TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Edwin MacPhisto

Stuff you haven't listened to in forever.

While filing a few new discs into my CD binder, I realized just how many of my albums have gone unheard for years. Before I go pouring my money into other new stuff, I'm revisiting a lot of what I bought way-back and barely touched, or albums that have simply fallen out of favor.

Right now I'm spinning the Chemical Brothers' Surrender, the ill-received sequel to their big breakthrough. Already I've been pleasantly reminded of the big-beated awesomeness of the Bernard Sumner track, "Out of Control."

So what the hell haven't you listened to in ages that you really ought to hear again?

While filing a few new discs into my CD binder, I realized just how many of my albums have gone unheard for years. Before I go pouring my money into other new stuff, I'm revisiting a lot of what I bought way-back and barely touched, or albums that have simply fallen out of favor.

Right now I'm spinning the Chemical Brothers' Surrender, the ill-received sequel to their big breakthrough. Already I've been pleasantly reminded of the big-beated awesomeness of the Bernard Sumner track, "Out of Control."

So what the hell haven't you listened to in ages that you really ought to hear again?

If you start listening to your Dave Matthews albums, I'll kill you.

That said, I don't think I listen to my old Weird Al albums from when I was ten enough. Or my Spice Girls album!

Thanks for reminding me of good times, shithead. :D

Note: Just so this isn't a completely worthless post, I'd like to mention that I'm going back through my old Queen stuff thanks to this album, along with my U2 and Clash material... I find it odd that I haven't listened to any of this in a while, since these three bands are all in like my top 10... but with so many new albums to buybuybuy, who has time to listen to the old ones these days?

Funny you should bring up this topic. A couple weeks ago, I was looking over my CD's, and realized I hadn't listened to Mazzy Star's So Tonight That I Might See in at least a couple years. Popped it in on the way to work. Great album.

I own WAY too much Weird Al... (i have his Box Set, people)

I haven't listened to any Less Than Jake recently, even though I own every album they've put out (except for 2 or 3...Pesto, Live from Uranus...and maybe one other)

This week I dug out 'Lateralus' by Tool, 'Vauxhall and I' by Morrissey, all the soundgarden stuff and the 'Richard D James LP' by Aphex Twin having left them on the shelf for a while. Lovely stuff.

Funny you should bring up this topic. A couple weeks ago, I was looking over my CD's, and realized I hadn't listened to Mazzy Star's So Tonight That I Might See in at least a couple years. Popped it in on the way to work. Great album.

Oh man, that is a great album. Hope Sandoval's voice can MELT you.

I randomly put on Freddie Mercury's Mr. Bad Guy album the other day. Surprisingly good. There's even a bit that reminded me of Windowlicker.

Guest macheteofodin

I haven't listened to most of my rap and "hard rock" albums in a very long time that I've wanted to re-discover. Metal, Hardcore and Psychopathic artists (ICP, Twiztid, Dark Lotus, etc...) have been consuming my brain for a couple years. With that said...I have a fair amount of CDs I'll never listen to again (i.e. Limp Bizkit's first 2 albums and Dope's first).

I have so many cds I bought as a youth before I got the internet, that have maybe 1 or 2 good songs on it. Hell I bought a Carly Simon CD cause I wanted You're So Vain. Hahaha.......

Guest T®ITEC

I went from listening to Weezer every single day to completely forgetting about them. I'm falling in love with their self-titled album again, so that's cool.

Im listening to Audiovent's 'Dirty Sexy Knights in Paris' for the first time through in over a year...awesome record.

I might pop in Our Lady Peace 'spiritual machines' next...been about 2 years on that one...all i can remember is 'Life' and other good tracks i can only vaguely recall at the moment.

I went from listening to Weezer every single day to completely forgetting about them. I'm falling in love with their self-titled album again, so that's cool.

Hrm, same exact thing happened to me actually.

And to whoever said that they have Weird Al's box set... well, I've got that, the first album, and the three albums made since the box set came out.

WEIRD AL 4 LYFE~!

that was me, TNT...

I have...

The Box Set

In 3D

The Food Album

Al's version of "Peter And The Wolf"

Bad Hair Day

Alapalooza

Off the Deep End

Running With Scissors

Poodle Hat

...for the opposite of that...I own every Metallica album but the first one and the last one.

that was me, TNT...

I have...

The Box Set

In 3D

The Food Album

Bad Hair Day

Alapalooza

Off the Deep End

Running With Scissors

Poodle Hat

...for the opposite of that...I own every Metallica album but the first one and the last one.

But DO YOU HAVE Bad Hair Day!?

I thought not.

that was me, TNT...

I have...

The Box Set

In 3D

The Food Album

Bad Hair Day

Alapalooza

Off the Deep End

Running With Scissors

Poodle Hat

But DO YOU HAVE Bad Hair Day!?

I thought not.

See bold above...that is all.

I just pulled out a few from the realm of unknown, and gave them a spin

Silverchair: Frogstomp

Our Lady Peace: Naveed

Prodigy: The Land of the Fat

Neil Young: Havest Moon

I reciently put in a few things I haven't heard in a while.

Better Then Ezra, "Deluxe"

Seven Mary Three, "American Standard"

Candlebox, "Candlebox"

I found I still liked those...I played the hell out of Deluxe when I first got it. And it was nice to hear it again after a couple year layoff

Jane's Addiction - Nothin's Shocking

Must have been about 12 months since its last spin and that was silly because after listening again its possibly gone up in my estimation. Strong from start to finish with a distinctive style.

Sense Field - Building

I thought they split up but apparantly not, half/two thirds of a really good album. Couple of tracks grate. I remember thinking of them as a potentially really good band when I first listened to it but they could have gone more bland as likely as more interesting.

Quicksand - Manic Compression

I played the Rival Schools album to death when I first got it but now reckon Walter Schreifels earlier stuff is more enduring. Some people called this stuff emo in the mid 90's but I don't think it has much in common with the college rock sound that passes for that genre these days. Apart from a couple of tuneless hardcore shouters the albums sound still comes on as surprisingly layerd and intelligent but still direct. Music with no excess fat.

Good lord, I also busted out the Candlebox too recently. Heh, I couldn't hardly even make it through Far Behind. That CD dates badly with time.

Also listened to Pearl Jam's Ten and Vs. for the first time in a long while. Much like the Candlebox neither of those holds up all that well today. I didn't even bother with stuff like Evenflow or Alive...I've been burnt out on those for years. Garden is actually quite the underrated song however.