TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

College Hoops: January '08

Might as well post this today with the t.v. schedule for the week since there are no national games today. Majority of the country starts up conference play this week.

TV Schedule for the Week of 12/31 - 1/6

TUESDAY

Cincinnati at Louisville, 2:30 PM/11:30 AM, ESPN

WEDNESDAY

Rutgers at South Florida, 7:00/4:00 PM, ESPN2

Kent State at #1 North Carolina, 8:00/5:00 PM, ESPN

Penn State at Northwestern, 9:00/6:00 PM, ESPN2

THURSDAY

West Virginia at Notre Dame, 7:00/4:00 PM, ESPN2

Ohio State at Illinois, 8:00/5:00 PM, ESPN

#17 Villanova at DePaul, 9:00/6:00 PM, ESPN2

#5 UCLA at #24 Stanford, 10:30/7:30 PM, FSN

SATURDAY

#3 Kansas at Boston College, Noon/9:00 AM, ESPN

Michigan at Purdue, 2:00 PM/11:00 AM, ESPN

Oregon at #21 Arizona, 2:00 PM/11:00 AM, FSN

Louisville at Kentucky, 4:00/1:00 PM, CBS

Oregon State at Arizona State, 4:00/1:00 PM, FSN

#5 UCLA at California, 6:00/3:00 PM, FSN

Connecticut at Notre Dame, 9:00/6:00 PM, ESPN

SUNDAY

Cornell at #9 Duke, 5:30/2:30 PM, FSN

#1 North Carolina at #19 Clemson, 7:30/4:30 PM, FSN

I gotta throw this out there, there might be a changing of the guard in the Missouri Valley (at least this year) Illinois State Redbirds has BEATEN the mighty Southern Illinois Salukis 56-47, I brag about this because ISU is based right in my town

U of L beat UK yesterday, which normally I would be thrilled with but let's face it this is the worst UK team possibly ever (maybe even including the 1990 probation team) so U of L HAD to win that one. U of L also lost at home to fucking CINCY this week, which may well be the worst loss we've had under Pitino.

As far as the MVC goes, I think that conf. is really down this year. Certainly don't see a Cinderella run coming from anyone in it. I would say the Cinderella team this year is Butler but considering they made the Sweet 16 last year I don't really consider them a Cinderella.

Instead of the MVC or the CAA, the surprise this year should be the A10. A10 should be getting 4 bids this year and hopefully it returns to the status the conference was at in the 90's/early 00's

Interesting first week of the New Year. Escpecially yesterday's Big East and ACC matchups. Villanova saved its status in the Ap Ranking by beating Pittsburgh off a 2 made Free Throws and a botched drive to the hoop in the end by Pitt.

UNC beat Clemson in OT off a Three Pointer by Ellington. Lets just hope this isn't the beginning of the same problem that plagued Clemson last year (Blowing by its OOC schedule off to an amazing start, only to go 4-11 in its last 15.)

As far as the Valley goes...A very interesting change of the guard this year. It could be Drake (fucking Drake, btw) that waves the Valley's Banner this year. They need to keep winning and avoid losing to the Valley's Dregs (especially Evansville) if they want a shot at an At-Large. Bracket Busters, Illinois State and Creighton will all be huge games for the Bulldogs.

Edit: On another note, I was hoping UNC would lose, so the real Number 1 (Memphis), can take the spot it deserves.

Memphis isn't in any way, shape, or form the real #1. But as a U of L fan I swore an oath to never put Memphis over at all.

One thing about the A-10. Is that really a Cinderella league? I've never quite put them in there as a top tier conference but there's usually someone that is really good in that league, from Temple in the Chaney era, to UMass under Calipari, St. Joes was great for a while, Xavier is tough. It's kind of in that "not quite mid major, not quite major" realm.

I'd put the Atlantic 10 on a par with C-USA and the Mountain West (and maybe the Missouri Valley). They're all solid 2nd-tier conferences that usually have a couple of pretty good teams, and occasionally a top-5 team (See: UMass, St. Joe's, Memphis). They'll almost always get more than one team into the tournament. I consider a true Cinderella conference to be one that almost always sends only one team to the tournament.

And the LOLs continue in OOC play.

The Robert Morris Colonials (Not the George Washington ones), beat Boston College 57 - 51.

They were in the high 100s of RPI when the game took place. Now they're 147. BC is 94, btw.

How on earth is the ACC currently the #1 rated conf. in the RPI? Aside from UNC and Duke I don't see a hell of a lot there. Maybe Clemson since they played UNC tough.

The Big East is certainly the best conference this year. I don't know if there's necessarily an easy FF pick like UNC, but it's certainly more balanced.

The Big East's strength is a bit of an illusion because there are so many teams, several of which are pretty bad. Sagarin actually has the Pac 10 as the best conference, with eight out of ten teams in the top 50...the Big East also has eight teams in the top 50, but 8/16 doesn't look nearly as good as 8/10.

According to Sagarin, it's Pac 10, Big XII, ACC and Big East, in that order, with the ACC and Big East virtually dead even.

A bit late on this.

TV Schedule for the Week of 1/7 - 1/13

TUESDAY

#10 Indiana at Michigan, 7:00/4:00 PM, ESPN

Wichita State at Missouri State, 7:00/4:00 PM, ESPN2

Florida at Alabama, 9:00/6:00 PM, ESPN

WEDNESAY

#9 Duke at Temple, 7:00/4:00 PM, ESPN

#20 Pittsburgh at South Florida, 7:30/4:30 PM, ESPN2

THURSDAY

West Virginia at Louisville, 7:00/4:00 PM, ESPN

Illinois at #21 Wisconsin, 9:00/6:00 PM, ESPN

Arkansas at Auburn, 9:00/6:00 PM, ESPN2

#4 Washington State at USC, 11:00/8:00 PM, FSN

SATURDAY

N.C. State at #1 North Carolina, Noon/9:00 AM, ESPN

#13 Vanderbilt at Kentucky, 1:30 PM/10:30 AM, CBS*

Oklahoma State at Texas Tech, 1:30 PM/10:30 AM, CBS*

Connecticut at #7 Georgetown, 2:00 PM/11:00 AM, ESPN

#4 Washington State at #5 UCLA, 2:30 PM/11:30 AM, FSN

Arizona at Houston, 3:00 PM/Noon, ESPN2

California at Oregon State, 4:30/1:30 PM, FSN

#3 Kansas at Nebraska, 9:00/6:00 PM, ESPN

SUNDAY

Illinois at #10 Indiana, 4:30/1:30 PM, CBS*

#23 Stanford at Oregon, 4:30/1:30 PM, CBS*

Virginia at #9 Duke, 8:00/5:00 PM, FSN

Okay let's take a look at the Pac 10. UCLA I won't argue with since they are of course a perennial. I don't know how well they can do in the tourney minus Afflalo, but we'll see. Arizona is in turmoil without Lute Olson there....don't expect much from them. Oregon has tanked and is no longer ranked. USC hasn't been that good and is no longer ranked. Stanford has been pretty decent against an "eh" schedule. That leaves Washington St. who may be undefeated right now but I don't buy them as any sort of real threat. Maybe it's that #255 SOS so far?

Yeah, I went to Asheville and I'd see this dude around campus sometimes. He'd have to bend over so far to get his hand under the cough guard in the cafeteria his upper body would be pointing straight towards the floor. Dude is freaking massive.

In an A-10 matchup that wasn't exactly Rhode Island vs. Dayton, Saint Louis fell to George Washington, 49-20.

The Billikens' 20 point "effort" was the lowest since the institution of the shot clock. The halftime score was 25-7.

No, I didn't look up a women's score by mistake. AP

In an A-10 matchup that wasn't exactly Rhode Island vs. Dayton, Saint Louis fell to George Washington, 49-20.

The Billikens' 20 point "effort" was the lowest since the institution of the shot clock. The halftime score was 22-7.

No, I didn't look up a women's score by mistake. AP

That's just hilarious. Especially when you consider that the Fat F*ck that coaches the Billikens (Majerus) has supposedly gone on record to say that he is not a fan of the A-10. Especially its TV contract. I think he needs to win the Conference, or at least get an At-Large Bid from the A-10, before he bitches.

Also, in what could be good or bad news...St. Louis plays Dayton, next.

Isn't it funny how some teams stay the same no matter who the coach is? St. Louis has always been this ultra slow, shitty garbage team ever since the Spoonhauer era. Then Lorenzo Romar took over and they pretty much played the same slow shit (which is amusing considering Romar's fast paced Washington teams). Then the one bald dude (Soderberg I think?) took over, and they still played boring slow shit. Now Majerus...same old shit.

Yes, I'm still bitter about all those times U of L went to STL and came out with some yawn inducing 55-53 loss.

The Billikens' 20 point "effort" was the lowest since the institution of the shot clock. The halftime score was 25-7.

That's just hilarious. Especially when you consider that the Fat F*ck that coaches the Billikens (Majerus) has supposedly gone on record to say that he is not a fan of the A-10. Especially its TV contract.

I don't blame Majerus on that one point. The TV contract is a piece of crap.

CSTV is the lead national carrier for the A-10, only the tourney final is on an ESPN channel. CSTV was further given the power to block localized telecasts of games on cable systems that don't carry CSTV. Most games last season ended up as webcast only. The television restrictions have only loosened up slightly this season.

It was pretty amusing seeing Washington St. making a quasi-comeback by hitting all those 3's at the end the of game. If UCLA wasn't such a good FT-shooting team, it would've been even more interesting.

well the Illinois State/Evansville game was alot more competitive then I thought it would be, mainly because the refs made the absolute worst calls on the face of God's green Earth, if the Purple Aces didnt make a shot, a foul was called and more often then not they werent even touched, but ISU wound up winning 74-66

TV Schedule for the Week 1/14 - 1/20

MONDAY

#5 Georgetown at #15 Pittsburgh, 7:00/4:00 PM, ESPN

Oklahoma at #3 Kansas, 9:00/6:00 PM, ESPN

Gonzaga at Pepperdine, 11:59/8:59 PM, ESPN

TUESDAY

Ohio State at #11 Michigan State, 7:00/4:00 PM, ESPN

Creighton at Northern Iowa, 7:00/4:00 PM, ESPN2

Kentucky at Mississippi State, 9:00/6:00 PM, ESPN

WEDNESDAY

#7 Duke at Florida State, 7:00/4:00 PM, ESPN

#1 North Carolina at Georgia Tech, 9:00/6:00 PM, ESPN

#10 Texas A&M at Texas Tech, 9:30/6:30 PM, ESPN2

THURSDAY

#16 Vanderbilt at #6 Tennessee, 7:00/4:00 PM, ESPN

#13 Marquette at Louisville, 7:00/4:00 PM, ESPN2

#9 Indiana at Minnesota, 9:00/6:00 PM, ESPN

Arizona at Stanford, 11:00/8:00 PM, FSN

SATURDAY

#25 Villanova at Syracuse, Noon/9:00 AM, ESPN

Illinois at Purdue, 2:00 PM/11:00 AM, ESPN

Maryland at #1 North Carolina, 3:30/12:30 PM, ABC

Ohio State at #6 Tennessee, 3:30/12:30 PM, CBS*

USC at #4 UCLA, 3:30/12:30 PM, CBS*

#10 Texas A&M at Kansas State, 4:00/1:00 PM, ESPN

BYU at Utah, 4:00/1:00 PM, Versus

#24 Clemson at #7 Duke, 6:00/3:00 PM, ESPN

Oregon State at Washington, 6:00/3:00 PM, FSN

Kentucky at Florida, 9:00/6:00 PM, ESPN

SUNDAY

Oregon at #8 Washington State, 8:00/5:00 PM, FSN

I disagree with that statement. For a large portion of the 2nd half... first ten minutes or so, UNC was getting ass-raped every time they drove to the basket and no foul was called. This was when G-Tech built up a 7 point lead. They had huge momentum and Hansborough was getting pummeled and nothing got called.

As for the end, borderline call and you can't put a team on the line to shoot two free throws to win against the number one team in the country (which is also undefeated) on a borderline call.