TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
{''({o..o})''}

Comments that don't warrant a thread

I missed that, BA. I wonder what that says about the ending to the game though.

Well according to wikipedia, the game takes place in 1984, so unless it does a flash forward at some point, I'm guess the character will likely be alive at the end of it.

GTA: Vice City Stories trailer

Playing as the late brother of Lance Vance is as decent a character as any other I suppose.

Like the use of music in the trailer.

he's dead? i assume that's something I must have missed whilst playing VC, but does that mean he gets gunned down at the end? Cause that would actually be cool.

Unless this is a different brother, yeah, he's dead by the time Tommy runs into Lance in Vice City. When Vercetti berates Lance for trying to go after Diaz early, his reply is "He killed my brother. What did you expect me to do? Mow his lawns?

I think the brother he's referring to is the brother in the early scene when they're trading money and drugs, and everyone gets shot but Tommy. Ken mentioned them being a brother duo in the scene before.

For the RPG fans here...

Whats a good RPG I could pick up? Generally, I'm not a huge RPG fan but I've finished a few. The key for me, is they have to have either a superb storyline from nearly the beginning, or a different style of fighting / playing to keep me interested. I've beaten Chrono Trigger, SMRPG, Star Ocean 2 off the top of my head, and nearly beat a few others. Like FF6.

I'm also not a fan of cut scenes, and actually kinda prefer text to voice acting, although I doubt that many big name RPG's anymore have no voice acting. Generally, less fluff more gameplay.

I'm picky, as you can see. I'm thinking maybe Shadow Hearts, Disgaea, a SMT game, or something like Dark Cloud. Just not sure. Any suggestions?

IGN announced that Super Paper Mario will be coming out on Wii instead of Gamecube. Fair enough, I suppose. The Cube is dead anyway.

For the RPG fans here...

Whats a good RPG I could pick up? Generally, I'm not a huge RPG fan but I've finished a few. The key for me, is they have to have either a superb storyline from nearly the beginning, or a different style of fighting / playing to keep me interested. I've beaten Chrono Trigger, SMRPG, Star Ocean 2 off the top of my head, and nearly beat a few others. Like FF6.

I'm also not a fan of cut scenes, and actually kinda prefer text to voice acting, although I doubt that many big name RPG's anymore have no voice acting. Generally, less fluff more gameplay.

I'm picky, as you can see. I'm thinking maybe Shadow Hearts, Disgaea, a SMT game, or something like Dark Cloud. Just not sure. Any suggestions?

Shadow Hearts is always a good choice, but just so you know Covenent is a continuation of the original, whereas To The New World is more or less a new game. If you like strategy RPGs, I'd recommend highly, Disgaea (if you can find a cheap copy, HA) and its sequel. While Suikoden III and IV weren't that great, number V is a blast (speaking of which, I need to stop being lazy and finish it). Dark Cloud 2 would probably be a better purchase.

And I see you like SO2, avoid SO3. It sucked. And yes, most RPGs are now supporting voice acting.

I figured SO3 was a bust since I remember it has a huuuuge build to the actual storyline, and alot of cut scenes.

I'd probably try and kill something out of frustration with it. Kinda sucks since SO2 was good.

Dragon Quest 8 is a lot of fun, despite having to level grind here and there, it's pretty fun and has an interesting, if not totally original story. If you haven't played Final Fantasy 10, I'd reccomend that as well, it probably keeps you in the story better, and it's easier, but they're both Greatest Hits now and worth checking out. I guess I'd say DQ8 before 10, though

Do any of you guys have a Xbox 360 Live trial code from a game or something that you don't have any need for? If so, I'd really appreciate someone letting me use it.

Anyway, in Lego news:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=145768

Holy LEGO Batman!

Friday 8-Sep-2006 1:10 PM Exclusive: The DC Comics Dark Knight is brick-ing it for another seminal Traveller's Tales Lego adventure!

The next licensed LEGO game from veteran UK developer, Traveller's Tales will be based on the massive DC Comics superhero, Batman, CVG can exclusively reveal today.

Just days prior to the release of the next entry in massively successful LEGO Star Wars series, CVG's investigative reports have learned that work has already begun on a franchise follow-up, staring the Caped Crusader in a block-busting adventure through a LEGO brick Gotham city.

No further details were offered from our sources, though we're sure that - considering how much fantastic fun the first two LEGO Star Wars games were - Batman's blocky-debut is certainly something to look forward to. While we would've probably opted for something more in the vein of LEGO Eastenders, the Dark Knight's deep universe and wide-array of characters and villains perfectly lends itself to the Lego spirit, and we're bursting to pilot a block-built Batmobile through the Gotham streets.

Advertisement:

When we contacted Traveller's Tales the studio as expected declined to comment on LEGO Batman, although further delving led us to development director, Jonathan Smith who when asked about the game told us that considering the studio's long running partnership with LEGO, "we will definitely will be making more LEGO games in the future."

Exciting stuff indeed. We will of course shine the big, CVG spotlight skyward when more word on LEGO Batman reaches our ears.

And to give you an idea of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICOU-2EXhPw

Considering how dark it is, I'd almost say that. Except the music lets down in many areas.

Oh, and all you need to do to make Dragon Quest less of a grind, is aquire um... Fatman's whistle tech. Whistle automatically gets battles drawn to you, its pretty much a required technique to get.

...can't believe I forgot Yangus' name. That's terrible of me

For the RPG fans here...

Xenogears.

Well, there's Valkyrie Profile: Silmeria, which is coming this year. As I mentioned before, it's got a very different style of gameplay. I'm not sure about the cutscenes, though. If you have or are getting a PSP, Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth seems to meet all of the criteria you speak of. It has cutscenes, but they were mainly added to the original PS1 title, so you could skip 'em.

I find it funny that Star Ocean 3 isn't even going to try to make excuses for Star Ocean 3.

The Kingdom Hearts series is pretty good (although most would say pass on COM unless you want every little storyline detail of KH2). The first game isn't too cutscene-heavy, but you do get them at pivotal storyline moments. Yet, they are unskippable. Kingdom Hearts 2 has a *lot* of cutscenes, but for some reason I didn't really mind it. The prologue sucks, though. So I'm not sure they'll grab you. But the battle system is real-time, almost a hack-and-slasher but with magic and summons.

I hate cutscenes though.

Xenogears.

I find it funny that Star Ocean 3 isn't even going to try to make excuses for Star Ocean 3.

I wasn't going to argue about it, especially since nobody actually brought up a valid point against the game.

Dark Cloud 2 is awesome.

It also has skippable cutscenes. Its story isn't FF like in detail but its pretty good, and the gameplay is AWESOME. It's like the GTA of RPGs, its got tons and tons of stuff to do. Really reminds me of Zelda OOT except not quite as "medieval". Battle system is real time lock on a la oOT

I really liked Dark Cloud 2, what I played of it. I'm not a huge fan of the dungeons tho. We're talking randomly-generated, with weapons that deteriorate. It's basically a 3D dungeon-crawl with a charming plot, character, and cutscenes. However, it was only an extended rental.

Considering how dark it is, I'd almost say that. Except the music lets down in many areas.

Oh, and all you need to do to make Dragon Quest less of a grind, is aquire um... Fatman's whistle tech. Whistle automatically gets battles drawn to you, its pretty much a required technique to get.

...can't believe I forgot Yangus' name. That's terrible of me

I've got it, but...maybe I have the term wrong, I always thought level grinding was when you went out and just fought and fought and fought the normal baddies while not particularly advancing through the map, but rather working to level up and possibly acquire a new attack to take on a boss or such

Well, yes, but I usually parked for a bit, leveled up and then went on my way. Only took me an hour's worth of fights on auto to level up enough to get to the next place. Not much of a grind.

I consider grinding 2-3 hours in the same spot. And after you reach a certain area of the game, I forgot which, it becomes a breeze to level up and gain equipment so you don't have to level up as much. Earlier on, its pretty harsh.

Also, my biggest complain on Star Ocean 3 was the fact that it basically made everything you did in the first two Star Ocean's absolutely pointless and worthless. That and it kills the chance or hope for any sequel doesn't help it.

Man, I got halfway through DQ8, then my brother "borrowed" it. I don't expect to see it again.

I really enjoyed it, though. The art style was cool. Very old-school RPG, but then, it's Dragon Quest.

Dark Cloud 2 was a fun RPG to play. Getting ideas for creations by taking pictures of everyday objects and combining them was a very neat idea and they executed it well. The little golf minigame could get maddening in parts though.

Well, I figured staring at my 360 wasn't doing me any good, so I've gone back to finish all those games I started but never finished. First up is the .Hack series. I whipped through the 1st game, and I'm about halfway through the 2nd one (if my memory serves). My first time through I stopped about halfway through the 3rd game when I hit a needlessly complicated part (you have to solo a dungeon that you're woefully unprepared and underlevelled for) so I'm trying to get my character as far along as I can get him (getting all the rare items, weapons, and armor, etc.). We'll see how it goes. Plus, all this dovetails nicely into the .Hack/GU series that starts up late next month I believe.

I'm thinking it's either fake or was partially faked, especially toward the bottom of the text

Playing through Super Castlevania IV the past two days reminded me of why I don't like old school gaming much. The first half was so good then the rest is full of cheap deaths like bottomless pits. Ok fine but then you have to start the whole level again? The phasing out of that archiac game design at the end of the SNES era and through the PSX is the best thing to ever happen to games.

Well, chaos, I didn't find out about Whistle till like level 17. At which point, I started kicking myself because its so easily grabble of a technic at like 8, I think. Being able to instantly summon battles is much easier than just wondering around from town going "common stupid battle, common".

If you had to grind in DQ8, you must be awful at playing RPGs. It's the easiest game in the series. Very fun, though.

It's more a matter of needing certain techniques or gold or having enough hit points to hang through attacks long enough to heal.

Blech. The sad part is I'd actually pick up that bundle if it included a good game (Lumines in particular would have been nice) and a movie that isn't terrible.