TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest tank_abbott

The Old School questions thread

Its a shame I really miss Hakushi. Hes fued with Bret Hart was awesome.

How did Randy Savage turn face in 1987?

In the summer of 1987, Savage was a tweener. He was still having matches with Hogan but ever since winning the IC title in June the Honkytonk Man quickly laid claim to being the best IC champoion of all time ... Savage took exception to that.

If you take a look at the print ads I have from 1987, you can see that Savage faced Honky on August 1st and then Hogan on the 8th.

The fans just took to Savage in his quest to shut HTM up. That took off even more at the September edition of Saturday Night's Main Event in which Honky slapped Liz and Hogan made the save.

I found this interesting on some episodes of Superstars I have just gotten from August 87. Savage is wrestling one week as the normal heel he had been basically for the last 2 years. Then the week after he wrestles long tiem heel jobber Steve Lombardi (basically indicating a face turn) and plus Jesse Ventura on commentary says Savage has gone "soft" as he, IIRC let Elizabeth lead him to the ring and plus Bruno and Vince had no negative comments about Savage either

Another reason was because Honky would say in all his interviews that Elizabeth was really interested in him, and not Savage

Also did Honky actually slap Elizabeth? I don't remember him doing that, just pushing her to the mat

In storyline terms, Hakushi had a busy day the day of SummerSlam 1995.

That afternoon on the Action Zone, Skip cost him a match against Horowitz. Then, in the opening match of SS, he (as a heel) gets a hard fought win over the 1-2-3 Kid. Then, later on makes a full fledged face turn and helps Horowitz beat Skip again . . . only to become a JTTS in no time flat.

Speaking of above, did Candido ever have any problem putting Horowitz over so many times? I'd figure the gimmick had to be irritating enough for him, but did he ever give his thoughts on the Horowitz feud? I mean for all I know, he stepped up and wanted to put him over.

Another question, how did Jake The Snake Roberts' face turn come about? Did he just insult Honky one week and get whacked w/ the guitar or was there more to it than that?

I think it was a case of him getting cheered all the time, I have heard the fans were chanting for him more when he wreslted Hogan at house shows and even on the unaired Snake Pit where he gave Hogan the DDT. That particular Snake Pit episode just simply confirmed him as a face I would say, even though that was his first appearance on TV for weeks due to the Hogan/Andre Piper's Pits airing on Challenge as well as Superstars, in place of the Snake Pit

Jake was also heavily cheered in the heel vs. heel match with Randy Savage on SNME in November 1986.

1.) What's up with The Undertaker holding up a head of...himself on the Bad Blood cover? I don't get it.

2.) How was the Sid / Hogan WM 8 finish supposed to go?

I have no idea, I would have used Michaels head instead, maybe use one of the actual pics from the match with the blood on HBK's face.

2.) How was the Sid / Hogan WM 8 finish supposed to go?

Hogan hits legdrop, Papa Shango breaks cover, DQ.

Instead we have: Hogan hits legdrop, Sid kicks out because Shango was late, Wippleman interferes to cause lame DQ, Shango comes out.

Guest slacklet

Around 1994-1995, PWI kept saying that WWF and WCW were considering having two referees for tag-team matches.

Was their any truth to that or was it fluff?

Around 1994-1995, PWI kept saying that WWF and WCW were considering having two referees for tag-team matches.

Was their any truth to that or was it fluff?

It wouldn't surprise me with the WWF since Gorilla Monsoon became on-air president in 1995 and had always talked about two referees for tag team matches when he was on commentary, but as far as I know the story's just fluff.

How much was the Warrior being paid per apperence when he was in WCW. A friend of mine told me it was a quarter of a million for every apperance, I know that cant be right can it?

Guest Astro

Hogan supposedly made 30,000 for every for every Nitro broadcast he was on, so it could be true that an obcene price may be paid

Back in 98, WWF ran an angle where someone kept sending flowers, candy, etc. to Sable, making Marc Mero jealous. I wanna say that Tom Brandi (Salvatore Sincere) was behind it, but I'm not sure. Anybody know? Or did they just drop the angle?

I'm pretty sure that it was Tom Brandi, only because Mero wasn't feuding with anyone else at that point. I actually remember one Shotgun Saturday Night were Tom Brandi was hanging out backstage flirting with Sable after Mero sent away from the ring.

Whatever happened to Tom Brandi anyways?

He wound up getting let go of by WWF, bought the Patriot gimmick from Del Wilkes, and now does both the Salvatore Sincere/Patriot gimmicks at indie shows, even both in the same night.

He wound up getting let go of by WWF, bought the Patriot gimmick from Del Wilkes, and now does both the Salvatore Sincere/Patriot gimmicks at indie shows, even both in the same night.

I would love to see a show where somewhere throughout it he plays both Salvatore Sincere & The Patriot at the same time and wrestles himself. :D

What led to the Michaels / Jarrett match at IYH 2?

WWF @ Danville - June 26, 1995

Monday Night Raw taping:

6/26/95:

Savio Vega defeated WWF IC Champion Jeff Jarrett (w/ the Roadie) via disqualification when the Roadie interfered; Shawn Michaels, who was doing guest commentary, made the save after the match and dominated an altercation with Jarrett

:)

Speaking of which, I'll try to find more details on that taping - and match - and have them up for tomorrow's This Day in History.

What led to the Michaels / Jarrett match at IYH 2?

WWF @ Danville - June 26, 1995

Monday Night Raw taping:

6/26/95:

Savio Vega defeated WWF IC Champion Jeff Jarrett (w/ the Roadie) via disqualification when the Roadie interfered; Shawn Michaels, who was doing guest commentary, made the save after the match and dominated an altercation with Jarrett

:)

To expand on that a bit, the Savio/Jarrett match was the ME of the night, and after Shawn made the save, the show went off the air. After the broadcast, Jarrett came back out and demanded a title match with Shawn (who, I think, was still at ringside dancing on the announce table). Shawn came in, they brawled, and Shawn ended up laying Jeff out with SCM. He then grabs the belt, holds it into the air and that was about it.

I don't think they interacted again between then and the PPV, and the rest of the build was handled in control center promos.

Is it true that Doink The Clown was played by Nick Dinsmore at last years APA Bar Room Brawl, and if so did he also play him at Wrestlemania X7s Gimmick Battle Royal?

From the info I've been able to find over the past 5 minutes, he did play Doink last year.

I haven't found any info as of yet regarding who Doink was at WrestleMania. It wasn't Steve Lombardi, he was Kimchee.

Guest Astro

Iron Sheik won a "battle royal" (3:05). Also in the match were" Brother Love, Bushwhackers, Jim Cornette, Doink (Fall), Duke Droese, Earthquake, Gobbledy Gooker, Goon, Michael Hayes, Hillbilly Jim, Kimala, Kim Chee (Lombardi), One Man Gang, Repo Man, Sgt. Slaughter, Tugboat, and Nikolia Volkoff.

Guest Astro

Yup Big Josh = Maniac Matt Borne, aka One of the Rat Pack (Mid South), aka Borne Again (ECW)

Billy Jack Haynes = Billy Jack (Florida) Aka Black Blood (WCW)

What was the deal between Chyna and Miss Kitty. Was it ever explained why Kitty was dressing up like her, outside of the Master & Slave tops?