TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DrVenkman PhD

WWE General Discussion for August 2007

I think the problem with the Condemmed was that Stone Cold was in it. Say what you want but Austin is almost too recognizable as a wrestler and it may have turned some people off. Kind of the same way as you see a movie with Hulk Hogan and pass it off pretty quickly as a gimmick. I don't think Triple H being in Thor would make that much of an impact to box office gross/reception unless they really start to get on his wrestling background, which may turn some people off of the film.

Just a thought....

If "WWE Films" is on the poster or in the trailers then it will bomb.

You're absolutely right, except two out of three WWE Films have made a profit.

Actually they haven't, at least not yet. According to The financial info in the latest Observer, See No Evil and The Marine as of right now have just about broken even, WWE has yet to receive any profit from the films.

Porter pretty much hit the nail on why the nameplate thing is considered a cost cutting issue: If no one notices or cares that they are there, why pay for them to be made and engraved? It won't save them a lot of money, but some is better than one.

That said, it is a bit silly.

Here's the cover for the Bret Hart book that's suppose to be over 400 pages coming out in October.

51jWsW0lPtL._SS500_.jpg

Wonder if he'll show up on WWE TV around that time to promote the book. Nice to see McMahon still living up to what he said a few years ago about letting Bret use photos for a book if he was ever to write one.

Edit: It's actually 576 pages. Damn, this is gonna be a good read.

That's another one on my list. I've only read a few books, Mick Foley's first book (which was a good read), The Rocks book (which had it's moments), and Regal's book (which was GREAT). I would also like to read Jericho's once it comes out.

Rock's book was awful.

It wasn't bad when he wasn't writing in first person. Not saying it was great, but passable. I have no interest in in Flair's, Michael's or Batista's books what-so-ever.

Flair's book is really good. There's a lot of stuff I never knew in it.

Not a fan, never have been, don't care about him or his shtick.

It's not just about his "schtick", he tells a shitload of great stories about all kinds of different people.

According to The financial info in the latest Observer, See No Evil and The Marine as of right now have just about broken even, WWE has yet to receive any profit from the films.

They haven't received the money yet because Hollywood is infamously slow in passing along the income. Something to do with their accounting processes being so complex in order to squirm out of paying every possible cent in taxes. But believe me, the films did make money.

Per imdb.com:

See No Evil

Budget: $8,000,000

Gross: $15,019,200 (USA)

The Marine

Budget: $15,000,000

Gross: $18,843,314 (USA)

And that's just how much money it made in theaters in America. It doesn't include foreign grosses or DVD sales.

Foley's books are very good, but each one is worse than the former. The Rock's was crap. As is HBK's, as he spends exactly the same amount of time on everything regardless of it's importance. Some house show program he worked with Goldust in 96, Summerslam 96, and Mind Games all got the same amount of lines, which was about 3.

I'll be getting Jericho's though.

It's not just about his "schtick", he tells a shitload of great stories about all kinds of different people.

I'm just saying that I don't like him, have never been a fan and have no interest in reading about him or any stories he has to tell.

According to The financial info in the latest Observer, See No Evil and The Marine as of right now have just about broken even, WWE has yet to receive any profit from the films.

They haven't received the money yet because Hollywood is infamously slow in passing along the income. Something to do with their accounting processes being so complex in order to squirm out of paying every possible cent in taxes. But believe me, the films did make money.

Per imdb.com:

See No Evil

Budget: $8,000,000

Gross: $15,019,200 (USA)

The Marine

Budget: $15,000,000

Gross: $18,843,314 (USA)

And that's just how much money it made in theaters in America. It doesn't include foreign grosses or DVD sales.

The Marine did horrible worldwide, bringing in less than 3 million. The Condemned bombed worldwide, not even bringing in 300,000 dollars and ended with a sum total of 7.6 million overall.

In fact, all three movies did HORRIBLE worldwide. The Marine actually did the best worldwide so that's not saying a lot. No idea on how the three films did on DVD but I cannot see a lot of people buying the Condemned. The Marine? Maybe. See No Evil? Sure, it's horror.

I haven't heard anything about the budget for The Condemned so I don't know how much of a profit if any it made.

They didn't rake it in but they didn't do too poorly. Expect in the foreign market where they were disasters.

I'm just saying that I don't like him, have never been a fan and have no interest in reading about him or any stories he has to tell.

Yet, You're a Petey Williams fan, and you liked THE Rock's book.

Interesting.

Interesting.

I know that everyone has their own tastes and preferences, but how could anyone dislike Ric Flair? The guy was the best promo man and in-ring performer in the US for the better part of two decades.

That's where tastes and preferences come in. To you, Flair might be the best in-ring performer, to someone else, like me, he was repetitive and I actually agreed with Bret Hart's rant on Flair a few years ago when he was describing how Flair would wrestle in matches in 1992.

Is Bret's book actually coming out in Oct? I'm surprised, I didn't think it was even close to being done.

That's where tastes and preferences come in. To you, Flair might be the best in-ring performer, to someone else, like me, he was repetitive and I actually agreed with Bret Hart's rant on Flair a few years ago when he was describing how Flair would wrestle in matches in 1992.

Same here, I've just never been a fan of Flairs. I respect him for what he's done for the buisness and hats off to him that he's still at it, and yes, he can cut one hell of a promo. I've just never been a fan of his in ring work.

I always liked Flair. With his energy, he made you think you were watching a really great match. Even if you weren't.

But I'll be damned if I didn't feel he was holding Arn Anderson back from great things (a clean win over Flair aside, if only because it was about 6-7 years too late).

I appreciate what Flair was done for the business, but I lost a lot of respect for him when his book came out. Too negative as he talks shit about Savage, Hart, Foley, etc. Just really unneccessary to do.

I'll still surprised for the movies that Cena was a better draw than Austin. Talk about a Twilight Zone moment.

agreed...Flair's wrestled the same match for decades now.

Interesting.

I never said I liked it, I said it was passable. When he wasn't talking in first person there was some interesting information. It also helped that I got the book for free. My grandma went to a taping of The View and he was on and everyone got a copy of the book and she gave it to me. Things are always better when you don't have to pay for them.

And as everyone else said, Flair has done the same match for the past 40 years. It gets boring and stale. I have never once popped for the guy or anything he's done. I'm a fan of the old school wrestling too. I loved getting up at 6 am back in the day to watch wrestling from the 50' and 60's on ESPN Classic. It was great to see some of those old shows, so Flair being old school has nothing to do with me disliking him. When you watch the same match from a person over and over it gets boring.

I've always been a big Flair fan, but he's been in a rut for at least the past 15 years. Basically since his first run in the WWE, really. He is quite possibly one of the greatest promo guys in the history of the sport. Even with the repetitive format of most of his matches, Flair still pops a crowd better than 95% of the current WWE roster. I know that doesn't say much, but there you go. Sadly, Flair today is a fleeting shadow of his former greatness, and as a longtime fan I cringe whenever I see him in a match now. He does not need to be wrestling anymore. Managing? Sure...he'd make a great heel manager for a cocky young protege who had yet to develop good mic skils. And there's no one better to learn promos from than Flair. But he should not be in the ring as an active roster member.

If anyone read Hardcore Diaries, what was the huge contravesy about?

I don't know really, it didn't seem that there was that much in it. He made a couple of criticisms on McMahon, but they weren't full on insults, and he always seemed to balance them with compliments. And he had a couple of sly digs at HHH, but he never mentioned his name when he did them.

Anyone who calls themself a wrestling fan yet proclaims to have no interest in reading Ric Flair's book is questionable enough.

But anyone who not only has no interest in reading Flair's book but actually enjoyed The Rock's piece of shit book needs emergency brain surgery.