TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Edwin MacPhisto

The one album you own that most others don't.

There's a lot of great music out there. Too much, in fact, for any one person to hear it all, even in a lifetime. One album, then, which most haven't heard and that I think anyone should try:

d34796x11pn.jpg

The Afghan Whigs, 1965.

I think this is one of the best albums of the 90's. I always see this album in used CD sections and wonder why it's there. It came out in 1998 and the Whigs (Greg Dulli's band) broke up shortly thereafter. It's probably the best thing they ever did: soulful, sex-crazed, passionate, and great. "Somethin' Hot," "66," and "Citi Soleil" are especially lush. The first is aggressive and sleazy, the second is sensitive and sleazy, and the third is enchanting, lush, and yeah, a little bit sleazy. Especially on this album, the Whigs put together some of the thickest, smoothest backing tracks I've heard on any rock music. It's black, white, a lot of everything - rock, r&b, seduction, menace, sympathy. Rolling Stones fans especially ought to give this a listen: to me, the Whigs embody a lot of the same down n' dirty but graceful spirit embraced by the '68-'72 Stones. Dulli's a great vocalist and the whole band is in their best form here. Since the Whigs broke up, Dulli has kept up his Twilight Singers project, and their latest, Blackberry Belle, is almost as good as this. But not quite.

So, pick your one album. I could use some new recommendations.

"Water And Solutions" by Far. d11457xo2d6.jpg

It's by far and away my favourite album that I own. They managed to retain their hard edge from "Tin Cans With Strings To You", with Jonah's vocals still veering between gentle croon and frenzied yelling, but they used a touch more of a subtle edge where before they would simply have used brute force. They were often linked with the Deftones (they toured the UK together, they're both from Sacremento, they both had a sound that had elements of metal and post-hardcore), but Far, mainly due to Jonah's vocals, sounded much more raw, sadly influencing a whole wave of bands who aren't fit to shine their shows, but have much more success. Jonah has since become a fantastic singer-songwriter with his OneLineDrawing solo career.

Guest I Got Banned for Sucking

103959-resized200.jpg

This one gets the nod tonight.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

There's a few places I could go with this. Not nearly enough metalheads get any Acid Bath in their diet, and far too few people have any Zappa or Captain Beefheart.

I'll split the difference and say Clutch-Elephant Riders.

It kind of goes with anything, doesn't have a bad song on there, is fantastic drinking music, and is easy to digest. The lyrics are clever and sung in a love it or hate it manner, the riffs are catchy and plentiful, and nothing is too overbearing or too freakish.

1965 is pretty damn good, though I haven't heard it in ages.

I never hear anyone here talk about Yellow Magic Orchestra, who did a lot more for tehno and electronica than Kraftwerk. Get Solid State Survivor. Sounds like the music from Sonic the Hedgehog, and in fact the game's main programmer admitted Ryuichi Sakamoto of YMO as a big influence.

AoO, I own one Frank Zappa album - Hot Rats.

I've heard a lot of tracks from him, but not another album right through, so I have no room for comparison, but that one is tremendous and worth *****.

The Doors "The Future Ain't What It Used To Be"

Starts off with "Break On Through" from the Isle Of Wight, just a great version of this song, then settles down with covers of "Rock Me" and "Money", with the former being exceptionally good.

A never released song "Someday Soon" follows, as well as versions of "Summer's Almost Gone" "Hello I Love You" and "Go Insane" from their original demos.

A couple of Morrison poetry/improvisations are on the CD as well, "Mental Floss" and "Adolph Hitler". Not bad, good to hear if you're a Morrison fan.

Songs 11-15 are what makes the album great though. Superb versions of "The Crystal Ship" and "I Can't See Your Face In My Mind" run back to back, I believe from a live performance at The Matrix in 67. Morrison's voice was still in top shape at that point.

Then a version of "The Soft Parade" from a PBS television special, the only work the Doors could find for a while after Morrison's alleged indecency in Miami. Just a blistering version of one of their finest songs, no strings, just organ and guitar, and that makes it much, much better. Morrison's delivery really makes the song.

Finally, "Tightrope Ride" the only decent post-Morrison Doors song to come out, with Manzarek on vocals. Interesting stuff, and finally "Orange County Suite", a song carrying the record industry's tradition of new material with dead singers. This was a song Morrison wanted on the "Morrison Hotel" album, but the other band members balked. Now that they were starving for material, they took a recording he made of it, just vocals and piano, and added drums and guitar to it. It's a damn good song, a little slow, but it was good at the time to have a new Doors song to enjoy.

Recommended downloads: "The Soft Parade" (Live) and "Orange County Suite".

Guest The Winter Of My Discontent

Death From Above - Heads Up

headsup.jpg

Quite possibly the greatest Canadian musical export. Drums and bass. Thats all it is, but its sheer power makes it seem like a 5 piece. They'll be dropping their first full length major label album in August so that everyone from Timbucktoo to Iceland can check it out.

Guest FrigidSoul

Metal Church - The Dark

thedark.jpg

One of the best metal albums that alot of metal fans have never heard. Method to your Madness, Watch the Children Pray, The Dark, and Line of Death are all exceptional stand-out songs. Just below them are Ton of Bricks, Start the Fire, Psycho, and Burial at Sea. Over my Dead Body and Western Alliance to me aren't stand-out songs. They're still very good, but on an album this high in quality they're just over shadowed.

I've only known one other person who owned it (and that was a 'net acquaintance), so here goes:

B00005QC5J.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Absolutely amazing from end to end, and all streaming and continuous, with the exception of some awkward transitions were parts were taken for the American release for whatever reason (such as the beginning of "Radio"). It's silly to pick out any particular songs, because they're all so good and I think of it as a single collective piece. The best way to describe it is dance music that isn't dance music. It has a beat to it and you could easily groove along to it, but it has a certain artistic quality about that prevents you from really doing so. It's a group of DJs sorta like Fatboy Slim in that they create loads of songs just with samples, but how they do it is just tremendous in my view.

Joe Bonamassa- Blues Deluxe

Title track does it for me everytime, smokin' cover of a classic Jeff Beck tune. If you're into Blues/Rock at all, this is always a suggestion by me.

Guest Nanks

Avalanches!! Nice one Kotz. One of the Avalanches DJs played my mate's 21st party. Incredible. They're a cool band.

For me, Crowned King - Break The Silence

The Avalanches - Since I Left You

I really like this album. "Frontier Psychiatrist" is a little bit of genius, and the whole album is very chill, clever, and great for a summer afternoon or evening. Sometimes I'm in the mood for all-samples in the DJ Shadow vein, but sometimes a little warmer is better.

Shaq Fu: The Return.

~!

Last time I heard about Shaq-Fu was skimming through a Disney Adventures magazine in the supermarket seven years ago.

Guest Urine Sane

It came out tuesday, Masta Killa "No Said Date" it's greatness.

Guest Fire and Knives

I really like this album. "Frontier Psychiatrist" is a little bit of genius, and the whole album is very chill, clever, and great for a summer afternoon or evening. Sometimes I'm in the mood for all-samples in the DJ Shadow vein, but sometimes a little warmer is better.

The video for that song is sick, I tell you. Sick.

Anyway. Album.

Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - The Last DJ.

K.

The video for that song is sick, I tell you. Sick.

Anyway. Album.

Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - The Last DJ.

K.

The Avalanches make great clips. Since I Left You is interesting and fucks with you emotionally, whereas Frontier Psychiatrist is, like you said - genius.

Awesome band - I hope they never sell-out.

940947.jpg

Plague-Dirt

It's one of the best hip-hop albums I've heard. I'm surprised more people haven't heard of him.

There's a couple that I have that most folks don't own. First is Jeff Buckley

s Songs to No One 1991-1992 and the other is Ocean Machine feat. Devin Townsend's Biomech. Both are GREAT albums and should be listened to by all fans of good music.