TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

This Week In Baseball: 9/22-9/30

Since there was some MVP talk above, let me see if I can't work out the NL award race. Albert Pujols is obviously number one, but there are several qualified candidates for the #2 slot.

1. Albert Pujols

2. Johan Santana

3. Chase Utley

4. David Wright

5. Lance Berkman

6. Hanley Ramirez

7. Geovany Soto

8. Carlos Beltran

9. Carlos Delgado

10. Tim Lincecum

As you can see, no Manny Ramirez, Brad Lidge, C.C. Sabathia or Chipper Jones. I can't see being the MVP in limited playing time. Manny played in 53-54 games for the Dodgers. He would need to triple All-Star production to reach the MVP standard, IMO.

We need to an MLB Awards thread again.

Santana 2nd? Really? I'm guessing that means Santana leap frogged Lincecum for the Cy, too?

I think three consecutive three-day rest performances to carry your team to their first playoff appearance since 1982 is MVP worthy. But, I do keep mistaking the trophy for the most valuable player to his team with what it really is, a reward for the best stats no matter where your team finishes.

I think your homerism is kinda blinding you here.

Santana 2nd? Really? I'm guessing that means Santana leap frogged Lincecum for the Cy, too?

Yeah, his CG shutout yesterday sealed it. He carried the Mets pitching staff.

I'll do an awards thread eventually. This is just a post in response to ongoing discussion.

I think three consecutive three-day rest performances to carry your team to their first playoff appearance since 1982 is MVP worthy. But, I do keep mistaking the trophy for the most valuable player to his team with what it really is, a reward for the best stats no matter where your team finishes.

If Sabathia had a great first half and hurt himself, would we have this discussion?

The Brewers finished their season by going 6-1. Five of those games Sabathia didn't even play. And I could always include the day before, where Sabathia lost.

There is joy for me as this loss is a vindication of Willie Randolph as a manager. Maniya(SP) had the gall to fire Randolph over the phone in the midst of the Mets having a winning streak. Now they have choked again and Maniya was just given a 4 YR extension.

What is the common denominator in The Mets underachieving now? I'll tell you, M A N I YA!!!

As a Yankess fans it is always great to turn the screws against The Mets faithful! :headbang:

There better be extra police on that 7 train for the next 2 hrs.

Yeah because the team was doing SO well under Willie. They had a sub .500 record when he got the boot 69 games too late. He should have been fired last year. Manuel probably wouldn't have led the team to the postseason but Willie was an awful manager who didn't inspire anyone with his "well we played hard so I'm sure things will turn around eventually, 'cause tomorrow's another day" bullshit from the Isiah Thomas school of postgame interviews. I'd LOVE to see you guys replace Girardi with him just so your streak of missing the postseason can last a while.

I think your homerism is kinda blinding you here.

Nah, I don't think he's the definite winner or anything. I just think that to not include somebody that dominant and that important for a playoff team in the top ten is a bit silly.

CC is in the discussion for Cy Young, but he can't compete with Tim Lincecum or Johan Santana. Those guys were great for an entire season, not 2/3. Had either of those guys slipped up down the strecth (see Brandon Webb), then yes, I would have voted for him.

As for Manny, no way. I don't think he'll crack my top 10.

For 2009, I'm thinking this: the Mets move Daniel Murphy to 2nd base, where he played quite a bit in the minors; Make a move for somebody like Raul Ibanez, but give Fernando Martinez the opportunity to compete for that Left Field spot. Santana-Pelfrey-Maine are the first three starters in the rotation. Sign one more starter (be it Oliver Perez or otherwise) and then Niese and Parnell can compete for that final spot. As far as the bullpen goes, keep Joe Smith. Everyone else goes. Bring Kunz up. Sign a solid vet, maybe Doug Brocali or something. Parnell or Niese, who ever isn't the 5th starter, they're in the pen. Absolutely should not sign K-Rod, his weirdo motion has 50 million dollar disabled list pay roll spot written all over it.

I was also pulling for the Mets. But that's because I wanted the Dodgers to play the Phillies.

I still like our chances.

For 2009, I'm thinking this: the Mets move Daniel Murphy to 2nd base, where he played quite a bit in the minors; Make a move for somebody like Raul Ibanez, but give Fernando Martinez the opportunity to compete for that Left Field spot. Santana-Pelfrey-Maine are the first three starters in the rotation. Sign one more starter (be it Oliver Perez or otherwise) and then Niese and Parnell can compete for that final spot. As far as the bullpen goes, keep Joe Smith. Everyone else goes. Bring Kunz up. Sign a solid vet, maybe Doug Brocali or something. Parnell or Niese, who ever isn't the 5th starter, they're in the pen. Absolutely should not sign K-Rod, his weirdo motion has 50 million dollar disabled list pay roll spot written all over it.

Murphy played 17 games at second in the minors, this season. It's questionable whether his defense is good enough to hold the spot.

It'll be easier to find a corner outfielder than a second basemen though; if he can field 2nd base he should be the 2nd basemen.

I see Orlando Hudson is a free agent to be. This would make sense on two levels.

A. The Mets problem is not scoring runs, but preventing them.

B. Adding a Gold Glove caliber fielder would only improve the beleaguered pitching staff.

Also, Raul Ibanez is the worst defensive outfielder in the bigs not named Manny Ramirez. Since the Mets offense is already really good, adding Ibanez would probably be a net negative for the team.

They are going to have to find a closer for next year. K-Rod would be a bad move, but Chad Cordero, Brian Fuentes, Huston Street and others will be available. It will be important, however, that Minaya show some restraint in acquiring bullpen arms. You don't want to go all '07 Orioles on the market.

Looking at the postseason schedule, the Brewers will almost certainly have to start Sabathia AGAIN on three days rest on Thursday. That would set him up to pitch a potential game five on normal rest. If they hold him to game three on Saturday, he could only start one game.

The Phillies start Cole Hamels on game one. They could use him on short rest for game four, giving them a series rotation of Hamels, Myers, Moyer, Hamels, Myers. Not bad to cut your rotation to three pitchers. Suddenly a thin team becomes a lot more dangerous.

Quick note on threads.

I'm going to start the awards thread the day after the regular season ends. Once Baseball-Reference updates, that's my queue. Right now there are still regular season games on the docket. A White Sox/Twins tiebreaker game Tuesday counts for regular season statistics.

Postseason. Different threads for each round. Should we do one divisional thread, break them up by series, or break them up by league?

At least all of the one Brewers fan on the board has something to look forward to

Hey now, don't forget my good friend, Invader.

So, I was gone all afternoon, pretty much celebrating and enjoying this amazing turn of events. This is something I've been looking forward to ever since my dad took me to my first Brewers game over 20 years ago.

I guess I sure am glad I bothered to buy post season tickets now. What a great day.

Guest C*Z*E*C*H

CDT start times for the first three Dodgers-Cubs games: 5:30 Wednesday, 8:30 (at Wrigley!!) Thursday, 9 Saturday. Fucking retarded. Did the L.A. Dodgers' fanbase multiply tenfold overnight that they need to be THIS accommodated? Jesus fuck.

8:30 (at Wrigley!!) Thursday, 9 Saturday.

Wow, that is stupid. I guess this can fuel the annual complaints about how "Baseball doesn't do enough to accommodate families and kids."

Guest C*Z*E*C*H
Bold suggestion: air two games at once? I love baseball, but a tripleheader of INTENSE POSTSEASON BASEBALL might be a little much by the end. The Saturday @ 9 start is particularly egregious, because it's a weekend after the travel day. There's no reason why that game can't be played at 1 pacific/3 central.

Dodger fans already get screwed by that 3:30 start (although it's good for me because I have to do something early), so 6:30 and 7:00 are like a repayment of sorts. MLB gets away with it because they know Cubs fans will watch no matter what time the games are on.

It's a bizarre time, but since I don't have any obligations the following day, I won't complain. It's still a silly schedule.

And I think a thread for each league during the NLDS is just fine.

Guest C*Z*E*C*H

Why do Cubs fans have this burden of being able to watch any game at any time? Why can't these other guys be inconvenienced by having to watch a baseball game at 3 in the afternoon or something? This scheduling is all quite silly, and even better, we'll get gamebreaks from the TBS all-stars!

EJ: "Cal Ripken Jr., the living legend, the iron man, the greatest man of all men who ever...were...men?, what are your thoughts on this matchup?

CRJ: (dead-eyed stare, purses lips inward, nods head) "Pitching's important."

Didn't see it mentioned here, but Mike Mussina finally got to 20 wins yesterday. That might be the bump he needs to get voted into the Hall of Fame. A bright spot in the otherwise miserable season for the Yanks.

I don't like the sounds of this Beckett injury. As of today, he's penciled in for Game 3. On one hand, Lester and Matsuzaka were clearly superior pitchers this season (3rd and 4th best in AL this year, according to SNLVAR), but I think we still know that Josh has the best stuff and the history of postseason success. I'll stay cautiously optimistic.