TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

NFL Offseason Thread

Mark was this close || to replacing Brett in 94, as one famous Walrus Mike highlight shows us. He was just 14 years ahead of his time. Actually Detmer, Brunell and Favre had to be one of the best 3 some's in NFL QB History... given a few years of development and all 3 were starters. (By 96? Ty was the Eagles or somesuch???)

Guest Beastalentier
I think they take back Marty Booker.

Oh, this happened. Also, Brandon Lloyd:

Wide receiver Brandon Lloyd signed a one-year contract with the Chicago Bears and inadvertently stirred a quarterback controversy Friday.

"Rex Grossman is the starter," Lloyd said during a conference call.

Well, not exactly.

The Bears have said that Grossman and Kyle Orton will compete for the starting job next season, and Lloyd apparently jumped to a premature conclusion. When asked who told him Grossman would start, the receiver backpedalled.

"That's what I'm assuming," said Lloyd, who was released after two disappointing seasons in Washington. "That's what ..."

His voice trailed off. Then, he said, "Orton and Grossman signed one-year deals. I figured Grossman was the starter. Open competition is what I'm being told right now."

Lovie Smith is such a liar about everything.

Yeah I didn't include Hasselbeck because everyone knows that, so I was trying to think of more obscure ones, but Brody finished it off for me. Heh, I almost completely forgot about O'Sullivan- the guy we traded our starting cornerback for. Just look at the guy's face-

6103.jpg

What a douche.

To be fair, McKenzie wanted to leave anyway and the draft pick we got along with the douche ended up being Nick Collins.

I think they take back Marty Booker.

Oh, this happened. Also, Brandon Lloyd:

Wide receiver Brandon Lloyd signed a one-year contract with the Chicago Bears and inadvertently stirred a quarterback controversy Friday.

"Rex Grossman is the starter," Lloyd said during a conference call.

Well, not exactly.

The Bears have said that Grossman and Kyle Orton will compete for the starting job next season, and Lloyd apparently jumped to a premature conclusion. When asked who told him Grossman would start, the receiver backpedalled.

"That's what I'm assuming," said Lloyd, who was released after two disappointing seasons in Washington. "That's what ..."

His voice trailed off. Then, he said, "Orton and Grossman signed one-year deals. I figured Grossman was the starter. Open competition is what I'm being told right now."

Lovie Smith is such a liar about everything.

Did you see how far Rex threw that ball for an incompletion? There are skills there man!

I think Lovie just fears bearded white guys. If Rex had grown a beard, he'd be cut.

IF, IF thats true, then Marvin needs to go. If that did happen Chad should have been sent home, instead he went out and played in the second half. What kind of message does that send to the rest of the team? I am skeptical because Shaun Smith is a BIG shit-talker (and Hamburglar), but I would agree to that he does not have a lot of incentive to lie.

The swing at Hue Jackson was pretty much know by most.

Yeah, he's done with Seattle. But were I a Seahawks fan, the combination of Duckett and Julius Jones in the backfield next year wouldn't exactly fill me with confidence.

It doesn't make any sense...Jones was terrible in Dallas compared to Marion Barber, and Duckett was a bad third down back. What are they doing? Especially with so many talented RBs in this year's draft...

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Why in the past four or five seasons have people been convinced that Arizona was going to do something?

Seattle already lost Josh Brown. Brown was responsible for at the very least half of Seattle's wins the last few seasons with his kicks. Their already fucked.

Worse, he went to St. Louis. As if Seattle didn't have enough trouble beating the Rams already.

Salt in the wound. Salt in the wound.

I really don't get how Seattle just let Brown go. Unless there was some type of rule from him being Franchise Tag'd that I'm unaware of from last year. How could you just let such a major play walk away? It just...BOGGLES my mind considering that just last year they Franchised him to make sure he didn't go anywhere.

No, oh my god, stop it. Whatever games the Seattle Seahawks may have won because Josh Brown was on their roster, they would have won with any other kicker.

Salt in the wound. Salt in the wound.

I really don't get how Seattle just let Brown go. Unless there was some type of rule from him being Franchise Tag'd that I'm unaware of from last year. How could you just let such a major play walk away? It just...BOGGLES my mind considering that just last year they Franchised him to make sure he didn't go anywhere.

He was going to leave anyways.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/jerr...3_brewer04.html

That article is all kinds of slant and bias.

Either way, that is a LOT of money for a kicker. And honestly I don't know that Mr. Brown is what the Rams need to fix their woes either. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out for both Seattle and Saint Louis in regards to special teams as well as what Seattle does with the free money and Saint Louis with what remaining cap room they have after investing this much in a kicker.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Regarding Seattle, I don't see how splitting Alexander's problems between two people (lack of commitment and drive, injuries and physical wear) is anything but a financial upgrade. (Someone familiar with Seattle's salary situation could confirm or deny this.)

The hope is, I think, that Jones might do well with a change of scenery and be productive in a scheme where he's splitting carries with Morris. Duckett's the bench guy in case Jones sucks and the rookie gets hurt.

This is a really deep draft at RB. McFadden, Mendenhall, and Stewart are all 1st round selections alone. Chris Johnson's speed will make him attractive to teams wanting a change of pace back or potential special teams star. Felix Jones is good. Ray Rice, Mike Hart are both out there. Plenty of options at RB.

Seattle is in a good position, considering their division is shit, and they have the best defense and best quarterback within it. Bulger might be an argument, but he just isn't winning anything. St. Louis is awful. If I were the Seahawks (and this is admittedly a team I very rarely think about), I would sign the best defensive player available, since I don't think they really have a glaring need on that side of the ball and a talented young guy can only improve it. Maintaining the advantages they have over the other teams in the West will almost guarantee they'll be a 3rd or 4th seed in an open NFC playoff for at least the next few seasons. Address the backfield in the middle rounds in a draft deep at that position.

I don't doubt that they've improved their situation financially. I just wonder how these two guys--both of whom have been major underachievers, Duckett in more places than one--are going to improve their production any at what was a glaring weak spot on an otherwise pretty good offense. And having already made this investment in free agency, I doubt that they'll draft a RB any earlier than late on the second day.

I wonder where Alexander ends up. He's obviously no longer able to handle being an every-down back. What can he still do?

How did Alexander get so washed up all of a sudden? I could understand him slowing down a bit, but it's like all of a sudden people are proclaiming he's all but done. I'm in the category of people who don't pay attention to the Seahawks, but this guy was the NFL MVP in 2005.

How did Alexander get so washed up all of a sudden? I could understand him slowing down a bit, but it's like all of a sudden people are proclaiming he's all but done. I'm in the category of people who don't pay attention to the Seahawks, but this guy was the NFL MVP in 2005.

Great, except this is 2008. A year after MVPing he dropped a full thousand yards off his season total. His backup that year ran for 600 yards on about 160 carries, and just last year Morris was 90 yards behind Alexander with 67 fewer carries. Morris also had better receiving stats, missed less games and fumbled less.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Alexander's a shitty blocker, too. If I were otherwise soft at RB, I'd see what the going rate was and if low enough, take a flyer on a guy who might get healthy and be productive. Send him to Detroit. I'd like to have a really shitty non-Bears RB in the North instead of Grant and Peterson, who are going to both going to be beastly good for the next five seasons. For all the problems I have with the fucking horrible Chicago offense, if the= Bears don't spend a LOT of time and money on creating an excellent run defense, they're going to get destroyed in the division.