TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
{''({o..o})''}

Comments that don't warrant a thread

Got a copy of Samurai Legend Musashi from my sis to play. Its not a terrible game surprisingly. Typical hack and slash, with terrible camera, decent gameplay, but the music is awesome.

...and a hero trying to be heroic sounding, yet failing, is always a novelty favorite of mine.

Back to the RPG discussion. It just seems I can't find a good one that really grabs my attention like in High School. I rattled off FFVII, Chrono Trigger, FFVIII, FFIX, Thousand Arms, Chrono Cross, Legend of Legaia, Legaia II, Saga Frontier, Xenogears, FF IV, and a few others I can't remember back in those days. Since then though......nothing! :(

The more I think about it, the more I realize that Breath of Fire V could be considered a masterpiece. Everyone should play it.

Somwtimes they don;t have to be, unless its an open skill/class system like FFX.

I want a return to the old Gold Box games, but much more updated. Not like what is on the market now, though I like NWN... old-school but brought up to speed. Too many bells and whistles make a lot of unnecessary clutter.

Guest Smues

Linky

Gran Turismo HD: Two Versions, Tons Microtransactions

Famitsu reports a brand new model for Gran Turismo on PS3.

by Luke Smith, 09/20/2006

38 of 38 users recommend this story.

There's horse armor and then there's the kind of microtransactions that Famitsu is reporting (via: Beyond3D and the vitriolic NeoGAF). According to the Famitsu inteview with Kazunori Yamauchi, Gran Turismo HD will have two SKUs on the PS3. One of these games will ship with no cars, all of them will be purchased via microtransactions.

The other, Gran Turismo HD: Premium, will ship with two courses and 30 cars, with an additional 30 cars and an additional two courses online at a later date. The Premium game is being considered a prologue to the PS3's eventual Gran Turismo 5.

The microtransaction-focused game, Gran Turismo HD: Classic will be the online-focused entrant into the GT-series. In this game, players will (reportedly) start with no cars or courses available to them. Instead, they will need to purchase their stable of cars and courses to race on. The pricing reported in the Famitsu piece indicated that cars would cost between 50-100 yen ($0.43-$0.85) and courses between 200-500 yen ($1.71-$4.26). There are approximiately 750 cars and 50 tracks available for purchase in the GT: HD Classic. Let's do the math:

750 cars for $0.50-$1.00 (Sony will round-up, don't you think?)

50 tracks for $1.50-$4.50

A complete copy of the game will cost gamers somewhere between $426.50 and $975, and that's without factoring in whatever Sony decides to charge for the menus (since that's all you'll get with GT HD: Classic).

Does this sound a little familiar? It should. Phil Harrison alluded to a possible future like this one last June in OPM.

I'll give you an example; Kazunori [Yamauchi, producer of the Gran Turismo series] would kill me for this: Imagine Gran Turismo shipping on a disc with one car and one track. And then you can browse, online, a dynamic circuit of vehicles that's growing every day because either the car manufacturers are adding new vehicles or we're adding new vehicles. And you can see a specific-type car that's being called up and say, "I think I'll play with that one. Let me download and play it." Maybe the business model allows you to play it for a day; maybe the business model allows you to own it forever. But that content is now yours on your hard drive. Or [maybe you could download] new tracks, new music, whole games.

Now, is it possible that the game will be a full-priced title with a built-in download system that allows users to download cars and tracks equal to the number of the game's retail price? We hope the model ends up similar to this. However, right now, details are extremely sparse, and Sony has to have an answer to these questions -- most of the people who can answer are over in Tokyo, we'll update if we hear back.

Welcome to next-gen.

Sony has been hyping that kind of thing since before the PS2 launched.

I hate "microtransactions".

That story regarding Gran Turismo is insane. I'm not too familiar with the series, but didn't the last entry have that many or nearly that many cars and tracks for a grand total of $49.99?

That story regarding Gran Turismo is insane. I'm not too familiar with the series, but didn't the last entry have that many or nearly that many cars and tracks for a grand total of $49.99?

That game can now lick my nutsack.

I actually like GT. :(

Guest Hotbutter Spoontoaster
That game can now lick my nutsack.

I actually like GT. :(

gthd03.jpg

gthd04.jpg

gthd05.jpg

gthd09.jpg

gthd12.jpg

gthd13.jpg

EDIT: I don't know what the hell is wrong with these images, they were working a second ago.

Yeah, just mauled the bastards with Liu Kang. Kintaro is so insanely easy. Likewise Shao Kahn when you get the hang of it and play like a cheap bastard.

Keep distance, dodge projective, shoot fireball. Keep distance, wait for hammer shot, shoot fireball. I win.

PAL versions don't have MKII. I find this out after buying it. I hear it is buggy as hell anyway though.

It's the Midway Arcade Classics 2 version of MK II. So emulation of the arcade. It's decent enough. There's glitches but they're not game breakingly bad, it's just stuff like the music cutting out during the credits or messed up shadows.

It's the best home version of MK II at least. A lot better than crap like PSX, Saturn and 32X.

Guest Smues
It's the Midway Arcade Classics 2 version of MK II. So emulation of the arcade. It's decent enough. There's glitches but they're not game breakingly bad, it's just stuff like the music cutting out during the credits or messed up shadows.

And you can't fight Smoke.

Yeah, I like how it took them like a year to realize that mistake.

Fighting Smoke isn't interesting anyway though.

I don't understand why I've read so many people find Scorp to be uber-tough. I thought he was one of the easier bosses, albeit by far the most fun.

Funnily enough, Reptile kicked the tar out of me when I faced him, but was vulnerable and open to every attack when Shang was masquerading as him at the end. You could take down half his health bar while he was Reptile by just never letting him stand for longer than a second so he can morph back.

With my penchant for purchasing off-the-wall games, I plunked down $20 for Cooking Mama for the DS. Fairly sterilized and straight-forward variation of Wario Ware really; Simply follow the given instructions and complete the task within the allotted time limit.

I feel a bit underwhelmed but not completely ripped off since it's already at bargain bin prices. Still, I can't help thinking that they should've ramped the frantic pace back up to Wario Ware levels and either thrown in an Iron Chef tie-in, or completely ripped off the format. Now that would've totally been worth the $20 right there.

With my penchant for purchasing off-the-wall games, I plunked down $20 for Cooking Mama for the DS. Fairly sterilized and straight-forward variation of Wario Ware really; Simply follow the given instructions and complete the task within the allotted time limit.

I feel a bit underwhelmed but not completely ripped off since it's already at bargain bin prices. Still, I can't help thinking that they should've ramped the frantic pace back up to Wario Ware levels and either thrown in an Iron Chef tie-in, or completely ripped off the format. Now that would've totally been worth the $20 right there.

As long we're talking about DS...

Volume 3 of the DS Download station is at EB/GS and I tried it out... the Danny Phantom game actually is not bad, feels a little like old-school Raiden... but it's too easy. And I don't care at all about the license. If my kid wanted it, though, I'd feel fine.

Elite Beat Agents is a MUST BUY, but you knew that.

March of the minis I can live without.

Clubhouse Games is gonna be good. I played Othello. One of the neat things about it is the chatroom, but I think you should try out the demos for yourself.

SPECTROBES

Blitz the League is now a Greatest Hit on PS2. I grabbed it this weekend, it still has the feel of the one I played on the N64, which is really cool. I'll try to come back and say more after I play more than the one game I did, but for now I will say this: long load times pre game

The load times just kill the game. It is pretty fun just demolishing QBs on every down, but it takes 10 years just to get to the gameplay because of the load times. Then if you want to save after, 10 more minutes of loading. Whee.

The other issue is that there are too many money plays that the CPU cannot stop and will not adjust to. You can literally call the same play every time, and just thrash the computer (eg a go route with an HB...pretty much unstoppable). Once you get a lead, they abandon the run and you can just play a cover two deep, rush with a player-controlled linebacker, and just kill shit dead.

One big feature of the game (for me) was the detailed uniform-design process...it's got a ton of options, and you can design some pretty slick uniforms. So much better than ESPN 2k5's pathetic excuse for custom teams.

So the gameplay is fun but super easy, and the load times will make you never want to start the thing up just to get to a quickgame. It might be worth 20$ on Xbox, assuming the load times are severely reduced.