TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ravenbomb

The One and Only Batman Begins thread

I'd love to see this series go for about 6 movies, but that might be impossible to keep your cast for that long. I hope these come out every other year instead of every 3 or 4.

Hopefully we will get to see the following characters:

Joker---a definite

Harvey Dent/Two Face---seems likely

Dick Grayson---show Batman training him, but not let him join him until much later

Bane

Penguin---high-class robber instead of sewer dwelling freak

Riddler---ultra-smart like in Hush

Harley Quinn

Catwoman---only if they can make her the master "cat burglar" that Batman is attracted to

And returns/cameos of Zsasz, Scarecrow and Ra's.

The writer has actually said in an interview that the plan is to do Joker in the next one, and then have Two-Face in the third (possibly being scarred during Joker's trial). of course there's no guarantee david goyer will be back, so we'll see.

Guest SP-1

The casual moviegoer should never, ever determine the way this series goes.

Ever.

Then it gets sold out to popular tripe and will lose the darkness. We already know what happens then. Let's avoid it. You know what the casual moviegoer really wants? To not have their intelligence insulted. You give people a good, engaging story and you've got them. The ones worth getting anyway.

I do agree with you on that. I think one reason the Schumacher films got so cheesy is because the casual moviegoers got a bit weirded out by Batman Returns and wanted something a bit lighter.

It's a balance really. They can't constantly do bizarre and remote things merely to appease geeky fanboys either. Doing a hard hitting Joker film...fine. Having Ra's Al Ghul be the main heel in every film from here on in...eh.

Is anyone else planning on seeing this movie again? I may go again on Friday.

If I'm able to I will--I missed some things people were mentioning.

I'm trying to see it again before I start getting War of the Worlds hype in my system.

You should get that checked out. Sounds serious. :P

Am I the only one who simply doesn't see Robin working as a serious character in a live action film?

Guest Askewniverse
Is anyone else planning on seeing this movie again? I may go again on Friday.

I've already seen it twice, but I'll probably see it again.

Am I the only one who simply doesn't see Robin working as a serious character in a live action film?

No. I actually hope they don't use Robin in the new Batman franchise. Adding in a sidekick would only take away from the focus on Batman.

Guest El Satanico

I think he could, but not as a twelve year old in the original Robin outfit. An older more serious Robin could work, but i don't want him involved.

You know what the casual moviegoer really wants? To not have their intelligence insulted.

You think most of them care if their intelligence insulted? Most of them don't even want to have their intelligence challenged, and would rather watch mindless crap. Most casual moviegoers just look at movies as cheap entertainment, not as an artform.

Guest SP-1

I really don't believe that, man. Hollywood believes that and so puts it out. Stupid people are the result of a society that refuses to make them think. But I don't believe people really want to be that way, there just aren't many known* alternatives.

*known being the key word for alot of people.

I've seen it 3 times already and plan to catch it as a double feature with EPISODE III at a nearby Drive-In soon.

Guest El Satanico

I don't want to believe it, but I've seen too many examples to not believe it.

I'd like to think declining tickets sales is audience saying "we aren't gonna take this crap anymore", but it's because people would rather stay home and watch the much cheaper DVDs four months later.

Just saw it. The only complaint I have is making look Scarecrow weak. I mean a taser set him away? I hope that's not the last time we see him, and Ra's Al Ghul, two of the more interesting characters in any superhero movie(to me). I thought we should have seen more Scarecrow throughout the movie, although it was good to see the movie actually centered around Batman this time. I'm definitely watching this again, and looking forward to a sequel.

*Thumbs up on the voice changes from Bruce Wayne to Batman.

From imdb.com

Holmes Dropped from 'Batman' Sequel

Christian Bale, Michael Caine and Morgan Freeman have signed to star in a second Batman movie, but love interest Katie Holmes has been dropped. Movie bosses are thrilled with the response to Batman Begins - it took $46.9 million in its first weekend at the US box office - and have snapped up the film's stars for a sequel. Bale as Batman was the first to put pen to paper, followed by Caine as butler Alfred and Freeman as Bruce Wayne's business associate Lucius Fox. But Holmes won't reprise her role as district attorney Rachel Dawes - reportedly because Warner Bros is angry her engagement to Tom Cruise has stolen media attention away from the movie. A source tells Pagesix.Com, "Everyone is in agreement that the movie's strength is with Christian Bale, Michael Caine and Morgan Freeman." Adding of Holmes, "She won't be in the sequel... the next romantic interest will be a much stronger actress. Warner is happy that people are now focusing on who'll be playing the Joker rather than Katie and Tom."

Guest JMA

I have no real strong feelings toward Katie Holmes one way or the other. I'm just glad we're getting a sequel (with the Joker!).

... Well. That's stupid and petty. I mean, I'm as sick of the Katie Holmes/Tom Cruise bullshit as the next guy but WB's source sounds like a jilted ex-boyfriend. "We don't need her! We're getting a much BETTER actress and she'll be sorry she ever got engaged to that guy!"

Guest JMA

Since ALL super-hero movies have a love interest, which character will it be in Batman Continues? Talia? Julie Madison? Selina Kyle? Silver St. Cloud? Vicki Vale? Since it's too early to use Catwoman again (IMO), I think they'll use Talia.

Bruce Wayne and James Bond need a sitcom.

I do however wish that any Batman franchise would find a good female character and stick with them for more than one film.

Here's hoping that Oldman comes back. He is Batman's sidekick, and he doesn't wear tights. He wears a manly mustache.

I'm disappointed about Katie. One aspect I liked about Batman Begins was that finally there was one true romance, and it looked like that the days of a new 'lover' every Batman flick, was over.

Katie's performance wasn't an award winning performance. But she's good looking and very likable, which is all Batman's girl needs to be. Even if she's not in the sequel, hopefully that romance will come back in a later film.

Batman doens't need a stronger actress, it just needs ONE actress for once. Not a dozen.

Guest Retro Rob

I think Denis Leary could pull off the joker. He has the right shaped face and he can do psycho pretty damn well.

... Well. That's stupid and petty. I mean, I'm as sick of the Katie Holmes/Tom Cruise bullshit as the next guy but WB's source sounds like a jilted ex-boyfriend. "We don't need her! We're getting a much BETTER actress and she'll be sorry she ever got engaged to that guy!"

I agree. You should hire an actress on the merits of her TALENT, not on whom she is marying. Besides, Tom has stolen more press away from 'War of the Worlds' than Katie did for 'Batman Begins.'

Her character just isn't need for a sequel.

I also agree. The next movie needs Harvey Dent as the DA, not Rachel. They could say she was promoted, or something...

The Scarecrow should have just killed her off.

Well, that would have just changed Batman's focus from the Joker to the Scarecrow in the sequel.

Guest SP-1

Personally, I think Rachel should return. She serves as something of a non-romantic anchor for Bruce now (since they more or less decided to not be romantic in BEGINS). I think Bruce needs that kind of anchor in his life, aside from Alfred.