TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
brokentusk16

So can you still watch Chris Benoit matches?

I was watching my Best of Eddie in Japan tape I got someplace and I could watch the matches.

I've had no issue with watching his matches at all. You just have to seperate "Chris Benoit the technical wrestling master" with "Chris Benoit the cold blooded murderer".

It's like watching a movie; I know Sam Neill and Dr. Grant are two completely different people (and I have no idea why Jurassic Park of all movies popped into my head right now) just like I'm sure the Chris Benoit of his last three days is completely different from the Chris Benoit of the last 20+ years.

I'm sure the Chris Benoit of his last three days is completely different from the Chris Benoit of the last 20+ years.

The Chris Benoit before the last 3 days of his life was a lunatic who beat his wife, thought invisible men were following him, tortured a younger wrestler for "disrespecting Shawn Michaels," laughed at a crying referee backstage at a Japanese show and then called him a "gay bitch," and may have been injecting his son with HGH for non-medical reasons, among other things I'm probably forgetting.

The other day I watched a Benoit match and couldn't remember who won. (I forget the opponent) Anyways I was rooting for Benoit. He won. I was happy.

I'm sure the Chris Benoit of his last three days is completely different from the Chris Benoit of the last 20+ years.

The Chris Benoit before the last 3 days of his life was a lunatic who beat his wife, thought invisible men were following him, tortured a younger wrestler for "disrespecting Shawn Michaels," laughed at a crying referee backstage at a Japanese show and then called him a "gay bitch," and may have been injecting his son with HGH for non-medical reasons, among other things I'm probably forgetting.

Then how about Benoit after Eddie's Death is different from the Benoit of the past 20 years?

Then how about Benoit after Eddie's Death is different from the Benoit of the past 20 years?

Much of that happened before Eddy Guerrero died.

Looking back, the dude was pretty clearly a crazed sociopath for a long time.

I like Bix. I hope he stays for a while.

As for the topic, I've found that the matches I've watched since have all been enjoyable, but it's hard to get caught up in the drama now.

I still watch them, but when he does the crossface, I get a little unnerved.

Can you guys still watch Jake Roberts matches knowing that he's wrecked his entire life? Of course you can, and so can I. I can also still watch classic USC games that involve OJ, even though he's a murderer. Life goes on.

I don't watch the matches because I want to see a Benoit match. I watch them when I want to watch the work of his opponent. He's a bastard, and I still don't understand why people try to explain away what he did. Nobody will ever be able to have a good enough explanation, because one doesn't exist.

I never met the man Chris Benoit, so everything that I know of him was the charicter he protrayed.

I love Joey on Dawson Creek and dig Tom Cruise's charicter in A Few Good Men. I am sure in real life if I knew them and they were the preachy religious types, I wouldnt like the people. As of now, I like them as the charicters they play.

There's nothing comparable to Benoit killing his son with his pro wrestling finishing hold. Let me know when Jake Roberts DDTs someone to death or Tom Cruise rapes a woman on an empty train in a crazed attempt at re-enacting the climax of Risky Business (the latter being a somewhat less direct comparison, I know).

I can, but I really havent tried to. 24/7 of course has erased him from history, so Id have to go out of my way to watch a dvd with his matches on it. I always feel different watching a match with now-dead wrestlers, but yea It's hard to think of Benoit without thinking about what happened in the last weekend of his life. shame. hopefully young wrestlers, can still watch these tapes, cuz they would be beneficial to their careers, and maybe give them an idea of how to make wrestling be real and still an art form

hopefully young wrestlers, can still watch these tapes, cuz they would be beneficial to their careers, and maybe give them an idea of how not to turn their brains into jello

fixed

I wonder if they would show rookies Benoit's tapes to study.

PS -Did we really need another Benoit thread? Hasn't this "can you still watch his matches" stuff been covered in the other one?

I haven't seen that thread in so long, I was honestly just too lazy to sift through all 100+ pages of it. I do appreciate answering the thread if it is a hassle.

Damn, I never heard about those except for the HGH. What are the stories on torturing a young wrestler, the ref and beating his wife. I heard he and Nancy had problems but that it was never confirmed as violent until that last day.

Damn, I never heard about those except for the HGH. What are the stories on torturing a young wrestler,

HHH told it on the tribute show. I forget if it included muscle fibers deteriorating and being passed through the dude's urine like the other stories of excessive Hindu Squats.

the ref

It was in the galleys of Jericho's book and cut out of the final version. Basically what I said, except Benoit laughed uproariously before exclaiming "What a gay bitch!" I swear I am not making this up.

and beating his wife. I heard he and Nancy had problems but that it was never confirmed as violent until that last day.

She took pictures of her bruises from after Chris hit her. Chris destroyed (burnt, presumably) the pictures with other things like the majority of his diary, but left behind pictures she took after being hit from previous relationships (the implication being that Kevin Sullivan was also abusive). Over time, it seemed like it was being subtlely implied by Dave Meltzer that he got much of this information from Nancy's sister, but it could have been a close friend.

Jericho's book, even in its final version, doesn't exactly paint the picture of a stable guy, even if it's less "evil." The story that sticks out is from after a match at a NJPW show. Benoit sold a spinning kick by Jericho before it hit. Jericho was sure it wasn't noticeable, but Benoit felt that he had to "cleanse" himself of the blown spot, so he decided to 500 Hindu squats. Jericho started to do the squats with him, but being tired from the match, he stopped and slinked away as it seemed that Benoit had no idea he was leaving.

I watched the 09/12/06 episode of Nitro today which had this segment in it where Benoit & Women where drinking champagne and Women telling Sullivan that it was the '90s and not the '50s and that she could do what ever she wanted and I gotta say it felt a little eerie because of how it all turned out.