TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
OldSchoolWrestling

FCC Rules "F" Word ok for primetime

On another message board, I read that they mentioned on Good Morning America that the FCC had ruled that "Fuck" would now be allowed on primetime tv, as long as it is used as an adjective and not a verb. I haven't found an official story about this online, but the abcnews message board has some people discussing it. I always wondered when this would eventually happen. I always figured a show would test the FCC by saying it and seeing if they could get away with it. I'm sure it will be something like NYPD Blue to be the first network tv show to use it, while The Shield will be the first on basic cable.

Guest Choken One

Shit? Done

piss? Done

Fuck? Done

Tits? Done

"cunt

cocksucker

motherfucker" still untouched

God Must be happy

Good, it's about time. Television and most other forms of entertainment have always been afraid to show or say what happens in the real world.

And George Carlin nows looks down upon us from heaven with a smile on his face...

What the fuck you mean "he's not dead"? Hell, he looked like a damn corpse five years ago.

Guest stardust
On another message board, I read that they mentioned on Good Morning America that the FCC had ruled that "Fuck" would now be allowed on primetime tv, as long as it is used as an adjective and not a verb.  I haven't found an official story about this online, but the abcnews message board has some people discussing it.  I always wondered when this would eventually happen.  I always figured a show would test the FCC by saying it and seeing if they could get away with it.   I'm sure it will be something like NYPD Blue to be the first network tv show to use it, while The Shield will be the first on basic cable.

from KOBTV.com

After a group filed complaints against stations that aired this year's Golden Globe Awards because a performer used the F-word, the Federal Communications Commission said it's okay to use it on television, as long as it's done properly.

During the Golden Globes, the performer Bono uttered either the phrase "this is really, really, f***ing brilliant" or "this is f***ing great," according to the FCC's Memorandum Opinion and Order. Because of that, 234 complaints were filed against television stations across the country.

The FCC denied that the use of the F-word was indecent. "The word 'f***ing' may be crude and offensive, but, in the context presented here, did not describe sexual or excretory organs or activities," they wrote. "Rather, the performer used the word 'f***ing' as an adjective or expletive to emphasize an exclamation." In similar circumstances, they wrote, offensive language like that used as an insult was not indecent.

That doesn't sit well with people we talked to. "Really, it's a sexual word," said Manuel Alvidrez. "People use it to demean something."

The entire FCC ruling can be found here. You have to download either the Adobe Acrobat version or the Microsoft Word version in order to read it.

Uh, this isn't news of any kind; the f-bomb has been dropped several times on primetime TV before. Bobby Heenan's startled reaction to a deranged Brian Pillman on that infamous Nitro comes to mind.

And it's been aired on shows where it was cleared ahead of time, too. Remember when they aired a mostly-uncut version of Schindler's List? I clearly remember it had at least one usage of fuck in Ralph Fiennes' line "Put the top down, I'm fucking freezing."

Guest Plushy Al Logan

So how long before:

Tits are on TV

Bare ass is on TV

Pubic hair """

Pubic organs """

Something that looks like fucking """

Bodily fluids """

Nice.

Tits are on TV

Bare ass is on TV

Pubic hair """

Pubic organs """

Bodily fluids """

All the bolded ones have already been done somewhere or another in primetime, depending on what your definition of "bodily fluids" means.

Guest Plushy Al Logan
Tits are on TV

Bare ass is on TV

Pubic hair """

Pubic organs """

Bodily fluids """

All the bolded ones have already been done somewhere or another in primetime, depending on what your definition of "bodily fluids" means.

Semen!

Menstral fluids during an actual on camera period.

Fuckers

Unacceptable. "Fuckers" is a noun.

234 fucking complaints about a fucking word?? That's fucking ludicrous.

Perfectly fucking acceptable!

Now, FCC, make hardcore nudity okay for primetime. C'mon, Michael Powell, you can do this for me!

Guest Choken One

Including tonight.

Another Ass Shot...by the decent looking blonde and not fat ass Denis Franz.

"Finally I got sick of all the fucking complaining. So I made that fucking ruling, and now prime time tv is going to be way more fucking entertaining. Thank you for your fucking time. Good fucking night."------unofficial statement from an FCC spokesman.

Guest Hutch

Last night on the Joe Schmo finale, at 9:15 ET the announcer said "Shit".

I was kind of shocked.

But then again, I remember watching Airheads on Comedy Central a few years back around 2 in the afternoon and they didn't censor anything.

Guest Dmann2000
Comedy Central played the South Park movie uncensored a few months ago, and every word you could think of was left unedited...

They also played it at 1AM, and technically cable is not under the jurisdiction of the FCC, just broadcast networks like CBS, ABC, NBC, FOX. The reason we don't see really hardcore stuff on basic cable is fear of advertisors pulling out.

Because a channel like HBO is subscription, they can do whatever and if you don't like, you cancel subscribing.

Guest El Satanico

fucking fuck fuckity fuck fuck

How long until South Park takes advantage of this. Yes, I know FCC has nothing to do with Cable, but you know Trey & Matt will do something to address this glorious day.