TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dubq

More Future Endeavours - Dykstra, Lena, Elijah

And I was digging "The Black Pope" street prophet look too...

I liked both of these wrestlers, I predicted Kenny as a future world champion, but it seems his backstage attitude sunk him. Burke was one of the bright spots of early ECW. I don't know why the office soured on him because he could bring it in the ring and was good on the mic. I guess the writers just ran out of stereotypical African American gimmicks and he was on the outside looking in.

Isn't Nick Nemeth that Ziggler guy? Or is he gone too? Where's Johnny Jeter at these days?

I really liked Elijah.. he could work.. could talk.. I guess there is a limit on how many successful black wrestlers there are allowed to be at one given time. It's kind of like Canadian Hip Hop.

Elijah will catch on elsewhere, he's a pretty talented worker.

I think it's hilarious that "future hall of famer" Kenny is gone though. Is anyone from the Spirit Squad still in WWE?

Dolph Ziggler (at least for the time being) was Nicky (Nick Nemeth). Johnny Jeter was released a few months ago , they did try and rename him Jaden Jeter in a dark match or two. Mike Mondo was fired adter a DWI in Florida while in FCW and Mitch has been gone for awhile though is engaged to Torrie Wilson.

Remember when Choken One kept saying that Ken Doane would main event Wrestlemania?

I think this is a good thing for Doane- he can work indies and get some experience, and come back to WWE a better wrestler.

Shame about Elijah Burke, I think he could work in TNA and/or ROH

What doomed Doane was his backstage attitude. I think struggling on the indies might be good for him, I think he already had it in the ring, I mean remember he was 20-21 years old while in The Spirit Squad. It was just a case of too much success too soon for him.

Since he's been reduced to jobber for the past two years or so, I hardly care about Kenny. I did love his run as leader of the Spirit Squad despite the gimmick. I figured he would have definitely been moving onto better things eventually when he got to main event Raw against Cena and when he stole the sledgehammer from HHH, but whatever. There were times I honestly forgot he was even on the roster recently.

Elijah gone does suck, though. I don't understand why they couldn't just add him to the ECW roster that consists of like 10 guys.

Damn Elijah, didn't you learn nothing from that ghost attacking you last Halloween? HOMEBOY DROP YOUR CELL PHONE!

I hope TNA makes a run at him. He's got that same something that The Truth has. They blew it with him, maybe they can bring in Elijah and do something right. Losing Christian and gaining Burke would be like trading for a prospect but it's still someone with a plus upside.

Poor Lena Yada, if Gail Kim hadn't signed she'd still be employed. Can't have too many asian women on the roster, the fans would be confused!

Why would they keep Lena Yada though? Did she serve a purpose? Gail Kim can at least work in the ring.

Man, if you take a look at that OVW group of guys from 2005-06 WWE has seriously blown it with nearly all of these guys aside from CM Punk. It's just staggering the amount of talented guys that used to be in OVW that WWE has done nothing with or release. The Spirit Squad gimmick may well have been the worst gimmick ever since it basically ruined the careers of all the guys involved. Ironically Burke rejected the gimmick and it looked like it was a good idea that he did, but he too ended up released.

Burke is a better heel than face. Some of his ECW work was fun with the New Breed, but I dare say that WWE feels there might be one too many black guys on the roster.

I hate that Burke got released, but I'm not surprised at all. I really like the guy's smack talk in the ring and while he was coming to the ring, but he tended to suck ass in the ring at times. That debacle with CM Punk during that 3 way was horrible. He had hard times before that with Punk and other guys during his ECW time. But even through all of that, I'm sure he's one of those "revolving door" guys that could probably come back after a little "seasoning" elsewhere. I remember seeing him on tapes I had of OVW and he had that crowd loving him, so he definitely has charisma.

Dykstra/Doane's release surprises me too. He seemed to be a perfect candidate for a breakout push after leaving a faction. I guess it was not to be. It's not all bad for him though, he got to screw Mickie James for quite some time. Lucky Bastard lol.

What were some of the backstage problems he had?

Val Venis still lives to fight another (dark) match!

Venis may very well retire with the 'E. I don't see him getting released anytime in the near future. He's a good hand and seems to get a good reaction whenever he appears on TV. Then again, I said the same thing about Scotty 2 Hotty two years ago and look what happened to him.

Both releases are a bit surprising but I wouldn't be surprised to see either of them back in the 'E eventually. Both have a lot of potential and have shown it when given the chance to. Burke should go to TNA, I bet they'd at least give him a good spot in the upper mid-card. I agree with HTQ, he should probably go to HTQ for some more seasoning.

There could be more yet to come - basically given the economic climate and the bad quarterly report the wwe is looking to cut the roster fat - anybody not being used/of wrestlers creative doesn't have any ideas for could be cut.

Kung Funaki (should be spelled this way), and Charlie Haas have to be thanking their lucky stars they've been given something to run with just in the nick of time.

Other folks who should be nervous as hell answering their phones (in my opinion) -

Deuce - No Snuka Jr. gimmick for him and looks out of shape in last Raw appearance. 37 years old to boot.

Hardcore Holly - Could be in rehab, so could save him here. Isn't the lifer he once seemed to be.

Jillian Hall - Gimmick is stale and I don't see her selling calendars

Paul Burchill - I think he's toast. I mean a Brit not used in Britain tour stop? Also wwe has four developmental Brits (Lewington, Saunders, Galloway(Scot) and Seamus(Irish)) that could be used without the previous character baggage Burchill has.

Katie Lea - Layla London is now the resident UK Diva. Could be valuable on SD!

Snitzky - Knox is 10 times the worker Gene is. He has nothing to give in rub anymore.

Val Venis - Is he injured right now?

Hawkins - Bland.

Ryder - Bland.

Armando Estrada - WWE never really got behind the character. His brief in-ring push disappeared

Gavin Spears - Bland. Scotty Goldman and Ryan Braddock should survive because there is something to work with there.

Pure speculation, but I'm woundering if these releases have anything to do with the supposed crackdown on marijhuna. Both seemed to have a ton of potential to one day be a maineventer.

There is absolutely no way they should release Katie Lea due to Layla being the UK diva. Katie can actually work and should be contending for Beth Phoenix's title.

Burke is the most enigmatic release in a while. I can see Kenny since he was in the Spirit Squad and thus doomed forever, but Burke showed something in ECW (not so much OVW, since I disliked his face work). But really did Burke ever have especially good matches? His series with Punk wasn't all that notable, though he did have a couple of good TV matches with RVD during the New Breed/Originals feud.

There is absolutely no way they should release Katie Lea due to Layla being the UK diva. Katie can actually work and should be contending for Beth Phoenix's title.

Burke is the most enigmatic release in a while. I can see Kenny since he was in the Spirit Squad and thus doomed forever, but Burke showed something in ECW (not so much OVW, since I disliked his face work). But really did Burke ever have especially good matches? His series with Punk wasn't all that notable, though he did have a couple of good TV matches with RVD during the New Breed/Originals feud.

I agree completely about Katie, but get the sense that the wwe isn't high on her. I'd like to see her move to SD! as their division needs a big boost. With the rumored moving around of some undercard workers, I'd like to see Burchill keep his job and move with Katie to SD! as Hayes books a much better midcard.

Regarding Burke, the best ECW matches I saw him in were the garbage/weapons variety. I was still a fan and believe there was a spot for him in the wwe. I mean ifthey're cutting somebody because the writers don't have anything for them - shouldn't they be cutting the writers?

I mean ifthey're cutting somebody because the writers don't have anything for them - shouldn't they be cutting the writers?

This is a really good point. Someone like Burke who is good on the stick and good in the ring could probably come up with something on his own if given the chance. I think both of his aborted teams (with Terkay and Monty Brown) showed promise.

I like the gimmick, but why is the Boogeyman still around? He is injury prone, a terrible worker and in his 40s. At least Dykstra and Burke bring something to the table in terms of actual skill.

Of all the people who have survived the cuts, I can't believe Kevin Thorn remains employed. I love the guy's work, and his Vampire gimmick was fun. I've always figured WWE must have some sort of plan for him if they haven't released him after all this time.