TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Youth N Asia

How much are you getting back in taxes this year

Supposed to get 860 back. I just got a letter saying I owed an extra 440 because I didn't pay taxes on unemployment from a few years back.

I was expecting more.

I'm getting $850ish back. Maybe more, depending on if my Dad lets me claim my Teaching Certification classes, which he paid for. He should. He makes too much money for it to make a difference if he claims it. My fiancee's getting back about $1100. Last year she got back $7500 because she claimed her two small brothers as dependents.

I already got mine deposited last week.

$75 from Federal and $78 from MD. I wouldnt have gotten any back from Federal but I remembered to claim my 401k contributions this year which got me a refund. With my pretax 401k and HSA, my taxable gross income was less than than last year despite making way more this year as this was the first year I had a HSA.

Guest Smues

Would have been $1725 if I had not gotten married. With the married bracket it's going to be about $3100. Would be closer to $4,000 if she had had as much withheld as she ment too, but I'm not going to complain about $3,100. (Yes I know it's a tax free loan to the government, I just prefer to withhold and lot and get it back, I'm wierd.)

Oh and I'll go ahead and cut the jokes off at the pass, $3,100 will buy me a lot of modships! If I bought someone a modship and they change Matt Young's name, would Al get banned for another week?

I'm not sure how much I'm getting back yet. I think it should be something good because I made a lot of money last year, but I also took a unemployment check or two where I didn't want taxes taken out...so I don't know how that will impact my taxes or not. They were only taking 40 dollars out for taxes so I'm not sure if they'll just take out those taxes when they process everything or not, but we'll see.

So I SHOULD be getting a return from my last job, unemployment, and a donated car. So I'm hoping it's a pretty good return.

I also heard that Bush is handing out money again like he did a few years back, but I don't know what the deal about that is.

I'm invariably gonna owe again this year. Nearly 2000 owed last year, and that was for two jobs. This year I've had paystubs from five places, two of which were for pretty short periods of time. I have additional tax taken off each cheque just in case, and my charity donations are gonna be close to four figures, but I'm just hoping to break even.

I would once again like to point out how it is bullshit that they tax unemployment pay, and pretty much double tax bonus checks and severence pay. Complete and total bullshit.

I mean, they take 40 goddamn percent out of a severence pay check. What kind of bullshit is that? I am not going to have a fucking job you goddamn assholes! Then you take 40 percent, then take an additional whatever percent you have to pay out of each unemployment check(I am around 20 percent I think). BULLSHIT.

Then they take all this goddamn tax money and use it on important stuff. Like finding out what MLB players took steroids and what happened to the Patriots illegal tapes.

About $20 i'm guessing. This is my first time ever paying taxes. I only made about $1,000 in 6 weeks of working.

Random quote I found on another board

The worst thing about taxes is that you’re supposed to compute the total yourself. What if you ate at a restaurant and when you said hey, what do I owe you? They said you figure it out. And you thought about what you’d eaten and said well, I guess that’d be about $7.25, and they said no, it’s $11.40. Plus now we’re going to charge you an extra five bucks for trying to cheat us. If they knew what you owed them, what was the point of making you figure it out? Just to be jerks, probably. Or maybe in hopes you’d miss high, which is basically how taxes work.

But they can turn around later and say "No, you couldn't deduct that. What the hell were you thinking?" even if you think you're properly following the rules in the book

This caused me to have to send back some money from a refund a couple years ago

Guest NYankees
About $20 i'm guessing. This is my first time ever paying taxes. I only made about $1,000 in 6 weeks of working.

Isn't there a law or rule that if you make under a certain amount you dont have to file? It seems pretty stupid for someone who made less than 1000 to pay taxes.

Guest Smues

Isn't there a law or rule that if you make under a certain amount you dont have to file? It seems pretty stupid for someone who made less than 1000 to pay taxes.

You don't, but if you want your refund you have to file. And someone who made $1,000 wouldn't be paying income taxes, but would still be paying social security and all those fun taxes.

I'm still waiting for my W-2 to come in. Besides my income, I can claim $1300 in student loan interest paid. I need to pay taxes on my Baseball Info Solutions earnings, but I can claim 66 miles a game in traveling expenses.

And Smues, since you mentioned Liberty Tax Service in your blog, I saw them myself in Wyoming, PA this weekend. They dressed some idiot by the road in a stupid Statue of Liberty costume.

I generally write up my own taxes but my mother looks them over and finds any more applicable deductions. She works part-time for an accounting firm so she's got a good handle on things.

I owe Federal $10.00 and my state is $76.00...which I don't understand.

Nothing changed on my W-2 last year, The unemployment really didn't have a impact on anything as it was for a very SHORT stint in 2007, and I donated a car where I was suppose to get $500.00 for. So I don't understand why I'm not really getting anything back.

When I asked the person who did my taxes, I was told "it's because you made more money in 2007 than 2006. Which put you in a differant tax bracket." but I don't get how I would owe money because of that.

I owe Federal $10.00 and my state is $76.00...which I don't understand.

Nothing changed on my W-2 last year, The unemployment really didn't have a impact on anything as it was for a very SHORT stint in 2007, and I donated a car where I was suppose to get $500.00 for. So I don't understand why I'm not really getting anything back.

When I asked the person who did my taxes, I was told "it's because you made more money in 2007 than 2006. Which put you in a differant tax bracket." but I don't get how I would owe money because of that.

Same thing here dude. I got back 1600 last year and it got cut in half because of a little increase in my income even though I paid almost twice as many taxes. being right at the edge of a tax bracket sucks ass.

Im getting 1700 from Fed

350 from Minnesota

Better enjoy it this year cause next year the marriage tax will kick me square in the nuts. Hopefully my student loan stuff will help out when I get to claim that next year.

I haven't gotten my W2's yet.

You're legally supposed to have them by the end of January. Do yours get mailed? They have to be postmarked by 1/31, so watch your mail today.

164 dollars.

If I hadn't made charity donations earlier in the year, they would have had my balls nailed to the IRS wall and my dick stapled to the wall of the state tax Office.

I'm just god damn happy with the 164.

Still waiting on a W2 from the job I had the first two weeks of the year.

I usually end up paying the city because I work outside of the city...yet the city I work for takes taxes out of my checks every two weeks and never refunds me. :huh:

Better enjoy it this year cause next year the marriage tax will kick me square in the nuts. Hopefully my student loan stuff will help out when I get to claim that next year.

I paid $1300 in student loan interest last year. Hopefully that helps a bit. It's kind of amusing that the government gave me money for college, I pay back money and interest, and then the government kicks back that interest to me anyway.

$900 Federal and about $330 state. To all those that still are going to file, just buy or find someone that has a program like TurboTax; my father gets it every year and all his friends pay him to do theirs.