TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Smues

The Highschool Thread

Guest Smues

Let's move on to highschool. Middle school is evil (EVIL!) but High School was an enjoyable period of my life. Sure there were sucky parts, but most of that was related to trying and failing with various women, and that's a lot better pain then the bullshit you go through in middle school.

My first few months of Freshmen year I was still quite the miserable fellow thanks to middle school, and I did some stupid things, like get suspended. Well, in reality I got a few days of detention, but in the vice principle in charge of disciplines words "Well I'm just going to suspend you for a day instead, because that's less paperwork for me." Asshat. But I kind of changed after that and was a much better behavied person, and generally a happier kid as well.

I'll have some actual stories later, and I suppose most of you probably have some interesting ones as well, since wierd/interesting shit tends to happen in High School. And I think there are some posters here still in highschool, so feel free to talk/bitch about it here.

There were plenty of bad parts in high school, but truthfully it was the first time I was ever happy, in a social sense. I finally got some friends, a girlfriend, some hobbies which didn't involve sitting alone in my room, etcetera. There were parts which made me briefly contemplate suicide, but overall it was a hell of a lot better than any other school experience up to that point. Ironically, I've got my ten-year reunion coming up in a couple months, I'm mostly looking forward to it.

High school was fun, especially my senior year when I decided to stop giving a shit.

I really didn't get the full high school experience like I should have. Most of that can be attributed to the fact that I was a loner (and still am to a certain degree). I got along with pretty much everyone but had no relationships outside of class, sports, band, etc...I never went out the weekends, only went to one Homecoming and Sadies each (both freshman year, both alone), and didn't go to Prom. I was WAY to shy to even think about talking to girls beyond a superficial level. I was also a slacker in H.S.; I always had high standardized test scores, but my grades weren't nearly as high cuz I was so fucking lazy. Sports went well for me though; I had my fair share of awards and accomplishments. Overall, high school wasn't all that bad for me, but I was ready to get on outta there.

Ok, where should I start...

I had to quit High School Football because I was diagnosed with Irritable Bowel Syndrome. That was one of the worst fuckin' days of my life. Football was great. I played against one NFL player (that being Eric Weddle), and I played with a few guys who could be playing football on Sundays in the future.

Freshman year rocked. I mean, in comparison to the other three years. It was great, I had no worries...but I was young, and dumb. I made some mistakes.

Continuing on with the worst fuckin' days of my life thing, I lost a best friend because I made an awful decision in regards to his girlfriend, which I've talked about before. I got beat up for it, too. Sophomore year was the worst year of my life, and it still bothers me to this very day.

Junior year was alright because I fought a few people and kicked their asses. But, that's about all the good that came out of it. Had awful experiences with girls then...it's a wonder I'm not a homo or something. Looking back, in some cases, I tried too hard. In others, I didn't say the right things, act how I should have...in others, I didn't try enough.

I missed so much school when I was a Senior that the whole year was like a blur to me. I wish I had gone more often, but with that whole IBS thing, it was kinda hard.

High School was pretty good for me except I have a lot of regrets about it. I was a pretty good student. Got good grades, all the teachers liked me, had some friends. But I wish I would have experienced it better. I wish I went to the parties and play sports. It was the first time and only time i've been in love. Of course that got shot down Senior year when she accused me of stalking and got another guy. Looking back at it now, I probably was but fuck it. Besides that, Senior year was my favortie. I met a lot of cool people, went to prom, helped people by cheating on tests and homework. You know If I was smart enough, I could have made some good money there.

As for stories, Not too many I can remember right now. Had some teacher drop dead in the middle of class of a heart attack. I wasn't there though. Also saw some kid do a big ass line of coke and then pass out in the bathroom. I miss those years. Most of the people from my graduating class are either: Married with Kids, In Iraq, Druggies, complete losers like myself or dead.

Oh I remember another story, Senior year I got good grades. A and B's in all my classes. Despite this, I almost didn't graduate. Why? Because of Florida's shitty standardized tests. I failed that bitch 5 times. I suck at tests and especially match. The reading part i passed on the first try no problem. Luckly I was in the SLD Freshmen year and that got me a pass. I had a lot of friends that were on the honor roll that didn't graduate because of that shitty rule.

Freshman year can be summed up in a sentence:

One day, I got reaaaaally stoked because someone said I looked like Fred Durst.

Yep.

Around sophomore year, I started hanging out with the skateboarders and completely changed the way I dressed, the music I listened to, the way I acted around people, etc. I got out of listening to Limp Bizkit, and started listening to Bowie, Iggy Pop, Joy Division and New Order. I stopped dressing like a douche bag and developed my own kind of style, and I got a lot more confident. It was pretty much good and bad until Senior year when it became really good. A lot of hot girls liked me, I got invited to parties, and I was on pretty much everyone's good side in the school

My grades sucked, though. Probably cos I didn't give a shit.

Freshman year was tight, if only because it was that much better than middle school. I liked the bulk of my classes, actually did my work, and got in one fight that actually ended because the cops showed up. This big fucking douchebag (who I hear is a horrible, life-wrecking alcoholic now, so I actually got the last laugh) was giving me shit one day, so I told him to knock it off or I'd kick his ass. We agreed to fight later that week. I show up alone, he brings two friends (who I'd actually known since pre-school), and then my buddy Jeff (who was crazy and could probably have taken all three of them by himself) walked by and decided to watch my back. Kid swung twice, I dodged both and just started laughing at him, just making fun of him because he was acting all big and bad and here I was, a fucking lame-ass "goth kid" (I never understood how somebody who wore Metallica/Slayer shirts and torn bluejeans could be considered goth, but oh well), making him look like an ass. He got one shot in on me, off the side of my head, and I just got into his face and stared at him. He locked me in a headlock and then ended up dragging me to an area of the parking lot where we started blocking cars, so somebody called the cops. He was choking me pretty good, and I hooked his knee and was about to flip him up and into the wall when the cops showed up. Him and his friends bailed, I just told the cops we were fucking around, and that was that. The next day he was acting all tough and shit...until I told people that he ran when the cops showed and I stuck around. We just stayed out of each other's ways after that, but I know for a fact that if the cops didn't show up he'd have a nice couple of scars from getting his head slammed into a brick wall.

Sophomore year was fine for the first half. Then my Honors World History teacher, who acted more like a little puppy than she did a person, gave me shit grades even though I did most of my homework, got at least a B on every test, and at least a B+ on every term paper. That's about the time I stopped giving a shit at all. Towards the end of the year I was also involved in my first little love triangle, possibly my only, as there were two chicks I had the hots for, who were both friends, and both had a thing for me, but only one of them acted on it at all...while the other was passed out on my couch. So their friendship ended, and so began a lot of shit between me and the other one. We had a sorta on-again/off-again relationship up until just before my current relationship started, when she was dating my best friend and then broke his heart, so I told her to fuck off. So yeah...one afternoon of sexual experimentation while watching Dead Alive in March '02 lead to 3 1/2 years of constant flirting and occasional hook-up's before ultimately mutual distaste. That summer was great, though, as me and a couple of my other friends spent almost every night staying out until dawn and just chilling at one another's houses in the driveways.

Junior year sucked. I decided to give myself a mohawk one weekend while the folks were away about a week before school started and it came out looking like shit, but I kept it a little and tried to make it work anyway. It didn't, so I had about one year of short hair in high school. I had two friends (Timmy and the aforementioned Jeff - who were cousins, ironically enough) and my grandfather die all within 6 months of one another (Timmy in November, Jeff in February, and my grandfather in April), so if my sophomore History class didn't kill my ambition, that certainly did. I wish it didn't, because I was involved in DECA, which is a sorta business class for high school kids, and the teacher said that I was the only one who really got the material, but I never did any work beyond what was just passing. Me and that girl tried a serious relationship, but that lasted all of about four days before she said she wanted to date somebody else. That summer was decent, but in hindsight it was pretty shitty since I got together with my now-ex (Heather) and didn't do much else.

Senior year was, as it is for most, the fuck-all year. I had nothing but bullshit classes since I decided about halfway through junior year that I wasn't going to college, but I almost failed. See, Franklin school requirements say 3 years of health/gym, and in order to pass either the grade requirements changed about twice every schoolyear. First it was you just had to show up for gym, then it was you had to show up and participate at least once every activity, then it was you had to show up and be dressed appropriately all the time, then it was you had to show up dressed proper for physical activity AND pass the standardized physical tests (run the mile in under 13 min, mostly). And health was just dumb, considering it was the same "don't smoke, don't drink, don't do drugs, be abstinent" BS that's been forced down our throats, but with the added bonus of "current events" (which was a 3-page paper due every three weeks on a current health-related newsbit). They kept changing the criteria, so I failed health junior year and had to repeat it senior year, so that was fun. And I had an English teacher that was a bi-polar mess who I argued with every single class, even going so far as to call her a cunt. She tried to congratulate me when I graduated, but I just showed her my diploma, gave her the finger, and walked to my car to grab my cigarettes. Well...I wish, anyway. In actuality the last time I saw her was the last day of classes, when she was crying hysterically because she said we were her favorite class, and I just started laughing. Luckily, she couldn't do shit, because the bell rang and I was already gone. And then my friend Tina died that summer.

So yeah. High school was meh. I don't talk to anybody I did then, maybe 2 or 3 people regularly, but at least it wasn't middle school.

Junior Year. I was in some BS class about Business Management, which was an easy A class. We're stuck in this this temporary class room. To know when to dismiss the class, the teacher stopped class about a couple of minutes early, we'd gather our books and wait at the door, watching to see when the gym class that period would get out. Well one day (some time after Columbine, just to put a time frame on this) we gather like usual at the door. We look and there's nobody at the gym. We stand there for 5 minutes, and we're all pleading with the teacher to let us leave because it's time to get to our next class. He won't let us. Finally, after 10 mins of standing there, the assistant principal comes up and yells

"What are you doing here, we have a fire drill. Take your stuff and go across the street to the Community College"

That being odd in that normally in fire drills, we go to the parking lot of our school. We gather our stuff and go across the street. I meet up with some buddies who explain that it was a bomb threat and not a fire alarm. Apparently some kid (who was in my AP History class before dropping out completly) decided that he wanted his buddies home from school and called it in from a gas station. There was a big shit storm at our school because we were left there for somewhere in the range of 30-45 mins before anybody ever came by.

This kid at my high school used to try and beat up the teachers and faculty, but would always get taken down by our ex-Marine Vice Principal. One day, he walked straight into this dude's office and said, "I have a bomb."

The kid got the shit kicked out of him by a bunch of people when they found out he was lying. I think he's in prison now for beating and molesting a girl.

Highschool wasn't all that memorable for me. Sure, I was a mid-carder as far as popularity goes, but nothing exciting really happened. I was too shy to initiate conversations with girls, and the ones I did talk to were my casual friends. I could have been a solid B+ student but I was too lazy and never did homework, which equated to me being a C student and narrowly passing other classes. The highlight of my tenure was being the guy that's 5'7, 135 pounds at the time fighting a guy 6'1, 185 and winning the fight. He had apparently thought I was spreading rumors about him sleeping with an overweight sped class chick, which never happened. The kicker to this was I found out later he was epileptic, but I had never seen have a seizure.

This kid at my high school used to try and beat up the teachers and faculty

How the hell do you get away with doing that without getting expelled or arrested?

My freshman year was easily the most difficult time of my entire school career. My dad was battling his second bout with brain cancer and died near the end of spring. I was at my heaviest, had a stupid haircut, and wore glasses, the perfect recipe for ridicule. I was lucky in that said ridicule was limited to only a couple of people, but they made it so difficult that I dreaded going to school for a while.

Sophomore year, like every second year I've ever had at a school (and that includes elementary and college), was my favorite. I lost a lot of weight over the summer, got a different hairstyle and was able to generate a lot of new friendships. It also helped that the the freshman, junior, and senior classes during this particularly school year made for the hottest collective group of girls I've ever been around.

Junior year was a mixed bag. Some of those new friendships were tested because of girlfriends and it became clear during this time that while not a kid that attracted torment from anyone, I was something of a social ghost, despite having a good network of friends. I had also lost even more weight during that summer and once again changed my hair.

Senior year was a complete waste. I had one class where I wasn't doing busy work every day and I had finally gotten fed up with the school's treatment of my mother (who taught English there). Walking out of the school on my last day was one of the most gratifying feelings I've ever experienced.

In sum, I never for a moment thought, "These really are the best years of my life." I think they were critical in my development, but I never wish I could go back for a moment. I found you stay in touch with the friends you really want to remain connected to. The rest, you just never see again.

This kid at my high school used to try and beat up the teachers and faculty

How the hell do you get away with doing that without getting expelled or arrested?

His folks had moolah. Oh, he got suspended, but...yeah, that didn't do anything. It wasn't so much trying to beat them up, really, it was more throwing punches.

I actually am starting to think he was autistic.

It still doesn't make sense. At my high school, if you even tried to hit a teacher, you'd probably get expelled for a year and maybe put in jail. Autistic or not, they wouldn't give a fuck, you'd be out the door. And this was at a public school... in a rich neighborhood full of folks with moolah... in Tennessee, Teh Edyacashun Stait. Your school seriously just let a kid swing punches at the teachers with no real punishment?

Freshman year was forgettable, but I really liked the rest of my high school years and I credit that almost completely to my participation in the music department. I wasn't all that good, but I made most of my friends there, was able to travel the country and do something I liked. Nothing beats being turned loose in all the Disney parks for three and a half days (since my group was the last flight out) with your buddies. Senior year, like everyone elses, was for taking classes that intrested me with teachers I liked along with stuff like being a lab assistant so I could be able to either do all my homework or just sleep for an hour.

Pretty much. He got suspended for about two weeks, he came back, and he said "I have a bomb."

I stated it wrong. I made it sound like he did every week. I'm sorry about that.

Also, every four years, there would be a narcotics agent planted in our school because dem rich kids love dem some coke!~ Our senior year, she tried to join up with our skater group, but when she found out all we did was skate and hang out at each others houses, she bailed. AND at the end of Senior year, there was a pretty big drug bust. Something like 15 students or something got arrested for cocaine and marijuana possession. One dude even had the cocaine in his fucking locker.

I come from a weeeeird fuckin' town, man.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

One of the school's dope dealers knifed a kid who threatened to rat on him my 10th grade year. That was pretty awesome.

All the skaters would hang out in the open air lounge area of our school all the time, and once a PTA Board Member came to pick up her son (the lounge was in sight of the principals office) and was outraged that they were wearing such baggy clothes and actually got funding to hand out belts from someplace.

So one day I was walking through the lounge after grabbing a soda (all the vending machines were located there or in another hall, but I didn't feel like walking to the other side of the school) and this lady shoves a belt in my direction.

"For the decency of our school!"

I look down, and my pants are hanging off my hip like usual, but hey, free belt.

Freshman: Uneventful, but better than Middle School, by far. Open campus lunch was the shit. Was relieved to find that I didn't have to shower with other guys in gym class (didn't have to in Middle School, either). Joined the Art Club at the beginning of the semester; quit because I hated most of the people who were part of the club. My art teacher was still awesome, and, before I moved away last year, I would still run into her occasionally and play catch up.

Sophomore: My least favorite year of high school. Skipped class for the first time. It felt good. I missed too many days in my driver's ed class, so I had to make it up during the summer. One day, on the way back from lunch, a police office decided to stuff myself (an white agnostic), my friend Nour (an Egyptian-American Muslim) and my friend Shem (an African-American Christian) in the back of a squad car for walking in the street (even though there was no sidewalk). The joke pretty much writes itself from there. I would go on to contest the ticket that was issued, and the officer blatantly lied about where the ticket was issued (he cited an address that was further down the road that had a sidewalk in front of it).

Junior: Here's where things got interesting for me. Got my first job, working at a movie theater, which I would keep until after high school. Gave me something to do with my time, and now I was around older people who could buy me cigarettes. Also, my first drug dealer worked there too. Started smoking a lot of pot. For the first time I had a real social life, where I would hang out with girls. Got my first car, an '89 Ford Mustang Hatchback, on Valentines Day, and totaled it two days later. Started courting this girl, Lindsay, who was a year younger than me. Really liked her, and managed to get her to go to the Winter Semi-Formal with me. She hemmed and hawed on the issue of actually going out with me, something that would continue through until the end of the summer. Went to prom with a senior, but I wasn't hot for her (not that she was ugly or anything).

My last memory of Junior year was hotboxing a car during lunchtime, and hearing the news that Phil Hartman had been killed. Then I had to go to English class and the teacher decided that I should be the one to start off class by reading a couple of pages out of The Things They Carried. I made it through about two paragraphs before I started busting out laughing (one of the dudes that I smoked with was sitting next to me). The shit I got away with some times...

Senior: Started going out with that Lindsay girl. It never really clicked like it would have had it happened way earlier. Broke up with her after about four months, just after she gave me my Christmas gift. The first of many god-awful breakups. I skipped, literally, hundreds of classes. And all that I got for it was a couple days of Saturday school and maybe a day and a half of in school suspension. Was involved in a love triangle at the end of high school. I worked with this girl who was going out with one of my old buddies from way back when, who treated her like shit. Ultimately she was using me as a pawn, but I didn't care. Finally lost my virginity, the night before senior prom, with her. She still went to prom with him while I got drunk on cheap wine at my closest friend's house (he went to a different school). I signed the lease to my first apartment the morning of high school graduation. I didn't stick around to chat with people after the ceremony or hang out that night. I was just glad to be out.

I like high school. I mean, I don't like class and shit, but I like the people I've met at school. I've met all my friends at high school, I had just moved here in the 8th grade and didn't really meet anyone that year. Making friends post-move was insanely easy once I decided to actually talk to someone, I wish I knew that. Make one friend, and then they introduce you to their friends, and you instantly have a nice group of friends. Oh well. Not too many funny stories to tell about HS really. I dunno. My English teacher last year is in all likelyhood the most attractive female in the entire school, I guess that's interesting. I skip fourth period to hang out in her room all the time.

I can't believe I didn't add this earlier. When I was in the 9th grade, WWE and Steve Austin were really popular. Steve Austin had just won the WWF title at Wrestlemania and people who used to make fun of wrestling were into it. There happened to be a fight that had broken out at another highschool just off the property. and the principal had went to go break it up. In the aftermath, one bright kid decided to sneak up on the principal, put a bag over his head and give him a stunner. Needless to say, he was expelled and arrested. I never ended up meeting the kid but he was a hero for several weeks.

The first day of school, the students English teacher is taking attendance.

Miss Baldassy: Richard?

Richard raises his hand.

Richard: Here.

Miss Baldassy: Do you like Richard?

Richard: I like dick. But yeah, call me Richard.

I graduated from Bloom Trail High School back in Chicago Heights in Illinois in 2000. Here's something interesting. My former high school teacher (who's still working there, BTW) is coming out here to Arizona to look at houses in my hometown of Green Valley.

In my freshman year, we had three high schools in the area. The one I went to, Madison Heights, as well as Anderson and Highland. Anderson High School was closing, so they were going to move half the students into MH, half into Highland, and rename MH into Anderson. So, we had a big festival at the end of the year, with food and games and shit. There was one moment in French class where the teacher told us that sac à dos was the term for backpack, then asked how many of us had one. After those that did raised their hands, a black kid blurted out "bitch, you ain't got no sac à dos!" which caused the class to explode in laughter. Also, a canoe trip at some point. That's about it.

Sophomore year, I got suspended for cussing out another staff member, and got sucker punched by some guy I had pushed into a table after he continually threw wads of paper at me. The guy probably would have kicked my ass, but for some reason he decided not to stick around. My geometry teacher liked to throw erasers at people she caught sleeping in her class. One of my friends was arrested for punching a teacher. That's about it, I guess...I figured I'd have a better memory of high school than this.

Junior year, I got my first job, my driver's license, and my first car, which I wrecked twice in the span of three months. On the last week of school, one of my study hall teachers (I had two study halls in the second semester after dropping physics) who didn't like me for reasons I can't be bothered to remember told us we could bring drinks in on the last day. So I bring a drink, and he tells me I can't have it, saying he would write me up if I didn't give it to him. I opted to keep the drink, and spent the rest of the period in ISD. I attended summer school for the first time between these two years after failing English second semester.

Senior year, I earned my only athletic letter for throwing discus & shot put. I wish I had tried to do it in prior years, because I had a blast. I would often skip Government class, partly because it came right after my Cadet Teaching period and I was traveling from another school, and partly because my teacher was a prick. Ironically, I ended up having to attend on Senior Skip Day to earn extra credit and avoid failing the class. There were a couple memorable moments at the senior prom, one of which was three guys bringing the room to a standstill by doing N*SYNC's "Bye Bye Bye" dance along to the song, and the entire ballroom singing along to "Forgot About Dre."

Overall, the first three years pretty much sucked, but I have plenty of positive memories from my senior year, enough to say I kind of miss high school.

In grade 10, there was some guy who said he was going to kill all the girls and smokers. This was a few months before Columbine, so it didn't seem as serious as it probably would have after that. He got expelled and went to court over it, but most people still went to school on the day he said he was going to do it, but they locked all the classroom doors that day and wouldn't let people in the hall during classes. His name was Brian, or something, but they gave him the nickname 'Tim-Dog', which lead to a lot of people calling me that, too. Including some retards who thought we were the same guy.

In grade 12, there was a girl who dropped out because of movies we had to watch in English class. Like Kenneth Branagh's Frankenstein, where she gets her heart ripped out. There was an article about it online a few years ago, but I can't find it now.

Holy shit. High school has been crazy. By the way, I'm 18 and graduating in 2 days. During middle school fucking Lee Malvo got caught 10 miles from my middle school, I think he was coming for ours next but whatever. Some crazy shit haha.

High school has been awesome. Lots of parties, lots of friends, just good times really. Socially, I came into my own about 8th grade so I really "flourished" in high school. I loved my time but i'm not some jock who will cherish football for the rest of my life. Regardless, the friends I had for just high school have been great, and I've made one or two that I think I'll try to keep for life. Shit...since i'm living it right now it's crazy haha. Sorry this is stupid but i'm drunk right now.... Came back from an awesome party, y'all can make fun of me for whatever I don't give a fuck cause I'm a cool guy. Anyway, high school has been great, I think college will be fun.

Hope you all had good times, and if not, make fun of me for being drunk/sounding like a stupid high schooler.

My high school experience was a real roller coaster of ups and downs.

I fondly remember my freshmen year, even though I fully realize that I didn't think it was so great at the time. It was a really simple year, I wasn't actively pursuing any girls (in school at least, there was a girl in my local theater group who I was really into and to this day I believe had we seen more of each other we would've ended up dating). But most of my freshmen year I just remember having a good time with my friends, having fun being immature, playing lots of great video games, listening to a lot of at-the-time-great music that I wouldn't have enjoyed if I was older (Blink 182, anyone?), and just having a minimum of responsibilities.

My sophomore year I was more angsty. It was the first time in my life where I actually felt low because I was failing with the ladies. A lot of my friends had a revolving door of girlfriends, which bugged me at the time. My lack of women troubles ended towards the end of the school year, but I was frustrated a lot. I also remember this period for being frustrated with my home life also, as I wasn't getting along with my mom anymore and this was probably my most awkward year.

The first half of my junior year had the same awkwardness from sophomore year carry over. For the first time there was one particular girl at school I was interested in. And she was something else, as far as playing mind games and everything. She would drop hints that she was interested in me too (at one point flat out saying it and other times she'd want to kiss me) and then other times she'd act like I was a complete afterthought. This semester also became annoying when my best friend decided he liked her too, and it lead to a lot of tension. Towards the end of that semester things came to a boiling point, as this girl was also bi-polar, and she told me off one night. She quickly apologized for it, but by that point I'd had enough and I moved on, which lead to the second half of junior year...

... which was freaking fantastic. Just an all around good time.

Senior year was interesting. I had a long term girlfriend who I'd hooked up with over the summer and we had a hard time adjusting to being a couple in the high school environment. All summer we'd been alone at her house, and it had been wonderful. It didn't help that I discovered what a huge flirt she was with other guys. We had a bumpy relationship until a rather dramatic/ugly/dragged out break up in the spring. I feel annoyed looking back that so much of what should've been my grandest year of high school was spent on dealing with her and all the different dramatic shit she played (for the first time in my life, I was the target of school-wide gossip). Luckily after the break-up, I was able to have a strong finish to high school, with my group of friends who I'd unfortunately not been spending enough time with up to that point.

High school was overall a great experience for me, although in the midst of junior year I was faced with the worst thing I've ever dealt with in my life (completely unrelated to school life or work).

Freshman year was an easy transition from junior high for me. I was already friends with a core of juniors and seniors due to people who worked at my family bakery, so there I was as a freshman rubbing elbows with varsity cheerleaders in addition to my lifelong friends. The fact that I knew a lot of people already helped my friends out too, as friends from one group became friendly with the other, and caused a melting pot of a group. Also, the vice principal from our junior high transitioned over to the high school as an administrative assistant, and I had a good rapport with him after an incident back in junior high where he tried to unjustly suspend me. Once that had been worked out he went out of his way to accomodate me. That's what led to me switching my algebra class freshman year (into one with my friends), and that teacher wound up becoming a good friend and a nice source of wrestling info, because he got the Wrestling Observer Newsletter and would make a copy of it every week for me so that I could stay up on the dirt (and since I was a freshman in 1994-1995, this was a little while before the internet news explosion). We also had a walkout freshman year, because the aforementioned administrative assistant was going to be terminated (the administration at the high school was always a joke, a rotating door of principals and vice principals all with their heads up their asses). About 200 kids, myself included, walked out in protest, but it didn't get us anywhere. He was gone a few weeks later.

Sophmore year was probably my favorite year. Many friends had graduated, but for the older friends who left, I made some really good friends out of people in the freshman class. I wound up doing my friend a favor and taking his sister to the Christmas Ball, while in the meantime had a crush on one of the freshman girls that had started hanging out with my group. When I set my sights on her, my friends sister got jealous and tried to run interference, but didn't succeed. I wound up getting the girl after a short chase, and that friend of mine and his sister BOTH came out of the closet years later, as I've since found out...although you could sort of see it coming with the kid in my class. My g/f and I had a great time at the Sophmore Semi-Formal (which to this day was my favorite of all the high school dances), more friends graduated, but all in all it was probably the most fun I had had thus far.

Junior year started off pretty "meh"...over the summer I had broken up with the aforementioned g/f, who was my whole "high school sweetheart/puppy love" g/f. A bit of the on again, off again chase ensued, although early in the year she started dating a freshman douchebag. This led to an incident where he, on crutches no less, started trash talking me, and then his own girlfriends sister (calling her a cunt, no less) in an effort to prove he was some sort of Alpha Male. In one of the most hilarious, yet dickheadish moves in my life, I kicked the crutches out from under him, knocking him to the ground, and was about to wail on him until I was stopped by one of my best friends, a football player who was dating my exes sister. He opted to finish the matter in defense of his g/f, and suffice to say the relationship between that kid and my ex didn't last.

Tragedy struck soon after though, because my cousin (and in reality, more like an older brother given how close we were) was found shot at his place of business due to what's been called a botched robbery attempt. Keep in mind I found this information out during homecoming, and had a breakdown in front of my group of friends, who all knew my cousin personally and knew how hard this was for me. To this day, the case remains unsolved, but I'll never forget how my friends stuck by me during that time, because it was the worst thing I'd ever gone through to this day. Even my then-ex, who was spending a ton of time with me and even showing signs of caring for me as more than a friend couldn't bring me out of my funk though.

Around holiday time, I started having feelings for the sister of a girl who didn't go to our school, but knew a few of my friends. Little did I know that the older sister had a thing for me, and this led to a feud between the sisters for my affection. When I asked the younger one to my Christmas Ball, you'd think I'd have caused World War 3. In a swerve of Russo proportions, I wound up taking the older one, as a friend, because she forbade her sister to go with me and caused a scene. Figuring that I could take her, have a good time, and prove my worth for her sister, I said we could go. This girl tried to ruin my night at every turn, so I ditched her right after dinner and went and hung out and danced with my friends.

It was also around this time that I got closer with a few more people in the senior class (an extended group of the seniors I was already "in" with). This led to a fling with a senior girl, complete with taking her to my junior prom and going to her senior prom. Suffice to say, she turned out to be a HUGE bitch who was trying to use me to get back at someone, so I cut her off and wound up briefly dating a girl I had dated in 8th grade (and the aftermath of that relationship saw us not even talk again until junior year). Junior year I also wound up having another algebra class with my freshman year teacher, and my English teacher junior year was also a huge influence and help...the both of them went out of their way for me, especially after my cousins death. They'd always go to bat for me if I was ever in need of it, and there were occasions during this year that I was. A bunch of senior friends, wanting to have their last hurrah, forged a group of prank pullers, doing things that ranged from saran wrapping someone's new car in the parking lot during gym class, to placing raw fish in heating vents, to baby oil on the stairs. Some stuff was hysterical, and some stuff crossed the line. Junior year I was a science tech (essentially a teachers aid) during my study periods, and the teacher would give me signed hall passes to use whenever I wanted to get out of a study. So of course I took initiative and began selling them for $5 a pop. Sophmore and junior year we also had a football pool that we never got busted for because we had a few teachers in on it. Suffice to say though, my affiliation with some of these kids ticked off the new administration, made up now of a former history teacher who became a total asshole the moment he got power, and his vice principal, my former 8th grade science teacher. This led to her pulling me out of a class one day and accusing me of paintballing the guidance office (which I didn't, but knew was going to be done). In a moment of rebellion, I asked her what she had been smoking, and telling her that she was full of shit that she knew I did it. She threatened to go to the police, but since I knew all the cops (my father was a fireman in our town) I told her to go right ahead, because they'd all vouch for me and tell her the same thing. This led to a feud that lasted until the day I graduated.

Senior year started off strong...easy classes, I was again a science tech, had a ton of friends and underlings in the other classes...and then I needed a surgery that was though to be minor, but left me out of school from October to December. I got tutored in that time and passed everything with flying colors though, so there were no academic setbacks. I also became the mentor for a Japanese exchange student and helped his transition to America and our school. Though I haven't seen him in years, I know that he wound up moving here not long after his return to Japan, and still lives around here now. Senior year also marked a major stunt on my part, as my g/f the latter half of the year (who went to a different school) couldn't go to my senior prom due to a wedding in Ohio that she was in for her cousin. So instead of going as friends with someone, I skipped the dance, but our statewide newspaper, who was doing an article on our prom in their Local News section, interviewed me for the article, and did a whole writeup on how I wasn't going to settle for just taking anyone, prom is a lasting memory, etc. etc. etc. It scored some major brownie points with the gal when she came back after the weekend away for the wedding, and I don't regret the decision in the slightest. It makes for a nice story.

I've actually still got a ton of footage I filmed during high school on tape. I used to bring my video camera to dances, events, and even just wandering around the halls with it. I should go back and watch those someday soon, because there's some hysterical stuff on there. Not to mention that my ten year reunion is coming up, so it'll be nice to remind myself of some of the stupid things we all did and have a conversation piece.