TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
WrestlingFan4Ever

Star Wars Trilogy DVD Set

Having gone through everything on these DVD's I have one major complaint....and it has to do with the director of the best film of the three.

All Irvin Kirshner does on the commentary is describe what's going on on-screen. Everytime he talks it's like this "Now here's Lando, he's an old friend of Han, but he seems real angry at Han, is he mad?....Ah...No he gives him a great big hug cause he's happy to see him...." Say what you want about Lucas but he has a lot of interesting information regarding the trilogy when he makes his comments, and he never recites what's on screen.

You know what, George? Fuck you. I hope you don't make a penny from this

He won't make a penny. He'll make several million, that's for sure.

My copy should arrive any day now, I can't wait to see that Vader featurette.

BL: I showed both the "Return of Darth Vader" and "Episode III: Making the game" featurettes to some friends, and all of them are psyched for Episode III, even though most of them were "Eh... I might see it" before.

Very good promotional material indeed.

I for one could care less what Lucas did to the films and how he edited them because Star Wars is finally on DVD.

I was supposed to get my copy today, but the UPS guy already came and went before I got home... I hope I get it today, but I can wait until tomorrow..

As for the extras, I saw the documentary on A&E, and the wonderstruck 8 year old in me started coming out. I am going to enjoy this series, and I have the trilogy on VHS too, so if I feel any outrage over the Greedo scene, I can always pop in the tape and cue it up to that point.

I'm old enough to say that I know I am going to be happy with this, and its something that I will be happy that it is a part of my growing DVD collection.

And Lushus ain't the only black geek on here.

A buddy of mine is getting it today. Wal-Mart is selling the whole thing for only $40!!!

Guest MikeSC

OK, after watching the long documentary --- am I the only one who thinks that his claim to have written all 3 parts at once and that he planned on Luke and Leia being siblings to be TOTAL bullshit?

He said he edited and cut it --- and he CHOSE to include an implied incestuous attraction in the first SW flick? Not a chance.

The TV spots for "Empire" had the best closings ever (an explosion ending with Darth's helmet appearing).

Also, was I the only one shocked that they included a trailer for "Revenge of the Jedi"? I always assumed he disposed of ANY references to that movie's original subtitle.

-=Mike

Guest Salacious Crumb

It's Lucas, oh course he's full of shit on things like that. The only times his movies turned out well was when someone else directed them.

OK, after watching the long documentary --- am I the only one who thinks that his claim to have written all 3 parts at once and that he planned on Luke and Leia being siblings to be TOTAL bullshit?

He said he edited and cut it --- and he CHOSE to include an implied incestuous attraction in the first SW flick? Not a chance.

If you keep saying something, eventually it becomes the "truth".

I don't think that his claim is total bullshit - it's entirely possible that he had an outline for a few movies, but definitely the truth has been mixed up with myth.

I know in one of the earlier drafts of the first Star Wars films that they are indeed brother and sister. I believe it is the second one. I don't remember the Leia character even being in the first draft.

Regardless, he definitely had it in mind by ESB (witness the final comment Yoda makes in the film) and they still make out at the beginning of that film too.

Why not?

It makes sense within the story. THEY don't even know they're brother and sister.

Besides that, with their inherent Force powers, they probably felt some sort of attraction to each other through that, but only later learned it was a sibling thing, not a love thing, know what I mean?

I always thought Luke came to the realization to quickly that Leia was his sister. I mean I know it was through the force and everything but it was like

"Your sister"

"Leia!"

Guest MikeSC

Why not?

It makes sense within the story. THEY don't even know they're brother and sister.

Besides that, with their inherent Force powers, they probably felt some sort of attraction to each other through that, but only later learned it was a sibling thing, not a love thing, know what I mean?

It's just...ugh.

I always imagined he wrote ESB and ROTJ simultaneously (considering how badly SW was viewed by Fox before its launch, planning on sequels at that time would have been insane) --- but that he did not have their family tree plotted out whatsoever.

Even if they didn't know they were related --- it just seems like really shoddy editing and planning on his part.

And, hands --- who here thinks Kurt Russell would have sucked, hard, as Han Solo?

-=Mike

do yourself a favor and watch the Episode 3 trailer first...

Wow, the small footage of the fight scene between Anankin and Obi-Wan that they showed really got me excited for Episode III. Great little fuckin teaser.

If you search for it online, you can find a video of even more footage from episode III. I saw it months ago, and it was great.

Still, my expectations for III are very, very, VERY low. I refuse to get excited over that film seeing how I just simply don't trust Lucas to direct a solid film.

Guest MikeSC

Wow, the small footage of the fight scene between Anankin and Obi-Wan that they showed really got me excited for Episode III. Great little fuckin teaser.

If you search for it online, you can find a video of even more footage from episode III. I saw it months ago, and it was great.

Still, my expectations for III are very, very, VERY low. I refuse to get excited over that film seeing how I just simply don't trust Lucas to direct a solid film.

Ditto here. Lucas has had three less-than-stellar SW movies thus far (ROTJ, while nice, had the disconcerting presence of the Ewoks, indicating a desire to market a wee bit too much to the kids).

I couldn't have imagined Lucas churning out 2 flat-out DULL Star Wars movies --- but he's done so thus far.

I also really don't like Hayden Christiansen in anything and Ewan McGregor managed to make Alec Guiness look too madcap and zany. It's amazing how much this series misses Han Solo.

-=Mike

And, hands --- who here thinks Kurt Russell would have sucked, hard, as Han Solo?

-=Mike

:Hands up waving frantically:

I don't care about the changes- the picture quality rocks, we got commentaries, and an awesome sneak peak at Episode 3 that peaked my interest again.

Guest Salacious Crumb

Yeah, the Prequels have killed my Star Wars fandom. I think the only reason I'll even bother seeing the third in theatres is because I've already invested my time with the first two.

The first two were so bad that I even stopped reading Star Wars novels for about 5 years.

Just finished watchin Episode IV today on DVD, a thing of beauty.

Having not seen the movie in a few years. I have to say that my

Favorite 2 parts of the movie:

1. Luke looking at the 2 suns of Tattonie *sp* with the Instrumental playing in the background

2.The ending, The celebration of Luke, Han and Chewie and once again, the Instrumental part adds to the flow of the scene.

I'm sure theres more but those 2 moments gave me chills.

-=Mike

Still weird Christopher Walken was Lucas' original choice for Han!