TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
5_moves_of_doom

Best SNES Two-Player Games

I'll make this quick. I've got a little extra money on my hands, and for nostalgia's sake, I might just use it to go ebay-crazy and pick up a few games for my old Super Nintendo. Now, two-player games were always my favorite (specifically co-op stuff,) and Turtles In Time and Battletoads vs. Double Dragon can only last me so long... so... for all you old-school gamers... what're some of your old favorite two-player SNES games?

Thanks for anyone who responds.

Saturday Night Slam Masters (2 Player co-op, competitive--hell, up to four players on this one, actually)

Wild Guns (Kind of like if Trigun had a game...but it came out on SNES)

Sunset Riders (Rarer than the Genesis version, but IMO the better version).

Mortal Kombat II (Best version of the game until...well, at least until Midway Arcade Treasures 2 comes out)

Contra 3 (shoot, kill, blow **** up, kick ass, take names, enjoy the awesome effects...wish I hadn't sold this game. Argh!)

Zombies Ate My Neighbors (Very cool game)

Ghoul Patrol (Sequel to Zombies Ate My Neighbors, with better...everything; nuff said)

Total Carnage (If you don't pick up Midway Arcade Treasures 2, this is worth snapping up).

Secret of Mana (1-3 players!)

Lost Vikings: Action/Puzzler.

Fatal Fury Special: Rock-solid 16-bit translation, still worth checking out if you can't get ahold of, say, a Saturn to play any of the Real Bouts.

I'd also like to take note that the SNES was totally screwed out of a good 2-Player Batman how many times. Batman Returns and Adventures of Batman and Robin really could have used a good 2-Player mode. Sure, stuff like that crappy Batman Forever game gets one but not those. Nooo!

TMNT IV: Turtles in Time is a good choice. It's not as good as the arcade, but a fun beat 'em up. I've heard some say that X previous game was better, so others may wanna chime in on that since I'm not sure.

Knights of the Round was pretty awful. I adore scrolling 2D beat-em-ups (I even bought Power Rangers: The Movie for the SNES) ,so I liked it, but compared to Final Fight series and S.O.R, it doesn't offer much.

Of course, my fondest 2 player memories belong to Capcom, specifically anything Street Fighter related.

Speaking of missed-opportunities with the 2 player co-op genre, I *really* wanted X-Men: Mutant Apocalypse to be a 2 player game, as with Marvel Super Heroes. That could of been something special.

UYI

Donkey Kong Country (original one)

Mortal Kombat

Family Feud

Super Alfred Chicken

..alright, the last one isn't two players. Just take turns.

Seriously, though, buy Super Alfred Chicken. Oddest (and my favourite) game I've ever seen.

The superior DKC2 doesn't have the 2 Player option? I remember it had some issues in the first one, namely you still only control one character at a time, although you can "steal" control back and forth as you wish.

King of the Monsters

Oh, Animaniacs is also a co-op action game--made by Konami! Damn fun too, although I haven't played it in a while since it's just not as fun without 2 players.

Censorship aside, Samurai Shodown is still a pretty good game.

The superior DKC2 doesn't have the 2 Player option? I remember it had some issues in the first one, namely you still only control one character at a time, although you can "steal" control back and forth as you wish.

I'm almost positive there was a 2 player mode on there...i can sorta remember playing that with my brother back in the day, he's 8 years younger than me so you can imagine how frustrating it was trying to beat a game with him...

Lemmings is the absolute best 2 player game on SNES. There's so many different things you can do and different ways for stages to turn out it never gets old.

Bomberman 2

Super Mario Kart - if you don't own a N64 or gamecube and can't play the better versions

Contra 3

Battletoads in Battlemaniacs (although it's not as good as the one for NES)

Guest CronoT
Speaking of missed-opportunities with the 2 player co-op genre, I *really* wanted X-Men: Mutant Apocalypse to be a 2 player game, as with Marvel Super Heroes. That could of been something special.

UYI

That was back when Capcom was hating on Nintendo.

Lost Vikings

YES. That game can be hella fun.

Oh, and get The Peacekeepers. It's a side-scrolling beat-em-up, and has the best feature ever: Angry Mode.

Esentially, when you get the snot beat out of you, your character can get angry; this means they become invincible and all their moves become much much better. There's nothing more satisfying then getting extremely pissed off because you're getting stomped, and then getting angry and tossing people around the screen like rag dolls.

Oh, and you can German Suplex people the length of the screen. Awesome.

Motherfuckin' Bomberman.

Street Fighters are gold.

Contra 3 for sure.

FFIII is multiplayer, and it ain't so grat in that aspect, except it's like one of the top 10 games ever.

I wish Shadowrum was multiplayer.

Oh!Oh! and Goemon Legend of the Mystical ninja isn't a super game, but it's really fun if you have friend.

Saturday Night Slam Masters

Contra 3

TMNT IV

Secret of Mana

Super Smash TV

Bomber Man

No one else said Lemmings. Does that mean none of you played 2 player Lemmings? :o

Either that, or they don't really think of Lemmings as an SNES game. Probably most people played that on a PC.

Everyone has some really good winners, I'll double up a few as in "I second that!"

The series of games known in Japan as "Rushing Beat" and in America under "Rival Turf" (Not so good) "Brawl Brothers" (a sleeper redeemed by it's "Japan Mode" code) and "Peace Keepers" (good-ish.) Brawl Brothers in particular has all kinds of quirky stuff that is fun to uncover. A 2d beat em up that lets you throw your Med Kit or Turkey Dinner at enemies had some kind of crazy ajenda!

Saturday Night Slam Masters or Muscle Bomber in Japan. I contend that this game is BETTER on SNES than in the Arcade. Had one of the meanest computer AI's this side of a SNK Neo Geo boss. Allows 2p co-op and 4 player vs. Capcom usual attention to detail is amazing and helps this game shine.

Super Contra (Contra 3?) is likely still the driving force behind all the poor sequels we've been getting lately. It is that good.

Fatal Fury Special is quite possibly my favorite game of all time but not so great for co-op. To put it in perspective I own a stand up arcade box of this and Final Fight.

Which leads me to Final Fight 2 and 3. Final Fight 2 is fine, a messy followup that allows co-op and threw in gratuitous Street Fighter 2 refs. Some people really liked Maki and Carlos for some reason on the A.G.SF2 newsgroups. Final Fight 3 showed real steps to help bolster the sagging series with Meters that allow flashier specials and much improved (on the Snes side) graphics and is reccomended slightly higher than FF2.

TMNT: Turtles in Time is an example of a great Arcade port to SNES. Lots of variety in moves will let you beat it a couple of times but otherwise is a bit short.

Super Double Dragon is probably the slowest paced beat em up you will ever play. Really deliberate play style and rewards you for studying and reacting properly to the enemies. Our cart would sometimes lock up on the "elevator" stage near the end, grr! We STILL played it!

Mario Kart features psuedo co-op by challenging for the cup in a split screen where you can try and keep the computer down and one of you always in first place. This game is so good that there are fans who will tell you neither of the 3d sequels are better games!

Secret of Mana if you have a multitap you can play this 3p co-op. As a 3p RPG it actually will take you time to beat making it really difficult if you have flaky friends! Worth all the effort you can put into it.

Legend of the Mystical Ninja is an amazing, campy and funny 2p co-op with all kinds of different elements thrown in. Sort of a River City Ransom with more side scrolling and less leveling.

Super Smash TV put it on hard mode and play it untill you get all the Pleasure Domes and secrets. You are now a much better gamer! Big prizes! 2p co-op is frustrating with a partner that "sucks."

I don't know what it was, but I always was obliterated in Super Double Dragon. Often to the point where I'd throw the cart across the room and attack the nearest relative. I never truly grasped the mechanics of it enough to even play the game through at a normal pace.

I much preferred Streets of Rage.

UYI

Fatal Fury Special is quite possibly my favorite game of all time but not so great for co-op.

It doesn't even HAVE co-op.

But you have a MVS? What other carts do you have besides FF Special? How many slots is the board?

I'm getting a dedicated one slot cabinet soon with Real Bout.