TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Scroby

WWE General Discussion - March 2008

Is the Miz actually a good wrestler? Every time I actually see him wrestle is when he is getting beat up and selling his ass off.

Is the Miz actually a good wrestler? Every time I actually see him wrestle is when he is getting beat up and selling his ass off.

Considering he became famous by being the hyperactive Wrestling Fan on Real Life, he's really solid. He could be a great mid-card heel for a long time with his schtick as is.

I read this over on 411:

Jonathan Coachman is getting a lot of heat lately due to the perception that he hasn't done a good job replacing JBL and offers nothing to the broadcasts. Also a few weeks back, when the Undertaker was brawling at ringside, Coachman stayed in position when the announcers were supposed to be selling fear and clear the announce position. After the show his punishment was having to go into the ring and take several of the main event talents' finishing moves.

I always found the concept of Wrestlers' Court and the like to be extremely lame. Can you imagine the lawsuit if he got injured?

He probably wouldn't be able to sue. WWE probably has their contracts worded to avoid instances like that in situations like that.

And I'm shocked that WWE doesn't realize by now that Coachman is a shitty commentator. He's best in a heel manager/authority figure role.

I've heard that Coach is a great announcer for basketball, but he really is better as a character where he controls his own little part of the wrestling universe. When he's left to account for the wrestling universe as a whole (i.e., as a color guy responsible for commenting on what's going on during the show with everyone else), he's lost.

I've long been of the opinion that a color commentator really needs to be someone who was involved with wrestling as a career in some capacity. The two most respected color guys - Heenan and Ventura - were in the wrestling business through and through. Other people I've enjoyed also were wrestlers of some kind: JBL, Tazz, and even Bill DeMott (who was excellent on Velocity). They understand the wrestling business, and how to get the story across in terms of the wrestling world, not just in terms of what literally is happening. The Play-by-play guys talks about what's happening, and the best color guy explain why what's happening is important.

B/c there seem to be more and more people who have nothing to do with wrestling (Coach, Don West, and Mark Madden at the end of WCW) in the color position, explaining why what's going on the ring is important really is a lost art. Ventura was great at this, and JBL, Tazz, and DeMott brought it back. Heenan didn't do it so much, but he was so legitimately witty and insightful from the "head games" aspect that he complimented what Gorilla was talking about play-by-play wise (compare to Lawler, who is more concerned with getting himself over, it seems, relying too much on one-liners that have been recycled a zillion times).

I read this over on 411:

Jonathan Coachman is getting a lot of heat lately due to the perception that he hasn't done a good job replacing JBL and offers nothing to the broadcasts. Also a few weeks back, when the Undertaker was brawling at ringside, Coachman stayed in position when the announcers were supposed to be selling fear and clear the announce position. After the show his punishment was having to go into the ring and take several of the main event talents' finishing moves.

I always found the concept of Wrestlers' Court and the like to be extremely lame. Can you imagine the lawsuit if he got injured?

Yeah, for one I call bullshit and for two, if anyone actually believes this happen and the wrestlers set out to hurt Coach your an idiot.

Now that it seems the timeline is fixed, I'm repeating my post.

I read this over on 411:

Yeah, for one I call bullshit and for two, if anyone actually believes this happen and the wrestlers set out to hurt Coach your an idiot.

Ditto...

Also the fact that "taking someone's signature" isn't really all that dangerous to someone trained to bump. No more than any other bump is dangerous anyways.

I read this over on 411:

Ditto...

Also the fact that "taking someone's signature" isn't really all that dangerous to someone trained to bump. No more than any other bump is dangerous anyways.

Well it does depend on the bump. Not every bump is the same and some people are better at doing a certain kind of bump and have trouble doing another type of bump. I'll use myself as a example, I can back bump my ass off for someone but I have a lot of trouble doing a flipping bump as I don't get off my feet very well, and I can barely do a front face bump correctly. Don't get me wrong, I can do a front face bump but I need to practice taking the move before I can get it right.

If anything what coach went through is nothing more than what any student learning how to take a bump went through and there is no reason to make a big deal or a fuss over it.

Vince Mcmahon used to get drunk and coked up at clubs and have wrestlers do their finishing moves to him on the dance floor. Ric Flair says he once saw him take the Doomsday Device from the LOD.

So, knowing that, you guys are still suprised by something like a few guys giving the Coach a hard time after a show?

He probably wouldn't be able to sue. WWE probably has their contracts worded to avoid instances like that in situations like that.

And I'm shocked that WWE doesn't realize by now that Coachman is a shitty commentator. He's best in a heel manager/authority figure role.

Oh gosh, I got so sick of Coachman playing Vince's neutered lap dog on RAW. I'm glad he's at least doing something different if they're going to keep putting him on TV.

Vince Mcmahon used to get drunk and coked up at clubs and have wrestlers do their finishing moves to him on the dance floor. Ric Flair says he once saw him take the Doomsday Device from the LOD.

So, knowing that, you guys are still suprised by something like a few guys giving the Coach a hard time after a show?

Bret Hart told that story at his Hall of Fame induction as well... he finished it by saving Anvil convinced him to do the Hart Foundation finish on Vince as well.

- At Friday night's WWE house show in Cape Girardeau, MO Chris Jericho seemed to get injured. Jericho went for the Lionsault but Mr. Kennedy was too far away and Y2J landed awkwardly on his head. The referee tossed up the X sign with his hands a few times but Jericho was able to get back up and lock on a very poor Walls of Jericho for the win. Following the match several trainers came out and helped him to the back.

Jericho did compete at last night's event in Louisville, KY so he seems to be fine. Those in attendance in MO though, said it was a very scary situation and it seems as if Y2J is very lucky he wasn't majorly injured.

Credit: Gerweck.net

Kennedy.

- At Friday night's WWE house show in Cape Girardeau, MO Chris Jericho seemed to get injured. Jericho went for the Lionsault but Mr. Kennedy was too far away and Y2J landed awkwardly on his head. The referee tossed up the X sign with his hands a few times but Jericho was able to get back up and lock on a very poor Walls of Jericho for the win. Following the match several trainers came out and helped him to the back.

Jericho did compete at last night's event in Louisville, KY so he seems to be fine. Those in attendance in MO though, said it was a very scary situation and it seems as if Y2J is very lucky he wasn't majorly injured.

Credit: Gerweck.net

Ever since I read about Hayabusa getting paralyzed from doing the Lionsault in 2001, I've always cringed every time Jericho does awkward Lionsaults.

I'm not really a fan of any of the Rock's movies, though he seems to be a fine enough actor. I can't wait to see what he has to offer in "Get Smart". He also has "Spy Hunter" coming out sooner or later. "Southland Tales" is probably pure garbage, but I'm sure he does well in it.

Ever since I read about Hayabusa getting paralyzed from doing the Lionsault in 2001, I've always cringed every time Jericho does awkward Lionsaults.

I don't know why Jericho doesn't just drop the Lionsault from his repertoire now, or at least only use it on super-rare occasions. It hasn't been sold as an effective finisher for years, and I think he just does it out of habit more than anything. It usually doesn't look very crisp when he does it, and it's usually done as a counter spot where he misses it, or the opponent gets the knees up to block it. He doesn't need to be taking awkward bumps at this stage of his career.

I believe Jericho probably did mess it up. There's been countless times where Jericho hasn't exactly looked great doing that move, as I mentioned in my last post.

Because Kennedy was too far away?

Based off of past history, I'm going to go ahead and call it Kennedy's fault and move on.

I don't think Jericho needs to do the move, but established wrestlers all have moves that the crowd expects to see every match, so he continues to work it in to every match. I see no harm in that.

It's a statement based on Kennedy being bad luck. Cena, Edge...both injured either during a match or shortly after having a match with Kennedy. I believe HBK, too.

How is that possibly Kennedy's fault? It sounds like Jericho just botched the flip. Unless he had to push off harder off the rope and it messed everything up.

who blamed Kennedy before your post?