TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
{''({o..o})''}

Comments that don't warrant a thread

That list is weak. Tobal? I wouldn't play that now but it wasn't bad. It certainly wasn't bad enough to be brought up in a list.

Shaq Fu isn't even that bad. It's not good but if it weren't for the silly premise and name nobody would care about it.

It's just about BAD NAMES.

Not BAD GAMES.

Just the NAMES that are bad, NOT necessarily how the game played.

Oh yeah....ok I should probably pay more attention. :huh:

Ok well I'll say that No One Can Stop Mr. Domino is actually a good name. It's just so weird. But I do agree with Umjammer Lammy. That name makes no sense, but I guess neither did most of that game's story.

For those of you with a Gamecube who have not yet picked up Day Of Reckoning 2, it's now Player's Choice, and it is the best wrestling game on the console so far. Nintendo has been really lucky with wrestling games since the SNES other than a few snafus. Fair warning, though, tag matches will be tough to get a 3 count in because the other partner always tries to break it up.

I play the arcade Tekken 5 Dark Resurrection all the time. I've played the PSP port quite a bit. Mostly in two player. It's technically an impressive port. It has almost all the content from the arcade version and the graphics are very close. The only reason I'm not that interested is because I play the arcade one so much against good competition I don't have much desire to play one player modes. Limitations of it being on a handheld mess up the two player game. It's noticably laggy in two player and I can barely tolerate the PSP dpad. If you're not that serious and didn't mind playing SFA 3 Max or Darkstalkers you'd probably find it fine but it's too unreliable for me.

I'm still kinda hyped though, I am going to buy the English version tomorrow. I got a PSP just for this. It'll be worth it for practice/testing and the novelty of having DR at home. I almost never use handhelds though. The only time I ever do anything where I'd play one for a length of time is traveling....usually to play DR somewhere. :huh:

I'll tell you anything you want to know about DR! Is it merciless? I assume you mean difficult? I do not find any version of T5 to be hard but I guess it's about the same.

Mortal Kombat Armageddon looks like trash. I wish I could NOT buy it. I know I will though. I am not even that interested in the story anymore. That was the only thing keeping my interest since the gameplay is the same as MKDA and MKD. Blaze as the final boss? What a weak boss that is. A minor background character turned thrown together playable hidden character is now the big bad for the supposed final game in the main story. So dumb.

I've been playing Final Fantasy VII again. I usually play through it about once a year. This is the first time where it's been kind of...lame. It hasn't aged well at all. I mean it's still pretty good but usually when I play through it I am instantly in love again. This time not so much. I think if I had to list my favorite games again FF VII would be in danger of losing it's #1 spot. This past year hasn't been good for my nostalgic favorites. I don't even like MK anymore.

The only Final Fantasy original Playstation game that hasn't aged to me is IX. I've always held a soft spot for IX and it feels very old school compared to VII and VIII. Technology is light years behind, old style characters like the original final fantasies, just FELT like a Final Fantasy game better than any of the other two to me. Plus Vivi fucking rules it.

Thanks, Anya.

What are some of the set-backs you've encountered with the D-Pad? Diagonals? Again, IGN preach that in practice it becomes fine, such as Tekken 5 on PS2. I am skeptical of that though.

I do own and greatly enjoy SFA3 Max, although I'm by no means a super-hardcore fighting game fan and mostly use it just for a quick entertainment hit. I've been doing LOADS of travelling lately, with even more to come, so I've really been looking for something fun I can play that rewards you the more you spend with it.

I actually think VIII aged better than VII. VIII was retarded, but really so was VII.

VII also has some weak graphics and bad music (the overworld theme makes me want to toss something at the screen). VIII's graphics actually hold up a bit, and the music was excellent.

What are some of the set-backs you've encountered with the D-Pad? Diagonals? Again, IGN preach that in practice it becomes fine, such as Tekken 5 on PS2. I am skeptical of that though.

Yeah, diagonals. It's not like it's impossible. If you are just standing there and hit d/f it'll come out. It's just inconsistent. In the heat of battle I often miss the end of a juggle or punishing a blocked move with bad recovery. Like with Julia I will end juggles with d,D/F+1,2 and when d/f+1 is a totally different move it's way to easy to screw it up with a bad dpad. No amount of practice is going to make the dpad design get any better. It's mostly "playable" but when I play the arcade version all the time I don't have the tolerance for that.

If you're looking for something to play casually for fun and you didn't mind the dpad for Alpha 3 you'll probably like it. At least assuming you liked T5. Tolerance for the dpad aside it's a great port. Playing the Japanese version was my first time playing PSP and I couldn't believe how close it was to arcade/ps2. And it's a good port of an already great game. DR is such an improvement over T5. Armor King has been totally redesigned, Lili and Dragunov are solid and everyone got 3 or 4 new moves and tweaks. I'm happy with how Namco upgraded Julia, it's hard to go back to 5.0 now.

Shaq Fu isn't even that bad. It's not good but if it weren't for the silly premise and name nobody would care about it.

YES! Finally someone who agrees with me. If it didn't have Shaq in it no one would remember it as anything other than pretty mediocre, certainly not one of the worst of all time. I thought the mummy was pretty cool, though.

FF9 was so forgettable, despite the fact that I'd played it more recently than 7 or 8, I had major trouble remembering things about the plot and character. I still am not sure who the major villian was, all i remembered was Vivi the little black wizard, and zidane had a tail. It also cemented my complete apathy towards RPGs that try to go backwards and deliver "old-school", between 9 and dragon quest, it's one of those buzzwords that immediatly turns me off to a game.

Official Nintendo Release Dates for upcoming DS and GBA game(s):

Game Boy Advance:

Final Fantasy V Advance (November 6th)

Nintendo DS:

Clubhouse Games (October 9th)

Nintendogs (Dalmatian) (October 16th)

Magical Starsign (October 23rd)

Pokemon Ranger (October 30th)

Children of Mana (October 30th)

Elite Beat Agents (November 6th)

Yoshi's Island 2 (November 13th)

Custom Robo Arena (December 4th)

Kirby Squeak Squad (December 4th)

EB/Gamestop have estimated release dates of 3/1/07 for Legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass, and 1/2/07 for Phoenix Wright: Justice for All. So those are by no means confirmed, the lack of a statement from Nintendo contradicting it means neither will likely make US 07 (although PW was figured as 07 anyway).

Pointless trivia tidbit: the DS Lite was the top selling game system in America for June. Yes, *America*.

"Nearly 600,000 units sold!

In a triumph for innovation, the dual-screen Nintendo DS portable became America's top-selling video game system of any type in June, according to independent sales numbers just released by the NPD Group. The introduction of the new DS Lite version, featuring a smaller profile and more brilliant display, boosted total sales to nearly 600,000 units, almost double that for any other game device, and alone represented more than a third of total industry system purchases for the month." -- Nintendo.com

Guest Smues

What's Nintendogs Dalmation? Just the normal game with dalmation available right off the bat without having to find the fireman's hat? And I'd guess some new items or something?

And boo having to wait that long for Phantom Hourglass. Yay for Yoshi's Island 2 coming out this year.

FF9 was forgettable except for the ending, which is extremely memorable as the worst ending in videogame history. CONGRATULATION has nothing on that pile of swill when comparing all time bad endings. All plot inconsistancies explained away with 'I sang your song.'. Nice! Quina shenanigans. Quality! A never-before-seen evil tree as the final boss. Awesome!

I heard rumors that T5:DR PSP could somehow be hooked up to play on a real TV relatively easily. Is there any truth to that, or is it just people at TZ holding onto false hope?

I heard rumors that T5:DR PSP could somehow be hooked up to play on a real TV relatively easily. Is there any truth to that, or is it just people at TZ holding onto false hope?

There's one type where it's like a camera that hooked up to it and shows up on a TV. They seem crappy. The other type is a mod, you have to replace the real PSP faceplate. It allows you to use any PS2 controller.

in all the glut of lord of the rings games that came out around and after the movies, was there ever a true 3d free-roaming middle earth game?

I was playing Shadow of the Colossus, and it has this huge empty world, with LOTR esque landscapes, rivers, bridges, ruins, forests, everything, it's pretty remarkable actually. I kept thinking, this game could have been the ultimate lotr game.

About time Elite Beat Agents got a release date. Now I can add it to my burgeoning pre-order list.

Can anybody recommend a good PS2 arcade controller? I've been on a fighting game binge as of late and really prefer to use a joystick rather than the d-pad.

FF9 was forgettable except for the ending, which is extremely memorable as the worst ending in videogame history. CONGRATULATION has nothing on that pile of swill when comparing all time bad endings. All plot inconsistancies explained away with 'I sang your song.'. Nice! Quina shenanigans. Quality! A never-before-seen evil tree as the final boss. Awesome!

Don't forget - that's a never-before-seen evil tree that completely rips off Zeromus from FFIV. You know, the original good never-before-seen boss.

FFIX is very similar to Die Another Day for the James Bond movie series - intended to be "fan service" with a ton of references to past games/movies, but ultimately dissatisfying to most fans (casual and hardcore) alike. That said, I think I'd still rather play through FFIX before any of the other PS1 games, just because it's got the best combat out of that group.

About time Elite Beat Agents got a release date. Now I can add it to my burgeoning pre-order list.

I'm less than excited, now. This partial songlist is cringe-inducing.

Steriogram - Walkie Talkie Man

Deep Purple - Highway Star

Eve 6 - Inside Out

Ricky Martin - Livin' la Vida Loca

Savage Garden - Truly, Madly, Deeply

Weird Al Yankovic - Hardware Store

Linkin Park - In the End

The Offspring - Hit That

Queens of the Stone Age - Go With the Flow

Kylie Minogue - Locomotion

Guns N' Roses - Sweet Child O' Mine

Barenaked Ladies - One Week

I think I'll just save up and buy Ouendan.

Guest ABOBO

I'm not really surprised. Most people felt burned by the relative lack of quality in 3 & 4, when compared to the first two. They weren't really bad games, but I know they didn't feel like the games I had wanted. I dunno, I need sleep.

Recently with my Gamecube, whenever I put in a disc its says no disc. Restarting and trying to load the disc do nothing. Is there a solution to this or am I fucked?

Recently with my Gamecube, whenever I put in a disc its says no disc. Restarting and trying to load the disc do nothing. Is there a solution to this or am I fucked?

I dunno. But you could probably find a used gamecube cheap..OR..you could hold out a couple months for a W!! and play your Cube games on that too.

Speaking of the W!!, Im encouraged by the fact that it seems to be gathering some 3rd party support..over on Joystiq they say that Gearbox is more than likely going to be putting out a Brothers in Arms title on the W!!.

oh and Hulk Whoregan strikes again:

Not only did we just get word that the Pokémon franchise would be holding its 10th anniversary party at Bryant Park in New York City on Aug. 8, but a lovely PR gal was kind enough to tell us that the Hulkster, Hulk Hogan, would be hosting the festivities. ARE YOU READY FOR THAT BROTHER!?

Even more delicious unconfirmed word of mouth suggests that there will be musical acts during the partaayy, with Brooke Hogan possibly performing. Score!

At the event, little Hulkamaniacs and Pokémon fans will be able to watch the pros get busy with it in a Pokémon XD tournament on the GameCube. They will also be able to download characters and be the first in the "country to play upcoming Pokémon video games." So, mark your calendar kids, cause from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. your world belongs to Pokémon.

gWil: Gamecube DRE? If you're in warranty, call Nintendo. There's a 1 yr. Hardware warranty.

If not-- hit up gamefaqs. There's a Lens Calibration Guide there that definitely sounds like your problem:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/gamecube/game/915781.html

I'll also put this in the other thread I started for the NES, because it certainly could help others.

I'm not really surprised. Most people felt burned by the relative lack of quality in 3 & 4, when compared to the first two. They weren't really bad games, but I know they didn't feel like the games I had wanted. I dunno, I need sleep.

I know what you mean. But I gave it a try and frankly its nearly as good as Suikoden 2. ...yes, I repeat, its nearly as good as Suikoden 2. I ain't taking that back. I had to restart my save, because I somehow corrupted it, and for the most part its a really good game. The VAs a little shoddy, but with all the Stars voiced and then some, its pretty good as a whole.

Battles are just like old, wars are pretty fun, and the duels are quick and painless. Just like Suikoden 2. And the story for the most part is great. Oh and the trailer has the wrong "bad" person identified. ^_^

I'd recommend it to be honest.