DrVenkman PhD
Members-
Posts
9713 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Profiles
Forums
Blogs
Everything posted by DrVenkman PhD
-
I watched the movie again tonight (and thank God I made my friend buy tickets online, every showing was sold out well in advance) and though I could be and probably am wrong (since this is not mentioned in any credits online), I SWEAR Pat Hingle was on screen for a split second or so during the police procession scene.
-
Did it ever come up on the show that Poor Richard's is inside a bowling alley? I don't recall that bit of information and it took my friend and I awhile to find it (but we accidentally found Alfredo's Pizza Cafe because of it).
-
You'd think some of the people at the midnight screening I was at NEVER go to movies outside of special midnight screenings. I understand they were anxious to see the film but I'd never heard so many impatient people sitting through the same "shut your phone off" messages, car commercials, and movie trailers. Oh yeah, the movie was awesome.
-
The Things That Anger You Thread.
DrVenkman PhD replied to Man Who Sold The World's topic in General Chat
Problems that can't easily be solved because neither side - if even they each truthfully believe they aren't the problem - can admit fault. No, this isn't something "deep" about religious wars or something petty about relationship arguments (though those suck too) - it's just me complaining about my recent string of WWE 24/7 problems. WWE takes the stance that they send EVERYTHING to the cable companies and it's their sole responsibility to properly update. Sometimes their automatic updating system fails and the cable company is supposed to notice this and manually adjust it. The cable company says "Hey, we put everything up we were sent, call us on the telephone (side annoyance: Having to call human beings in the computer age - just read my e-mail, guys!) to tell us what's missing so we can call WWE and tell them to send it". This solves nothing. -
The "Vent about not having Program X on 24/7" Thread
DrVenkman PhD replied to EVIL~! alkeiper's topic in WWE Multimedia
Cogeco actually called and left a message 2 hours after I sent this stating they needed me to phone them and tell them exact title names that were missing. They also said it was WWE's fault. I wish someone would take responsibility here because whenever someone tells WWE they've been blamed, they say they are perfect and everything is waiting in the cable pipelines for service providers to manually upload when automatic uploads fail. I really, really don't like phone conversations (which is why I was so sarcastic about their constant suggestion for me to call them about this problem) but I guess I may have to try. -
I thought I was an odd one, putting jalapeno on tuna to spice it up, but almost everyone has answered "jalapeno" as a topping. Has anyone ever tried the lobster sub? I thought they discontinued it because it was obscenely expensive for a "fast food" sandwich, but I guess it's just an LTO deal that's back again.
-
First google result for '"Brian Gewirtz" left WWE' http://forums.thesmartmarks.com/lofiversio...php?t69630.html
-
The "Vent about not having Program X on 24/7" Thread
DrVenkman PhD replied to EVIL~! alkeiper's topic in WWE Multimedia
2:30 Thursday and all I have to show for it is one Nitro instead of two, no shorties, and half a PPV. Cogeco is seriously getting a "I'm about to cancel" e-mail. Edit: This sounds ok, right? Keep in mind almost all previous e-mails have been overly nice with me assuming they would fix the problem, so I felt I was at a justified boiling point here. The part about other markets and VOD is true, btw. A friend of mine was living in London and Rogers Cable had 24/7 before we did here. You had to go through several menus just to find the free previews for 24/7 (which back then were about 45 minutes instead of 12) and I never could find a way to check complete listings. -
I'm sure it's missing some details but that doesn't really sound like a 2 hour show.
-
Some Too Big for the WON ratings notes from F4Wonline: - The rating really is being attributed to the Home-Run Derby (it did a huge rating for ESPN). - Punk vs. Kane gained 679,000 viewers to a 3.57. Jericho vs. London and the Noble/Layla/Snitsky deal lost 688,000 viewers (that's good news for Punk). - Cena & Cryme Tyme vs. JBL & Rhodes & DiBiase gained 1,117,000 although that also includes the gains of the post-match parking lot deal, ending at 3.80. Funny that as I was writing this, "Cult of Personality" came on the radio.
-
WWE 24/7 Classics OnDemand General Discussion
DrVenkman PhD replied to DrVenkman PhD's topic in WWE Multimedia
I posted the line-up in the Raw thread... they look really brutal. -
I had the time of my life at a house show in 2003 with 3rd row seats. I've had plenty of indy seats that close, but this is your chance to yell at SUPERSTARS. That said, they still had a cap in 2003 (I think) where floor seats were the same price as well positioned lower bowl seats so I didn't pay anything above and beyond. Worst seats I've had at a house show? Floor seats, row 12. Jerk asses with their damn signs at a house show.
-
Yeah, I created this thread because "Random Thoughts" - which is just supposed to be random thoughts - was becoming the new CTDWAT dumping grounds for minor news. This was supposed to split the two, but I knew the risk was there of pretty much recreating the CTDWAT days of no individual threads. Let's try and watch out for that, k guys?
-
If Lord Alfred hadn't passed away I would suggest the dream team from Coliseum Video of Hayes and Mooney be an alternate selection in the game. Seriously though I would mark for some sort of Mooney appearance.
-
It lasted longer than I thought it would, but I just don't have the time anymore. Nor do I have the concentration, and it was starting to get to a point where I didn't enjoy anything I watched. Kinda like Scott Keith, but I haven't done it for nearly as long. I don't know how he still does. This way, I can watch about 5-7 hours of wrestling in a day, or start, watch some of a show, and finish a day or two later. More fun this way. This is pretty much why the recaps I told Meltzer I'd write months and months ago never got written. I've written I think 3 show recaps for them and because I do kinda take pride in my writing, I don't half ass it. This means I have to take very specific notes. When I did two episodes of SmackDown, the recaps took me longer to write than the shows took to watch, and I didn't tape them. When I did Black Saturday I had the advantage of it being VOD so I could pause and rewind, but again, 44 minute show that took FOREVER to write about properly. Really gives you respect for Todd Martin's excellent Raw recaps and the face Dave Meltzer and Bryan Alvarez have to write and recap EVERY SHOW in this manner for their newsletter. That said, I absolutely love writing house show and taping reports. I tend to have a good memory for the key points and take brief notes that don't distract from my enjoyment while at the show. Yeah, none of this has anything to do with GFBE...
-
I was going to use wikipedia to get to the bottom of the Gewirtz situation but apparently he lacks his own entry. I've seen ONE SENTENCE ENTRIES about random nonsense, but the guy who played the waiter when Saturn, Terri, Dean, and "Sherri" went out for a zany dinner doesn't get an entry? Come now, Wikination.
-
I'm sorry to hear that but if you're still going to be throwing comments out in the threads, that's cool. I'm waiting for Part 1 to show up by the biggest memory of watching this show live (and by "watching live" I mean scribblevision) was Vince saying "I think people are surprised at how much offense Razor is getting in on Vader" or a similar line. At the time I thought it was an insider comment about people knowing Razor was leaving and thus would think he was going to be squashed. I realize now it probably meant he was putting over Vader and not burying Hall... but I suppose it could have been both. On that note, I really wanted to see the Vader/Razor match. I bet it sucks but I figured it would be a good big man / power match.
-
The "Vent about not having Program X on 24/7" Thread
DrVenkman PhD replied to EVIL~! alkeiper's topic in WWE Multimedia
I'm glad Cogeco here lets non-subscribers check the listings for premium OnDemand channels because after dealing with nonsense from them for about two months now - with it getting really bad in the past 3 weeks - next month's line-up looks like the perfect time for me to threaten to cancel (and then follow through if needed, but I'll be back). I can then keep up to date with how good or bad their updating is going. I realize one guy dropping the package won't suddenly make them get their act together, but then again since I might be one of the only people in the market who subscribes, maybe it will. -
WWE 24/7 Classics OnDemand General Discussion
DrVenkman PhD replied to DrVenkman PhD's topic in WWE Multimedia
I only ever saw clips on Superstars of what I remember to be a REALLY slow count by Hebner while Savage was unconcious (courtesy of Razor Ramon, I believe) in the figure four. I don't believe the full match aired outside of Prime Time, which we did not get in Canada. If it did air on Superstars, I must have missed it that week and saw clips on Challenge. -
Fall Brawl 98 was the first PPV I watched at my wrestling fan cousin's house since KOTR 95 (which we watched at a local tavern). He walked out of that one and pretty much decided he hated wrestling from that point on even though he was the one that got me into it. He came around to the Attitude era in the summer of 98 and also followed WCW, but after Fall Brawl 98 I thought it might have all over once more. Luckily he stuck around until Unforgiven 2001 (nothing specific about that show, he had just been losing interest gradually since slightly after Mania X7).
-
Oh yeah, I heard that and was thinking "Wow, if only". I also posted the Paul Christie thing before seeing the entire segment with the other magician - that just made it even weirder. What did that have to do with ANYTHING? That said, the fake Indiana Jones music and the Swordsman / gunshot scene ripped from Raiders was pretty awesome.
-
I was going to say this in the ECW TV thread but since it's relevant to the conversation here, I have a hard time getting into "classics" like the RVD / Sabu match on right now for the same reason as bob. They're fun to watch and all and maybe I'm just to much of a WWE mark (because that's what I grew up), but by the numbers formula just seems more "natural" then doing SPOTS~! or MOVES~! then resting and/or giving yourself a pat on the back by pausing for applause then doing more MOVES~! (can you tell I've been reading F4W archives?). These matches have no psychology at all. When you see a series of counters leading to a big move in a WWE match, it means a lot and the crowd usually goes banana. Then again, this is coming from the guy that gave high praise to the Sabu / Scorpio match that aired a few months ago (and al reminded me was on a DVD I owned) that basically suffers the same problems, but I really liked it.
-
Huh. Oh, and if anyone else besides me thought "Hey, isn't that Ric Flair's daughter Ashley on camera behind the announcers?" during the beginning of Raw (and I'm sure I wasn't the only one who watched the Flair DVD recently), yes, it was indeed her.
-
Woah woah, Jake Roberts reviews Monday Night Raw these days? What's the website address of this? I couldn't figure out what Jake was talking about with the "old-timers" footage because I didn't think Batista pinning Kane the week prior constituted old, classic footage, but I realized it was probably referring to the opening video signature.
-
Unless I misunderstood Cole's opening to the 9/1 Nitro (I only watched his bit and the opening Double a video package because it was so good), does he really have Bischoff as a studio guest at the end to explain the thought process in mocking Arn? If so, good stuff. I also thought it was WWE who insisted on calling September shows "Season Premieres" when they had to push something important on UPN but I see WCW beat them by at least 5 years (I think the Billy & Chuck wedding was the first time SmackDown was mentioned as having a "Season Premiere"). I did know they called the last Nitro the "season finale" though.