TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vanhalen

Whats your favourite sports memory of all time?

What is your favourite sporting memory of all time, it can be from any team, in any sport, in any competition, at any level, just something you look back on and smile.

1992 NLCS, Game 3 -- the perfect day.

I was 16 years old at the time, and just months prior to this October game I became legal to drive. I did some yardwork for this family in my neighborhood and saved up to get tickets to games 3 and 4 of the '92 NLCS (Pirates v. Braves). I could have went to game 5, too, but I didn't, and I regret that becasue Bob Walk pitched the game of his life, but I digress.

Anyway, I was able to get my old man's truck to drive to the game with my best friend at the time. But before we did, we, along with a few other people, duct-taped this kid on our block to a telephone pole -- it was initiation week at our high school, and he was a freshman. Anyway, after that we went into Pittsburgh, goofed around, and watched Tim Wakefield, who was in his first season in the big leagues, pitch a complete game gem. The Pirates were down 0-2 in the series, and everyone was ruling them out. They came back to within one out of going to the '92 World Series.

I guess what made that game special was this was the first time I was "out on my own," and it was an experience I'll never forget. Of course, I went to Game 4 with another friend and almost had these two drunk guys fall on us (they got into a fight and went crashing down a dozen rows), but that's another story for another time...

I actually had to think hard about this, thats why I didnt really post what mine was to start, but one does come to mind, it was during june 96, the year that the Euro Championships had come to England, and we had made the semis, against the team everyone hates, Germany, and the whole country was seriously pumped up for the game, I cant remember an atmosphere like it, anyway, the game kicks off and we are playing well, and suddenly we get a corner after 2 minutes, sheares up and bam we score, 1-0 up against the Germans and life was perfect, of course the fucking Germans had to equalise, and then we lost on penalties thanks to Southgate fucking up, but those 3 minutes were just absoulutly perfect, it just sums up the fantastic summer of 96.

Pacers finally making the finals in 2000, clinching in the Garden

Reds winning the Series in 1990

Joe Carter's home run...even if you were neutral, like I was, it tends to live with you forever.

Colts stomping the Broncos in last years' playoffs when almost no one thought we'd win

Ray Bourque hoisting the Cup just a few years ago ... yes, it sucked that he wasn't wearing the spoked B, but it was great to see him finally realize the dream.

Honorable mention: Vinatieri kicking the gamewinner in the Pats first SB win. Damn, that was fun to watch.

4/3/2000: NCAA National Championship Game, MSU is rolling, building an 11 point halftime lead over the Florida Gators. Early in the second half on a fast break Gator guard Teddy Dupay cheapshots Mateen Cleaves, turning the MSU guard's ankle and sending him to the lockerroom. The scene in the bar in East Lansing where I was watching with my brothers and friends was one of shock, horror, and complete silence...

Then he came back out. I can't even think of words to explain the feeling, the sound, the pure excitement in the bar when Cleaves checked back into the game, ultimately leading MSU to their first championship in 21 years.

(lets just forget about the rioting mmkay?)

Guest Harry Hood

a_block_i.jpg

The only time I can remember staring in awe of a move in a game and crying after it.

This will be ultimately upended when the Red Sox finally win.

Philies beating the Braves in the '93 NLCS.

Delaware winning the National Championship last year.

2001 Eastern Conference Finals game 7. Actually that whole playoff run for the Sixers up to the finals. I was at every home game and just had a blast.

Music City Miracle. Any time the Bills lose is wonderful, but this one was extra special.

Any of the 3 "Wide Rights" by FSU against Miami.

Phillies 1993 season.

76ers 2001 season.

Dolphins giving the Bears their only loss in 1985.

Guest Choken One

1). Reds Winning 1990 World Series sweeping the Defending champion Oakland A's

2). Dale Earnhardt Junior winning Pepsi 400 at Daytona after his father's death at that same track

3). Dale Earnhardt Junior winning Daytona 500 three years after Father's death.

4). Kobe Bryant and the Lakers crying like bitches when beaten and eliminated by The Spurs last year

5). Aaron fucking Boone.

see my sig... yes it topped The Bucs winning the SB. They were good for a long time and I didn't see all of their bad years. As I stated in the Cup thread I've seen ALL of the Lightning's shit.

Raymond Bourque kissing Lord Stanley's chalice. Like nl5, it sucked that he didn't have a spoked B on his sweater, but the man was a god to me, and to see him fulfill his dream after his wonderful career was truly remarkable.

Guest Vitamin X

1.) Super Bowl XXXI. Finally, I could take pride in being a cheesehead despite never stepping foot anywhere near Wisconsin.

2.) Week 17, 2003 NFL Season- After the Pack stomp the Broncos (granted I know they played against basically all backups but anytime Green Bay beats Denver I feel a small measure of revenge for XXXII), Josh McCown goes and sends the Vikings home and the Pack to the playoffs. I was going wild that day.

3.) NBA Finals 2000, Game 6- Finally the NBA Championship returns to Los Angeles, and damn it felt good. Honorable mention goes to rubbing it in the rest of the NBA's faces the following 2 years (and hopefully this one)

4.) In high school, personal redemption for me playing high school football (this is really more like two memories)... Having been diagnosed with manic depression and institutionalized briefly earlier in the season, I return to play against another undefeated team in midseason. Coach called a screen up the middle, which we always failed to execute in practice well (because I was pretty damn short and our QB was like 6'4" so the pass never went correctly, always too high or too low), but apparently saw something in the defense and called it anyways. I end up taking it for a 65-yard touchdown, which netted me backup rights on the varsity team for the playoffs, in which I was able to put a hard hit on now-Baltimore Raven Kyle Boller while backing up now-UCLA Bruin Manuel White.

Good times for me. :)

John Elways' touchdown run in his first Superbowl victory...you could just see in his eyes that he was gonna score that TD come hell or highwater...

Tommie Frazier shaking off practically the entire Florida defense for a 60 something yard TD run in the Orange Bowl back in 95...

Another one for the Brits...

Beckham's last-gasp free-kick against Greece. Family and friends were watching, and my dad had spent the last half an hour droning on about how useless Beckham was and shouldn't be called a world class player.

When that went in, the whole place erupted...except for my dad, who just sat there like 'buh?'. So I just winked at him like 'yeah...dat's right sucka!'

Plus it was a pretty darn good free-kick.

1. Christian Laettners shot to put Duke over Kentucky

2. Tennessee beating Florida State to win the NCAA championship in 1998

3. Rickey Henderson hitting a homerun against the Reds to put the Mets in the Playoffs in 2000 (I was there, and I'm a huge Rickey Henderson fan)

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes

1994 Stanley Cup Finals. The New York Rangers break the curse. Just a fucking great moment for me, since it was the first time my favorite team won a championship (at the time, Yankees were still not too good and players weent on strike, NFL I don't even remember, and Knicks ended up losing Game 7 to the Rockets in the NBA). Yes, I'm a fan of New York teams...even the Mets (scrubs self) Still not clean!

Every Yankee moment since 1996 just about too, especially David Wells' perfect game.

Guest Smues

1992 NLCS Game 7. Sid Bream hobbles around third while I'm screaming STAY ON THIRD YOU CAN'T RUN IT'S OK WE'LL TRY OUR LUCK IN EXTRA INNINGS STAY ON THIRD and somehow he slides home and beats the tag. Fucking amazing.

Habs win in 1993

Koivu Returning in 02

The Closing/Opening of the Forum and Molson Centre

Double Gold in 02

Maradonna's Hand of God.

Weir winning the 03 Masters

Marlins beating Yankees in 03

The Lakers' memories are #1.

Derek Fisher's shot will be number one in my mind if L.A. can beat Detroit. Robert Horry's shot against the Kings is up there as well, but not at the top because I'm not a big fan of him as a player.

Right now, I would have to rate The Alley-Oop as the best moment.

One of the biggest comebacks ever in Game 7 against Portland. The alley-oop from Kobe to Shaq summarized the year, cemented the comeback, and announced the Lakers' arrival to the Finals. It had a real "holy shit" feeling to it, like you were in unchartered territory.

The Bulls' sixth and third championships, because each time I thought it would be the last, and I guess I was right about the sixth.

I'm too young to remember The Bears winning the Superbowl, but that entire 2001 season was a magical experience.

And the Cubs/Pirates doubleheader the final weekend of 2003, specifically the celebration afterwards. Brings a tear to my eye watching the tape.

Two memories, both football-related:

1) Brett Favre completing a TD bomb to Andre Rison on his second offensive play in his first Super Bowl, Super Bowl XXXI. Watching him pull his helmet off and run around the field with that massive smile on his face always makes me misty-eyed, to see that he enjoys the game that much still, as much talk as there's made of cynical pro athletes who only care about being paid.

2) Florida's final chance against Tennesee, down 34-32 with less than a minute in the game, and a 4th down pass falls incomplete, thus giving the 14-point underdog Tennessee a victory and a #2 BCS spot, but most importantly, the Vols beat Spurrier at the fuckin' Swamp in Spurrier's last home game at Florida. I was on a natural high all week after that. Probably the best college game I've ever watched.

Guest cobainwasmurdered

When Mario Lemieux was awarded the Art Ross trophy for most points in a season after coming back from fucking cancer.

you don't get more hardcore than that.