TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DrVenkman PhD

News You Can (barely) Use

Jim Ross posted a blog on his personal website saying that he didn't find out he was being moved to Smackdown until the announcement was made on television. Ross said he was not happy with the assignment change and contemplated retirement instead of starting his new assignment.

He said after talking to his wife, he decided to man up and do the job asked of him. He promised to do the best he can with Mick Foley and not "phone it in". The move was explained to Ross as needing his voice when Smackdown moves to MyNetworkTV in the fall.

Yeah, I read that on another board I'm on. I wouldnt've been upset had JR chosen to retire.

From WON today

"There reportedly was an exchange after the show when Ross turned down the invitation to fly on the corporate plane from San Antonio to Houston for Smackdown, which he was suddenly broadcasting, and where McMahon told him that he (Vince) risked his life on the show and how he ruined his son-in-laws life (a line that everyone was laughing about because it took people all of five minutes to figure out how the move greatly benefitted HHH’s personal life) for the company."

Between this and the 5 or 6 WWE Long term high ranking employees leaving....

:)

Likely poached from a pay site, so I'm not going to link the board I'm gleaning this from -

-- WWE's thinking about letting Umaga cut his own promos on television. There have been discussions regarding the possibility. People are buzzing backstage that Umaga will reveal his ability to speak English soon.

-- Former TNA wrestler Ron Killings should be debuting on television next month. At last word, the creative team will let him use his "The Truth" nickname. It should be noted that he's been coming out to his old TNA theme music -- which he owns. He's been working dark matches & house show events since late March.

I wonder how far they'll go with "de-savaging" Umaga considering he has went out of his way with tattooes to live the gimmick.

Regarding Killings, that's good news as well because Kwik Killings was a horrid name. I'm surprised TNA didn't have "The Truth" trademarked. There was a rumor that Killings could debut teaming with D'Lo, I don't know how much I'd like that. Killings is a shit rapper though, hopefully they don't go that route with him.

I wonder how far they'll go with "de-savaging" Umaga considering he has went out of his way with tattooes to live the gimmick.

I've had the idea since he debuted that he should just be the 'savage' while wrestling, and then in any backstage segment he can be himself. Kind of like the Festus gimmick where competing turns him into the 'savage'. Might be too confusing, but it appears funny in my head.

Likely poached from a pay site, so I'm not going to link the board I'm gleaning this from -

-- WWE's thinking about letting Umaga cut his own promos on television. There have been discussions regarding the possibility. People are buzzing backstage that Umaga will reveal his ability to speak English soon.

-- Former TNA wrestler Ron Killings should be debuting on television next month. At last word, the creative team will let him use his "The Truth" nickname. It should be noted that he's been coming out to his old TNA theme music -- which he owns. He's been working dark matches & house show events since late March.

Regarding Killings, that's good news as well because Kwik Killings was a horrid name. I'm surprised TNA didn't have "The Truth" trademarked. There was a rumor that Killings could debut teaming with D'Lo, I don't know how much I'd like that. Killings is a shit rapper though, hopefully they don't go that route with him.

That's from today's Observer.

His tattoos weren't specific to his gimmick. It's mostly traditional samoan designs. Adding a more human element to Umaga is a little strange and really unneccesary unless they feel he is that talented at promos.

You must source EVERY NEWS ARTICLE you post.

Every.

- When posting news items or editorials from other websites, cite your sources.

The rules

Hate to be a hard ass, but if you don't source, everyone complains. I figure it better for me to say so now so that nobody bitches at you.

Urgh, "What's Up" was a horrible song. I can only assume he'll continue with the "what's up" gimmick.

Furthermore, didn't Killings do a rap song about Cena when he was in TNA? I wonder how well that went over?

You must source EVERY NEWS ARTICLE you post.

Every.

- When posting news items or editorials from other websites, cite your sources.

The rules

Hate to be a hard ass, but if you don't source, everyone complains. I figure it better for me to say so now so that nobody bitches at you.

Fair enough. This particular snippet I got from Rajah who credits prowrestling.net who credits Powell. So who gets credited - Rajah where I originally saw the "news", prowrestling.et, who Rajah credited or Powell who prowrestling.net credited? I think I'll just stay out of the news business.

EDIT: Okay so Powell IS prowrestling.net? That what it seems like. Wasn't he at one of the pay sites before? Or is this a different Powell?

What is this "paysites" business? The only website I know that charges for news is PWInsider (but I don't include Torch or F4W/Observer in that since those are newsletters with online content for subscribers). Anyway, yes, I believe Powell (who shares a name with a co-worker of mine so I always find it funny to read his name) is (was?) associated with Torch and now that prowrestling site. Both are usually wrong.

I count the Torch and Observer because unless you pay you are not getting their news, so combine those two along with pwinsider and those are the "pay sites" I refer to. Now I'm not well versed on news/rumor sites but believe that the vast majority of fanboy news sites rip their news directly from one of those three pay sites. I could be wrong of course.

Yes, that's true. Ideally they would just credit the Observer (and some do) but there are offenders that take sentences and write entire paragraphs (see: "Jeter released" from Random Thoughts). Others take something Dave says as an offhand remark and turn it into full blown news.

Wal*Mart -- Low Prices, Phony Celebs Everyday

TMZ.com:

Stone Cold Steve Austin posed for pics at an Indiana Wal*Mart for $10 a pop. But attention Wal*Mart shoppers -- the dude's a fraud.

Someone duped Wal*Mart into believing he was the former WWE champ. Yes, that sounds weird to us too, since Wal*Mart is so corporate you can't take a dump at the store without getting permission from the Prez. But it happened, and now Greensburg, Ind. cops are on the case, trying to hunt down the phony who pocketed the cash.

And this is funny -- Wal*Mart employees became suspicious when the guy and his "manager" showed up in a broke down hoopty.

We're lookin' for pics of the faux wrestler, which we'll post. John Walsh's got nothin' on us!

From WON today

"There reportedly was an exchange after the show when Ross turned down the invitation to fly on the corporate plane from San Antonio to Houston for Smackdown, which he was suddenly broadcasting, and where McMahon told him that he (Vince) risked his life on the show and how he ruined his son-in-laws life (a line that everyone was laughing about because it took people all of five minutes to figure out how the move greatly benefitted HHH’s personal life) for the company."

Between this and the 5 or 6 WWE Long term high ranking employees leaving....

:)

What does that mean?

Wal*Mart -- Low Prices, Phony Celebs Everyday

TMZ.com:

Stone Cold Steve Austin posed for pics at an Indiana Wal*Mart for $10 a pop. But attention Wal*Mart shoppers -- the dude's a fraud.

Someone duped Wal*Mart into believing he was the former WWE champ. Yes, that sounds weird to us too, since Wal*Mart is so corporate you can't take a dump at the store without getting permission from the Prez. But it happened, and now Greensburg, Ind. cops are on the case, trying to hunt down the phony who pocketed the cash.

And this is funny -- Wal*Mart employees became suspicious when the guy and his "manager" showed up in a broke down hoopty.

We're lookin' for pics of the faux wrestler, which we'll post. John Walsh's got nothin' on us!

I might be able to understand Wal Mart falling for the dupe, but come on...unless the guy was a very good look a like, any one who paid 10 bucks for a photo is the bigger moron.

I'll never forget watching him play Vader's WWF theme music on a guitar back one of the morning shows in 1997. That was pretty awesome.