TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Oldschool

OAO Vengeance PPV Thread

I know there are plenty of Punk fans around here but there are reports that the WWE is much higher on Burke, Cor Von and Nitro than they are Punk........don't be surprised if Nitro has it for more than a few days.

Wouldn't the investigation be narrowed, and not widened if they found a DNA sample of 'a well known personality'?

Maybe they don't know which well-known personality.

Then how do they know its a well known personality?

I know there are plenty of Punk fans around here but there are reports that the WWE is much higher on Burke, Cor Von and Nitro than they are Punk........don't be surprised if Nitro has it for more than a few days.

Source?

Wow, guess people really weren't interested in this show, just judging by the size of this thread. Meltzer's notes make it sound like it's been pretty awful so far.

man, I'm glad I didn't order the show for Punk/Benoit. Or rather, I'm glad I didn't order the show, since the only reason I had to order was Punk/Benoit.

That main event was hideously horrible. I thought the entire point of multi-man matches was to show more than two people fighting at once...but that didn't happen at all (outside of a few tiny glimpses). Sure, a few guys hit moves on other guys as transitions or what-have-you, but there was, far as I could, hardly a single time where...say...Orton and Cena were fighting on one side of the ring and Booker and Lashley were fighting on the other...maybe with Foley on the outside doing some recovery or whatever.

Yikes, only 2 pages, and wasn't this the prediction game thread? Ouch. I've now jumped on the '2 PPV shows a month is too much' bandwagon. Especially since this show had no hype except 'every title will be on the line...and retained' I can only hope Benoit...or Viscera beats Nitro on Tuesday.

Which World Championship match at Vengeance was your favorite?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ECW World Title 32.46 %

World Heavyweight Championship 15.70 %

WWE Championship 51.82 %

WWE.com

Fools.

My disgust for cena holding on to the title against "all odds" over and over and over and over again, is right up there with my disgust for hogan during his wwf and wcw/nwo days. Jesus f'n christ I'm so sick of him.

Add Johnny Nitro to the long list of mistakes for 2007.

Seriously, is Punk disliked that much backstage?

I don't think that was the case at all. I just think they didn't want to blow the Punk title win so soon. Although I argue it should have just been a DQ finish or non-finish instead if they wanted to wait and put the belt on Benoit. Logically, Burke and Cor Von lost the right to challenge but Nitro won on Tuesday...giving him claim to contend for the title.

Add Johnny Nitro to the long list of mistakes for 2007.

Seriously, is Punk disliked that much backstage?

I don't think that was the case at all. I just think they didn't want to blow the Punk title win so soon. Although I argue it should have just been a DQ finish or non-finish instead if they wanted to wait and put the belt on Benoit. Logically, Burke and Cor Von lost the right to challenge but Nitro won on Tuesday...giving him claim to contend for the title.

I think it would have made a lot more sense if nitro won with some underhanded tactics or by some fluke. By losing clean to nitro, who has been dropped to nothing more than glorified jobber lately, punk just lost a ton of heat for any program with benoit imo.

So did everyone hold on to their promise of not ordering the show because the Vince thing disgusted them? Anyway...

Yep, exactly what I said (and most people too) would happen happened - WWE booked a 9 match show to end at 10:40. However, I thought the theme was fairly awesome with the clips and Rick Martel and such. If Martel had put Domino in a Boston Crab, I would have marked out like a madman.

Super Face Umaga (which Meltzer assumes was the goal) was so awesome.

Surprise of the night was that the CW title match was given time (compared to how I assumed a CW match would be treated on a 9 match show), was pretty good, AND the crowd was into it and didn't just ignore everyone and chant boring.

Lastly, I never thought I'd join this whole "We hate Mick Foley!" movement that seems to be sprouting up over the internet (the guy had a bad match with no build up against Carlito in 2005 and likes to plug his books, so f'n what? He had a great 2006), but I'm fairly confident Mick should never wrestle again on those knees. Watching him do the "running knee into the corner" spot while limping towards Randy was pretty sad, then he couldn't seem to get himself positioned well for the FU. Props to Lashley though, he really entertained my casual fan friend. The 5 Knuckle Shuffle / RKO spot was also pretty great. Too bad that match was only 10 minutes.

I really enjoyed MVP/Flair. It told a great story, of MVP being the young cocky punk, and Flair being the legend who wants to shut him up. MVP really excelled in his role, and is really showing his potential. MVP trash talk to both Flair and Magnum T.A. was great.

Nitro winning the ECW Title really baffles me, I mean I enjoy Nitro but it's way too soon for him to win the ECW Title.

I really enjoyed the WWE Challenge Match, Lashley was really impressive when he was in the match, he showed great intensity in the match, and his plancha was nice.

The Houston crowd cheering for Umaga destroying Santino was great.

Houston seemed like a very Smarkish crowd as well, booing Cena.

i'll check the show out tommorow on Daily Motion, glad to hear that the CW title match got time, maybe WWE will slowly get behind it and make a Jr Heavyweight division matter since it seems TNA treats the X-Division like a low card comedy act, Nitro winning the title is out of left field no question i am not gonna trash him winning the title until i see what WWE does with Nitro and the belt

Face Umaga and ECW champ Johnny Nitro were easily the best things on this show. Don't worry Punk fans... Benoit will beat Nitro's ass by the GAB and we'll get the Punk/Benoit feud we've all been waiting for. But for a one-night deal with Nitro winning out of nowhere after being undeservedly depushed for his partner's drug problems or people's issues with his gf, this was a pretty neat moment.

Keep in mind by "got time", I mean it didn't end 3 minutes after the entrances. I don't time matches so for all I know it was only 5 minutes. (Edit: 9 minutes, so it was only one minute less than the WWE title match).

Johnny Nitro manages to baffle me for the second Vengeance in a row. It's this weird thing where he's a talented worker and SHOULD be pushed, but WWE is always burying him for one reason or another. Last year at Vengeance, I told my friend I was watching it with that Shelton would retain the IC title or Carlito would win it since Nitro was allegedly in the dog house for something Melina did (I don't remember details, was this a Batista thing?). Sure enough Nitro won the title.

A year later, Nitro is once again being buried for no good reason while managing to be talented, then Vengeance comes and he's now holding one of WWE's 3 world titles. Ok then.

Okay I actually DID get this PPV tonight and the major catalyst for doing so was the Punk/Benoit match. Had I found out in time that it wasn't happening I really don't know if I would have messed with it.

Just as I thought Vince winning the ECW title was the nadir they could hit, they put a "world" title on....Johnny Fucking Nitro??? How exactly is Nitro any sort of credible or viable champion? I felt so sorry for CM Punk tonight, I really did. Not only did he not get to do the fanboy dream match with Benoit, he had to hear the obvious chants of "We want Benoit" as he jobbed totally clean to a guy who was tagging with Kenny on Heat 2 weeks ago. A guy he beat with zero fanfare for a MITB spot.

Seriously, with this ECW do they sit down and think of ways to try to suck? And to compound the fiasco of this tonight I bet they actually seriously attempt to push Nitro with the belt and have him go over Punk in a rematch and then maybe over Benoit as well. I could tell that Nitro was winning due to body language alone, since Punk really seemed like he didn't want to be there and Nitro was smiling ear to ear, knowing he was getting a belt that he in no way deserved. This ECW brand is just hexed. Even when they attempt something decent it ends up flopping in historic fashion.

It may well have been the worst PPV of 2007 thus far, not just due to that match (which honestly as a match wasn't terrible or anything). The entire show was like watching a Bill Watts era WCW PPV with all these clean heel victories, except the actual work wasn't nearly as good as those shows. The ending of Edge/Batista was hilarious, but really a copout as well.

Oh, and will they please stop booking these 4 and 5 way matches with Cena? It's not feasible for a guy to keep retaining in these things, since at some point someone would pin someone else. The ultra long term champion is something that doesn't work that well in the era of Raw and monthly PPVs. Long term champs like Hogan and Backlund weren't constantly all over TV and PPVs going over all the challengers.

So, Antileaf33, luke-o, and King Cucaracha were the only ones who got all the matches right (besides Nitro, obviously he doesn't count).

So, the WWE's ppv buyrates are down. They had shitty shows for the last two ppvs. We had a TNA ppv last week, and the ROH ppv next week. So... they load the card with a bunch of really short matches and absolutely moronic finishes?! I hope they lose money on this one. They deserve it.