Maurice Lucas, PF

ABA All-Rookie Second Team (1974)

ABA All-Star (1976)

4-time NBA All-Star (1977–79, 1983)

1 NBA Championship (1977)

All-NBA Second Team (1978)

All-NBA-Defense First Team (1978)

All-NBA-Defense Second Team (1979)

Named one of the 30 Greatest Players in ABA History (1997)

A 20-10 guy in his prime, as well as a fierce defensive presence and all-around intimidator. He was Charles Oakley before Charles Oakley.

For his whole career i wouldn't consider him, but since we're taking guys in their prime i'll draft:

3-time College Player of the Year

NBA Rookie of the Year

225px-Ralph-Sampson.jpg

Ralph Sampson

Taking the Sampson from his first 3 years in the league, gives me either an excellent backup center or i can stick him at PF alongside Mikan giving me a hell of a front court. I expect i'm probably reaching quite a bit taking him at this stage, but a 7'4" center with the agility, skill and clutch shooting Sampson possessed before his body broke down is something i can't pass up.

If you guys are wondering why some posts are missing, I made them invisible because there was some confusion over the draft order. To clarify, it's MFer up now with two picks, followed by 909, Roy, and VX. I'll add Chris and Cuban's picks back in after those, assuming those guys are still on the board.

Sorry guys, Comcast's on some stupid maintenance shit in the area so I had to wait to use my school's computer. Anyways, I'm gonna beef up my frontline some more with two great defensive players.

t1_ben.wallace.jpg

Ben Wallace

4-time NBA All-Star

4-time NBA Defensive Player of the Year

3-time All-NBA 2nd Team

2-time All-NBA 3rd Team

5-time All-NBA Defensive 1st Team

1-time All-NBA Defensive 2nd Team

Only player in NBA history to record 1,000 rebounds, 100 blocks, and 100 steals in 4 straight seasons

250px-Eaton.jpg

Mark Eaton

1-time NBA All-Star

2-time NBA Defensive Player of the Year

3-time All-NBA Defensive 1st Team

2-time All-NBA Defensive 2nd Team

NBA's all-time leader in blocked shots per game (3.5)

It would've been sweet to have the all-time steals per game leader in Robertson to go with Eaton, but oh well, I'm more than happy to have Big Ben (who I could use as a PF) on my squad. The downside to this is that both of these guys are pretty much black holes on offense, but fuck it, I've got some offensive guys now and I can get some later.

I thought about taking two other guys, one of which is probably easy to guess. When they're both picked, I'll say so. It's possible one makes it all the way back to me.

250px-Eaton.jpg

Mark Eaton

1-time NBA All-Star

FUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

You just took my favorite player in the history of everything.

*cries*

250px-Eaton.jpg

Mark Eaton

1-time NBA All-Star

FUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

You just took my favorite player in the history of everything.

*cries*

Remember that basketball card where he's in his warmups stretching, and it was taken facing up at him? For some reason that's the card I remember the most. Was is a fisheye?

I think it was.

He also had a kick ass public service announcement that started filming at his feet and went up and he was leaning over the cameraman and said something like "If you think I'm intimidating, how do you think your kids feel?"

I'm sure there was a couple of other centers in the league that had similar commercials.

Well, my other guy made it back to me! I've had this guy tabbed here since about the second round. I'm kind of surprised to not have to go to one of my back up choices, but maybe this guy is a bit overlooked due to the fact that he had to retire at the age of 29 due to a major back injury. But in his 8 healthy years in the league he was a force.

daugherty01.jpg

Brad Daugherty, C

Career Averages of 19 pts, 9.5 rbds, 3.7 assists, .532 FG%. 7 ft, 240-245, he adds some size for me behind the smaller Reed and Lucas, and was an excellent low post player, passer and mid-range shooter. Solid defender too, though not a prolific shot blocker.

Guest Vitamin X

a_blaylock_i.jpg

G Mookie Blaylock

1x NBA All-Star

2x NBA All-Defensive First Team

4x NBA All-Defensive Second Team

Ranks 15th all-time in career three-point field goals made (1,283).

Ranks 26th all-time in career assists (5,972).

Ranks 27th all-time in career assists per game (6.7).

Ranks 11th all-time in career steals (2075).

Ranks 7th all-time in career steals per game (2.3).

Led the NBA in steals two years in a row (1996–97 and 1997–98), joining Alvin Robertson and Magic Johnson as the only players to pull off that feat.

Led the NBA in three-point attempts and finished second in three-pointers made in the 1996–97 season.

A 6 ft 1 in (1.85 m) push-and-pass point guard, he was rated among the better defensive stoppers in the game. The former University of Oklahoma star is most highly regarded for his quick hands and a ball hawking defensive style that produced more than 200 steals in a season four times and two NBA All-Defensive first-team selections. He was also a capable outside shooter, a fine passer who generally ranked among the league's assist leaders, and a durable instigator of the fast break

As one of the more underrated guards to play the game, and wanting more DEFENSE~, Mookie was the guy I was looking to. I'm coming to realize I have something of a boner for the 90's Hawks right now, with Dominique, Wilkens (who was the coach then), and now Mookie, but they were a hell of a fun team to watch, and Blaylock was an excellent floor general. He does exactly what I want my team's guards to do- set up the plays, take an occasional deep momentum-changing 3-pointer, and feed the ball to the amazing frontcourt so they can take care of business. And then, get the stops on defense, generate turnovers, and move quick on fastbreaks. Blaylock might actually represent my team's quintessential guard more than any other player on my team so far.

Like some of you have stated, I really didn't want to build a team around a coach's certain style, so I'll just pick one whom I believe could competently lead the group I have right now. As it stands, I already have Russell, who won two titles as a player/coach, so my floor leadership is solid. But seeing as how I have a lot of guys who were high scorers and a guy like Russell who was great at initiating the break, I figured Nellie would be the best fit out of the coaches left available. Sorry to all you guys who were planning on picking him as a player, ha!

COACH - DON NELSON

nelson-don.jpg

Sixth-winningest coach in NBA history ... Has served 20 years as NBA head coach with Milwaukee, Golden State, New York and Dallas ... Joins Pat Riley as the only coaches ever to be named Coach of the Year three times (1982-83, 1984-85 and 1991-92) ... His clubs have recorded nine 50-plus-win seasons and seven divisional championships.

Guest Vitamin X

Bastard! That's who I was going to take..

Back to the drawing board...

I guess it's time to select a coach. I'm going to go with someone who preaches team basketball and defense. With Malone, Barry, James, Billups, and Cowens, I have a pretty good passing team. Malone, Cowens, and Billups are good defenders (even James isn't bad), and Barry is a good team defender. This coach should maximize their potential playing together as a team on both ends of the court:

holzman_history.jpg

Red Holzman.

2 Time Champ

Coach of the year in 1970

One of the Ten Greatest Coaches

Ok after MUCH thought into which direction to go in (my ideal 6th man who may or may not be around when I pick again or the guy I really want on my team), I've decided:

The guy who Isiah feared, who got drafted before Bird, who Magic couldn't guard.../AKA the definition of prime over longevity...

260sugarrayyz1.jpg

Micheal Ray Richardson. G

- The perfect pooint guard to bring in off the bench. He was an elite defender (2 time all-Defensive first team; 2nd all time in steals per game; led the NBA in steals in 4 of his 8 NBA seasons), a phenomenal passer (won the assist title in his 2nd season; top 10 in 3 other seasons) and could score, almost, at will when he wanted too. He was clutch and a great leader (one of the main reasons the "never won a NBA playoff series before" Nets upset the defending champion 76'ers with Erving/Moses). His only downfall is his off-court drug use but there are enough strong character guys on the team to keep him in line. Coming off the bench for Archibald he'd be great leading the second unit or even playing 2-guard to create an electric backcourt (he was pretty big for a point guard anyway). A steal in my opinion.

Will modify later, but want to keep draft moving:

post-2806-1211334243_thumb.jpg

Dale Ellis/G-F/Seattle Sonics

19,000 career points

.403 3 pt. percentage

25.6 PPG average between 1986-87 thru 1989-90

Horace Grant Forward/Center

6'10" - 215 lbs

horace_grant_small.jpg

One of Phil Jackson's favorite players. A great defensive player who can come in at the 4 or the 5. He fits the team well, I think, and brings a real positive vibe to the club.

1994 All Star Game

4 Time All Defensive 2nd Team

Averaged 2 Blocks Per Game

22nd all time in win shares (career)

4 Time Champ

6 Time Finalist

Great Field Goal Percentage

Has been the third option in the triangle before

Played with Shaq in Orlando!

Also, here's one with goggles on.

magic_hgrant_98.jpg

Drazen Petrovic - Shooting Guard

petrovic42540209179yq.jpg

1 Olympic Bronze metal in basketball

2 Olympic Silver metals in basketball

1 FIBA Gold metal

1 FIBA Bronze metal

1 FIBA European Championship Gold metal

1 FIBA European Championnship Bronze metal

YUBA most points scored by an individual in a league game (112)

ACB most points scored by an individual in a final series game (42)

ACB most 3PT field goals made by an individual in a final series game (8)

NBA 1991-92 second highest 3PT field goal percentage (.444)

NBA 1991-92 fourth highest field goal percentage among guards (.508)

NBA 1992-93 second highest 3PT field goal percentage (.449)

NBA 1992-93 second highest field goal percentage among guards (.518)

NBA most 3PT field goals made with none missed in a three-game playoff series (2; tied with two other)

NBA third best career 3PT field goal percentage (.437)

All-NBA third team in 1993

Petro provides great shooting for my team. His deadly outside shooting would negate a zone defense or doubling any of my frontcourt. He had a reputation around the league as tough competitor and great teammate, both of which would make a great role player on my team. In his international games, he played the point a lot, and his passing skills would be helpful.

I almost took Drazen a couple rounds ago when I took Reggie. I love Reggie though, so he got the nod in tragic basketball player that I'm going to draft at this moment.