storyline when the time comes.

pwinsider audio

He and Edge work pretty well together, though the chances of Edge holding the title at that time is slim. I wouldn't be surprised if they give him one last shot at the title and pull a whole "Rocky Balboa" storyline. If it was against Batista, they could steal the Hart(?) vs Deisel finish where Deisel has Bret set up for the Jacknife, but pauses out of sympathy, and in that split second pause, Hart rolls him up for the win.

Flair isn't a rub anymore, so it's not impressive beating Flair in his "retirement" match. The best idea is simply to let Flair have a fun match where he can hit his spots, pop the crowd and cheats to win. Just put him against someone who won't get hurt with a lost. While Flair is from the school of thought to put someone over on his way out, I expect HHH and others to want him to walk out a winner. Just don't waste a top player on this match. If SD has something better for a main event (and it should with Edge/Taker or Edge/Kennedy)...Batista would be just fine against his "mentor". I'm not all that concerned, I don't believe it for a second.

I'm 99% sure they'll find some way to make his last match against H.

If Flair wasn't intending to leave at WM, I'm sure HHH would push for being the last match but I would assume HHH plans to main event WM.

Good news for HBK fans, as Jim Ross just confirmed there will be a big HBK dvd for 2008. I'm hoping for a big 3 dvd set, not the barebones one he got previously.

Here's what JR said:

Ryan- Considering I just did a long DVD interview for the upcoming HBK DVD I vividly remember the interview I conducted with Shawn where Shawn kept jumping up and down giving me the crotch chop and generally being annoying. His job was to P.O. people and he was good at it. I was not “mad” at him for doing it but it was somewhat distracting I have to admit. Great antagonists have a way of getting under people’s skin and HBK was a great antagonist back in the day. Shawn’s DVD should be awesome as his journey in the biz has been extraordinary and I am proud to say I saw him in his first territory in person. I still remember that day in Shreveport at the Irish McNeil Boys Club at a taping of Mid South Wrestling.

I'll be in Austin, TX this Sunday. For whatever reason, I can't find any fucking place that will be showing the PPV. If anyone knows of a place in Austin that'll be showing the PPV, hook a brotha up?

Also, if you live in Austin and are ordering the PPV... um, mind inviting a fellow poster*?

*: Will bring food/alcohol if needed.