TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Your Paragon of Virtue

Bad Covers

Also, Avril Lavigne covering "Fuel" by Metallica

Actually, I didn't find that cover as bad as I thought it was going to be. I guess I set my self up for a horrible cover, and all I heard was a mediocre to bad cover.

Her "cover" of Chop Suey by SOAD I accidentally downloaded years ago, however, was fucking horrible.

Avril's band played the song fairly well, but the big problem with that cover was the fact that Avril's vocals were completely monotonous and devoid of emotion.

Actually, I didn't find that cover as bad as I thought it was going to be. I guess I set my self up for a horrible cover, and all I heard was a mediocre to bad cover.

Her "cover" of Chop Suey by SOAD I accidentally downloaded years ago, however, was fucking horrible.

Avril's band played the song fairly well, but the big problem with that cover was the fact that Avril's vocals were completely monotonous and devoid of emotion.

Exactly. Thats why I consider it a bad cover, and not a horrid POS.

The Limp Bizkit cover of Welcome Home: Sanitarium and to an extent, Korn's take on One were worthy of a "Horrible POS" tag

"In the same vein, I remember hearing A Perfect Circle's bleak, dreary cover of "Imagine" on the radio years ago and wanting to punch something. I can't actually think of a single cover of a solo-era John Lennon song that hasn't annoyed the crap out of me, come to think of it."

That version was just trying too damn hard and ended up being over the top to the point of self parody as I recall. The original "Imagine" is actually pretty dark(though not exactly bleak) but for some reason people always seem to miss that and go for the sap when covering it so I think Perfect Circle had the right idea; they just laid it on way too thick.

As far as "Jealous Guy" goes, I don't even like the Lennon version that much; it never struck me as one of his more sincere efforts. Though outside of a few gems, I don't much care for anything past the Plastic Ono solo debut.

Story of the Year covered Enter Sandman at a concert I went to and it was awful

I don't know what in the hell would possess them to even try that when they can barely get through their own damn songs live without sounding awful.

I'm still going with Joss Stone's "Under Pressure" since her own little spin on it was horrendous. Gavin DeGraw's "We are the Champions" is just as bad since he turned it into a lounge singer meets a Gavin DeGraw song.

Six Feet Under can't do a bad song. A z-grade death metal band covering an entire AC/DC album is fucking awesome.

Bad covers:

Metallica - "Tuesday's Gone"

Sting - "Ain't No Sunshine"

Boy George - "Boys Don't Cry"

Those are all fucking atrocious.

Really, really good covers:

Uncle Tupelo - "I Wanna Be Your Dog"

Tori Amos - "'97 Bonnie and Clyde"

Tori Amos - "Raining Blood"

My own band's death metal version of "Steal My Sunshine"

Also, Diamanda Galas does my favorite version of "I Put A Spell On You", which is a very heavily covered song, and I am also a die hard Marilyn Manson fan... but still.

Six Feet Under can't do a bad song. A z-grade death metal band covering an entire AC/DC album is fucking awesome.

Bad covers:

Metallica - "Tuesday's Gone"

Sting - "Ain't No Sunshine"

Boy George - "Boys Don't Cry"

Those are all fucking atrocious.

Really, really good covers:

Uncle Tupelo - "I Wanna Be Your Dog"

Tori Amos - "'97 Bonnie and Clyde"

Tori Amos - "Raining Blood"

My own band's death metal version of "Steal My Sunshine"

Also, Diamanda Galas does my favorite version of "I Put A Spell On You", which is a very heavily covered song, and I am also a die hard Marilyn Manson fan... but still.

Guest Bammey

The guitar player was playing it too slow. The cover was horrendous and I hope made her look like a fool.

The Smashing Pumpkins tribute CD should be brutal with bands like Panic at the Disco, and Hawthorne Heights doing covers.

The Smashing Pumpkins tribute CD should be brutal with bands like Panic at the Disco, and Hawthorne Heights doing covers.

Ben Kweller's cover of Today is pretty cool.

Our Lady Peace, "The Needle and the Damage Done" comes to mind, as does 95% of that wretched CanCon Neil Young tribute album.

Even though I only heard this cover once, and it was at least 6 years ago, I'm still very bitter about the Vines shitting on Ms. Jackson by Outkast. A punk group covering rap is stupid as is, but this made me want to seek out the band and kick the lead singer in the balls.

good cover: the atari's boys of summer cover

bad cover: celine dion doing acdc's you shook me all night long

meh, covers aren't always that bad honestly, i mean look at hendrix with all along the watchtower :)