TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
mfn

Here's an Arctic Monkeys query that just went nowhere.

I'd say I like them alright, but given recent developments in the thread, that probably means nothing.

I'm in the same boat as you. I'd say about 90% of the people that post on this forum hate the bands I enjoy.

I tell you what- it's an open secret that the hipsters have scared most everybody from the music folder. There a lot of people on this board who have just as shitty (or perhaps even more shittier) of music taste as me or Mik but are afraid to face the wrath of Czech or Chilly Willy. Incadenza scared a lot of people off too. The only ones who aren't intimidated are the metalheads and some of the hip hop fans. Perhaps it's for the better- cause I certainly don't want Nickelback threads clogging up this folder but still I'd like to be able to discuss the late '60s albums of The Beach Boys without facing ridicule!

Guest Brady's Torn ACL

Nobody's going to run you off. Quit acting like such a bunch of martyrs.

I'll admit I was somewhat intimated by the regulars here. Probably for good reason though, since if I had posted here when I first joined I would have been saying something like "Oh man, how good are Killswitch Engage, guys? Seriously, the best. Also Lamb of God or somehting." Then Agent and Corey or someone like that would've crucified me. It would not have been good times for jwest27!

I tell you what- it's an open secret that the hipsters have scared most everybody from the music folder. There a lot of people on this board who have just as shitty (or perhaps even more shittier) of music taste as me or Mik but are afraid to face the wrath of Czech or Chilly Willy. Incadenza scared a lot of people off too. The only ones who aren't intimidated are the metalheads and some of the hip hop fans. Perhaps it's for the better- cause I certainly don't want Nickelback threads clogging up this folder but still I'd like to be able to discuss the late '60s albums of The Beach Boys without facing ridicule!

The Beach Boys? Really? Everyone likes Pet Sounds at the least, so it isn't as if people who have (presumably) not ventured any further into their discography are going to scoff at you for enjoying any of their albums.

I'll admit I was somewhat intimated by the regulars here. Probably for good reason though, since if I had posted here when I first joined I would have been saying something like "Oh man, how good are Killswitch Engage, guys? Seriously, the best. Also Lamb of God or somehting." Then Agent and Corey or someone like that would've crucified me. It would not have been good times for jwest27!

Hey I like Killswitch...preferably Jesse Leach fronted stuff, though. Of course, that means nothing coming from me!

Hey I like Killswitch...preferably Jesse Leach fronted stuff, though. Of course, that means nothing coming from me!

That does give you credit. Jesse Leach is what made the first two Killswitch albums so great. If you like his voice, you should check out his new band Seemless, which is kind of like a bluesy rock/metal hybrid with the occasional New England metalcore breakdown in it.

Jesse is also working on a new side project with Adam Dutkiewicz from KsE, which could be very special if done right.

Thanks for the tip, I'll check Seemless out when I get a chance.

I'd be interested in the Leach/Dutkiewicz project as Dutkiewicz appears to be the energy and talent of KE.

Definitely. It seems that on KsE's last few albums, Dutkiewicz is kind of uninspired. He did an awesome job producing As I Lay Dying's last album and made it quite enjoyable.

Define hipsters for me please. Because round here, it's people that listen to Vampire Weekend and think that they are the best thing to ever happen to music.

I'm not sure what the hell I was talking about. I was kind of drunk when I wrote that post. I will say that yes I still think The Beach Boys are awesome (I always thought the folder's consensus was that they were wildly overrated- at least Pet Sounds. And that and the songs about cars and surfing is the extent of most people's knowledge.)

Define hipsters for me please. Because round here, it's people that listen to Vampire Weekend and think that they are the best thing to ever happen to music.

Vampire Weekend isn't the best band ever, not by a long shot, but I am really glad they exist in the musical community.

Guest Vitamin X

Killswitch Engage no, but I do remember people here maybe even Corey, liking Lamb of God. I mean, for fuck's sake, Corey was all obsessed with Shadows Fall for the longest time and their biggest appeal is that their lead singer has ridiculously long dreads.

I'm pretty sure that there isn't a single poster at this board who thinks Vampire Weekend is the best thing that has ever happened to music. I think they're ok but by the time March rolled around I stopped listening to the album or including most of the songs on any of my playlists. It was good for what it was, but yeah... nothing too great.

I think The Killers are the greatest thing ever already, obviously.

Vampire Weekend was a bad example for a band that this folder's regulars really like. Yeah, there are a couple people who sort of like them but I'd say the majority of our reactions to them range between indifference to outright hatred.

Guest Brady's Torn ACL
Vampire Weekend isn't the best band ever, not by a long shot, but I am really glad they exist in the musical community.

Haha, what does any of this even mean. "Exist in the musical community"? Do they have some really good collaborations going? I don't get it. It's just kids ripping off a Paul Simon album that wasn't any damn good in the first place and then adding groanworthy lyrics about yogurt drinks and summer homes. I won't deny there's a place for them, because there's a place for everything these days, but it's not like I'm saying "thank goodness for Vampire Weekend." We've already been over how this band is terrible in several aspects and its mere existence necessitates a sea change in independent music. We're going in circles here, but maybe at least this snob-on-snob violence, so to speak, will make people who like Jet less afraid to post in the folder, or something.

I really like Vampire Weekend. Had an awesome time at a VW show last April. Does this make me a hipster? I'm pretty sure I'm not a hipster.

mfn's taste doesn't really offend me, either. He likes all that Pete Dohrety garage revival nonsense. Me too.

Don't worry Kamala, I've kind of felt the same way for a while. I worship '70 and '80s rock and don't really feel that there is much of an opportunity to discuss that stuff around here. But I've decided that I am going to start posting in the music folder. I have a new idea for a weekly thread that I will introduce sometime this week.

Has anyone here used StubHub for concert tickets before? I just had to use it to get Metallica tickets for Calgary (They sold out faster than Iron Maiden for fuck sakes) and I was wondering if anyone has used it and if it's legit, etc.

Eh. I don't care about Chilly Willy or Czech. I like what I like, and if I happen to want to talk about it then this seems like the appropriate place to do it.

Has anyone here used StubHub for concert tickets before? I just had to use it to get Metallica tickets for Calgary (They sold out faster than Iron Maiden for fuck sakes) and I was wondering if anyone has used it and if it's legit, etc.

It's legit...I've purchased tickets through them before.

Haha, what does any of this even mean. "Exist in the musical community"? Do they have some really good collaborations going? I don't get it. It's just kids ripping off a Paul Simon album that wasn't any damn good in the first place and then adding groanworthy lyrics about yogurt drinks and summer homes. I won't deny there's a place for them, because there's a place for everything these days, but it's not like I'm saying "thank goodness for Vampire Weekend." We've already been over how this band is terrible in several aspects and its mere existence necessitates a sea change in independent music. We're going in circles here, but maybe at least this snob-on-snob violence, so to speak, will make people who like Jet less afraid to post in the folder, or something.

That's funny because I absolutely love Jet. I wasn't really going on people's opinions of Vampire Weekend from this board.. it was more so the opinions of the band that people have here at Ohio State.

I'm glad that they're getting airtime. It's a nice change. It's not terribly overproduced, it doesn't feature a guest artist, it's just that; 4 guys signing about shooting the shit on the New England coast with chimey guitar lines. It's simple music, and I'm glad that people reserved a spot for Vampire Weekend instead of Paris Hilton's album on their iPod.

Paris Hilton's album is good. It's time I said this again...

Because she's Paris Hilton, her album is the best artificial music that can be manufactured. The production is top notch, and it could have been literally anyone singing there, it would have sounded good. She was completely expendable, but the product is practically shiny with how professional it is. It's like, good pop music, say... the Beatles or something, that's cheddar. And Paris Hilton, that's Velveeta. It's not real, but it's almost better than real.

(Cheese metaphor I got from Agent)

Paris Hilton had to have a computer program that auto-adjusted the pitch of her voice to match the song. Case in point.

The Beach Boys? Really? Everyone likes Pet Sounds at the least, so it isn't as if people who have (presumably) not ventured any further into their discography are going to scoff at you for enjoying any of their albums.

I think Inc hated the Beach Boys, though he just kind of disapperared. I think he shows up from time to time.

I've said it before and I'll say it again-The Killers first album is a great guilty pleasure. It's far from great, but damnit it's a lot of dumb fun. Same with The Sounds. I do hate The Bravery though.

Guest Brady's Torn ACL
4 guys signing about shooting the shit on the New England coast with chimey guitar lines

Right, you described what it is, but that doesn't mean that it's good. It's such an artificial and contrived niche, bordering on gimmick: "oh, finally. What I've been waiting for. A song about shooting the shit on the New England coast." Songs about California, I get. Songs about the South, I get. Who was clamoring for a musical snapshot of Martha's Vineyard...that takes cues from Senegalese music? It's like the Manatee Idea Balls of indie.

I've said it before and I'll say it again-The Killers first album is a great guilty pleasure. It's far from great, but damnit it's a lot of dumb fun. Same with The Sounds. I do hate The Bravery though.

Official Killers Position: "Mr. Brightside" is a fair rock single, "When You Were Young" is a good one, but the band isn't all that good beyond those songs, and "I got soul, but I'm not a soldier" is the worst lyric since anything from "Smells Like Teen Spirit" to garner such currency despite being total crap. They're basically Matchbox 20 without the sentimental attachment I have for '90s MOR, and I didn't even like Matchbox 20 as much as other bands at the time. So that's that.