TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jaxxson Mayhem

Pimp C Found Dead

Pimp C, real name Chad Butler -- and one half of the rap duo UGK, was found dead in a hotel room this morning. He was 33.

L.A. County Fire responded to a 911 call at the Mondrian Hotel, located on trendy Sunset Strip in Hollywood. They arrived to his sixth floor hotel room to find him dead in bed.

http://www.tmz.com/2007/12/04/rapper-pimp-...ood-hotel-room/

I've been a big fan of UGK since forever, one of the most under appreciated southern hip hop groups. I'n always constantly pumping Ridin' Dirty to this day. It shocks me to hear about this. Pimp C did a great job stopping a lot of the tension and beef between rappers in Texas when he got out of prison.

I heard he was putting together an album with him and Too Short, wonder if that still will get released.

UPDATE: Jive Records has issued the following statement regarding Pimp C's death:

"It is with great sadness that Jive Records announces the passing of Chad "Pimp C" Butler, a member of the celebrated rap duo UGK (Underground Kingz). Jive Records' President and CEO Barry Weiss states: "We mourn the unexpected loss of Chad. He was truly a thoughtful and kind-hearted person. He will be remembered for his talent and profound influence as a pioneer in bringing southern rap to the forefront. He will be missed and our prayers remain with his family and Bun B. I've known Chad since he was 18, and we loved him dearly and he was a cherished member of the Jive family."

Born in Port Arthur, Texas, Butler's father was a trumpet player who played professionally with Solomon Burke. Outside of his father, the 33-year old rapper's influences varied, ranging from Bobby Bland, Jimmy McGriff, the 1960's Motown artists to Run DMC. Butler met his inseparable partner Bernard "Bun B" Freeman in high school where they formed UGK. In 1992, the duo signed to Jive Records and went on release a total of eight albums for the label. They earned their highest achievement earlier this year when their most recent album, UGK (Underground Kingz), debuted in the number one position on the album pop chart. According to the New York Times, UGK "helped inspire a generation of Southern hip-hop stars, from OutKast to Lil Wayne."

Bun B is not available for comment at this time."

Great, now we're already down to Pimp D.

Czech, I like you, but please, don't post in hip hop threads.

Anyways, RIP Pimp C.

Guest My Pal, the Tortoise

Sorry, didn't mean to touch a nerve. Highly ill-advised post. I've never heard of this person in my entire life.

Capt. Ed Winter of the L.A. County Coroner's office tells TMZ that it appears as though rapper Pimp C died of natural causes in a Hollywood hotel room today.

We're told no drug paraphernalia or other drugs were found in the room. The rapper, we've learned, was found fully clothed on top of the bed. He did not seem to have fallen or injured himself and he was positioned on his side.

Winter said it did not appear that there was anyone else in the room at the time of his death. An autopsy will be performed and toxicology test results will be available in six to eight weeks.

Pimp C, whose real name is Chad Butler, was one half of the Houston rap duo UGK.

I thought the Pimp D joke was kinda funny...

I'm guessing a heart problem, shame though, IPA was one of my favorite songs of the year.

But not awesome thing to do. Just ask Jingus.

This made me laugh.

Never been a fan of the guy. Pretty much been that "Alright, Bun-B's verse is up next!!!" kinda guy to me.

But yeah...Rip and stuff.

Yeah, I can't say I was a big UGK fan. They really made their mark before I even got into hip-hop. I've long been partial to Bun's guest spots and although his solo shot a couple years back was flaccid, I agree he is probably better off doing the solo thing.

The L.A. County Coroner has determined that Pimp C's death was due to complications stemming from sleep apnea and an accidental overdose of prescibed codeine.

Despite previous reports that Pimp C died of natural causes, according to TMZ, the Port Arthur rapper had a pre-existing sleeping disorder that made it hard for him to breathe. Combined with his codeine consumption, it proved to be deadly.

Assistant Chief Coroner Ed Winter explained Pimp C's death to the Houston Chronicle. "[With] sleep apnea, you stop breathing. Coupled with a medication that suppresses your respiratory abilities, you end up with an accidental death."

Pimp C (aka Chad Butler) who was one half of seminal Southern rap group UGK, along with Bun B, often rhymed about drinking "Sizzurp" - an illegal beverage whose main ingredient includes Codeine. In 2000, rap innovator DJ Screw, also died from a heart attack attributed to a codeine overdose. Last year Houston rapper Big Moe, 33, also died of a heart attack which many believed to be connected to "Sizzurp."

Pimp C died on December 4 at only 33 years-old. He was found dead in his bed at the Mondrian Hotel in Hollywood.