TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Boon

The NBA Offseason Thread

Man, if that's true Houston just got scary good on paper. Battier AND Artest to guard opposing wingmen, and they picked up Brent Barry to come off the bench and be Brent Barry. If Deke comes back they're like two deep at every position.

Man, if that's true Houston just got scary good on paper. Battier AND Artest to guard opposing wingmen, and they picked up Brent Barry to come off the bench and be Brent Barry. If Deke comes back they're like two deep at every position.

And I hate to be the one saying it, but this is still Tracy McGrady's team, and what I mean by that is, the man STILL can't get out of the first round. If he doesn't get out of the first round with Artest, Yao, Scola, Alston, etc................ can we officially call him the Lex Luger of the NBA?

Also, Luol Deng has reportedly agreed to re-sign with the Bulls for six years in the $70 million range.

Taking a quick look around the league. Up to half the teams in the league have a pretty good trio. From Boston's big three, to LA's big three and more, there's gonna be quite an interesting look around the league once the damn season get's started.

Although, for my money, I'm still gonna go with Boston having the best big three of the bunch.

I like how in the ESPN article, Artest basically says that while Yao's played with a ton of black guys, he'd be the first "nigga" Yao played with. Nice.

Philadelphia Daily News says Lou Williams is re-signing with the Sixers for five years.

Bulls waive JamesOn Curry.

Josh Howard was arrested today for drag racing with one of his friends in Winston-Salem.

Don Nelson won his arbitration case against Mark Cuban.

Earl Boykins signed a 1-year deal with Italy's Virtus Bologna for $3.5 million, which makes him the highest paid player in Italy.

Also, this would never happen, but a source close to LeBron says he would consider going to Europe if he was paid at least $50 million a year.

What's the max an NBA player can get? like 20-something million a year? when you factor in the major difference in value, economy, taxes, 50 million a year is more like 70 or 80 million American a year. There's no doubt in my mind Lebron would do that, since he's flat out said, becoming a Global Icon is one of his major goals.

The new schedule has been released. Opening night is Cleveland @ Boston, Milwaukee @ Chicago and Portland @ LA Lakers.

There are now 5 games as Christmas Day, as opposed to the usual 3.

New Orleans @ Orlando at noon on ESPN

Spurs @ Suns and Celtics @ Lakers on ABC

Washington @ Cleveland and Dallas @ Portland on TNT. ESPN, stop using DeShawn Stevenson to hype games. He stinks.

Also, these are the Pacers' first four games:

@ Detroit

vs Boston

vs Phoenix

@ Cleveland

That's just cruel.

Also, the Pacers are now saying they're not going to buy out Jamaal Tinsley, meaning we're probably stuck with him for another year since no other team wants him. The good news just keeps pouring in!

What's the max an NBA player can get? like 20-something million a year? when you factor in the major difference in value, economy, taxes, 50 million a year is more like 70 or 80 million American a year. There's no doubt in my mind Lebron would do that, since he's flat out said, becoming a Global Icon is one of his major goals.

Jordan became a global icon by winning six titles in eight years and being the best player in the history of the sport, all on American soil. (Well except for the two Gold Medals, but you see the point) LeBron's best chance is here in the states.

Jordan became a global icon by winning six titles in eight years and being the best player in the history of the sport, all on American soil. (Well except for the two Gold Medals, but you see the point) LeBron's best chance is here in the states.

Yeah, but he wants to become the first athlete worth a billion or something like that. That's his ultimate goal and he's stated it in interviews before.

Guest Cal Moriarty

LeBron James is really kind of obnoxious, and will never be the next Michael Jordan, because Jordan's dumbass tendencies were better kept under wraps. LeBron is just openly unlikable. Go make a billion dollars in Europe for all I care, you pan-faced douche.

Yeah, but he wants to become the first athlete worth a billion or something like that. That's his ultimate goal and he's stated it in interviews before.

WTF? That's a pretty crass statement. Besides, Tiger Woods will be sports' first billionaire, and it won't even be a close race.

Man, OKC opens the season at home against the Bucks. I bet I can't get ahold of tickets to that though, I wish I could.

Also, I wonder how the OKC fans are going to react to the Hornets? Do they cheer for them or boo them or give them the ovation before the game and then stop when the game starts?

LeBron James is really kind of obnoxious, and will never be the next Michael Jordan, because Jordan's dumbass tendencies were better kept under wraps. LeBron is just openly unlikable. Go make a billion dollars in Europe for all I care, you pan-faced douche.

Actually, I'd say what makes LeBron so unlikable/uncompelling on a personal level is his near-total lack of dumbass tendencies, or any other indicator of basic humanity. Everything he does just seems so completely stage-managed.

Guest Cal Moriarty

Actually, I'd say what makes LeBron so unlikable/uncompelling on a personal level is his near-total lack of dumbass tendencies, or any other indicator of basic humanity. Everything he does just seems so completely stage-managed.

I disagree. Look back to that Yankees-Indians game in October, when he showed up wearing a Yankees hat in Cleveland. Sideline reporter (I think it was Sager?) was like "wait, what are you doing, shouldn't you be supporting the hometown team?" and LeBron was like "pffff I don't care I like winning teams like the Yankees and Cowboys" and then a bunch of Clevelanders totally lost their shit that their franchise athlete couldn't be arsed to show some civic pride, and everyone else just kind of rolled their collective eyes. Jordan was stage-managed to be perfect; it wasn't till much later that all the cracks started developing. With a 24-hour sports news cycle and the beloved sports-focused spin-off of a Manhattan gossip site, no athlete's missteps or indiscretions will ever be masked or managed ever again.

Can you imagine the sheer chaos that would ensue if LeBron went to Europe?

I'd laugh and be grateful for the damage it would cause the NBA.

LeBron does sort of strike me as a guy who's more concerned with marketing himself and making money than he is about winning titles. Wade, as well. That's kind of why I prefer Kobe to them; Kobe may have been a ball hog in the beginning, but I don't think his commitment to the game was ever a question.