TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Youth N Asia

Favorite TV shows that lasted a season or less

Best TV shows to only last one season or less. I have a few but I'll just start with Wonderfalls, great show, crappy network (Fox), crappy timeslow (Fridays at 9). Only lasted 4 episodes before getting the axe, funny as hell and finally out on DVD.

Oh, I'd have to say

Undergrads

Clone High

3-South

I believe it was 5 Stan Hoopers that never aired. In fact the unaired Stan Hoopers have been airing in England. I'm hoping fakenews.net puts that episode up for download like they've done the other Hoopers.

Undeclared was another amazing show

"The Jury" by "OZ" Creator/Head Writer Tom Fontana on Fox (Notice a Pattern here?) last Summer. Also, "Playmakers" on ESPN was cancelled after 1 Season because ESPN must not piss off The Gods of The NFL If they want their Sunday Night Football Deal to continue. Pathetic. :(

I liked Playmakers a lot better than I expected too. Got very good ratings, but ESPN yanked it cause the NFL told them to.

10-8: Officers on Duty and UPN's very short lived Haunted were both pretty good too.

From a few years back: "Cupid" with Paula Marshall and Jeremy Piven. A very well-done romantic comedy about Piven, who believed that he was the earthly incarnation of the god Cupid, forced to live as a mortal man on Earth as punishment from Zeus for his troublemaking. Before he could return to Olympus he had to help 100 couples find true love. Paula Marshall played his social worker / psychiatrist (which was a punishment of her own, as I believe she was forced to be so as part of some community service requirement).

The show was at times very humorous and light-hearted, but wasn't afraid to frequently delve into the dramatic. It unfortunately got stuck with horrible timeslots (the first was on Thursdays, I believe, against ER - back when ER was still good - and then shuffled to Saturday nights, where it did better, but its target audience lamentably wasn't at hope to see it), and that was that. Which is a shame, because even though the show must have debuted something like 5 years or so ago, I still remember it fondly.

A more recent pick: Fox's "John Doe". Pretty decent Friday night thriller / suspense, with a very intriguing cliffhanger season finale. Fox has been quick to cancel anything stuck at the Friday 9 p.m. slot ever since X-Files was moved to Sundays.

From the vaults of syndication: The syndicated "Crow" TV show, starring Mark "Chairman Kaga" Dacascos. This was from around 4 or 5 years ago. While obviously not as good as the movie, it was a perfectly fine hour-long fantasy-drama based upon the Crow franchise, and actually did well enough in the ratings that a second season WAS greenlighted, but alas the company that produced it was bought out post-season and the new owners didn't want to bother producing new episodes.

Aeon Flux had one season? I'da sworn it was more. I've never seen a single episode, but it seemed like I was hearing about it for a long time.

Also, "Playmakers" on ESPN was cancelled after 1 Season because ESPN must not piss off The Gods of The NFL If they want their Sunday Night Football Deal to continue. Pathetic. :(

It was a pretty easy decision to make, if you're going to fault ESPN for pulling the plug.

The God, the Devil, and Bob.

That show was fucking horrible.

I was hyped to see it after hearing so much about it, so I rented both the DVDs from Netflix. It was seriously groan inducing. There were episodes where I didn't laugh once.

Fucking According to Jim will make me laugh once during an episode.

But I disgress.

As a fan of Unhappily Ever After, I liked The Help. It was so incredibly offbeat that I found even the unfunny jokes to have a certain charm to it.

Run of the House, starring Joey Lawrence, which was the lowest rated series of the 2003-2004 season if I remember correctly, I loved watching just because it was such a trainwreck.

I had fun watching This Just In on Spike TV the few times I saw it. The fact that it was done in flash allowed the jokes to be incredibly current, which helped its cause a bit.

I loved Do Over. Too bad it was in the Thursday death slot.

I never got the opportunity to see it, but I heard good things about Platinum.

And let me not forget about FASTLANE. I loved this show, and after it popped a huge rating for its first episode, I was expecting it to well. Unfortunately, it didn't, so it, John Doe, and Firefly all got the ax thanks to the same exact night. And the next season, Boston Public, Luis, Wanda Sykes, and Playing It Straight got it. And I don't even know what they have in that slot this season.

Guest Hass of Pain

I would go with ABC's "Miracles" with Skeet Ulrich. That show was genuinely fucking creepy at times, with the premise being Ulrich was a preacher sent to investigate miracles from God, but you were supposed to eventually find out that Satan was behind the miracles and the end of the world was coming. Great, dark stuff and I would love to see it on DVD some day.

I just picked up Freaks & Geeks on DVD and its HILARIOUS. One of the better shows I have seen in a while. I'm almost positive it only lasted one season.

Guest JMA
Aeon Flux had one season? I'da sworn it was more. I've never seen a single episode, but it seemed like I was hearing about it for a long time.

I believe there was only one season of the regular series. However, the character was first introduced in a series of silent shorts on MTV's Liquid Television.

Undergrads was a lot of fun and it's a shame that the series ended the way it did. The last episode left one looking forward to the next season.

The new version of Dragnet had one really good season before ABC shunted it off to Saturdays and basically let it die.

Murder One's first season was probably the best single season of TV for any show ever. After originally cancelling it, it was brought back for an abbreviated second season with about half of the cast discarded, then cancelled for good.

I also agree with whoever mentioned Fastlane. It was campy, fun stuff that looked cheesy but you could quickly get hooked on once you started watching it.

Heres another vote for Clerks....ABC has never dropped the ball fo badly before, since and most likely ever again. Greg The Bunny gets my vote as well.