TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
WrestlingFan4Ever

Star Wars Trilogy DVD Set

The way that Lucas looks at the new order of the films, 1-2-3-4-5-6, is this. He says that for one generation, the big thing was the shock of "No! I am your father!" but for future generations the big thing about the films will be that the viewer will know the truth, and the shock on our part will be replaced by the suspense of the viewer knowing the truth all along, but Luke does not.

As for me, when I show these films to my young children I'll make sure they watch them in the order that all of us have, 4-5-6, then the more recent 1-2-3.

Luke most likely went back to Yoda between ESB & ROTJ to finish his training.

Doesn't Luke tell Yoda in 'Jedi' that he's come back to complete his training? I thought that implied he hadn't returned since Empire.

I'd like to see a definitive SW timeline, if there is one.

Regarding the sequence of events and the viewer knowing about the Vader/Luke lineage, we don't know for sure that the name "Luke" will even pop up in Episode 3. Take if from the POV of someone new to the entire Star Wars series. Say in Episode 3, Padme gives birth to twins. If their names are never announced before the end of the movie, the viewer would never know that the skinny desert kid in Episode 4 is related to either Leia or Vader. Sure, there will be subtle (or not so subtle) hints for all the viewers in the know, but if its not spelled in Episode 3, then there might not be any overt clues connecting Vader to Luke (and by extension Leia).

This is all speculation of course, and won't really be finalized until Revenge of the Sith is released. And for all the anti-Lucas sentiment, I for one am excited about both the final chapter of the series and my eventual purchase of the OT DVD set.

Doesn't Luke tell Yoda in 'Jedi' that he's come back to complete his training? I thought that implied he hadn't returned since Empire.

Luke told Yoda in ESB that he promises he'll return to complete his training...in ROTJ he tells R2D2 he's going to degobah to keep a promise to an old friend... as Yoda lay dying, Luke says there is so much more he needed to teach but Yoda tells him he knows enough...to me that whole deal says he hasn't been back since ESB...he most likely learned stuff on his own between ESB and ROTJ...

If, after watching 1-2-3, and seeing the life story of a guy by the name of Anakin Skywalker, including his turning to the dark side in Episode III, you do not know that Darth Vader is Lukes father, then I really really feel sorry for you.

Regardless of your age.

"Shadows of the Empire" by Steve Perry (not the guy from Journey) was created as a "bridge" novel between ESB and ROTJ, and has Luke start to come to grips with all the shit thrown at him during ESB.

Of course, if you're not into the Expanded Universe like I am, you could look at it this way - Luke got his ass beat and basically got a second chance at life thanks to Leia and Lando. That probably got him to realize that he needed to get his shit together if a) he wanted to become a true Jedi and b) if he wanted to defeat Vader and the Emperor.

Here's an unofficial one. The online version is down, but you can download a Word version.

If, after watching 1-2-3, and seeing the life story of a guy by the name of Anakin Skywalker, including his turning to the dark side in Episode III, you do not know that Darth Vader is Lukes father, then I really really feel sorry for you.

Regardless of your age.

D'oh! :bonk:

I completely forgot that Anakin had a last name. Shows how much I liked Episodes 1 and 2, no?

Just to toss this out, while people are discussing Padme's death:

The theory I heard, and that I enjoy most, is that Padme is killed by Palpatine while Anakin watches. This would tie in very nicely to the end of RotJ. Basically, have Palpatine try to force out some information from Padme (like where Anakin's kids are, since Palpatine knows his kids would be a threat) with Force Lightning. Anakin just stands there and watches. He just lets it happen. This becomes the moment Anakin dies, and Vader is born.

Then, at the end of RotJ, the opposite thing happens: Vader watches Palpatine fry up Luke, but decides to do something about it. Thus, he is redeemed, and everyone is happy.

Question: How the hell does Luke become so advanced in the ways of force? Didn't he train with Yoda for like 2 days?

Luke is naturally very strong in the Force. He probably didn't need to train as much as others would.

1) I know that it's 30 years between Episode 1 and Episode 4...and 10 years between Episode 1 and Episode 2...but how long of a time frame is it between Episodes 4, 5, and 6?

According to the EU it is three years between 4 & 5, and then a year between 5 & 6.

According to George Lucas on the new DVD set, the original trilogy takes place over about 10 years.

She has to be alive after Anakin turns because he did not know she gave birth to twins.

That doesn't mean she gave birth after he went to the darkside. Maybe she had a reason to hide the pregnancy, birth and children from Anakin before he turned. Maybe Anakin was away on Jedi business while all of it was going on.

Anakin knew she was pregnant. In ANH, Obi-Wan gives him a lightsaber when Luke is at his home.

"Your father wanted me to give this to you when you were old enough."

But Anakin obviously didn't know about Leia.

After watching the originals this weekend, I'm left with the impression that Kenobi perhaps knew about the Death Star to some degree before it was constructed. In ANH, he almost immediately refers to it as a space station despite Han's opinion. Maybe I'm just reading too much into that but it would make sense if it turns out to be the case.

In regards to the time between ESB and ROTJ, I believe I read somewhere that it was 6 months.

well, being a jedi I just assumed Obi-wan could just tell that it was a space station...perhaps 3 will shed some light since they did show the battle plans for the death star in 2...

well, being a jedi I just assumed Obi-wan could just tell that it was a space station...perhaps 3 will shed some light since they did show the battle plans for the death star in 2...

Well, maybe Lucas can make one of Kevin J Anderson's more questionable plot devices (Death Star prototype in a stable pocket near a black hole) make sense. The least he could do, really, since he cribbed the whole Sith history from Anderson's "Tales of the Jedi" comics...

Coruscant was first used in Heir to the Empire. Before, it was known as Imperial Center, although it was never actually said. Other than that... nothing that I'm aware of. But then again, the majority of the novels happen after ROTJ. It'd be nice to throw the EU fans a bone though. You know, Palpatine finds a young red headed girl or something.

The Sith stuff comes from comics, so it doesn't count.

Luke told Yoda in ESB that he promises he'll return to complete his training...in ROTJ he tells R2D2 he's going to degobah to keep a promise to an old friend... as Yoda lay dying, Luke says there is so much more he needed to teach but Yoda tells him he knows enough...to me that whole deal says he hasn't been back since ESB...he most likely learned stuff on his own between ESB and ROTJ...

It might just be that Luke having survived the fight with a Sith master training enough to qualify himself. Face Vader and finally reject the darkside, (something Anakin clearly couldn't do) is more than enough to graduate... so to speak.

It might just be that Luke having survived the fight with a Sith master training enough to qualify himself. Face Vader and finally reject the darkside, (something Anakin clearly couldn't do) is more than enough to graduate... so to speak.

He survived because Vader turned on the Emperor. That doesn't happen, Luke's just another dead Jedi apprentice...

Hey, I'm just wondering...this is only slightly off topic...

I heard there was a Darth Vader vs. Darth Maul comic somewhere out there...

Has anyone ever read it? If so, what's it about?

Hey, I'm just wondering...this is only slightly off topic...

I heard there was a Darth Vader vs. Darth Maul comic somewhere out there...

Has anyone ever read it? If so, what's it about?

I remember it back around the time Ep 1 came out.

I didn't actually buy it, I just saw it at a Waldenbooks and leafed through it out of curiousity. Don't remember anything about the plot, just that Vader won.

starvenger, if I'm not mistaken, Cheesala was referring to Luke facing Vader in ESB rather than the battle in ROTJ.

You might be right. I was just thinking that Vader was never actually a Sith "master", so that probably got me sidetracked...

Supposedly, Dash Rendar's ship can be seen briefly in the sky over Mos Eisley in ANH.

I haven't seen it, but I never really looked for it, either.

It is there.

Where?

Supposedly, Dash Rendar's ship can be seen briefly in the sky over Mos Eisley in ANH.

I haven't seen it, but I never really looked for it, either.

It is there.

Where?

In one wide-shot of the city in the speeder, a ship flies across the street and then turns away from the screen and flies off. That ship is the Outrider.

I haven't heard about an EpIII trailer being out there. I'm positive the first teaser will be shown at theaters on November or December. Still, I could be wrong. Otherwise, I heartly recommend you buy the box set, Dama, and watch the Return of Vader featurette.

Iheard there was a Darth Vader vs. Darth Maul comic somewhere out there...  Has anyone ever read it? If so, what's it about?

There was only a "Who would win" type segment in an Wizard issue. The authors decided to give the win to Vader, since he was more powerful.