TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MarvinisaLunatic

Iron Chef America the Series

A new weekly series of episodes of Iron Chef America starts this Sunday on Food Network at 9pm. Its basically the same as the weeklong series that aired last year, except that they are bringing in some pretty good chefs to challenge the Iron Chefs (Flay/Batali/Morimoto/Cat Cora, first female IC). Im actually very anxious to see the first episode which will feature Bobby Flay vs Rick Bayless with Buffalo as the theme ingredient. If everything is on the up and up (which its probably not), Rick Bayless would easily beat Bobby Flay.

Im guessing the theme ingredient favors Bobby Flay quite a bit, and I would be shocked if he loses. In fact, I've already seen more detailed spoilers on the dishes and, Im not too sure if the celebrity judges will like Rick Bayless' buffalo in salsa huitlacoche (corn fungus salsa).. I dont know if I would either for that matter.

Schedule:

Jan. 16: Bobby Flay vs. Rick Bayless of Frontera Grill, Chicago Battle Buffalo

Jan. 23: Mario Batali vs. Roberto Trevino of the Dragonfly, San Juan Battle Catfish

Jan. 30: Bobby Flay vs. Ming Tsai of Blue Ginger, Wellesley, Mass. Battle Duck

Feb. 13: Mario Batali vs. Michael Laiskonis, pastry chef of Le Bernardin, New York

Feb. 20: Masaharu Morimoto vs. Rob Feenie of Lumière, Vancouver

Feb. 27: Bobby Flay vs. Govind Armstrong from Table 8, Los Angeles

March 6: Masaharu Mori-moto vs. Roberto Donna from Galileo, Washington, D.C.

March 20: Mario Batali vs. Scott Campbell from @SQC, New York

April 3: Mario Batali vs. Anita Lo from Annisa, New York

April 3 at 10 p.m.: Cat Cora vs. Alex Lee from the Glen Oaks Country Club, Old Westbury

What happened to Wolfgang Puck? I thought he was one of the original American Iron Chefs?

They moved Kitchen Stadium America to New York, and since Wolfgang Puck is based out of California and has a hectic schedule as it is it didn't make sense for him to continue on. And since Morimoto is based out of Philly, he was asked to come aboard.

Wonder if the Challengers get to choose an Iron Chef to battle?

Looking forward to this quite a bit. I assuming Puck left either because: he's either too busy, not paid enough, or just didn't like the pressure. Who cares though, Morimoto is alot more fun.

Feb. 20: Masaharu Morimoto vs. Rob Feenie of Lumière, Vancouver

That's the battle I'm definitely most looking forward to. For anyone in the US who hasn't seen his show (which runs on Food Network Canada), rob Feenie is an excellent French cuisine chef who runs one of the nicest restaurants in Vancouver. He's fun to watch on TV as well.

Part of me wants to absolutely hate this show (as I absolutely HATED the American Iron Chef specials they did a couple months back). A big part of that is because the original series was so good, and another huge part is, of course, that I absolutely loathe Bobby Flay and I firmly believe in my heart that pretty much any victory he receives is completely and totally rigged.

Didn't he supposedly beat Sakai in the specials? Uh-huh. Proof positive that the fix is in. There are no known universes in which Bobby Flay beats Hiroyuki Sakai in a cooking contest.

Still, I might give this show a look or two, if only because I like Morimoto and Batali.

The thing about American judges is that they're wimps about food. Gross, fish eggs. Liver? Gross! etc.

Gilbert fucking Godfried isn't going to pop a piece of turkey sashimi in him mouth and say that it reminds him of being a young boy flying a kite in the summer.

If I was a chef and someone went eww I don't like mushrooms I'd snap and ask them if they wanted a fuckin' Totino's pizza.

Guest Brian

I think the reason he won, is just because Morimoto and Sakai's styles are so different and the flavors are foreign. Let's face it, Bobby Flay puts Mexican food on a plate or throws a blue corn in a dish and calls it haute. And that's hot and trendy, and people are used to seeing it. Good chefs, like Tom Keller, go belly-up sometimes in environments like New York where the public just isn't ready to accept their genius.

I hate the announcing especially. I like Brown, and he's knowledgable, but it was just him solo last time and it doesn't have the translation value. And the sideline reporting is a sideshow.

Now, if only Emeril would bring his overrated ass into the arena...

322nl-42.jpg

About as close as you'll get.

Bender: But the true Zen of flavour is not found in a coliseum. It is found in a small kitchen, with friends. That is why I decline the title of Iron Cook and accept only the lesser title of Zinc Saucier which I just made up. Also it comes with double prize money.

Didn't he supposedly beat Sakai in the specials? Uh-huh. Proof positive that the fix is in. There are no known universes in which Bobby Flay beats Hiroyuki Sakai in a cooking contest.

My personal thoughts on that was that the specials were "pass the torch" matches. There's no way that your Iron Chefs should lose their first match, and to beat Sakai is the equivalent of getting the rub from Hogan in '91.

However, a lot of this is based on the Puck-Morimoto match. In a fair match, Puck would probably wipe the floor with Morimoto, but we'll never know since Morimoto didn't really try. I mean, while Puck was making some whacked out shit, Morimoto made... tomago? Not exactly earth-shattering stuff from a man known to push the limits of Japanese cuisine.

I hate the announcing especially. I like Brown, and he's knowledgable, but it was just him solo last time and it doesn't have the translation value. And the sideline reporting is a sideshow.

I agree. Brown in the Hattori seat is perfect, but I think he needs someone to play off of. I don't care even if it's W, just get someone else in there. Kevin Brauch just doesn't seem very comfortable on the floor, and besides, noone can to Ohta-san on the floor...

I agree. Brown in the Hattori seat is perfect, but I think he needs someone to play off of. I don't care even if it's W, just get someone else in there. Kevin Brauch just doesn't seem very comfortable on the floor, and besides, noone can to Ohta-san on the floor...

That was one of the only things I didn't like about the specials. There needs to be a second man in the booth. The show seems too quite compared to the original.

Does anyone think the lack of a studio audience helped or hur the specials?

Guest hhheld_down

i may check it out but like many here, I cant stand bobby flay. Ive never tried his food so maybe i cant judge but it looks like i am not missing anything. his wins one previous shows are completely rigged, and it shows. as long as flay is not on it could be OK, but no where near the original

I've been to one of Bobby Flay's restaurants in New York, and the food was very good. To be fair, my entree wasn't the best at the table, but was still worth the money.

Does anyone think the lack of a studio audience helped or hur the specials?

I'd probably say helped, because then you didn't have IC fans pissing, moaning and posting everywhere about how it wasn't really IC and such.

I could also point out how Iron Chef USA had a horrid audience, but I don't think that's a real valid point because a) I figure that the MGM Grand was giving away tix as a comp, so the audience didn't really care one way or the other and b) it's not like the audience was the only shitty thing about those shows.

So Bobby Flay, the man who did a fucking dance on his cooking stuff (twice), is on ICA? Oh geezus, I ain't watching. No matter how much I love watching Sakai and Morimoto making great food, I just can't watch it knowing that ICA promotes Flay.

I think the reason he won, is just because Morimoto and Sakai's styles are so different and the flavors are foreign. Let's face it, Bobby Flay puts Mexican food on a plate or throws a blue corn in a dish and calls it haute. And that's hot and trendy, and people are used to seeing it. Good chefs, like Tom Keller, go belly-up sometimes in environments like New York where the public just isn't ready to accept their genius.

Flay actually does southwest more than mexican cuisine. Rick Bayless does authentic Mexican cuisine, which is kinda different from southwest cuisine.

And I read that they got Alton Brown to provide the humor that was inherent in the translation from Japanese of the original.

I watched this tonight, and found it very enjoyable. Much like the Japanese version, and having the sideline reporter and the chefs talk is a good compliment to Alton in the booth.

I'll bet that one point came from Julie Chen because she liked how Flay plated that "do-it-yourself" salad (his last dish, I think). This should become regular Sunday night viewing for me.

I'll bet that one point came from Julie Chen because she liked how Flay plated that "do-it-yourself" salad (his last dish, I think). This should become regular Sunday night viewing for me.

Yeah, I thought the Chenbot filled the role of "giggly bimbo of the week" quite well...

Anyways...

- Brauch and AB worked well together, and I think the lack of a studio audience really helps them, as they can easily interact with the chefs.

- Nice to see the sous chefs get put over, something we didn't normally get in the original (lost in translation maybe?).

- I'm still not liking the Chairman "choosing" the challenger's opponent. Sure it's just showmanship (since the IC is chosen ahead of time) but it'd be kinda nice to have that little bit of flair...

- more thoughts as I think of them...