TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest curry_man2002

ecw rise and fall dvd

Ok, am I right in thinking the 'main' part of the DVD is going to be in the same sort of style as "The Monday Night Wars", as in it's a a mini-documentary...and then, the matches are bonuses.

If so then I'll be getting it regardless of the matches, just to see how they play this.

Seriously...the matches aren't supposed to be the selling point of this DVD. Monday Night Wars had 4 matches and a bunch of skits. I already own the last four matches, but the matches aren't really what the DVD is being brought out for. If that makes any sense.

Not having Taz/Awesome/Tanaka from Anarchy Rulz is beyond me. Considering it was Taz's last match in ECW before his entrance to the WWF, wouldn't you think that would be THE match they'd want to show considering Taz is the most popular ECW superstar to ever go to the WWF (unless you want to count Foley and RVD)?

I am ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTED there is no Shane Douglas material on this.

Why? Douglas probably isn't letting WWE do anything with him on the dvd or vicea versa. We all know Douglas and the WWE have problems so I wouldn't be surprised if he is completely based in the dvd.

The sad truth about Shane Douglas not being on this disc is that for the most part he was never really all THAT good. Sure, he held the belt on ECW a bunch of times, but there were always guys doing better stuff than him elsewhere on the show. And after him holding the title through 1998 when he was hurt (they didn't strip him or anything), it's fine by me that they didn't include him in the matches.

Now, comments on the matches:

The Pit Bulls vs. Raven & Stevie Richards

2 out of 3 Falls Dog Collar Match for

ECW World Tag Team Championship

Gangsta's Paradise - Philadelphia, PA - 16.09.95

(This is actually a rollicking fun match, and oddly the only ECW match Scott Keith ever gave *****. It's kinda sloppy but one of the strongest storyline driven matches you'll see. I can see it being on here.)

Rey Mysterio Jr vs. Psichosis

2 out of 3 Falls

Hardcore TV - Philadelphia, PA - 17.10.95

(I'm fairly sure I've seen this if it's the N2R 95 match. If it's not, then I dunno what it is. I'd bet it was cool though, but neither of these guys exactly define ECW in my book.)

Mikey Whipwreck vs. The Sandman

Ladder Match for ECW Championship

Hardcore TV - Philadelphia, PA - 28.10.95

(Well, you had to have them on here. Personally I'd put Mikey and Tajiri vs. the FBI, which was an insane classic match where literally 3 of the 4 guys had a career night.)

2 Cold Scorpio vs. Sabu

ECW World Television Championship Match

CyberSlam - Philadelphia, PA - 17.02.96

(Never have seen this one, probably bad ass.)

Tommy Dreamer vs. Raven

WrestlePalooza - Philadelphia, PA - 06/06.97

(Alternate Commentary)

(This is already on the Wrestlepalooza DVD, and it's a blast from a story perspective. One time where run ins seriously amplified a match in my view. Captivating.)

Tazz vs. Bam Bam Bigelow

Living Dangerously - Asbury Park, NY - 01.03.98

(Alternate Commentary)

(This is mostly about the ring collapsing, since the stuff leading up to it wasn't all that thrilling. Rematch was good, though I might put a time limit draw with Bigelow/Taz/Sabu on here.)

Rob Van Dam vs. Jerry Lynn

Hardcore Heaven - Poughkeepsie, NY - 16.05.99

(Alternate Commentary)

(This match was runner up for MOTY in PWI in 1999, but I saw at least 2 or 3 matches with them that were better. This one has a bit too much stalling by RVD and the Lynn injury. Can't put the L.D. 99 match since it had the retarded stuff with the ref wanting to give Lynn the belt on a TIME LIMIT DRAW. The 2000 match had the lame Scotty Anton heel turn, so no. The GAC 2001 match wasn't really notable or anything. Thus, the match I'd put on here would be a forgotten early TNN one from the ECW Arena. The heat for that match was just amazing.)

1. Doesn't Douglas own the rights to the ECW matches he's participated in?

If so, that'd answer everyone's questions.

2. Does the WWE own the entire ECW library? I know that they can't use Joey Styles' name or commentary without his permission, so the area there is pretty shady.

The sad truth about Shane Douglas not being on this disc is that for the most part he was never really all THAT good.  Sure, he held the belt on ECW a bunch of times, but there were always guys doing better stuff than him elsewhere on the show.  And after him holding the title through 1998 when he was hurt (they didn't strip him or anything), it's fine by me that they didn't include him in the matches.

To me ECW was:

1) Funk vs Cactus Jack

2) Raven vs Dreamer

3) The Dudley Boys as the #1 heels in the company

4) Sabu and his roll of athletic tape vs the world

5) Taz with his motto Fuck The World

6) Triple Threat

7) New Jack, Balls Mahoney, Axl Rotton garbage matches

8) R-V-D Mr. Self Promotion

9) Luchadores and Japanese wrestlers bringing in the workrate

10) Joey Styles (OMG, HOLY SHIT, CATFIGHT), Joel Gertner (The Quintessional Studmuffin), Cyrus (the virus)

do we really need to see Candido, Balls Mahoney, Axl Rotten and New Jack again?

Yes and we need to see the cheese shredder, frying pans, staple gun, and the rest of the plunder that New Jack brought to the ring in the trash can. Hell it can be one of the Spike & New Jack vs the Dudley matches.

Here's a few good reasons why they were/are being omitted from the "extra matches" section, just off the top of my head:

1. None of their matches had any historical significance to be singled out.

2. Neither wrestler was/ or is affiliated with the WWE, where they could therefore shed light on the matches they've done.

3. Neither wrestler simply wasn't any good.

4. Other wrestler(s) did that match, and frankly did it better.

5. Most of these matches would be too violent to show on an WWE release, without getting people up in arms.

Guest ally mccoist
Not having Taz/Awesome/Tanaka from Anarchy Rulz is beyond me. Considering it was Taz's last match in ECW before his entrance to the WWF, wouldn't you think that would be THE match they'd want to show considering Taz is the most popular ECW superstar to ever go to the WWF (unless you want to count Foley and RVD)?

It wasn't his last match in ECW. His last match was against RVD at NTR99. Regardless it rules and should be on there anyway. At least one Tanaka/Awesome match would be nice.

And Shane Douglas does NOT deserve to be included on this DVD. Ever since he left ECW he has done nothing but piss on it's legacy, and I hope they tear him a new one.

So? Why shouldn't he rip ECW, when Paul Heyman bounced his checks and lied to all of his talent? Considering Douglas was there from the beginning and knows Heyman better than almost anyone, he has every right to tear Heyman and ECW a new asshole.

ECW might not have existed had it not been for Douglas' mic skills back in the day. Wasn't much of a wrestler, but before his promos started getting repetitive, he was very charismatic.

To me ECW was:

To me, Taz was pretty godly once he turned uber heel at N2R '95, all the way up through the Barely Legal rematch. His face turn was decent, but his character was never quite the same.

It wasn't his last match in ECW. His last match was against RVD at NTR99. Regardless it rules and should be on there anyway. At least one Tanaka/Awesome match would be nice.

No, it wasn't.

Mike Awesome was still the ECW champ when he went to WCW. He came back to ECW for one night only just to drop the title to Tazz who was in WWF at the time. Yes, it was WCW vs. WWF in an ECW ring.

Tazz then wrestled his last match in ECW at Cyberslam 2000 where he dropped the title to Tommy Dreamer. Dreamer lost the title to Credible the same night...

I have never really understood why people seem to hate Shane Douglas, as a wrestler fine everyone is entitled to their opinion, but people seem to classify him as being as big an asshole as HBK.

Douglas was a nice enough guy to let Mick Foley stay in his house for free when they were both training, Mick, a wrestler famous for being nice, and Douglas became friends. He has always put over the other talent, except Ahmed Johnson.

The people he had problems with Flair and the Clique were famous for being assholes. He stuck with ECW on his second time around through a lot of crap. It is reported that Heyman owes Douglas more money than anyone.

In WCW he became friends with smark favorites and always put them over in his interviews.

I have never heard anyone, whose opinion I respect, say anything bad about Douglas. Yet, people seem to relish the shit that has happened to him, I have never understood why.

If there is some shit I do not know about could someone tell me.

Guest ally mccoist

No, it wasn't.

Mike Awesome was still the ECW champ when he went to WCW. He came back to ECW for one night only just to drop the title to Tazz who was in WWF at the time. Yes, it was WCW vs. WWF in an ECW ring.

Tazz then wrestled his last match in ECW at Cyberslam 2000 where he dropped the title to Tommy Dreamer. Dreamer lost the title to Credible the same night...

Yeah I forgot about that. But I meant to say the NTR99 match was his last match before going to WWF, which i'm pretty sure it was.

Guest Dynamite Kido

I am surprised that a lot of people thought that this would be better. From the beginning I was skeptical about this, as I didn't think that the WWE would put out a ECW DVD that would be something that the ECW hardcore fans would enjoy. But then again, it's surprising that they would even release something like this in the first place.

We never seem to learn, do we? I'm guessing they didn't put a lot of Cactus Jack matches because some were already in the Mick Foley's Greatest Hits and Misses DVD. I also remeber reading in a Torch newsletter that there were rumors of an RVD DVD in the works, which is probably the reason RVD only has 1 match in the ECW DVD.

I love ECW. First live wrestling show I've ever seen and one of the best times at a public sporting/art event I'll ever have in my life.

But man on man they could've picked better stuff for that DVD.

I was watching Tajiri/Psiocosis from my Deep Impact DVD the other night and that match smokes every single thing that is on this one.

I'm just wondering why they picked the bad RVD/Lynn match. Are they trying to make Lynn look bad with him being dead weight when knocked out? Because that'd be hilarious.

I wonder who the alternate commentary is? Coach and one of the people in the match?

The sad truth about Shane Douglas not being on this disc is that for the most part he was never really all THAT good.  Sure, he held the belt on ECW a bunch of times, but there were always guys doing better stuff than him elsewhere on the show.  And after him holding the title through 1998 when he was hurt (they didn't strip him or anything), it's fine by me that they didn't include him in the matches.

To me ECW was:

1) Funk vs Cactus Jack

2) Raven vs Dreamer

3) The Dudley Boys as the #1 heels in the company

4) Sabu and his roll of athletic tape vs the world

6) Triple Threat

7) New Jack, Balls Mahoney, Axl Rotton garbage matches

8) R-V-D Mr. Self Promotion

9) Luchadores and Japanese wrestlers bringing in the workrate

10) Joey Styles (OMG, HOLY SHIT, CATFIGHT), Joel Gertner (The Quintessional Studmuffin), Cyrus (the virus)

I feel the same way about ECW too, just like the shirt used to say:"It's not for everyone!" because ECW was something special and WWE stole almost everything from them.

I wish like hell they would add Taz vs Dreamer from Cyberslam 2000. The match was never shown on TV and the video was never released. All you see is Dreamer with the belt after the match (before he gets beat by Justin)

I wish like hell they would add Taz vs Dreamer from Cyberslam 2000. The match was never shown on TV and the video was never released. All you see is Dreamer with the belt after the match (before he gets beat by Justin)

Agreed.

I still have no clue what happened in that match and not seeing Tommy get the 1-2-3 just doesn't feel right.

It really is like just showing him getting his hand held up after finally beating Raven. It just doesn't feel right and there is no reason the WWE won't show the footage now. None.

Yeah, I can imagine WWE not letting them use it on TNN when it happened. But even if it's a shit match I want to see it.

Also would have killed them to add some Dudleys vs Eliminators. Or Dudleys last night in ECW when they lost to Dreamer and Raven (great stuff)

Would it have killed them to add ANY matches from the back half years of the company?

There were lots of great matches towards the end of the company as well so I am confused why the DVD just ends the matches at 1999 and most of the matches are already purchased on DVD by the ones who are going to buy this DVD.

If they had been smart, they would have made the bonus matches some of the ECW best that never made it to Pioneer DVD. The Sabu/2COLD match was a step in the right direction but then they just stumbled.

Guest Valcourt

I wonder how the "alternate commentary" is going to be. Joey Styles always seemed to care about the storyline.

I have the Tazz/Dreamer Title Change on tape, from the arena.

Tazz comes out to his WWF 2000 Theme. Tommy comes out to "Man in the Box", Dreamer came out first.

They do some go-behinds, and a duck clothesline spot. No other "high impact" spots were hit, although Tazz escaped Dreamer's attempted DDT. The match lasted roughly 2 minutes.

The finish saw saw a series of "sunset flip"-esque reversal sequences (see: Jericho/Guerrero from Clash of the Champions 35). Tazz had Tommy in the "post-powerbomb" position, using his arms to hold Tommy's legs down. Dreamer grabbed Tazz by the head, flipped him forward into the sunset flip position, and scored the pin. Weak ending. ESPECIALLY considering Tommy was getting the World Titlew after so long.

2. Neither wrestler was/ or is affiliated with the WWE, where they could therefore shed light on the matches they've done.

Huh? Spike Dudley is the current WWE Cruiserweight champ, Bubba Ray and D-Von are the top heel tag team on SmackDown, Chris Candido used to be part of the Bodydonnas in the mid-90's, and Balls Mahoney was Xanta Klaus in 1996.

3. Neither wrestler simply wasn't any good.

The Dudley Boyz had some damn fine matches in ECW and the WWF/WWE, Balls Mahoney was a charismatic undercard brawler, and Chris Candido worked his ass off all the time and has had MANY good matches.

5. Most of these matches would be too violent to show on an WWE release, without getting people up in arms.

Which is why you obviously put a TV-MA rating on it, or at least make sure the buyer knows what they're in for by saying "Due to the graphic nature of the content in this DVD, viewer discretion is advised."

Same here. I wonder why they never showed that match.