TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MarvinisaLunatic

The Writer's Strike

One of the girls that will be on Crowned went to high school with me. Several of my friends nailed her. Her mom is pretty smoking and she was popular with the older gents around town.

For some reason I'm really looking forward to Clash of The Choirs. That sounds like it could have a nice trainwreck quality to it though I think Clash of the Celebrity Glee Clubs would be a better title

Guest Pizza Hut's Game Face

Or you could not watch bad television and occupy your time otherwise.

LIKE WHAT

Oh, gee, there's not like a thousand DVDs out there to view. Nope, always gotta rely on the newest and shiniest. :lol:

What's wrong with American Gladiators? That show rocked.

ATLASPHERE!

YES!

HANG TOUGH!

MORE YES!

POWERBALL!

SUPER YES!

If there is no Pyramid, and the Eliminator better have the "pick your door" option at the end. I loved watching someone with a commanding lead pick the wrong door and a pissed off Gladiator just owns on him and the other person wins.

More on this....I'm not sure about the union supporting other union ideas. From what I heard some of the other unions are considering suing the WGA.

<a href="http://community.livejournal.com/ohnotheydidnt/" target="_blank">http://community.livejournal.com/ohnotheydidnt/</a>

NBC fires 102 workers from The Office

Excerpts from an e-mail from Dale Alexander, a key grip on NBC's "The Office":

"Our show was shut down and we were all laid off this week. I've been watching the news since the WGA strike was announced and I have yet to see any coverage dedicated to the effect that this strike will have on the below the line employees.

"I respect the WGA's position. They probably do deserve a larger percentage of profit participation, but a lengthy strike will affect more than just the writers and studios. On my show we had 14 writers. There were also 2 cameramen, 2 camera assistants, 4 hair stylists, 4 makeup artists, 7 wardrobe people, 4 grips, 4 electricians, 2 craft service, 4 props people, 6 construction, 1 medic, 3 art department, 5 set dressers, 3 sound men, 3 stand-ins, 2 set PAs, 4 assistant directors, 1 DGA trainee, 1 unit manager, 6 production office personnel, 3 casting people, 4 writers assistants, 1 script supervisor, 2 editors, 2 editors assistants, 3 post production personnel, 1 facilities manager, 8 drivers, 2 location managers, 3 accountants, 4 caterers and a producer who's not a writer. All 102 of us are now out of work.

"I have been in the motion picture business for 33 years and have survived three major strikes. None of which have been by any of the below the line unions. During the 1988 WGA strike many of my friends lost their homes, cars and even spouses. Many actors are publicly backing the writers, some have even said that they would find a way to help pay bills for the striking writers. When the networks run out of new shows and they air repeats the writers will be paid residuals. The lowest paid writer in television makes roughly twice the salary than the below the line crewmember makes. Everyone should be paid their fair share, but does it have to be at the expense of the other 90% of the crewmembers. Nobody ever recoups from a strike, lost wages are just that, lost.

"We all know that the strike will be resolved. Eventually both sides will return to the bargaining table and make a deal. The only uncertainty is how many of our houses, livelihoods, college educations and retirement funds will pay for it."

--Maria Elena Fernandez

I'm sorry, but Whaaa whaa whaaa.

You wouldn't have the job in the first place if not for the writers who want to be paid for their work.

The writers wouldn't have a show to work if it wasn't for the camera crew and the rest of the production people.

I don't like the way the WGA are bullying Ellen Degeneres. She'd be in serious legal trouble if she dropped her show (she's in a way different position than Leno or Lettermen) and wants to ensure 135 crew people keep their jobs. But, no, let's crucify her for feeling a loyalty to her crew other people lack. Arguably,Jay Leno owes the rest of his crew as much as he owes the writers.

LIKE WHAT

Oh, gee, there's not like a thousand DVDs out there to view. Nope, always gotta rely on the newest and shiniest. :lol:

Great series of posts.

More on this....I'm not sure about the union supporting other union ideas. From what I heard some of the other unions are considering suing the WGA.

<a href="http://community.livejournal.com/ohnotheydidnt/" target="_blank">http://community.livejournal.com/ohnotheydidnt/</a>

"Our show was shut down and we were all laid off this week. I've been watching the news since the WGA strike was announced and I have yet to see any coverage dedicated to the effect that this strike will have on the below the line employees.

"I respect the WGA's position. They probably do deserve a larger percentage of profit participation, but a lengthy strike will affect more than just the writers and studios. On my show we had 14 writers. There were also 2 cameramen, 2 camera assistants, 4 hair stylists, 4 makeup artists, 7 wardrobe people, 4 grips, 4 electricians, 2 craft service, 4 props people, 6 construction, 1 medic, 3 art department, 5 set dressers, 3 sound men, 3 stand-ins, 2 set PAs, 4 assistant directors, 1 DGA trainee, 1 unit manager, 6 production office personnel, 3 casting people, 4 writers assistants, 1 script supervisor, 2 editors, 2 editors assistants, 3 post production personnel, 1 facilities manager, 8 drivers, 2 location managers, 3 accountants, 4 caterers and a producer who's not a writer. All 102 of us are now out of work.

"I have been in the motion picture business for 33 years and have survived three major strikes. None of which have been by any of the below the line unions. During the 1988 WGA strike many of my friends lost their homes, cars and even spouses. Many actors are publicly backing the writers, some have even said that they would find a way to help pay bills for the striking writers. When the networks run out of new shows and they air repeats the writers will be paid residuals. The lowest paid writer in television makes roughly twice the salary than the below the line crewmember makes. Everyone should be paid their fair share, but does it have to be at the expense of the other 90% of the crewmembers. Nobody ever recoups from a strike, lost wages are just that, lost.

"We all know that the strike will be resolved. Eventually both sides will return to the bargaining table and make a deal. The only uncertainty is how many of our houses, livelihoods, college educations and retirement funds will pay for it."

--Maria Elena Fernandez

You wouldn't have the job in the first place if not for the writers who want to be paid for their work.

The writers wouldn't have a show to work if it wasn't for the camera crew and the rest of the production people.

I don't like the way the WGA are bullying Ellen Degeneres. She'd be in serious legal trouble if she dropped her show (she's in a way different position than Leno or Lettermen) and wants to ensure 135 crew people keep their jobs. But, no, let's crucify her for feeling a loyalty to her crew other people lack. Arguably,Jay Leno owes the rest of his crew as much as he owes the writers.

No, they would hire other production people. that is how the world works. people that can do things others cannot will be paid more and are more important than the interchangeable parts.

Not everyone could write the office and it be something people would want to watch. Alot more people could man a camera. If writers don't do their job well, then the show fails. If a cameraman doesn't do his job well, the scene looks funny or off center. But you know what? the show will go the fuck on and people wouldn't complain that much.

What's wrong with American Gladiators? That show rocked.

ATLASPHERE!

YES!

HANG TOUGH!

MORE YES!

POWERBALL!

SUPER YES!

If there is no Pyramid, and the Eliminator better have the "pick your door" option at the end. I loved watching someone with a commanding lead pick the wrong door and a pissed off Gladiator just owns on him and the other person wins.

I have a feeling Hogan is going to ruin the show. They should have dug up Adamle (who did XFL games for NBC) and Csonka, at least..

--Maria Elena Fernandez

No, they would hire other production people. that is how the world works. people that can do things others cannot will be paid more and are more important than the interchangeable parts.

Not everyone could write the office and it be something people would want to watch. Alot more people could man a camera. If writers don't do their job well, then the show fails. If a cameraman doesn't do his job well, the scene looks funny or off center. But you know what? the show will go the fuck on and people wouldn't complain that much.

I know certain production jobs come with a union, which would make bringing in non union people to do that job difficult or impossible. So, if you're unable to bring in a replacement you can't do the show.

Deadline Hollywood is reporting that David Letterman will pay the entire staff of "the Late Show" with his own money while the show is shut down during the writers strike. CBS stopped paying the staff when the show halted production last week. NBC is trying the same tactic to put pressure on the writers, and has threatened to lay off the entire staff of "the Tonight Show" unless the writers come back to work. Deadline says Letterman has committed to pay them at least through the end of the year.

"Dave's not doing this to get good press, which is why it hasn't been reported for almost two days," a source tells me. "This is really significant because, as opposed to all of the other shows, this money comes out of Dave's own pocket."

Pretty cool that he would do that.

SNL w/ Michael Cera will be "unplugged" at the Upright Citizens Brigade theater with proceeds to go to the Writers Strike Emergency Fund.

-Courtesy of Yahoo!

Ellen DeGeneres is getting bullied for more than just that though. Concerning her treatment towards her writers, Ellen supposedly has a bad reputation. From Page Six:

On SurgicalStrikes.com, one former, unidentified, writer for her 2001-02 sitcom, The Ellen Show, reports she treated her writers “like [bleep].”

“We’d watch her in rehearsals, smiling and winning us over with her charm and comic timing. Then the director would yell cut, her face would fall, and she’d level a glare at the writers. ‘Why do you keep writing these unfunny jokes?’ she’d hiss.

“Ellen frequently eviscerated the head writer and . . . boasted of the changes she’d make in season two, starting with his firing.” But, the blogger continues facetiously, the axed writer “was a hack anyway - all he did after leaving was create Arrested Development and win two Emmys for writing, another for Best Comedy.”

If she has this type of reputation in Hollywood, Ellen crossing the picket line could also send the signal to the writers that she doesn't need them as much as they think she does. In her case, I think the anger from the WGA is compounded by her attitude as well.

SNL w/ Michael Cera will be "unplugged" at the Upright Citizens Brigade theater with proceeds to go to the Writers Strike Emergency Fund.

-Courtesy of Yahoo!

30 Rock is doing the same thing two nights later. I hope some of it ends up on YouTube. I'd be tempted to go to NYC this weekend for either of them but tickets sold out in seconds.

Ellen DeGeneres is getting bullied for more than just that though. Concerning her treatment towards her writers, Ellen supposedly has a bad reputation. From Page Six:

On SurgicalStrikes.com, one former, unidentified, writer for her 2001-02 sitcom, The Ellen Show, reports she treated her writers “like [bleep].”

“We’d watch her in rehearsals, smiling and winning us over with her charm and comic timing. Then the director would yell cut, her face would fall, and she’d level a glare at the writers. ‘Why do you keep writing these unfunny jokes?’ she’d hiss.

“Ellen frequently eviscerated the head writer and . . . boasted of the changes she’d make in season two, starting with his firing.” But, the blogger continues facetiously, the axed writer “was a hack anyway - all he did after leaving was create Arrested Development and win two Emmys for writing, another for Best Comedy.”

If she has this type of reputation in Hollywood, Ellen crossing the picket line could also send the signal to the writers that she doesn't need them as much as they think she does. In her case, I think the anger from the WGA is compounded by her attitude as well.

Page six? That's reliable. Around the same time that story came out another writer who'd worked with her had the opposite opinion and said she was fine to work with. I'm pretty distrustful of bloggers, anyway.

I doubt Ellen is staying on the show solely for the cash. I doubt she needs it at this point , and can likely afford to stay at home for a few months. I think she probably is reluctant to put 135 people out of a job just before christmas, and is willing to ensure that even at the expense of being called derogatory names. Surely if she was as selfish as people say, she would have looked at all the criticism she was getting, and closed down the show for the sake of her image?

And seriously, this is one daytime talk show. What difference does it make to the WGA? It won't prolong the strike, it's too minor a show. But it makes a difference to those 135 people. And bear in mind the WGA aren't exactly bothered abut lost jobs or anything...a quote from David Young one of big names in WGA and the driving force behind the strike

'I just lay back and look at the havoc I've wreaked' Young quipped, only half joking

Yeah, dude. Pat yourself on the back for ruining lives. Maybe it is a neccessary evil but there's no need to gloat about it. I sympathise with the WGA cause but the bullish way they're acting is turning me against them.

I fail to see how the writers are at fault at ALL for workers being laid off. That makes no sense whatsoever.

The studios are the ones who refuse to pay the writers what their due for new media.

It's the studios that contract all those workers.

And it's the studios that are now threatening to, or are, cutting workers as a pressure policy to get writers to cave.

How the hell are the writers responsible for that? They are doing what they need to do for themselves. If anyone should be angry, they should be angry at the studios for being total douches and cutting workers who have no bearing on this at all. If I was a writer in that strike, I wouldn't give two fucks about the studios actions even if it means the firing of people you work with. You are not the one doing it. You are the one fighting for YOUR career. If other people think it's your fault for not letting the studios ram it to you, then let them. They are being stupid.

It's not the writers who are firing people who are innocent. It's the studios doing.

The main things the WGA have done wrong in my opinion

-striking now, rather than in June with the actors which was orginally talked about in a bid to cause more damage. If they'd have waited till June it would have given people more time to prepare (and save). A lot of shows would have filled their production order as well. But, and I suppose this was there intention, by picking the worst possible time they've also ensured pilot season is screwed up and their won't be any new work for anyone till 2009. Yeah, they're maybe maximising their chances of getting what they want, but it's at the expense of everyone else. And it's been mentioned before, but going on strike- in a move guaranteed to cost thousands of jobs- right before christmas is such a dick move.

-encouraging show runner's to ditch their shows even though there are enough scripts done for a few more weeks/months. That's still another few weeks pay for employees. On a related note I thought Steve Carell refusing to shoot the last remaining office episode was pretty crappy of him too.

-giving actors (Eva Longoria) a tough time for showing up to work on the shows that still have remaining scripts to shoot. They're not doing anything illegal or wrong, so why yell at them for fufilling their contractual obligations?

-bullying someone like Ellen for running her show, even though she is legally required to. Conveniently forgetting Johnny Carson and David Lettermen have done the exact same thing in the past. And, the thing is, from looking at a lot of the writers on strike and what they say regarding Ellen, they are actually quite understanding of the difficult position she is in. It's obviously they guy's at the top who are trying to make an example of her.

-encouraging writers to tell on any fellow union members they think are scabbing. Jeez, if your going to send them on strike, at least trust them.

The more I read about this strike, the more I'm glad I reopened my NetFlix subscription at the right time. I barely watch network TV as it is, but now the shows I DO watch are going to have their seasons cut in half *and* I have to deal with incessant reruns of Conan and Letterman.

Guest Pizza Hut's Game Face

These things are always for the better, though. Ask air traffic controllers and the Montreal Expos.

From Variety:

THEY'VE AGREED TO TALK!

Writers and studios have agreed to resume negotiations on Nov. 26.

The Friday night announcement came on the 12th day of the strike in the form of a joint statement from the Writers Guild of America and the Alliance of Motion Picture & Television Producers.

The two sides indicated that they have agreed to a news blackout.

"Leaders from the AMPTP and the WGA have mutually agreed to resume formal negotiations on November 26," the statement said. "No other details or press statements will be issued."

Talks collapsed on Nov. 4, principally over compensation for new media, triggering a blizzard of accusations and blame. The WGA went on strike the next day and no talks have been held since.

Backchannel efforts have been ongoing throughout the strike to restart the talks, spurred partly by the fact that the negotiations were progressing on the final day of bargaining. Agents and high-profile screenwriters and showrunners had been exerting pressure in recent days for a resumption of the talks.

The WGA leaders were angry over what they saw as a lack of substantive response by the AMPTP after the guild took its DVD residuals increase off the table. The companies contended that they had made significant moves in compensation for streaming video and giving the WGA jurisdiction over made-for-Internet work, based on existing properties.

WGA West president Patric Verrone had indicated that for his union to restart negotiations, it needed to receive an assurance that the companies would offer more in new media than they did on Nov. 4.

As for the companies, AMPTP president Nick Counter had said he needed to be convinced that the guild wanted to make a deal. He had moved away from last week's stance that the guild would have to stop striking in order to return to the table.

"For true negotiations to take place, there has to be some expectation that a deal can be made, but by their past actions and their current rhetoric that certainly doesn't appear to be the case," Counter said in his most recent statement.

-- Dave McNary

Went to Fox today for a meeting and not one picketer.