TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RavishingRickRudo

LOST

7. Locke (great in a knife fight, looks to have jobbed against Ethan)

So did Jack the first time

Jack was injured and Ethan would have been Island Champion for his win. Jack took the title in their last fight. Locke hasn't beaten anyone or really done anything physical to warrant a high standing.

Guest Brian
But Jack? The guys a doctor that was bullied as a kid. If he can beat someone's ass, then so should Jin.

Sometimes those guys who got bullied take some fighting style and come back stronger.

Guest Brian

I remember reading something a while back, speculation, so I'm not sure if this needs a spoiler tag or not, but here it is:

I'm starting to think that Sun's going to die leaving Jin totally isolated and taking it really hard, turning into an uber bad-ass. They're going to get back together and he's going to seem like he's integrating them bam! She kicks it.

Guest Evolution
Yesterday was the first day I didn't see him as 'Gavin' anymore, and actually identified with him as 'Jin'. I think that's the biggest thing this episode did for me.

I think I reached that point with Harold Perrineau about five episodes in, myself.

No more Augustus. Just Michael.

Unless he starts rolling around in John's wheelchair.

I stopped seeing him as Hill a little while into the show, I think the drastic chage in hair helps that. I don't see Dan Kim as Gavin from Angel...basicaly cause he doesn't speak any English.

Guest Evolution

It takes a lot of work for me to remember that Jin was in 24 before as well, even if it was a guest role.

Thanks to The Fuselage forum, we can get a little more insight into Jin from Daniel himself. On November 12th, 2004 and again on November 14th, he visited the main forum and answered questions. While he of course wouldn't reveal anything about future episodes, he could tell us some about where he thinks Jin is and where he may be going.

[When will we find out Jin's backstory?]

I was told that my episode will be around number 15 or 16.

The date of Jin's "backstory" episode has been announced! It will be episode #17, shown February 23rd and is called "... In Translation".

[Responding to questions regarding Jin's likability]

As far as Jin leaving people pretty cold, all I can say about that at this point is that if I didn't know anything more about him besides what's been aired, I'd feel the same way. I have to admit, it was a little hard reading so many posts saying how many people HATE this character, but I guess that means I'm doing my job as an actor. I like to think I'm a little nicer than that in person. ; ) As far as what the future holds... I think you'll see a lot of different colors in Jin. Much like Sawyer in last night's episode, I think we'll learn more about what events in his life hardened him, and maybe... just maybe, you'll be able to sympathize with him. The great thing about playing a character like this is that there are so many places to go when you start off where he does. I can't wait to see how life on the island spurs his evolution.

[is Jin "a bad guy"?]

Definitely not. Everyone's life has circumstances that determine who they become. Nobody who's a jerk thinks of themselves that way. They just think they're behaving the best way they know how in order to get what they want. I think in Jin's particular case, his circumstances are pretty extreme...

[Where do you see Jin going in the future?]

I am definitely looking forward to interacting with other people on the island. I think needs to discover for himself where he belongs, and what his value is to the community. I'm actually curious to see how the writers are planning to handle that, given the language barrier. Then again, that could be a great source of a lot of drama - and comedy! As far as a love interest goes, there's no one else for Jin but Sun. He's pretty much sacrificed his life and identity for her. I think if she were to leave him, it would leave him heartbroken beyond words. But who knows what the future holds...

While at The Fuselage forum, Daniel also talked a little about his other work, this show, his fellow Lost actors, and some of the challenges of playing Jin.

[On speaking Korean]

Speaking Korean has been one of the biggest challenges of my career. It adds another element to my process when I prepare, and I've also been working to smooth out my Kyungsangdo accent. For those of you who don't know, I'm from Busan, where the people speak in a southern drawl! It's more melodic, with it's own slang. It's sometimes hard for people from Seoul to understand. Thankfully, Yunjin (who's from Seoul) has been really great about helping me! I have to say though, I'm so honored to have the opportunity to speak the language of my ancestors.

As far as my acting style, I think it is different when I speak Korean. I find that I take on certain mannerisms of my father - not that he's like Jin - but there are differences in the way people from different cultures use their bodies. I think that happens to me as well.

Which actually reminds me of an on set story, in one of Jack's earlier monolgues, he addressed the whole group of us about settling in preparing for the long haul. In one of takes though, I noticed he was looking at me while he was speaking. I couldn't help smiling, and after a while I blurted out, "Don't look at me. I have no idea what the heck you're saying!" We all laughed. I don't think he's looked at me since.

[Responding to various questions and posts regarding his Korean accent]

So let me be clear about my Korean because I've read some really harsh criticisms of it on some sites, and I'd be lying if I said I didn't find them a little hurtful. I am as proud to be Korean as I am to be an American, and I care very deeply what the Korean community thinks of my work, as well as the show in general.

For the record, Korean is my first language. I came to the US when I was 2. Though I continue to speak Korean with my parents, English quickly became my primary language. There's nothing like being around a bunch of nasty elementary school kids to make you want to assimilate FAST. : ) I still speak Korean, contrary to what I've read about me, but my Korean could use some work in two respects: Number one, I have a Kyungsangdo accent (my entire family's from Busan - for more on that see my previous posts) and as I've gotten older I'm sure an American accent has seeped in there a bit as well. Number 2, because I've only spoken with my parents, my vocabulary is what I would call on the "household" level. So I do have a coach (with whom I speak exclusively Korean) who's been helping me with these things, and Yunjin's been incredibly generous with her help as well. As I said the other day, speaking Korean on camera has been one of the biggest challenges of my career - from learning new vocabulary, to softening my accent, AND at the same time trying to play intentions (you know, that stuff that actors do : ). It's been a lot of work - but totally worth it, for so many reasons.

For those of you who think my Korean's not good enough (especially you folks from Seoul and parts north!) I apologize and can only ask for your patience. I'm deeply committed to working as long as I need to to develop the "standard" Korean pronunciation. I will say though, that my friends and family from Busan have had absolutely no problem understanding me, and I've also gotten my share of compliments - thank you!

Just know that one of the things I'm most proud of on this show is that Yunjin and I actually get to represent the culture and speak the language of our ancestors. I feel so lucky to have that opportunity, and I'm doing my very best to do justice to it. What's more, I think the diversity of our cast represents a major step forward for all of network television, and I firmly believe it's one of the many reasons for the show's success. I give so much credit to J.J., Damon, the writers, and the network for giving us this, well, gift. I'll end with some food for thought: how many times have you seen a primetime network TV show with 50% of its dialogue in another language? And some of it not even subtitled! Pretty groundbreaking, don't you think?

So sorry for the long post, but I thought it would help to clear the air. And if you ever come across any of the posts (and posters) I'm talking about, feel free to send 'em over here. It might be good for them to know my thoughts on the subject. I hope that answers your question.

[How is it working with the rest of the cast, particularly Harold Perrineau who plays Michael?]

One of the best things about being on this show is how great everyone in the cast is. I know every actor says that, but in our case it's true. We've actually been getting together at each other's houses every Wedneday night to watch the show together. the person who's featured that night hosts everyone else. Pretty cool, huh?

And Harold Perrineau? Amazing actor and amazing man. I'm so lucky to have gotten to know him and work with him. Hopefully someday Jin and Michael will be as good of friends as Daniel and Harold.

I also have to say that every week, I am amazed by the talent we have here. From writers, directors, crew, and actors, I am constantly surprised at how good everyone is at their job. I've been around long enough to know that doesn't happen often.

[Answering various questions about his role on Angel]

Re: Angel, I had a great time working on that show, and I think it met an untimely demise. Thankfully though, it let us bring over our esteemed Mr. Fury... And Stephanie, what can I say? She's so great. She was the cast member who made me feel the most welcome. She was really kind, especially considering that I came in after a really well- liked characters exit. They were tough shoes to fill, but I was glad to be able to join in. And how many people can say they were killed, turned into a zombie, and THEN beheaded!

[Why did you come to visit the forum?]

Because I'm a big supporter of forums where we can interact with our audience. (I'm also a big computer geek - shhh!) When David told me about the site, I told him I wanted to check it and voila! Here I am.

[What do you do in your spare time?]

I got certified in scuba diving during the pilot, I've been learning to play guitar (we're gonna start a band with all the talented musicians we've got on this show - ever heard Naveen play? WOW), and I'm playing a lot of tennis - sometimes even with Harold Perrineau!

More DVD news:

USA Today published the first official news on Lost earlier today when they announced the six disc set would be released on September 6 for a suggested price of $60 ($59.99). Here's what they had to say:

Lost - The Complete First Season will hit stores Sept. 6 (Buena Vista Home Entertainment, $60). Among the extras on the six-disc set: deleted scenes, casting tapes, bloopers and a featurette featuring photography by series star Matthew Fox.

We're told that the list of extras isn't complete, and more will be announced when the official press release goes out. We were hoping that this would be a 7 disc set, since 6 discs will barely hold the 24 episodes found in season 1, and could limit the amount of bonus features planned for the set.

Our thanks to all the readers who brought this to our attention, but especially Alyssa Kaplan, who was the first to alert us, and sent us the online link to the story. The article also contains information on Desperate Housewives, which we've posted in a separate news item.

Update:

Home Media Retailing also ran a story about the Lost DVD set which included some details missing from the USA Today article:

Lost: The Complete First Season will feature five hours of bonus material, including the original pilot, behind-the-scenes footage of the making of the show; audio commentaries, a blooper reel, roundtable discussions with cast and crew, and a Matthew Fox photography featurette.

How's that all going to fit onto 6 discs? Thanks to Scott Lovelace for this news.

These are two articles from the AP and USA Today that I thought everyone might enjoy.

O'Quinn finds belated stardom on 'Lost'

By Frazier Moore, AP Television Writer

NEW YORK — As the mysterious Locke on ABC's suspenseful Lost, Terry O'Quinn glories in his rich role. Locke, of course, was stranded on a tropical island with dozens of other passengers after their jetliner crashed in the opener. Since then, he has emerged as the series' mystical patriarch, a shamanic presence living his back-to-nature dream after a lifetime spent as a clerical schlub. Or is he just a nut job acting out a long Wild Man Weekend? Or a psycho ready to blow?

Don't ask O'Quinn, who Lost viewers first met planted on the beach silently gazing out to sea. While the camera rolled, "I tried to think of heavy things: 'What does this mean?' That's what I thought. And 'What the hell do we do now?'"

Months later, he is still not sure if Locke is sinister or noble, delusional or divine — or all the above. And he was as surprised as anyone by perhaps the series' most electrifying episode. Locke, in a flashback before the flight, was revealed to have been a paraplegic. Then, seen in the present on the beach, he rose, almost biblically, to his feet: Somehow he was healed!

"I didn't even know that I had been handicapped until we shot that episode," O'Quinn says with a laugh.

What he does know is that Lost is a genre-busting smash (by turns thrilling, spooky and tantalizing) that, from its September premiere, had critics agog and viewers snagged. (It airs 8 p.m. ET Wednesday.)

He also knows that Lost is steady, challenging work for a journeyman actor who has waited 30 years for this kind of break.

A rangy man with a shaved head and a where-have-I-seen-that-guy? kind of face, O'Quinn has been around plenty. Films include 1984's Places in the Heart, the X-Files feature, Old School and (in the title role) 1987's horror classic The Stepfather. He has been on Broadway, and his scads of TV appearances include recurring roles on JAG,The West Wing and the spy series Alias, which was created by J.J. Abrams, the mastermind of Lost.

But as 2004 began, O'Quinn and his wife, Lori, had logged "a couple of years from hell." An actor who has chosen never to live in Los Angeles and long ago took his leave from New York, "I was at home in Maryland, no work, nothing going on. I told Lori, 'We gotta toughen up. We can fold, or we can lean on each other and play the cards that were dealt us.'

"Then J.J. called about Lost. I said, 'I'll take it' — not a strong negotiation stance.

"He said, 'You won't have a lot to do in the pilot, but it will develop into a more satisfying role.' I said, 'I'll still take it.' I counted my blessings, and Lori and I flew to Hawaii."

On Lost,"O'Quinn joined an enormous cast of featured regulars who also include Matthew Fox (as a sexy doctor), Evangeline Lilly (a dishy jailbird), Dominic Monaghan (a rock-star junkie), Jorge Garcia (a fat guy who says "Dude" a lot), Naveen Andrews (a former Iraqi soldier) and eight others. In all, there are supposedly 48 refugees trying to gain rescue and, in the meantime, forge some semblance of a civilized community.

Good luck. Desperation and conflict keep these castaways at odds. Spectral beasts and island cohabitants stalk them. And everyone, it seems, has secrets — secrets to which even the actors aren't privy until each script arrives.

Otherwise, O'Quinn reports, the show's producers "don't tell anybody much about what's going to happen, or has happened before. But I don't have any problem with that. I go on what I've got. It gives me the freedom to play things the way I want. Then, if they want it another way, I do it another way."

The series is filmed on Oahu, with five or six of each episode's eight shooting days spent outdoors, often at the beach location on the island's north shore.

The pilot was shot there a year ago. Then filming resumed July 15, which happened to be O'Quinn's 52nd birthday.

Revealing his bent for numerology, O'Quinn notes that five and two equal seven, and that July is the seventh month, then reels off other instances of seven looming large in his life.

"I told Lori, 'Things are at a crossroads. And if Lost isn't the crossroads, it's the bridge to the other side.' I believe in fate."

Fate has been mighty good to Lost so far. But even a believer like O'Quinn has kept his head: "I'm always being the old warrior, telling everybody, 'Don't buy a house. Let's be patient and see how it goes. Do good work — that's all.'"

A native of a small town on Michigan's Upper Peninsula, O'Quinn fell into acting in his teens, then, as his college graduation neared, "I didn't want to look for a real job. So I decided to see if I could make it as an actor."

He met his wife-to-be a few years later, when, appearing in a play in Baltimore, he learned he was cast in Michael Cimino's Western epic Heaven's Gate. With a sudden need for riding lessons, he tracked down Lori, an instructor on her family's farm outside the city.

Then, when his play closed and he ran out of money waiting to be summoned to Montana to shoot his scenes, he struck a deal with Lori's parents to muck stalls in exchange for a room and more lessons. Three months later, in September 1979, he left to do Heaven's Gate. In November he and Lori were married. Heaven's Gate was a legendary disaster. But they've been together 25 years (which adds up to seven).

Now, with their two sons off at college, "I feel like we're back to how we were when we first got together," O'Quinn says. On Oahu, they rent a house in the hills "with live boar outside our window and cocks crowing in the morning. It's paradise."

On the most recent Lost, Locke declared that "Everyone gets a new life on this island." And that maybe includes the actor who plays him, a long-familiar face who might at last be a star.

"It would be nice to think about more doors opening, to be able to pick and choose roles," O'Quinn freely admits. "But I'm not anxious to go anywhere else right now. I could do this for a while."

By his reckoning, at least seven years should be a Locke.

Dude, he's a real fan favorite

By Bill Keveney, USA TODAY

It might seem difficult to stand out in a cast of 14 regulars.

But not for Jorge Garcia, who plays Hurley, the laid-back dude on the ABC hit Lost.

He's distinctive for his size (6-foot-1 and 300-plus pounds), especially in a prime-time TV world populated by the ultra-thin.

But it's more than that for a character who has quickly become a fan favorite. The wild-haired Hurley provides a welcome respite from the suspenseful, harrowing events of Lost (Wednesday, 8 ET/PT). "He's a regular guy. I think that appeals to people. And he lightens up the intensity of the show," says Garcia, 25. "A lot of times I'll find people telling me I'm their kid's favorite."

What makes him distinctive to fans? "Hmmm ... size, hair, his interest in others and humor," says Courtenay Cross, a moderator of fan Web site lost-tv.com. "He is the needed comic relief for the mysterious events that go on."

So far, on an island of secrets, a few fragments of Hurley's background have been revealed. His real name is Hugo Reyes; he's a bad speller and his salutation of choice is "dude." He built a two-hole golf course for fellow crash survivors who needed a break from battling polar bears; conducted a passenger census that revealed outsider Ethan; and showed up, mysteriously, on Korean TV during a flashback in last week's episode.

Viewers will learn more tonight in an episode that focuses on Hurley, last of the Lost 14 to receive the life-story flashback treatment. On the island, he takes off in search of the French woman, Rousseau, who tortured Sayid (Naveen Andrews). The mystifying cable that led Sayid to Rousseau's lair also returns, Garcia says, speaking by telephone from Hawaii, where Lost is filmed.

In his flashback, "You see what brought him to Australia," where the flight originated, says Garcia, who grew up in Southern California. "It has a Citizen Kane-style ending. There's a Rosebud moment."

Garcia, who performed at open-mike nights while attending UCLA, started building a TV following with a role on CBS' Becker. He sees parallels between himself and Hurley: Both are "easygoing, get-along-with-everybody kind of guys, (but) I'm pretty sure I can spell better."

Similarities shouldn't be a surprise. Lost's writers reworked the Hurley part - originally an older character - to fit Garcia.

J.J. Abrams and Damon Lindelof, two Lost creators, wanted to cast Garcia after seeing him play a drug dealer in HBO's Curb Your Enthusiasm. They saw a comic talent but also an actor with an emotional core, Lindelof says.

"He could read the phone book and make you laugh," says Carlton Cuse, who oversees Lost's writing staff with Lindelof. "When you see his episode, I think people will be surprised by the emotionality."

Fans relate to Hurley. "While we may respect Jack's (Matthew Fox) initiative or Locke's (Terry O'Quinn) survivalist skill, it's refreshing ... to see someone getting squeamish at the sight of blood," says Emily Rawn, 23, of New York.

Although Hurley has flat-out comic moments, others are tinged with sadness. After Charlie (Dominic Monaghan) apologizes for accusing Hurley of hoarding food, he mutters, "Yeah, I'm used to it."

"The best comedy also breaks your heart a little bit," Garcia says.

Garcia, who is single, is happy to be in Hawaii - his parents have visited - and thrilled to be in Lost. He acknowledges being an unlikely candidate for a cop or lawyer role. But Lost does give Garcia some action moments.

"In the pilot, getting to do that run-and-jump explosion scene - I was high-fiving Matty (Fox)."

Ok, so let's see what this episode really told us...

The numbers are etched on the hatch that Locke & Boone found.

The French woman heard the numbers as a distress signal and shipwrecked onto the island. The "sickness" came and she murdered all of them.

Hurley was possibly in a mental institution in the past and got the numbers from a friend, obviously mentally ill, spouting off the numbers repeatedly. This friend was in the Navy...

The numbers brought bad luck to everyone around him....which is why the plane went down.

But it seems like all of their paths led to the island...

So, what do the numbers mean? I think the hatch leads to some sort of an island expermination center, which is what gave the rest of them "the sickness". It may be what crept into Boone's mind...making him see things.

The other people on the island, whispering...probably created the monster.

Dames

Only six weeks until we find anything out!!

Great episode. Locke is the man.

Happy Birthday, Claire.

Wow, that was hot. Top 5 episode??

Locke is awesome. Guess what? HE'S NOT A GOOD GUY. He is just trying to get close to Claire to find out about Ethan. The man has alterior motives. He is a total Brother Justin (thats for you, Curry).

Hurley is awesome. The scene with the French Chick was so fucking good. I wonder if we could find a connection with Hurley and every survivor on the island?

JIN!

I'm glad Sun still loves Jin. If she went with Michael, I'd fucking curse the world.

SAWYER!

No reason for this.

KATE!

Continues to not suck in her limited role.

HURLEY!

So awesome. Great work. We all knew you brought down the plane.

4!

How many people are on the island? What was the last number? Fuck, they are fucking with our heads. And its amazing.

We have 6 weeks to figure it out.

From another board: the numbers are 4, 8, 15, 16, 23 and 42.

4 and 8

FOUR. Denotes creative works (3 + 1), and always has reference to the material creation, as pertaining to the earth, and things "under the sun", and things terrestrial.

EIGHT. Denotes resurrection, regeneration; a new beginning or commencement. The eighth is a new first. Hence the octave in music, colour, days of the week, etc. It is the number which has to do with the LORD, Who rose on the eighth, or new "first-day". This is , therefore, the Dominical number. By Gematria (see above), (Jesus) makes the numbers 888. It, or its multiple is impressed on all that has to do with the Lord's Names, the Lord's People, the Lord's works.

Sign in to follow this